Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
woodenbones

Washington

04-02-2014 20:49:59 | More by woodenbones
DrZeus10

06-03-2013 22:58:40 | More by DrZeus10
Admiraldinty

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

Wow is this complex. Pours a dark amber with a nice tannish head. Aroma has floral hops, with citrus and a light malt sweetness. Taste is something else. I think I tasted about three or four different styles of beer within this. Malty, woody and a bit smoky. Citrus notes. Bitter hops that in some ways remind me of some kind of stout or porter, as the bitter aftertaste hangs around for a while. Wow, I just can't get over how much is going on in this beer, and so damned smooth too. Really, really impressive. I'll come back to this one.

12-17-2003 03:51:14 | More by Admiraldinty
JoeMayo

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

I've had this out of a bomber a couple times, but last night I cracked a three-liter with some friends and it had some subtle differences that made it much more enjoyable. It was also more drinkable overall out of the 3L.

A- Pours a dark copper/amber color with a toasted almond head. The head slowly falls down to a thin cap, but remains for most of the beer.

S- Tons of hops with a solid malt backbone. The hop profile is quite blalanced with citrusy notes of grapefruit and pine and a hint of pineapple. The malt flavor is surprisingly dark when taking the hop profile into account. There's a slight raisin-like sweetness along with notes of caramel.

T- Ver similar to the nose of the beer. Well-balanced with tons of hops and lots of malt as well. The alcohol makes its presence known without being "hot". A sweet alcholic presence resembling sherry and plum wine is noted.

M- Very crisp and dry.

D- For a beer that is so intensely bitter, stone did an excellent job of balancing it. I had about two and a half pints (splitting the 3L three ways) and wished I had another bottle when we finished.

11-10-2008 14:41:48 | More by JoeMayo
Scrapss

4.29/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a wide mouth chalice.

A: Nice deep copper. Thick head, lasts for quite some time. Nearly opaque, no suspended solids. Carbonation is minimal. Has some minor legs.

S: fruit, tart cherries. Dank musty tropical fruit. Has some aromatic hydrocarbon notes. mild malt notes. Mostly fruit notes.

T: strong fruity notes. like a Belgian with more character and attitude. Hazelnut, some undertones of nuttiness, slightly bitter.

M: Creamy as heck. phenolic notes at outbreath. filling. tart fruit. some bitter notes at finish. complex.

O: I like this very much. complex,sweet, bitter, dry... hits all the notes!

11-10-2013 01:20:33 | More by Scrapss
DAllspaw

Indiana

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured from bomber into a tulip.

First notice the signature hop smells not unlike the better APAs, but the malts rule the day as soon as you take a sip. The strong malt and high ABV makes for great beer to nurse and savor. I waver between Pale Ales and Imperial Stouts and for some reason this just feels like it captures the best of both. Kick me out for saying that, but that's the best description I can offer.

01-14-2010 21:29:24 | More by DAllspaw
Swim424

3.78/5  rDev -11.5%

poured into palm glass

A-cloudy amber. nice creamy looking head. bright when put up to a light

S-smells of lots of malt and some hops.

T-hits with some strong malt up front finishing with a nice little hop bite. Cant really describe the taste but its like a dull piney flavor. can taste a bit of alcohol with the hops. this is a hard one for me to describe. very floral hops mixed with the malts up front.

MF- sort of creamy. can taste a bit of an alcohol hoppy lingering in with the creamyness.

O-pretty good. Im just having trouble describing this one. its a pretty good beer.

11-09-2011 05:23:45 | More by Swim424
CitizenGrain

Georgia

01-06-2013 14:55:49 | More by CitizenGrain
Kuaff

Alaska

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I took on this Double Bastard in my snifter at cellar temperature.

Looks a lot like Arrogant Bastard, but with a slightly smaller head. It's got that same clear, blood ruby hue to go with the off-white foam.

The floral citrus and caramel sweetness of Arrogant Bastard are also in this beer's aroma, along with some cherries, raisins, and molasses. There's a more pronounced malty, doughy breadiness in this one.

Woah. The flavor packs some serious power. It has profoundly huge and hefty hop flavor throughout an entire swig, from first contact on my tongue to the substantial finish. There's a nice little citrus zing at the beginning, and then I get a mix of dark fruit flavors, spicy breadiness, and what I like to call "caramelized hops" in the middle. The finish delivers even more hops, now becoming astringent, woody, and pine-tinged. While there IS a bit of a boozy burn after I swallow this stuff, this is a case in which alcohol heat complements, and I daresay enhances, everything else that's happening. Complex, and incredibly delicious. Damn.

