Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

c-rum, Mar 06, 2014

OptionParalysis, Jul 16, 2013

Chris_Panos, Dec 12, 2013

JoeyStats707, Apr 01, 2014

RyanCrawford, Jun 19, 2014
4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

Goddamn. This beer is ridiculous. If you have to cross 5 state lines to find this stuff, you should. I really don't know what else to say. The last beer that made me utter that from my lips was Rochefort 10. It is easily my favorite offering from Stone up to this point. I picked up two bottles of this in Virginia, from Once Upon a Vine, and I should have bought the place out. I can't buy this brew in Texas, and it is a damn shame. I hate you TABC - why won't you allow more Stone beers than just the AB and the IPA? WHY?!?

Poured part of a 2006 22oz. bomber into a Double Bastard glass.

Appearance - Poured out of the bottle a thick translucent ruby brown. It produced a one finger off white/tan head that slowly dissipated. When the brew warmed to room temperature, it became perfectly transparent. Looks absolutely delicious.

Smell - Sweet. Toffee, caramel malt, vanilla, and burnt sugar. Dark fruits like plum, prunes and figs. A shit ton of oily, resinous hops - very citrus grapefruit in nature. Oh yeah, and booze. Heavenly.

Taste - Oh my god. Beer doesn't taste much better than this. The scent doesn't do enough justice to entice you into the perfection of its flavor. Sweet caramel malt front, intermingled with toffee and burnt sugar and dark fruit. It evolves seductively into an insane, bitter hop ending. All of the flavors are intermixed with the boozy 10%ABV. Highly reminiscent of a barleywine. It is a perfect balance between malt and hops.

Mouthfeel - Perfect. Perfect carbonation, dry bitter hop finish, and goes down smooth. Medium to full bodied.

Drinkability - Perfect for a beer this strong. This beer is an extremely easy drinker, but I drank it extremely slow to savor every single sip. Wussies might not want to session this because of the ABV, but they are wussies. If I had easy access to this beer, I would drink it all the time.

This is far and away better than the original Arrogant Bastard. Find this beer now. You shouldn't be wasting your time reading this. You should have stolen your mom's car and be halfway across the state by now.

MiguelMandingo, Sep 28, 2007
4.1/5  rDev -4%

So far, I've been wowed by Arrogant Bastard and disappointed by Ruination. Time to try the big bad Double Bastard.

Served in a pint glass, poured from a 22 oz. bomber.

A - An almost opaque dark amber with a big, tan pillow of foam that sticks around forever and leaves lots of lacing.

S - Malty sweet, short but sharp alcohol bite on the nose. Toffee, pine, caramel, grapefruit, and so much more assault the sinuses. I take points off for lack of intensity. Gets very fruity on the nose when it warms up.

T - A substantial deal more bitter than regular Arrogant Bastard. Lots of big malt/sugary sweetness once again intermingling with strong hop/coffee-like bitterness. It's unrelenting, all over the place, and in your face, but I can totally respect that. Sweetness really comes through and the bitterness mellows when it warms up, rewarding my persistent palate with lots of sugary love.

M - Excellent level of carbonation gives some lightness of body to this thick, heavy brew.

D - Negligible alcohol burn and great flavor countered by a powerful ABV and lots of bitterness. Still very drinkable, but will tide you over for the whole day if you decide to have a whole bomber by yourself.

Overall - I can't really tell if I like this better than AB or not. Both are uncompromising powerhouses of flavor and dangerously drinkable. As the bottle clearly says, it's not for the faint of heart. It might not even be for the fairly stout of heart, as I'm learning right now. I'll defeat this one like I did the others, but this one put up one hell of a fight.

DannyS, Apr 18, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

I've long been a fan of Arrogant Bastard ale, especially the oaked version. I first tried Double Bastard a couple years ago, and to be honest I don't really remember much about it. Found a bomber recently and decided to give it another whirl!

A - Very hazy orange and red, similar to fresh apple cider. A one finger tan head tops it off but dissipates quickly, yet leaves very sticky lacing.

S - Piney hops and fresh apples. Seems to be an apple theme here perhaps? Hints of oak and bready malt come to life after the initial hop blast.

T - The taste of this ale is very complex. Initially, a blast of sweet caramel and malt is present, giving way to a dry earthy hop blast. The finish again returns to caramel and malt flavors with a good amount of woody oak flavor. There is a lingering flavor of honey and citrus hops. Definitely more notes of apple in the aftertaste as well. Taking a fresh breath of air after each sip is wonderful, as there is a noticeable taste of crisp apples, piney hops, and caramel left in your mouth. The beer turns more hoppy as it warms. I'm very glad that the alcohol is so well hidden but that may also be due to the somewhat overly sweet aspect of the beer. Still, there are so many flavors here to ponder and enjoy that make it simply a delight to drink.

M - Chewy and somewhat heavy, but not overly carbonated. Slick and oily on the lips.

D - Much more sweet than I was expecting and definitely a strong strong ale. At 11.2%, I doubt anyone would consider this a session beer.

Overall I was pretty blown away by this. I was expecting something more along the lines of an Imperial IPA but this is definitely not that. Very complex, sweet brew with a hoppy undertone. I might as well move on to PBR after this next glass because my palate is destroyed! Another great beer from the folks at Stone.

BeerPhan86, Apr 23, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Reviewed from notes on 8-6-10.

