Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,299 | Reviews: 2,072
4.8/5  rDev +12.7%

nice dark ruby brown in color with a tan head that laces the glass. piney floral sweet hops dominate the smell. very fruity too, i pick out cherry, raspberry, and apple aromas along with brown sugar. a little bready and a little bit of a coffee aroma too, but it's buried in there. as far as the taste goes, this is what beer should be. big piney, grapefruity hops. additional citrus flavors are present along with rich caramel and some chocolate malts, especially toward the end and aftertaste. some thing reminiscent of peanut butter in the after taste as well. there is some nice fruit character in there too with a cherry raspberry flavor dominating there. the spicy alcohol is apparent some of the time, but i've always liked a little of that in my beer, so it only adds in my opinion. full bodied and well carbonated, perfectly complmenting the huge flavor. an exceptional beer from an exceptional brewery. if big beers are your thing this is a must try, cause it's humongous.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Three pints and two bottles later, I've finally figured this one out.

Deep amber with a head that dissipates rather quickly. Hoppy sweet aroma - it smells like it wants to stick to your nose. Big time malty sweetness.

I prefer this one 5 to 1 in bottle over the draft version. On tap it's almost sticky, cloyingly sweet, with a caramelly malt sweetness that's palpable and a distant citric hoppiness. It's missing its balance somewhere. In bottle it all smooths out - caramel malty sweetness in a big way, but the balance between the malt and the hops is far better, with a lot of drying alcohol and darker, spicier malts to balance things out. The finish - a fine balance between caramel apple sweetness and citric PacNW hoppiness split by alcoholic fumes - simply rocks. 10% and I'm looking around the house to find another somewhere. What's that? A Stone IPA? That'll work...

Get a bottle. Toss its ass in the back of the fridge for 6 months. Pop it and enjoy - one of the finer 10% ales in existence when the situation's right.

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a clear ruby color with a medium sized off white head. Interesting aroma included hints of fruit (pineapples, strong pineapples), spicy hops, and peanut butter, very strange. Very bitter hops are dominant, followed by caramel malt, finished with more hops. Very full, very good.

4.16/5  rDev -2.3%

Beat me over the head with a rubber chicken! This beats ruination for palate slaughter, fer sure! Red color, tan head. Clear. Carmel and hop aroma. Big, chewey, malty hoppy flavor. Lingers. Massive bitterness that lingers even to the next day. Hop flowers, BABY! Special thanks to Eyedrinkale.

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Nicely bitter taste, ameloriated by malt. Crimson with hops suds best appearing in a trappist glass. Floral and pine strong hoppy aroma. Grapefruit mid-sip, cheese aftertaste. Alcohol warming, feels like vodka.. Good with strong meat and caution not to have competing patatoes.

perhaps overrated.

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

2003 edition tasted in May '04: opaque burnt sienna topped with a cake-like toffe colored head. sticky webs of cream colored lace coat the glass. huge malty aroma of pineapple, mangos, and crystallized sugar with a pine needle undertow. steady carbonation. thick and full bodied yet still quite zippy....an admirable acomplishment. massive screaming avalanche of malt flavor flexes its muscle. tropical fruit and crystal malt flavor dominate. spicy resinous hop bite in the end ties this package together. underlying piney hop flavor remains ever constant in the background. zero citrus character. alcohol stays hidden for the most part, but with the searing characteristics of this brew, that ABV is never far out of mind. the mouth stays coated with crystallized sugar and resinous hop flavor long after the glass has been put down.

massive and not for the weak of heart, this beer is well put together and managable for its sheer enormity. bucketloads of flavor. a must try for any big-beer lover.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

Cracking the bottle, the escaping gas made the sound of a big wet smoochy kiss. Either that, or I’ve become a little too attached to my beer these days and need to get out of the house more often.

There is much hype surrounding this beer, but you can’t drink a bottle of hype. Beyond the mythos and hyperbole, this is truly, ultimately a world-class beer. It features a profound malty fragrance that is very sweet and bread-like. The brew itself is clear until you spill the yeasties. It has minimal carbonation and a deep honey-garnet color.

This one sat in my fridge for two months, which probably wasn’t a very healthy idea. It wasn’t very healthy for the potato salad that sat next to it either. But I was still able to taste everything this big fat Bastard aspires to be. It is muscular and profusely malty with a full-bodied mouthfeel, an alcoholic undertow, and an understated but complimentary bitter finish. It lacks a bit of lace and the head fades quickly, but the potato salad more than made up for this.

