Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reagan1984

2.68/5  rDev -37.2%

Very aggressive and foamy beige head appears above a mahogany or cherry wood colored beer. The beer is totally translucent and shows no visible carbonation. The head has excellent retention and there is a nice amount of lacing.

Aroma is of alcohol and ripe fruits. Getting that ripe pineapple sense I get sometimes. Also some of the classic Arrogant Bastard malt aroma.. Not sure how to describe it, but it's distinctive.

I have to admit, I shared one of these the other night with a buddy and I just loved it. Truth be told I'm a big Arrogant Bastard fan... It was a little later in the night and I did enjoy it... Didn't review as I knew my palate was fried...

Now I have to say as the first beer of the day it's not as enjoyable. It's a bit hot and the alcohol is front and center. My beer fridge is set at 46 degrees. I let it sit out for about 10 minutes first. So it's not too cold. BA says to serve between 45 - 50 degrees. I am right there... The flavor starts with a strong alcohol flavor. After this (and the warming effect) you get some deep rich malt. Hop bitterness comes in, but is quickly taken over by the strong alcohol again. I have to say, I am sitting here and am quite disappointed. I am thinking this bad boy needs some aging...to mellow.

Mouth feel is as if you are drinking a strong VODKA drink....

Drinkability is not so great. Am I really writing this about an Arrogant Bastard and a Stone product? I can't believe it....

Color me disappointed. I have to go get a regular Arrogant Bastard to ensure I'm not going crazy...

12-04-2008 23:56:25 | More by Reagan1984
PatrickJR

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into nonic pint glass.

A - Dark amber with a slight haze. 2-3 fingers of off white head rise with decent retention and some heavy lacing.

S - Lots of grapefruit and the same pineapple aroma from it's little brother Arrogant Bastard. Underlying the huge fruitiness are hints of pine and mint. Very enticing.

T - Slight pineapple rounded off by apples and pears hits early palate. The beer then moves on to the big grapefruit component with floral, pine, and almost berry-like undertones. The sweetness present begins dying away leaving a touch of peppery/spicy flavor. Late palate the alcohol pokes through just a tad and finishes with a coarse bitterness.

M - Somewhere in the realm of medium bodied, but at times it seems a bit watery. Carbonation is moderate as well and can be a small deterrent.

D - A taste brew, but the high ABV and huge bitterness make this beer a one and done for me.

12-04-2008 08:13:11 | More by PatrickJR
LilBeerDoctor

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

Reviewed on 4/24/08. Bottle, 2007. Pours a deep red/amber/brown color with a small white head that dissipates quickly. Aroma of caramel malt, some floral hops. Flavor mainly of malt, some floral and piney hops, faint grapefruit notes. Delicious! Thick mouthfeel, so this is a sipper, but is one of the most balanced American strong ales. Sweet, but not too sweet and thick, but not too thick. Excellent, best ASA I've had to date. I love this beer! (Oh yeah, also the label is awesome!) 8/4/9/5/17 (4.3/5)

12-02-2008 20:59:40 | More by LilBeerDoctor
ralree

Maryland

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

A: Clear and dark red with a slightly tan head. 2-fingers, slowly edging down to half a finger, and holding steady. Great looking beer.

S: This one is very aromatic, especially when pouring. Sticky brown sugar, dark fruit abound, a lot of alcohol burn. This is a serious beer.

T: Nice hoppy flavor with lots of dark fruit backing, some spiciness. Wow - the bitterness really kicks in after swallowing. Alcohol is very present, but acceptable. Slight smokiness in the aftertaste (just barely).

M: Feels good in the mouth. Kinda chewy, a little astringent, great carbonation.

D: Drinks well, but not for the faint of mouth. Not a good first beer to try!

12-02-2008 05:05:09 | More by ralree
SaucyA

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

2007. Cellared properly for a year.

A - Pours a deep rusty brown with amber twinges, into the snifter. The head is a taught, off white cream that quickly disappears into itself. Bits of lacing.

S - I smell my mom's ambrosia salad, quite honestly. Pineapples and oranges under a sweet, malty base. Alcohol, caramel.

T - The major hoppiness faded into the malt background, creating a reasonably balanced alcohol-bomb. Tobacco, molasses, caramel. Sweet as opposed to bitter, it finishes rather dry, surprisingly. Good, not great.

M - Quite on point. Thick and rather viscous with a fine carbonation running through it. Could stand a little more attenuation, but I'm being nit-picky.

D - Not bad drinkability at all. In fact, quite easy-drinking given the abv and amount of ingredients.

Notes: I like it with a bit of time on it rather than fresh. It just comes across as a little too overwhelming (in terms of heat, sweetness, AND hops) when it's freshly bottled. Not as good as ABA, in my opinion.

How this isn't labeled a barleywine is beyond me...