A: Pours a dirty, murky brown-amber into my snifter. A medium pour yields a tiny head that leaves behind a clumpy, long lasting beige film that cover the majority of the beer. The carbonation bubbles mosey at a medium march. A parabolic arch of lacing is left behind with each sip, which breaks into dots and snaky lines. This beer looks mysterious.

S: A thick, musty caramel malt scent is the biggest player in the smell play. This is very sweet smelling with some raisin, fig, and plum notes also prominent. A banana breadiness is also climbing into my nose, along with a slight citrus hop presence. DB smells huge and delicious and it makes me very excited to drink it.

T: Musty, sweet caramel malts are also the dominant taste, but there is an earthy hop bitterness accompanying the malts that I did not pick up in the smell. This hop presence certainly does not balance the sweetness, but it does add a wonderful cleansing of the palate at the finale of each pull. The raisin, plum, fig, and banana bread notes that I found in the smell add a nice complexity to the overall taste and round out a big and phenomenal beer.

M: DB is creamy and full bodied with an appropriate hop bite at the finish. The sweetness really coats the palate with a nice film and then the hop cleansing dries off the film nicely.

D: Well, it took me the better part of two hours to drink this behemoth, so I'm not sure how "drinkable" is really is, but do know this: it's damned good and I really enjoyed exploring its nuances.

TCHopCraver, Sep 06, 2010

aklude, Feb 16, 2014
4.36/5  rDev +2.1%

dshansen1184, Sep 21, 2014
4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

2003 vintage, poured with a hazy dark amber rubish brown color witha dark tan head that fades to a skim after awhile. hoppy alcoholic aroma, but what of course this is the double bastard after all. some hints of sweet malty background in there but they are fairly hidden until you taste it. warming alcohol up front followed by a good solid hoppy bittereness that isn't too overdominating. nicely balanced malt flovors that seemed to have desintigrated over the course of a year in my fridge. I would have like it if this had a little more malt background, but it's still one hell of a barleywine.

2004 vintage poured in an arrogant bastard glass both courtesy of Gueuzedude, poured with a creamy off white head and a deep garnet hazy color. resiny hoppy aroma with underlying malt sweetness and some raisins then there's the alcohol. nice sweet thick body that balances out with an intense hop character that is really bitter-a little coarse but not harsh. still an awesome beer.

shippos, Nov 26, 2004
4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

Picked up my first bottle of Double Bastard at Tanakaya in Tokyo. Poured out a nice chocolate brown with a medium tan head. The foam is thick and fat-bubbled, but doesn't have a whole lot of retention. It does however leave pretty, swirly remnants. This is a good-looking brew.

The smell is good right away, and seems to get better by the minute as it warms and opens up. Butterscotch, dark fruits and cake, with a healthy dose of caramel malt and a shot of brandy. With some deep sniffing I even catch some mango and licorice. At once, this reminds me of barleywines, BSDAs, even a stronger doppelbock! But that is obviously due to the high abv which is due to the high amounts of hops and malt...

The taste quickly set me straight. This is definitely an American strong ale. Yikes. The diatribe was right, my feeble palate is ... undeserving. IBUs rip through and leave my mouth almost aching yet gracious. This is easily the most flavorful beer I've had in a long time. Big smooth mouthfeel. At 10%, and considering the pretty bitter taste, I can't give this a 5 for drinkability. But I definitely liked it and will get it again.

davidchollar, May 15, 2008
4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

a good brew to drink and review this rainy sunday morning - poured nice into one of those sam adams glasses with a 2 finger head to the rim - it had that rich, clear deep amber color that i like -faint aromas of malt, alcohol, hops - tastes just fine, with good balance, making it very easy to drink - alcohol is very well hidden taste-wise - i preferred the second, warmer glass i poured - a little more of a hop finish here - an empty glass leaves lacing only at the top where the head was, clean the rest of the way down - good stuff - the day is still young - what do i follow this with?

JoeBloe, Mar 29, 2009

Hrdqore, Mar 16, 2014

Duffman79, Mar 11, 2014

fuzzbalz, Jul 15, 2014
4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

Appearance – I decided to celebrate having tomorrow off and my 100th review by drinking this bomber, dated 2004, which I recently picked up at Luke’s. Poured into my snifter it is hazy dark red/brown beer with a one finger off-white head. Good spotty lacing, but poor retention.

Smell – Even at a year old this still has a lot of hops, slightly resinous pine for the most part. Definite alcohol presence as well along with some sweet toasted malt. This has calmed down a good deal since my last bottle of 04 last December.

Taste – Sweet toasted malt balanced by piney hop bitterness, a classic combination on steroids. While the flavor is big it is close to balanced, but the bitterness still has an edge to it that lingers. The alcohol is slightly fusel and warming, but definitely not as powerful as it was when the beer was fresh. Good flavor, but it doesn’t have the complexity that I have come to expect from big beers.

Mouthfeel – Completely full with medium carbonation.

Drinkability & Notes – Tasty beer, could have used a few more months, but good as is. The last time I had this beer I was still early in the craft beer life, I found 1/3 of a bottle nearly undrinkable, judging from my opinion tonight either I or the beer have come quite a long way. Am I the only one who wants to see Oaked Double Bastard? That would be excellent.

OldSock, Nov 11, 2005
Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.