And as for that “You’re not worthy!” stuff, let me tell ya. Even the mighty Double Bastard isn’t half the full-blooded sonofabitch that I am.

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

To quote an old rock and roll adage..."...Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy."

Yep, that is how I would describe Double Bastard. Its a "meatier" version of its "Arrogant" relative. Pours out to a dark brown in the glass with a nice head. Excellent lacing all the way down the glass. The aroma is that of a sweet malt and is very enticing. The beer isn't as scary as the name implies, but rather a flavor powerhouse of a beer. The malt is so thick you can nearly chew it and is so well-balanced by the hops, which grab you hard, but don't over do it as you might think. Its drinkability is near perfect and if you like pales, IPA's and barleywines, then you'll enjoy the aspects of this one. It is such a well brewed beer. Kudos to Greg and the crew at Stone. Yum. Now get those Stone beers to Michigan...

4.26/5  rDev 0%

This is a really damn good beer. I myself am an avid drinker of the Arrogant Bastard, and this was actually my first taste of the DB. My brother and I broke this out along with the Stone Vertical Epic 03.03.03 for a mini tasting. This beer is absolutely beautiful to look at. It poured a clear dark ruby color, with a thick foamy tan head. The smell was heavy on the sweety syrupy hops, with other sweet smells such as honey, pine, and maple sap in there as well. The taste is a huge sweet hoppiness just as the smell would indicate. There are some more subtle hints in there, with some earthy tones barely noticible, but really most of the flavors are masked by the wonderful hoppiness. The mouthfeel was smooth with plenty of carbonation. If i remember correctly, this beer was in fact a gift to me, so for whoever got it for me (I seem to have forgotten), thanks. A great beer overall

3.7/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured a dark chestnut like color with tons of red stains mixed in. There was yellow like head typical of some of the stronger barley-wines and Old Ales (Big Foot). Smell was huge with notes of juicy fruits, esters a plenty, big hops and a blackstrap mollassas sweetness. Taste started off with more sweetness and moved to a big alcohol kick with the hops there, but the malts doing a lot of the work for once in a Stone beer. I feel that the alcohol was too brash for now and luckily I have another bottle of this, which I will keep in the cellar for at least another 2 years.

2.21/5  rDev -48.1%

22 oz. bomber delivered by LBB and tasted by myself and BelgianBeers.

Appearance: quite dark amber, good clarity, a nice layer of tan head which depletes quite slowly to a thin film

Aroma: malty and bready, very light hop scent, a touch of wet carboard (aerated at bottling!?!?), acetone, a thimblefull of coffee, not a really "overt" aroma (which is the opposite of what I expected)

Flavor: butterscotch malt sweetness up front with an interlacing off-flavor (sour milk, rancid butter?), one dimensional hop flavor and bitterness, big hit of peppery alcohol that blooms into your palate like nail polish, cardboard here too, finish is sweet with a burnt caramel aftertaste

Mouthfeel: full body, terse carbonation, alcohol warmth

Overall Impression: I don't know... might be an off bottle? Probably committing beeresy with this review, but come on! Cardboard and sour milk!? This is either not at all what I expected or completely disappointing. A case of not living up to the hype?

Not worthy? That's OK with me...

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Dark red-caramel color, with a two finger head that slowly retreats into a creamy cover. This beer is intimidating.

Smell: Apples all the way.

Taste: Loads of carbination. This is a very hearty, creamy beer. It starts with hops and a good shot of malt then finshes with an astringent alcohol flavor. The alcohol is present but welcome. I taste apples, bananas, and walnuts in this.

Mouthfeel: A creamy massage for the tougue! Best mouthfeel I've experienced in my short history with craft beer.

Drinkabilty: Not sure I could drink it everyday, but it works well as a dessert beer every once and a while for me. A sipping beer to be sure.

This beer is a real kick in the pants.