12-01-2008 21:56:10 | More by SaucyA
corby112

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours a dark brown color with a nice tan foamy head that settles into a nice lacing that lasts throughout. Aroma of roasted maltiness, chocolate, nuts and hops. Up front there is a lucious roasted chocolate maltiness that is perfectly balanced by a huge bitter hoppy finish. I love this beer.

12-01-2008 08:26:40 | More by corby112
prsguitarsr4me

4.97/5  rDev +16.4%

Wow this is fantastic. Nice dark woody amber color, nice head with nice lacing. Smell is fruity and hoppy. Taste is just exceptional. Smooth and clear and refined. More fruity and sweet than most Stones I've had - actually not as strong or extreme as I expected. I think the Arrogant Bastard is actually more extreme, but this is more complex, for sure. The balance is exceptional - all the flavors and the alcohol are blended perfectly. Feel is thick and creamy, and the alcohol is hidden well. I'll be getting many more of this and saving them.

12-01-2008 02:58:54 | More by prsguitarsr4me
HeyItsChili

China

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

A - Stone Double Bastard Ale pours a deep, dark, cloudy copper with a thin tan head that slowly retreats to a foamy film atop the brew.

S - Sweet, fruity, raisins, malty. Very complex

T - The taste is as malty and sweet as the aroma suggests. A little piney with some aftertaste of alcohol giving away the 10.0% ABV. Really amazing, at least to my taste buds.

M - Mouthfeel is good, smooth, medium bodied.

D - Incredible drinkability, especially for such a strong beer. It is just perfect for savoring.

12-01-2008 02:45:18 | More by HeyItsChili
kimcgolf

Georgia

3.55/5  rDev -16.9%

Pours to a murky reddish brown with a slight off-white head that lingers to about quarter-glass and leaves okay lacing. Aroma is malty raisin with earth scents. Mouthfeel is fairly thick and sweet, with hoppy bitterness creeping in. Flavor is more malty raisin than hoppy citrus (as I had hoped), leading to a fairly bland, bittersweet finish.

I much prefer the hopped up Arrogant Bastard over his Double relative.

12-01-2008 01:48:17 | More by kimcgolf
JordanC

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Nice amber color with a head that sticks around

It smelled very malty, so much so I expected less hops out of the taste.

Loved the balance between hops and malt. At first there is a caramel taste and then hops begin to over whelm it. But what is left on your tongue is the initial malty-caramel flavor leaving a non-bitter aftertaste

Nice and thick for a strong ale. I liked the way you got a nice hop bitterness but it did not stick there afterward

A good beer if you like hops (some don't). This is the first of these releases I've had, but will not be my last

11-28-2008 22:37:41 | More by JordanC
mtbbaboon

Connecticut

3.9/5  rDev -8.7%

Picked up a 22oz bottle. Poured into a snifter glass. Pours a real nice dark copper color with thick foamy head. Moderate lacing that doesn't really hang on for very long. Smells of malt and pine, with some hoppy tones. Definitey more malty though. The alcohol aroma is strong. The taste follows the smell. Tastes malty and sweet, and the alcohol is really noticable in the aftertaste. It's got a touch of bitterness as well. It's got a medium bodied, creamy mouthfeel. Leaves some stick in the mouth, and goes down nice and smooth. This is a good beer and I enjoyed drinking it. Definitely a strong ale.

11-28-2008 20:58:36 | More by mtbbaboon
pwsoldier

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

2007 release poured into a North Coast snifter from a 22 oz bomber.

A - Pours a deep, cloudy mahogany with a creamy tan head. The head dissipates slowly and leaves plenty of lacing.

S - Lots of complexity here. Oak, pine, dark fruit, and alcohol all blend to create an aroma that's sweet and enticing. My palate is already screaming for a taste!!!

T - My nose doesn't lie. This beer is every bit as wonderful as the aromas suggest. Malt presence is absolutely enormous! Some hops come through to try to balance it, but the malt definitely dominates. The alcohol makes itself known in the finish with a warming bite.

M - Full-bodied and unbelievably smooth with a wet finish. Some spicy hop notes linger on the palate, along with a kiss of alcohol.

D - I really wasn't expecting this monster of a beer to be so easy to drink. It's very smooth and immensely enjoyable. I need to get my hands on more of this!

11-27-2008 23:15:20 | More by pwsoldier
FtownThrowDown

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a murky brown in color. There was a small amount of head on the pour, but it is completely gone before I can find my seat. Smell is huge malt and a good amount of hops. Everything seems to be amped up a bit.
Taste is a bit more hops than I was expecting and a whole bunch of spiciness that caught me off guard. Very enjoyable, but nothing to mess around with. Good amount of caramel malts and to a lesser amount some toffee. This is a good beer fresh. I've had an older bottle that was amazingly good, but fresh, this stands up there with the rest of them. Good beer.

