Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
djaeon

3.83/5  rDev -10.3%

A - 2008 bottle poured into Stone's Double Bastard specialty glass. Pours a very nice, deep amber color. Very thin, off-white head with no retention. Probably a result of the shallow glass.

S - Has woody aromas, with hints of a grapefruit like citrus in the background. The smell reminds me of a barley wine.

T - The woody aromas come through when you drink it. Has a good amount of bitterness, but not a hoppy bitterness. It also has hints of the grapefruit/citrus taste in the background, just like the smell.

M - Feels relatively thick and smooth in the mouth, apart from the bitterness, which lasts as an aftertaste.

D - Double Bastard always changes year to year as far as drinkability goes. The 2008 version is more drinkable to me than previous editions. I'd go so far as saying this one is more drinkable than Arrogant Bastard. Still definitely not one you could throw back with ease, but you don't have to "work" to get through it either.

04-07-2009 00:00:31 | More by djaeon
BringusKilkenney

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from bottle to pint glass. Has a nice brown color with a slight off white head. When held to the light has a nice golden brown color.

Has a decent smell this is probably the only weak point of the brew. Hops and carmel and some slight fruits but the overwhelming smell is alcohol.

The taste is the best part for me. Definite hop bitterness followed by wonderful sweet caramel. Can pick up just a bit of citrus as with most ipa brews. I immensely enjoy the burnt toast aftertaste along with the dry hop flavor it leaves.

Mouthfeel is great smooth and light with a bit of carbonation. Despite the alcohol content i could drink this stuff all day and enjoy all of it. I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a double ipa. drink up and enjoy

04-05-2009 21:23:28 | More by BringusKilkenney
steelerguy

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

A - Deep amber color, translucent, nice just off white two finger head, nice level of carbonation. Head remained throughout but did fade to a thin coating on the top and left some nice lacing on the glass. Have never seen a better looking beer.

S - Strong and sweet malt aroma with more pine and citrus hop presence. The alcohol makes itself known to the nose, but not with violence.

T - Awesome caramel malt flavors up front, bit of citrus sweetness but not at all cloying. The hop bitterness hits at the same time you feel the alcohol warmth. Warmth continues as you swallow and then the hop bitterness increases in a nice smooth manner. Complex, makes you want more, so much to taste but at 10.5% you will only get so many tastes!

M - So smooth, there is a viscous quality to this that lets you know you are drinking a big beer. Really warms the mouth and throat and the tingle from the carbonation is perfect. Jeez...another 5, this beer is pissing me off...

D - Although this beer tastes quite excellent and looks so nice, put me down for only one bomber in a night. 22 oz. of this bad boy are perfect anymore and you sense will be left numb and I don't think you could really appreciate much more. 22 oz. of drinkability but not much more.

04-04-2009 22:53:46 | More by steelerguy
SammyDavisJrJrJr

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

Bottle thanks to Jyppy, 2008 release. Into the Goose Island IPA tulip...

A - Nice tawny color with flufy mocha tan head, over two fingers worth. Some retention, some lacing.

S - Toffee and hazelnut sweetness and semi-sweet chocolate create the backbone for this surprisingly balanced aroma. Coffee like roasted bitterness balances it out, with a bite pineapple bite. Textbook for style.

T/M - Again picking up toffee and chocolate in the malt, which is rendered very mild after the huge hopping that followed. Quite fruity, with lots of pineapple and some strawberry. Finishes very bitter, with some lingering espresso. Mouthfeel is almost barleywine-esque.

D - Have to say, this is by far the best Stone product I've had so far. No real complaints, just a nice, big example of an American Strong Ale.

04-02-2009 06:25:00 | More by SammyDavisJrJrJr
Oxymoron

Colorado

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

Double Bastard is one of those beers that is best to try fresh rather than aged. Or at least IMHO. Pours a mostly darker amber color with a reddish hue throughout. Mostly cloudy with a fuzzy white head with limited retention and lacing through the tasting.

The nose is malty with big melanodian and kettle caramel notes. A bit sugary but more from a super long boil more than brown sugar. Very much boozy, a bit much even for the ABV. Some yeast notes as well with some light oxidation and sherry notes. Some lighter esters, plums and figs mostly. Very hoppy for style, but ok for a US Strong Ale. Noticeable citrus and piney notes.