The feel is certainly excellent as well. It's thick, but also really smooth and velvety. Awesome.

This is one of the tastiest liquids I've ever imbibed.

12-05-2013 17:17:10 | More by Kuaff

Wisconsin

04-12-2014 13:40:31 | More by lswilma
cerevisiaephilus

3.68/5  rDev -13.8%

Decent looking beer. Nothing special. Crystal clear, nice deep red mahogony color. Small but relatively persistant head.

Nose is very nice. Very full. I get some deep caramel and alcohol notes and definately big brashy hops.

Wow. Very big tasting beer. Extremely bitter. Extremely. Like fresh Old Crusty bitter. Leaves my mouth all taught and upset. Some nice malt notes too, caramel most prominently, but really can't hold a candle to the bitterness...really really bitter. And its a harsh bitter too. These ain't no low cohumulone hops. I've heard Stone loves the Chinook and I imagine that's what this is. Maybe I'd celler this for a year or two in an attempt to tame the hops a tad. This is pretty much straight off the truck...arrived I think in Indiana November 1st or so.

With the fairly strong alcohol and ridiculously bitter harsh hops in the finish....its definately not smooth.

Mouthfeel is decent. Thick but not creamy. Definately thicker than thin however.

Not very drinkable. Last year I barely managed to finish a whole bomber. This bitterness is just unreal.

11-08-2004 02:47:48 | More by cerevisiaephilus
bentwookie

11-14-2011 20:47:02 | More by bentwookie
zachattack555

04-28-2013 20:41:24 | More by zachattack555
generalnotsew

Tennessee

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

A: Thick 2 finger cream colored head that lingers quite nicely. Very rich deep dark brown coloring. Very sticky lacing.

S: More hops up front than I recall before and this bottle is 4 months old already. I don't recall smelling any hops in last years batch. A very nice sweet bitterness going on. Having a hard time picking apart the smells here. I am mostly going with bready.

T: Nice bitter maltiness. I swear my palate has really changed. Last one I got was same batch and I detected very minimal hops this and last year. It isn't as in your face as AB. This beer has a very smooth taste. I couldn't even tell you what flavors are going on here. Bready, hoppy and malty. So smooth. Borderlines a stout flavor. Impossible to not love the taste.

M: Spot on! It is so rich, smooth, creamy and decadent on the palate. Carbonation is super mellow. This beer has the best mouthfeel of any I have ever tasted. I never thought mouthfeel was a worthy category til now. I usually just say good carbonation but damn this is nice!

D: It is also the easiest drinking beer I can think of in a long time. I usually don't care for malty beers unless it is a RIS. But this one takes the cake. Still gotta knock off a few due to how strong it is.

This beer never fails to impress the hell out of me. Why not just replace AB with this? I was kind of in a bad mood til I cracked this one open tonight. Now all my annoyances are drifting away. It is one of the most well rounded, balanced, tastiest and easiest drinking beers around.

02-12-2010 05:31:52 | More by generalnotsew

Vermont

11-21-2013 16:28:57 | More by zahara15
cudmud

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

Appearance: A deep ruby color with one finger of magnificent head that produces good lace. In all, a gorgeous looking brew.

Smell: Slight malt and hop smell. I was expecting more aroma from this beer.

Taste: Nice malt sweetness followed by a blast of hop flavor and bitterness.

Mouthfeel: The body is thick and full.

Drinkability: A delicious treat. Lots of hops and alcohol, but not overdone.

01-02-2011 00:26:42 | More by cudmud
BDJake

Washington

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

I finally decided I was going to go balls out and buy the $85 101.4 oz bottle that's been sitting at Whidbey Beer Works for the last six months, and here's my take:

A- dark, translucent copper with an inch of foamy, beige head that laces and sticks around for quite some time

S- sticky sweet molasses, fig, butterscotch, caramel, and maybe a bit of raisins

T- sweet, syrupy caramel malts, fig, molasses, some hop bitterness and a strong dose of alcohol

M- very heavy, with a dry, bitter finish and tons of alcohol warmth

D- I clearly couldn't polish off two of these behemoth bottles, but I'd probably be reaching for another after I finished a bomber of this

08-16-2010 09:19:01 | More by BDJake
jmbot4371

02-14-2014 21:13:03 | More by jmbot4371
Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.