3.28/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Merci Psychprof! Clear copper hue over which lies an off-white head. Aroma is very harsh on alcohol surprisingly so. It took me a while to get over those vapors and get to studying the rest which had a big caramelic malt profile and a fruitiness approaching orange or watermelon. There's also an earthy/peaty aspect in there, but of course, besides alcohol, the bold hops dominate. In mouth, there's evidently intense hoppy grapefruit juice, caramel, crystal malt and still a moderate alcohol taste. Finish is huge, monstruously bitter, mouth-grabbing, memorable for a while. Mouthfeel is rather thick, closing onto syrup. Definitely worth a try to experiment it, but masochism as they say, is to be consumed in moderate amount. Not quite my bag, give me an Old Numbskull or HOTD Fred if I want a hoppy barley wine. I'll never brush my teeths again.

4.21/5  rDev -1.2%

Thank God to Skyhand so I can have this again. Pours like a rich, dark Amber. Taste of hot alcohol and, well, hops. Tons of Hops. The one real problem with this beer is that it tastes like the normal Bastard but has one heck of a kick to it.

I hope to trade again with skyhand in the future.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a cloudy medium brown colored brew.

Smell is heavenly! Sweet malts and fragrant flowers and grapefruit hops smell!

Taste is malty and hoppy at the same time. Very thick brew, as a barley wine should really be. Malty with a rounded bitterness. I would like a bit more malt but this is good. Could have a more complex flavor, there is a point at which "More Hops" becomes a LIABILITY! This brew is right at that point.

Mouthfeel is the thickest brew I have yet tasted.

Drinkable? More like sipable. Tasty brew that could learn some thing from Belgian brew masters about balance.

Still it is Light Years more balanced than “Arrogant Bastard!”

4.23/5  rDev -0.7%

A Good beer, but not all that the name implies.

A hard pour from my bastard bomber into the glass left a nice light brown slightly rocky head. A deep reddish brown beer with light carbonation.
An arousing aroma on this beer, very sweet slightly piney notes as well.
Taste is sweeter than expected due to the higher alcohol. More malty than hoppy. A little fruity , I'm thinking plum? . The hops are a kick in the teeth but this is necessary to keep up with the sweetness. The fact that the malt and the hops are outrageously out of balance brings balance to the beer.That is If you follow illogical logic.

This is much thicker/syrupy than the Arrogant Bastard, which I liked. This was a great beer. But I think I will Stick with the Single Bastard

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

2001 model tasted.

Poured a ruby brown with a wisp of a head. Smells of dark pit fruits and vanilla and a bit of dark hatian rum. Taste echos the smell.. Definately the taste of fruit in Cuban or Hatian dark rum.. Some woody notes as well.. Tasty but alcohol noticable. minimal evervecence. Could drink one and then its over. I need to try this again to give a complete report. But this is definately a belly warmer. Good stuff, but not sure its worth the huge rating. Perhaps the 3 years in the bottle mellowed this thing out as i didnt taste the hoppyness that others have.. Tasted much more like a belgian ale than a hoppy old ale.

4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

I think this is clearly a better and, perhaps strangely, more drinkable, balanced brew than it's little brother. Pretty clear but intense garnet, ruby, darkened rusty vermillion color. Very clean, well-defined aromas of sweet alcohol and space invading hops with a citric acid twist.

Thick and chewy brew. Syrupy, lip-smacking goodness. Big fruit flavors up front, slathered in malty caramel sauce. Alcohol is well-integrated but plainly obvious. In keeping with its Arrogance, it's a blatant exercise in extremes. But somehow, I find this version a bit more drinkable than Arrogant Bastard -- more balance being the key, I think. Citric fruit and pine sap bitterness mingle well with the fruity, estery flavors up front, and it provides a great transition to the finish. Most plainly stated, this is largely sweet beer with a big bitter backend to it. But it's quite complex, full of rich fruit, alcohol, citrus, and caramel. Pretty damn good.

4.44/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Unassuming clear orange brown appearance. Little head. No lace.

This beer smells like a bouquet of flowers. Aromatic and then some! One of the best beer smells I've experienced.

This is my favorite Stone I have had. Balanced malt and hops, sweet and bitter. Savory to the max. Bitter maple syrup pancakes on the finish that lasts and lasts.

Mouthfeel is damn near perfect. Not too thick, but substantial. Almost feels like port in my mouth.

Drink it again and again. Alcohol is not apparent to me. I'd make this a regular if I didn't have to drive to another state to get Stone products. This beer deserves its hype, imho.