The taste is similar. Very malty upfront with a super kettle caramel flavor. This is mixed with a sugary kettle flavor as well. (side note, as it ages mixes with a sherry oxidation which gives it a bourbon/butyric thing). The yeast is light versus the nose but the fusel/alcohol notes really come out. Almost to the point I would call it under pitching. Some minor oxidation but nit picking. The malt lingers into the finish with a very nice plume, pineapple mix. When fresh a noticeable hop presence with a good blend of bitterness and finishing hops. Some citrus and noticeable pine at that end. This of course is limited as ages.

The body is big and sweet. Add the fusel/alcohol notes I lean towards miss treatment of yeast. But not exactly under attenuated and fusels do age out. Overall a marketing beer that is second to none. But for me this is a boarderline US Barleywine with some issue but fantastic caramel notes.

04-01-2009 05:04:26 | More by Oxymoron
BeerCon5

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

Pours a clear, dark reddish-brown color with thick tan head.

The scent is of citrus and piney hops, with a noticeable alchohol scent.

Very sweet taste. Caramel, burnt sugar, fruit (pineapple?), piney hops. Also some notes of chocolate and a strong alcohol taste.

Very smooth feel, full-bodied, perfect carbonation, with a dry finish.

Very drinkable especially with the 10% ABV.

03-31-2009 19:33:12 | More by BeerCon5
Docer

Washington

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks to alexd3891 for the trade.. now for the review.. 2008 release. Another to age in the fridge!

- Dark foggy brown ale look... minimal to no head.. lacing all about. Makes me worried to drink... it looks kind of scary!

- Rich chocolate and caramel liquor scent... wow it smells good. Slight bitter notes, sweet... and alcohol.. tad boozy.

- Ok... here we go..

Wow.. strong malt backbone for sure.. slight bittering hop, but boy oh boy this is a strong strong ale.. caramel delight.. thick, creamy and fantastic. Slight alcohol taste.. but more of a burn than anything. 1 bottle and then I am done. Great taste in the belch too.

- Not a bad aftertaste at all... not very dry.. only slightly chewy.. little bitter and dusty.

- Very drinkable.. could have a frosty pint of this any time.. for me it's one to have ice cold.

---

'06 again from alexd3891, as well as an '07 which will be below. I am not changing my original score... as sofar I liked the '08 the best. (around 12-04-09)

- Dark hazy brown... a murky mud puddle... fluffy mocha head.. down to a bit of lace.

- Robust caramel malt, slight oxidization... still a presence of pine hops.... interesting, and yet smells balanced.

- Flavor is smooth, and not at all boozy.... the strength sneaks up on your tongue, and then hits you with a malt bashing long after its swallowed. Little bit funky and oxidized though. Perhaps the '06 should have been had in '08.

- Slightly heavy bodied... little bit rich, and not too puckering at all... smooth, great carbonation...

- Quite drinkable, but one you would have to be more in the mood for than a fresh one, which puts you in the mood.

'07 (12-11-09)

- Super hazy and cloudy red/amber... not much head... quickly down to a rather large continent of drifting foam and a nice ring of white.

- Thick super sweet malts in smell... toffee, brown sugar.... and chewy caramel candies. Is this a desert bastard? Little hops present... perhaps a faded citrus nose.

- One smooth crisp candied malt goodness.... must be at its prime... and still a bitter hop punch to the gut... rather balanced, smooth.... only slightly chalky and ashy.... but the toffee, and caramel is quite nice.

- Thick, medium to heavy body, great carbonation, and rather smooth. Slightly dry and oily.

- Very drinkable... perhaps just a little past its prime. Sofar I liked the '08 with about 6+ months on it. May drink the rest of my '09's from 6 months to 1.5 years on it.

---

09' (not reviewing fresh)

03-31-2009 02:04:59 | More by Docer
JoeBloe

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

a good brew to drink and review this rainy sunday morning - poured nice into one of those sam adams glasses with a 2 finger head to the rim - it had that rich, clear deep amber color that i like -faint aromas of malt, alcohol, hops - tastes just fine, with good balance, making it very easy to drink - alcohol is very well hidden taste-wise - i preferred the second, warmer glass i poured - a little more of a hop finish here - an empty glass leaves lacing only at the top where the head was, clean the rest of the way down - good stuff - the day is still young - what do i follow this with?

