Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Iamstryker

Missouri

04-15-2014 01:44:42 | More by trevor_s
jtw5877

4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

I have never opened a beer with as much anticipation as this one. It has been mocking me waiting for me to grab it and succomb to its goodness. It pours a deep dense amber with a nice white head, I would swear this is a Barleywine. Complex maltiness with the signature Arrogant Bastard hop flavors. This is an excellent beer. Without a doubt one of my favorites. A hearty thanks goes out to Xlperro who turned me on to this stuff.

01-04-2003 18:18:28 | More by jtw5877
kmcnair

4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

Ah yes, '05 Double B... so good.
Pours a deep dark red and makes a thin offwhite head, leaves a very slight lacing that eases its way down my glass and leaves a syrupy residue on the sides. Aroma of caramelized brown sugar, pine and a hint of citrus. Flavor has notes of caramel, sweet brown sugar, strong pepper spice, strong bittering hoppy character. Opens full bodied with a thick sweet palate, finishes slightly dry, nicely done. This first bomber went down way too easy, I would get another... but call me well done, perhaps I'm not worthy!

11-08-2005 04:06:30 | More by kmcnair
MarkSCCOT

South Carolina

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured from a 22 ounce bomber (2006 Vintage, a gift from the very generous Alyeast, a BA among BA's)

A. Pours a dark rich red with little head and little lacing.

S. Pear malt and hops. A light alcohol warming follows through.

T. WOW!!! Full malty grapefruit taste with a sweet malt backbone. The hops shine through and wait...there is the alcohol.

M. This is a rollercoaster of tatse. Definitely a bold beer. It hits the whole mouth. Not a beer for the timid.

D. Normally I would give this beer a lower score here because of the alcohol, but if this beer were available locally, I would sell my kids, quit my job, live under a bridge and drink this all day.

Finally I can appreciate Stone being so far away. This beer is soooo good I could get hooked. At least this way I can continue to be a productive member of society.
A GREAT BEER!!!!

10-06-2007 01:34:45 | More by MarkSCCOT
Homerbag

Wisconsin

2007 Batch.

Dark, rusty copper with a thick layer of froth that retained even as this warmed up.

Big aroma of malt and tropical fruits, alcohol is prevalent and so is a hint of dark fruits like plums. No suprise that hops are in the mix being this beer is from the West Coast.

Taste is a wonderful mix of bitter qualities like chocolate, resiny hops, and dark fruit blended with a compliment of tropical fruits, caramel, and sweet malt. Everything compliments, not competes with each other. Alcohol is there, but is very smooth, no burn. Feel is thick and sticky, great flavor retention.

A powerful and fun Ale. This is beer best drank at home, because it is good enough to want more. But more than what you get will make you foolish. Excellent taste and worth aging to mellow out the alcohol.

06-08-2008 10:18:17 | More by Homerbag

tpgraham

01-23-2014 02:03:43 | More by tpgraham
MrSeth

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

I've become very partial to Double Bastard over this past winter. It's made many a session rewarding.

The smell is like fruitcake.. citrus, cherry, nuts and spiced bread. Hops and alcohol lurk in the background....

The taste is of huge malt.. all sorts of fruity flavors may be noted.. and a strong bitter hops finish. The taste has nuttiness and a deep over-ripe cherry flavor. Sweet with a touch of puckering tartness at the end.

The alcohol creeps out as you continue to drink Double Bastard. Surprising the first time you notice that to go with the huge malt and hops is an equally formidable alcohol in this ABW.

04-23-2005 05:49:05 | More by MrSeth
PerzentRizen

Mississippi

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

What a great beer by Stone. I ended up having this one with some great Mexican food. I also let a miller lite drinker have a taste - that look was priceless.

Poured into a Duvel glass from a 22 oz bomber at around 45 degrees. The color is a slightly hazy burnt amber color. The head is off white with large bubbles. This looks like an ale from any old English movie (I don't know why I mention this except that it's the first thing that came to mind).

The smell is so full and complex. It's amazing to have such a huge aroma. I can usually tell when a beer is going to have that oily hop character and I thought I was picking that up. It's like a resiny hop floral that is very heavy in the nose. There is also plenty of malt backbone.

The first taste is like a punch in the mouth. This beer is huge and extremely complex. The oily, hoppy flavor is very rich. If this weren't so tart and bitter (in a good way) it could alost be decatant enough for dessert (I had to have a Ten Fidy for dessert by the way).

The mouthfeel is velvety. I would say that the aroma, flavor, and mouthfeel all closely resemble Sam Adams Imperial Pilsner. I wonder if I'm the only one to think this. I love it!

Drinkability is a tough one to grade. On one hand I ended up drinking this bomber by myself and I loved it. I could and would drink another if I had it. On the other hand it is ten and a half percent and a huge beer with tons of flavor. Do you really need two or more...absolutely not. Respect beer and keep it at one bomber.

03-02-2009 02:25:22 | More by PerzentRizen
zoso493

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a Stone Ruination straight-sided pint glass.

Appearance: Double Bastard pours an ominously dark, burnt amber that is exceedingly murky and thick. Just by looking at this brew, you can tell that it is a big, unfiltered beast of a beer, made by brewers who dare not go cheap on ingredients. Only a wafer thin head forms on top of the beer that consists of only bubbles. The head settles quickly to coat the top of the beer and leaves no lacing on the glass.

