Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

Appearance- Dark amber, with a cloudy light khaki head.

Aroma- Incredible aroma, caramel notes. Hop presence boldly noticed.

Taste- Balanced bitterness. Never harsh/ or always harsh... Lingering bitterness with competing sweetness. Barleywineish. One of the most balanced great tasting beers ever!

Notes- Drink this beer 'after' the others that you're trying. Very few can keep up.

beerinator, Aug 12, 2003

watchnerd, Jul 14, 2014
3.68/5  rDev -13.8%

Pours a clean looking copper-orange. Slight white head that goes awat pretty quickly. Good lacing and sense of carbonation.

Smell is stringent bitter hops with a little bit of sweetness and dark fruit and a little too much alcohol in the nose for my liking.

Taste is very bitter upfront followed up with a little bit of a hoppy-grapefruit taste and then finishing with a little bit of dark fruit and alcohol. A very intense, at times abrasive taste. Alltogether interesting but i'm not sure how much it compells me to go back to it.

Moutfeel is pretty smooth, the carbonation is evident but not too much for the style.

Overall this is an interesting beer with a lot to take in. I'm just not sure it really offers something I would want to keep going back to. If you are a fan of the style in general, give it a shot.... if you aren't a fan of intense, bitter beers, perhaps you should steer clear. For me, as a one time a year offering, it works, but for beers in this range of abv, i'd much rather have a solid RIS or DIPA.

mechamifune, Oct 29, 2011

hannaho, Jan 05, 2012

bilhelm, Jun 03, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -18%

blackcloud, Apr 01, 2014

Corburk, Nov 29, 2013

AleHunter805, Aug 05, 2014
4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

ruby golden color with a syrupy look to it. This beer looks like it means business, even before you pop the top. Tried arrogant bastard so this could only be better right? RIGHT!! .Smell is malty caramel with a hint of alcohol...nice. Once this beer hits the tongue thats when the hops hit you. This is a great blend of HUGE sweet maltiness and HUGE bitter/citrous hops. I could find something new in the taste every sip and the high ABV is a great bonus.Great mouthfeel, with a nice taste lingering after every sip, coating the mouth with malt and sizzling my tongue with hops!!, and if I had a steel liver drinkability would be a 5, so a 4.5 is fair. One of the best of any style. top notch beer hands down. Whenever you see this beer....BUY IT.

avylover, Mar 08, 2003
3.43/5  rDev -19.7%

When I tried Double Bastard in Nov. of 2004. I was just getting into American craft ale. I had liked Belgians before then but was still a little hesitant about IPA's. (too strong) This beer was a turning point for me then: I really loved it and thought it was the most crazy, strongest beer I had ever had. In 12 months time I have drank so much craft brew, gotten into to crazy hoppy beers, and the IPA become my favorite style. (but I still love me them Belgians)
Upon tasting the 2005 version one of three things has happened.
1. My palette has changed so much that this isn't even that hoppy at all.
2. They changed the recipe a lot.
3. I just spent the weekend at the toronado wet hop fest and "balanced" beers will never taste hoppy again.
The rant on the back really seems uncalled for. This is a nice mellow barely wine with a bit of hop bite. I really am enjoying it but am surprised by how mellow it is, both my memory and by the rant on the bottle. That, and all the hype that there was a shortage and Bev mo has 20 cases of the stuff...worried for nothing. Anyways I think it's a combo of 1,2 and 3 for me. This beer will be now be reviewed on if I had drank it for the first time.
appearance: poured into a tulip glass, double bastard is red, blood red, but much more transparent than red wine. still it's pretty thick and the head lasts pretty long for a beer of this strength.
smell: alcohol dominates for me. work a little harder and I smell some nice malts. good for style i suppose.
taste: first taste was a shock how smooth it was, not how crazy. But it's good. Reminds me of cognac. I think Arrogant is hoppier than this one. The alcohol is dominant again....which gets more and more cloying. The beer is not sweet, nor is it hoppy. Ok there is some sweetness, but it is drowed by alcohol. VERY, alcoholic tasting.
mouthfeel: is quite watery.
drinkability: I have to be honest and say that this beer is getting on my nerves. Once a year is plenty.
Well I'm glad I had a bottle, but that Jubale in my fridge is actually sounding more fun than the rest of this bottle. I know that this beer has been changed in BA from a Double IPA, to an American Barleywine, to an American Strong Ale. I'd like to say in my mind it's almost a Winter Warmer, yes strong enough to be a barleywine. But I could see packing a bottle of this stuff on a backpacking trip.

pjwilson, Nov 08, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

A. A rich mahogany brown colour with a cream coloured head that vanishes a bit too quickly.

S. Oh my goodness, where to begin. Cherries, cassia bark, molasses, some spiciness. It reminds me very much of an old fashioned cough drop, and in a good way.

T. Wow. All of the above and more. Sweet malts, bready malts, hops, of course, and a superb bitter finish. Strong hints of alcohol

M. Not too heavy for such a big beer, and very, very smooth.

O. Definitely not something Stone should put out year round. It's great to look forward to and even better to actually drink, but a beer like this on hand all the time is... well, you really can have too much of a good thing. I have to get me a couple more of these and stash them away. I think it would turn into something really rather special. I want to see it dry out a little. Fresh, it's fantastic, but a little on the sweet side.

omnigrits, Nov 07, 2011

Skunkyluvmuffin, Jul 10, 2014

Kappakoosh, Dec 26, 2013

Dybasi, Jun 09, 2014
4.53/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance...Poured a beautiful dark amber with a thick tan head...and good lacing...
Aroma...a little weak to what I expected...caramel malt roasted malt tiny bit of hops...but mostly the caramel malt
Taste...simply put...big...complex...caramel malt, piney hops, extremely well balanced slight bitter finish...big and good tastes
Mouthfeel...full and actually bit creamy...
I liked this alot...very good beer

stegmakk, Jan 01, 2004

kwa357, Nov 20, 2012

warmbier804, May 29, 2014
4.55/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Dense, murky orange-red, with a tan head that quickly bubbles away to almost nothing. Some lacing.

S: The best part of the beer. Lots of grapefruit hops, very sweet-smelling and fruity. Some grassy vegetative smells blended in, and a touch of the bitterness from the hops.

T: Much more bitter and mouth-puckering than the smell. The hops hit strong up front and gradually give way to a sweeter grapefruit-heavy finish. Some warming alcohol on the way down, though it's otherwise very well hidden. Typically delicious and intense Stone offering, but also very smooth and creamy despite the heavy flavors.

O: Another great offering in the Bastard line.

sevenarts, Mar 27, 2012

BeerNW, Jan 19, 2014
Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.