03-29-2009 16:54:15 | More by JoeBloe
Nibbley

Georgia

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

Wow,what can I tell you,
This is one of the most amazing brews I have ever had the pleasure to drink.
Pours a beautiful hazy golden-copper with a thick head that laces the glass for the duration.
I wish I had the vocabulary to properly describe all the complexity of this brew.
Starts out big and malty with an incredible huge mouthfeel.
Nice warming alcohol that isnt overpowering considering the ABV of 10.50%.
Finishes with a great hoppy goodness.
This one goes in my all time top 5 beers.

03-28-2009 19:31:12 | More by Nibbley
jrodvog148

Sweden

A beer well worth the wait. Anything you read about this beer is true and a sound purchase if you can find it. It is becoming more and more available then it used to be and from what I learned from a Stone Brewing rep that they ship it out in the fall time. This might have changed since then. Found it at the Canal's in Hamilton Square off of rt 130.

03-28-2009 17:38:31 | More by jrodvog148
BarrelO

3.68/5  rDev -13.8%

22oz bomber poured into a goblet. 2008 edition. At this time last year, I couldn't find any of the 2007 in my neck of the woods. I guess times really are tough all around.

Side note: I don't see the point of classifying this as an American Strong Ale. I can see how it makes sense for Arrogant Bastard, which really doesn't fit into any other style classification. But as far as I'm concerned, this is indistinguishable from a barleywine. If there are any relevant differences, I am unable to detect them.

A: Dark brownish red. Hardly any head.

S: The malt and hops come together in a way that is almost reminiscent of chocolate.

T: In the past, the hoppiness has been a bit too harsh for me, so I decided to let it warm up more than I usually do in the hopes that it would calm down a bit. Doing so provided me with further ammunition for my "DB=barleywine" theory. It tasted pretty much the same as Bell's Third Coast Old Ale, but a bit worse. In fact, it became a bit of a chore to drink once I reached the second half of the bottle.

M: Acceptably thick without too much carbonation to get in the way.

D: I like Stone, but this just didn't work for me. In fact, it's kind of striking how OG manages to be both bigger and more drinkable. This is easily my least favorite of the Bastards. I haven't officially reviewed the other two yet, but I'd rank them as follows: Oaked, Arrogant, Double. Now, an Oaked Double Bastard...that's something I wouldn't mind checking out.

03-28-2009 06:46:13 | More by BarrelO
Wackyfoot

Oregon

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Until I drank this beer I didn't realize that I was such a masochist...I'm glad that Stone is out there to teach me such valuable life lessons. Dark brown pour with a thick and frost head with nice lacing left behind. Big citrus and caramel aroma with a similar flavor. Alcohol very prominent, but not unpleasantly so. Always a fun beer to trick your friends into drinking without being properly prepared!

03-25-2009 07:21:08 | More by Wackyfoot
callmescraps

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

Have heard fantastic things about this one, and knew where I could get my hands on one.

Appearance - Very nice. A reddish brown color. An inch or so of nice off-white, yellowish head. Very nice looking beer. Almost maple syrup looking, but nice and clear.

Smell - Lots of candy sugar smell. With a real booze kicker. Almost vanilla. Very sweet. Not picking up as much hops as some say, but I do get a sense of the sweet citrus lingering in the background.

Taste - Holy sweet caramel malt! Holy tangy grapefruit and piney hops! Holy booze! Um, it's interesting. The caramel malt really comes with it. It has a nice roasted flavor. Almost coffee-ish, but more of a nice roast. The hops are more prevalent in taste than they were in smell. But it's pretty boozy on the finish, especially as it warms. The aftertaste is sweet booziness.

Mouthfeel - A little thick. It's kind of foamy, coating the whole mouth.

Drinkability -Hard to gauge. I'm enjoying it. But it's got a lot of alcohol. It's pretty potent. Not sure I'd want another one, that's for sure.

This is a pretty good beer. It's very interesting, and an unusual balance. It's also got a big booze kick. It's strong and pretty damned tasty. Glad I've tried it, but not necessarily my all-time favorite.