4.58/5  rDev +7.5%

Old Ale looking with a big hop nose that lets you know what is to come when you take a sip. What surprised me was how it took a few seconds for the serious hops to come through and yet the balance was there at all times. This is a big beer more akin to a barley wine than a double IPA. I had this beer with a strong curry and the beer matched the spicy flavours exactly. The reputation is that this beer is over the top but I think that the balance is what makes this one of the best beers available.

4.89/5  rDev +14.8%

Nice deep reddish,amber color.Slight head that quickly receedes.Huge,huge aroma-almost like a sweet and sour sort of thing.Citrusy,somewhat smokey.Incredible flavor-great big malt flavor with a healthy dose of hops.Apricot and orange like.Great oily mouthfeel.Silky smooth-one of the smoothest beers I think I have ever tried.An extremely drinkable beer but so big you really need to be "prepared".Does this come in smaller bottles or am I asking an "unworthy" question?If you thought the other "bastard" was arrogant look out for this sucker-PHEW!!!

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%

Just opened this baby up. 22oz bomber with the usual tonguelashing from Stone on the back. Beautiful red color, small head that lingers. Smell is sweet and malty, just a slight musty hint. Taste is absolutely divine, like a velvet-gloved barleywine, just fills the mouth with flavor and grabs hold and won't let go. Exquisite to the extreme. Mouthfeel is warm and inviting with a hoppy backbone that tempts the soul to just drink some more. I'm extremely upset that I only had one of these in my fridge. Absolutely one of the best things I have ever tasted...

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Very dark amber color with a thin tan/off-white head. The smell is a very sublte sweetness with dark malt characteristics and a slight hop bitterness. The taste is unlike anything I've ever sampled and my tastebuds were confused to say the least. This seemed extremely close to a barleywine but dare I say smoother. Strong old malts and piney hops/citrus hops blend together to create a masterpiece. There are hints of caramel and an earthy feel. Again this is Outstanding! Citrus, spices, roasted strong malts, and an alcohol feel that warms the tummy for another sip. Not for the faint at heart, check with you physician before sampling.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

2K3.
I'll admit it: I'm intimidated.

Not much of a head. Body looks like dark-stained hardwood. Beautiful.

Smells like grapefruits from 2 feet away. Mmmm, fresh pineapples and soy sauce. So far so good.

More pineapples! Right up front too. Slight alcohol bite on the tongue. Huge malt! I expected a hop-lovers beer, but this is quite the opposite. Bitter finish balances the very slight sweetness. I can feel a warmness in the pit of my stomach, and its spreading.

Not a lot of CO2, so the real mouthfeel comes through nicely. This is one thick beer. Keeps the sips small, but at 10%, that's OK.

Tastes amazing, but how many could you really drink before you'd be reduced to playing with your own poo?

This beer is just great. I picked a great one for a Sunday night sipper. While I will sing this beer's praises up and down, I would caution you against giving it to your friends. let's face it, they won't like it and you'll lament the loss of that sip. Also, when they tell you its "crap," you might get into a fight.

4.78/5  rDev +12.2%

It pours a coppery amber with dancing ruby highlights. A little less than a finger of off-white head dwindles rapidly to wisps of froth. Sticky swirls of lacing cling tenaciously to the inside of the glass.

The aroma brings a muscular wave of toasted malt sweetness battling a king's ransom of floral citrus hops. A caramel note wraps itself around a definitive nasal invasion of alcohol, muting the overall potency slightly.

Simply....Wow! The first sip brings a tongue lashing of poignant malt sweetness smoothly carrying the expected note of caramel, and even some berry holds its ground briefly before being utterly innundated by a dry grapefruit and florally creamy tsunami of hops. The dense pockets of flavor also pack a solid wallop of alcohol, keeping you attentive. It doesn't so much finish as thunder to a close with a legacy of currants and a mouth-drying hops bitterness. Bold and brash, it impressively balances some pretty big ticket flavor elements.

Heavy bodied, it lubricates slickly and coats sweetly, filling the mouth with chewy texture and leaving the tongue glowing hoppily.

It's meaty, beaty, big, and bouncy! Delivering on a reputation that's obviously well-earned, it's all I hoped for and more. Because of the hugeness the balance seems precarious, but it never falters. Like the rest of the beer, the ABV is big too, and it will smack you down if you let it. Still, I'd drink as many more of these as I could until I fell down, but I'm sure I'd be sorry come morning. I just wish every bastard I knew was as fun to be around as this one!

Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.