Smell: Double Bastard has a nose which requires one to get several sniffs to properly decipher the complexity at hand. The biggest scent to be found is a syrupy conglomeration of think, malt that is reminiscent of a big barleywine (what's the difference anyway?). Somewhere in there I can detect a resinous presence of piny hops.

Taste: At first sip, I was convinced that Double Bastard was worthy of the ultimate score. This is a phenomenal beer. The taste generally follows the smell, except it greatly expands on each of the individuals flavors. The massive malt backbone is ever-present and provides tastes of candied cherry and rum-soaked fruit.

The most amazing part about DB is that, though the malts are massive and delicious, the hops play just as large a role in the taste as their malty counterparts. I guess in this respect you might term DB a "balanced" beer, but this would be an injustice to the brewers. The hops are resinous and monolithic in the taste and would make DB a great beer on their own.

Mouthfeel: DB is certainly on the thicker side of things for a strong ale. This comes as no surprise when you consider the amount of malt and hops that must have gone into this bottle. The hops border on cloying but are just sticky enough to provide a pleasantly viscous aftertaste.

Drinkability: DB is no session ale, but the amount of it in this bomber is diminishing quickly. There is absolutely no trace of alcohol in it as well, which is no small feat a beer of 11.2% ABV.

Overall, Double Bastard is a tremendous beer. It is generously hopped, massively delicious, and masterfully crafted. Arrogant
Bastard is a very good beer, but Double Bastard takes it to another level. This is just a fantastically complex and tasty brew. DB is a world-class beer and one that deserves to be consumed in earnest.

01-03-2011 01:23:59 | More by zoso493
jhtipton

Spain

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

Enjoyed a bomber (22 oz) at Union Jack Pub and Restaurant in historic downtown Winchester. Thank goodness our founding fathers didn't have this or we'd never have chased those pesky Redcoats away. Back to the matters at hand, though. I did, however opt out on the 100 oz bottle that our waiter offered with much despair, and settled for the bomber and a pint glass. Had I know beforehand my brother-in-law was buying, however, I may have delved into that 2 foot tall bottle. Anyway, the beer delivered the hoppiness that I was accustomed to from a Stone Ale and had some faint fruit hints with little attention drawn to the alcohol. Poured a nice brown with a reasonable finger and one half of head. It tasted a tad heavy but not so much as to make it akin to a stout. A very drinkable beer but had I ordered one more bomber I would have surely tripped on the cobblestone and felt drinkers remorse in the morn. I would have to say it was much lighter than the shepherd's pie that accompanied it.

03-04-2010 09:09:28 | More by jhtipton
colforbin73

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

plain old arrogant bastard - a pretty aggressive, bastardish arrogant brew -- so all the doubled up incarnations -- you know they are gonna be that much more.... arrogant. i think the oaked double bastard is one of the most demanding, intense, arrogant beers i have ever had -- the regular double is pretty serious too.

pours a rich ruby red with a little foam -- drinks down with a thin white head. deep pungent spicy malt in the nose.... the mouthfeel is excellent -- this beer really coats your mouth, slides down and leaves a nice bitter sweet taste, honey, raisins and dark chocolate. i don;t get a lot of hop aroma, but the IBUs are up there.

not exactly a friendly beer, but a smooth drink when all is said and done. defined by the syrupy complex malt sweetness and overriding arrogant bitterness. DRINK IT.

04-17-2011 03:33:06 | More by colforbin73
doldham

05-14-2014 14:46:21 | More by doldham
Humulus85

3.98/5  rDev -6.8%

2011 vintage poured from a 22oz bottle into my Darkness snifter.

A crowning, cream colored head retains well and left just a bit of lacing. As expected from an 11% brew. It's a gorgeous deep ruby color that browns out when held to light. Very pretty beer.

The nose is intense and complex; fruity and boozy mainly, with some toffee and caramel in there as well.

Dense flavor profile. With layers of cherry, raisin, toffee, molasses, and alcohol. They are so well balanced within themselves. There is an absurd amount of flavor, but somehow it is still a "balanced" beer.

Mouthfeel isn't all that heavy, and is surprisingly smooth. Subtle, but present carbonation. Not syrupy like other American Stronger Ales, yet still a sipper.

Overall this is a good beer, and another solid offering from Stone. Not my favorite +10% ASA I've had, but definitely one of the better ones. Well balanced for how much flavor is packed in, and relatively drinkable; it just didn't scream to me as a truly "exceptional" beer. Recommended to any BA, but it is not for the uninitiated. Cheers!

11-09-2011 22:20:22 | More by Humulus85

01-19-2012 00:00:35 | More by alpenglocken
TheFlern

Idaho

Holly ***t!!!!

Appearance: It poured a dark amber with plenty of head and amazing retention.

Smell: Spicey, malty, hoppy and balanced in Godly proportions.

Taste: Spicey with malt and hoppy flavors following. This beer is a mixture of IPA, Stout and others. It is definitely a balanced and heavy beer. The weak should just avoid this brew.

Mouthfeel: Totally amazing! Its nice and syrupy with hop flavor to balance it out. Its like taking a bite into a nice dinner, very delicious.

Drinkability: I drank 22oz in like 10 minutes and I only wish I had more time. I would glady drink this all day on a lazy summer weekend.

09-19-2009 08:03:50 | More by TheFlern
Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.