03-23-2009 05:27:45 | More by callmescraps
cavedave

HEY! Pssst. Yes, Stone Double Bastard! I have given this brew the highest rating.

It pours an incredibly thick ruby amber. I hold it to the light. This beer is alive. Fifty degrees and it breathes in my glass. My nose is no where near the glass, but its aroma has found me since I opened the bottle.

The nose is alcohol wrapped through the finest malts' best preserved fragrances. It infiltrates the senses with a morphing mix of intoxicating aroma. It finds the deepest recesses of the nose and tongue. I can taste it in my eyes.

The first sip. WOW! It jolts a massive blast of malt, the finest malt, you know it right away, its full range of tones, that flavor which changes as it runs into the finish, running through bread, caramel, alcohol, through herbal ecstacy, and crests into a wave of balanced bitterness, a swirl of citrus, herbs, alcohol, earth, an amazing mix.

The alcohol is massive in DB. Usually I rate less well if I get a large alcohol presence, especially in strong ales, I'm an English style old ale lover. But here the craft of the brewer is magnificent, the vapor of it sends the swirling milieu of flavor perfectly into a river of changing delight, climaxing in an incredibly long finish that lingers until the next sip, be that sip ten minutes later. It is an achievement, a masterpiece, I can't give higher praise for this champion, imho, of this style. I hope to taste a better one than this, but I doubt I will.

03-22-2009 18:18:12 | More by cavedave
bum732

Lesotho

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

2008 release

Pours a hazy orange red, great bubbly head leaving fantastic lacing. Smells of grapefruit hops, other tropical fruits, caramel malt, earthiness . Huge caramel malt up front followed quickly by a shotgun to the face of piney and grapefruity hops. Some tropical fruit sweetness is present along with quite of bit of earthiness. Bitterness is very pronounced, almost acidic. Finishes sweet with a hop twang, alcohol pretty noticeable. Good carbonation, but im sure its faded a little since i aged this.

An enormous beer, this baby will kick your ass. Huge malt profile accompanied by a huge hop profile. I'm amazed by the one-two of all malt then all hop, very unique. Extremely smooth and drinkable, unlike the 120 minute. I would love to try this fresh as i'm sure there would be a great hop aroma that isn't present here. Definitely recommend, definitely a sipper.

03-21-2009 01:19:24 | More by bum732
ALESwhatCURESya

Wisconsin

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

What a great beer to sip as I pack and get ready for a trip to the dominican republic. This 2008 batch pours out a deep rusty amber color with a slightly off-white head. Lacing is quite impressive as it clings to my Delirium snifter. Slight sediment at the bottom of the bottle. The aroma candy-like with strong notes of caramelized sugars and hop spiciness. A little more subdued than I expected, but pleasant. The taste brings together a sense of IPA meets barleywine in a harmonious blend. The richness of the malts and the sharpness of the hops comes together wonderfully, but not at all unbalanced. Unlike others in this style that lean to heavy towards the hops, this one pulls in multitudes of depth while remaining tethered. The mouthfeel is slightly thinner than I would guess for a beer of this nature and statue. The hoppiness leaves a pleasant dryness to the, otherwise sweet, body. Drinkability is truly lethal on this. At 10.5%, it is tough to realize how strong it is until it is too late. Well done and superbly crafted.

03-21-2009 00:49:00 | More by ALESwhatCURESya
robbyc1

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

Cloudy amber, nice highlights, with solid 1 1/2 off white head, great lace all the way down.

Smell has fresh hop nose, spicy, amarillo or similar hops. Nothing special just nice.

A hop bite up front, with a solid backbone of maltiness, and a slight alcohol burn at the finish, strong ale for sure, not quite a barleywine as some have said. I've had the Arrogant Bastard which I think I like just as much as this one. Both are nicely balanced. Maybe I was simply expecting more here. It has a good not great strong ale flavor, much easier drinkability than it should at 10%.

The mouthfeel is a bit light, and the finish is very nicely balanced between spicy dry and sweet. Intriguing. I'm going to say that this stands up to Bells Old Ale, but I'd take Bell's over this.

03-19-2009 21:01:58 | More by robbyc1
ThatWineGuy

Ontario (Canada)

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

This bottle was transported by car about a week ago and, from the look of it, it hasn't quite settled down yet. There is a murky, reddish-brown hue to it with minute suspended particles that suggest plum puree to me. The head is fleeting but a thin veil remains atop the prune-like nectar. The smell is big hoppy, spirited, caramel, sweet toffee ... very reminiscent of a barleywine. The taste is similarly BIG with layers of caramel, heat in the mouth, sour dark fruit, very long drawn out aftertaste with flashes of bitter, malty liquer, more caramel, more malt. Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth but, for me, the alcohol remains front and center. The label says, in part, "not to be wasted on the tentative or weak" and it makes me wonder where I fit in ... it's almost too much for me. Barleywines have never been my favourite beerstyle although I respect them and, in this case, the 10 per cent ABV is reasonably well kept in check. But make no mistake, a strong ale like this is never to be taken lightly; I've been sipping my half of the big bottle for well over an hour and while I'm appreciating it more as I go along, I'd be loathe to recommend this to a novice. For the experienced beer lover, this pushes the envelope big time and it's a trip you owe yourself: complex, thrilling, entertaining and not soon to be forgotten.

03-18-2009 04:10:08 | More by ThatWineGuy
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

2007 Vintage - sampled 17/03/09

Raw sienna and burnt umber combine (along with a splash of clamato) to make for a very murky yet extraordinarily gradient colour scheme. In fact, the beer fragments into many different tones when held into the light, this outpouring of colour is radiant and bright despite the dismal clarity. Head is minimal but signs of carbonation are quite apparent (and sticky).

Prepare to have your nose barraged by an onslaught of succulently sweet malts and an enormous eruption of bitter, resiny hops. This has as much caramel *and* as much pine serum as is likely possible to find in a beer, not to mention the sheer amount of grapefruit. I'm always impressed by beers that can manage to be both extremely hoppy and malty. I'd probably rupture a 'pleasure gland' if there was such a thing...

This hoppy/malty concoction is deliciously tasty. There is a giant flaring up of dark fruity notes (plum, currants, red grapes, figs) as well as sugary confectioneries (brittle, truffles, sweets and sticky toffee pudding). The suggestion of cinnamon and nutmeg combine with the above to resemble plum pudding. The hops also impart distant but discernible notes of citrus.

Despite all these fireworks of flavour, the beer's composure and alcohol content never rupture. It is smooth, mellowed, and deceitful about its real strength. Some of this may have to do with the bottle's age although not all. The people at Stone definitely deserve credit for disguising such a big, aggressive-minded beer as something so ripe, softened and mellow.

Don't listen to that write up - go home with a bottle whether you feel worthy or not. If you are worthy you'll certainly appreciate it and if you aren't, you soon will be. Double Bastard is at least twice as good as most beers on the shelves. A beer like this really raises one's standards about what they put in their body and how they choose to spend their money.

03-18-2009 02:52:43 | More by biegaman
Stunner97

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

Appearance- Nice thick white foamy head, with dark brown beer with slight carbonation and bubbles that can be seen on the edge of the glass, relatively clear in body and can be seen through

Smell- Beautiful sweet strong malty nose, lots of caramel and molasses just rip out of this beer, very sweet sugary nose, slight hops, and maybe slight hints of a milk chocolate,

Taste- thick creamy flavor at the jump off, lots of sweet sugar and malts lead off the early taste, similar to nose to lots of sugar, malts, caramel, and even hits of chocolates smash you up front deliciously, on the finish though you get that ever so slight bitter hops that slowly and slightly build up, an amazing beer with very complex flavors that would be interpeted different by people on each taste, good slight bitterness on finish matches sweet start

Mouthfeel- Very very very soft, creamy smooth and definitely heavy bodied, though so soft it has illusion of light, a nice beauty of a mouth feel

Drinkability- Scarily drinkable considering the 10.5 percent alcohol, its so soft smooth and delicious you want more and more with each sip, a classic beer to me, one to savor each sip, I could find a flaw what so ever in this beer to be honest, so well rounded and yet so complex, hard to put into words just how good this beer is, infact i feel me trying to describe it now isnt doing it justice, if you like the regular bastard try the double its like the ultra reserve of whats already a reserve, enjoy! you wont regret it!

03-16-2009 05:15:56 | More by Stunner97
dismal

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very dark red, brown color. Produces about a two finger head that goes down quick but leaves plenty of lacing down the glass. The aroma is a little hoppy but the hops don't jump out, and the smell is also kind of sweet like caramel. The taste is great, very smooth and sweet. It's hoppy but not extremely hoppy which I do like but in this case not extremely hoppy is really good. It has a bit of bitterness to it and overall the taste is great. For such a high alcohol content it's masked very nicely and I could easily and would love to drink a couple of these.

03-16-2009 01:21:53 | More by dismal
clayrock81

4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured a murky brown body that had a two-finger offwhite head taht died slowly and left lace down the glass. The smell is strong and simply put, it is a mix of sweet malts and floral hops that I will dwelve into in the taste. Smooth and creamy is my first impression of this almost full-bodied beer. There are malt notes in the taste like caramel, roasted and maybe even some toasted/burny malts (could be coffee) that mix with a strong dose of citric and floral hops (this is the Stone brewery afterall). It leads to a drying, somewhat tastebud killing, sweet and nutty taste mixed with fruits and the ABV makes itself appreciated on the backend as there is a minor warming, alkie burn as you finish this. Bottom line, this beer encompasses both extreme sweet and roasted malts and bitter hop sensations for a complex beer that at 10.5% ABV gave me a buzz after one bomber (and is dangerous b/c I killed the bomber quick it was so good).

03-15-2009 19:54:32 | More by clayrock81
scifan

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours a copper amber color with an off-white head that sticks around for awhile. Smells very sweet, getting lots of caramel malts in this one very little hop presence in this one. Taste very similar to smell. Very malty and sweet, and caramel. There is a more noticeable hop presence on the finish of this one. I'm surprised at the lack of hoppiness in this brew from Stones. Good carbonation, but the sweetness of this one is a little much.

03-15-2009 03:59:56 | More by scifan
tai4ji2x

3.9/5  rDev -8.7%

new 2008 batch, poured into tulip

some yeast particles this time. some slightly better lacing.

additional hints of maple syrup in the aroma.

not as overpoweringly hoppy as before, perhaps not as boozy either, but still not as "nuanced" as the regular bastard.

i suppose taste can be moved from 3.5 to 4.0, but it's still hard to give this a higher drinkability score.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>
OLD REVIEW Oct 10, 2008

brought back a bottle with me to beijing

22oz bomber, no date. poured into tulip.

very dark, brownish amber with copper hue. translucent with faint haze. nice head, fades to wispy layer and foamy ring. some thin, spotty lacing - much less than expected.

deep malty aroma, almost maltose and candy-like, dark caramel. piney hops meld with candy-like malts. hint of citrus (grapefruit zest)

hops definitely make their note more on the palate - SMACK! piney, resiny and boldly bitter upfront. linger a bit however. also, gets kind of phenolic and in the way of the also boldly caramel malts. whiffs of whisky and brandy. resinous aftertaste. alcohol is noticeable and on the boozy side.

quite smooth and substantial. some tannic astringency.

meh... the regular bastard is much more balanced and nuanced.

03-14-2009 08:54:57 | More by tai4ji2x
CrossansWright

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

This beer will make you rethink your life. I read the back of the bottle while watching television and felt like I was committing some sort of heresy against the Brewing Gods. Those Stone guys are so arrogant that one might feel completely undeserving of even a sip of their beer. Their commitment to making quality beer and letting the customer know about it combined with the sexiest bottle out there makes this a good experience before you even open the bottle. Now, on to the beer. It pours a nice copper color with an off-white head that didn't hang around too long and didn't leave much lacing; coulda been the lighting, but I thought it was a bit hazy also. Smells of alcohol and citrus, kinda sweet in a liquor sort of way. Extremely full mouthfeel, each sip felt like more than it actually was. Taste is of strong alcohol and hop bitterness with a peppery bite at the back of the throat. The malt takes over towards the end. I know this is lacking in description, but its a very delicious beer.

03-14-2009 02:38:02 | More by CrossansWright
Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.