11-26-2008 16:15:30 | More by FtownThrowDown
SerieDNo3

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

Appearance: Opaque, or very nearly so. Poured a dark ruby-red brown into a tulip glass. Decent head retention and lacing.

Smell: Hops; very piney and aggressive.

Taste: Wonderfully hoppy with notes of smoky wood and caramel. The alcohol has a nice warming effect, and the flavors become more complex as it warms to room temperature.

Mouthfeel: When cold, at first, the carbonation gives it a nice tingly feeling. It becomes more syrupy and chewy as it warms up.

Drinkability: Surprisingly drinkable for a 10% American Strong Ale. The flavors are more pronounced when it gets warmer, but it goes down a bit easier when colder. Nevertheless, the effort is worth it, as this is an exceptional brew.

11-26-2008 03:34:36 | More by SerieDNo3
buffettfan

Arizona

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from bomber, into a glass.

Appearance was dark brown, with a decent, white head, that went away fairly quickly.

Aroma was very balanced. Some citrus hops, and a caramel malt scent.

Taste was not what I had expected. A fair amount of hops, but not as much as I expected. This is a well balanced taste, with a sweet almost chocolaty maltyness that took me completely off guard.

Mouthfeel was on the lighter side, and smooth.

A very nice, drinkable beer.

11-25-2008 20:34:43 | More by buffettfan
gyllstromk

3.78/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured a 2008 into a snifter. DB is a deep red, mostly clear, with mild head and lacing.

Smells a bit tart: cherries, cranberries, or raisins. Some hops and malts are there with a very apparent amount of alcohol. Taste follows with a bit more hops and noticeable alcoholic affect.

Overall I'm not blown away by this beer. For 10% ABV I'd like something a little more experimental, whether its a hop blast or a bourbon aged stout. Call me spoiled. Stone's Ruination and Russian Imperial Stout are much stronger offerings.

11-25-2008 05:12:59 | More by gyllstromk
KFaulkner

3.18/5  rDev -25.5%

I love Arrogant Bastard because I feel like it's the perfect balance of old school, hair-on-your-chest brewing, plus enough warming alcohol to give you a kick in the pants. In fact, it's one of my all-time favorites.

But I feel like Double Bastard is just that same beer on steroids... stronger, but with shrunken testicles.

11-25-2008 03:03:43 | More by KFaulkner
Nickls

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

A - Poured with a decent white head, that dissipated quickly. Hazy copper-brown color

S - Nice, but not overwhelming hops and a good deal of maltiness

T - Huge hop smack up front (burn baby burn), and some warming alcohol pops in before a malty end.

M - Thicker MF, and near creamy. Very light on the carbonation. Almost viscous

D - Despite the whack of hops, this is surprisingly balanced. Alcohol was almost not noticeable, which helped with the drinkability.

Overall, I thought this was fantastic. Definitely takes all the elements of Arrogant Bastard and ratchets them up several notches. Fantastic stuff, and definitely seek this year's out!

11-25-2008 02:11:44 | More by Nickls
argock

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Poured from 22oz brown bottle into a clear oversized wine glass. No freshness date.

A: Velvety brown with ample golden head that disappates quickly and a couple of lines of lace.

S: Delicious caramel malt, dark fruit like purple grapes and dates, leafy, tobacco-like hops

T: All I can say is -- malt-assault with a serious hop snap. Dark fruit and toffee malt flavors blend with leafy and bitter hops and hefty alcohol warming finish.

M: Medium-to-full body although less body than I expected. Aftertaste is very bitter and the alcohol is substantial.

D: A huge beer with upped hops and malt from little brother Arrogant Bastard. I think I like the little brother more because the alcohol presence is a lot less but still retains most of the character of this fine brew.

11-24-2008 02:48:41 | More by argock
caminiti

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

An outstandingly bitter beer for an outstandingly bitter man. This is, as advertised, very bitter. Pours with a small head that quickly goes away, bark orange in color. Tastes of nothing but lipsmacking bitterness, making you want to take another sip right away. Nice thing is, it is generally easily available in the Albany area, so no need to stockpile, and tastes great while fresh.

11-24-2008 02:47:09 | More by caminiti
TLove

4.4/5  rDev +3%

This is an exceptionally well-constructed ale with a deep amber color and a substantive, hoppy structure and a notably sharp finish....

The taste is well-laced with an extraordinary bitterness that comes on a bit strong, even compared with the 10% ABV.

The drinkability of the beer is entirely subject to one's tolerance of a consistently bitter ale of this sort, however, I find the sharp finish and spicyness of the ale be highly drinkable, if one doesnt mind a bit of pretentiousness in the beer's craft and bottle design.

A great beer from an arrogant brewery.

11-23-2008 03:53:05 | More by TLove
prosk8er480

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

Bomber poured into glass. Head is small and disappeared very quickly. Strongly smells of malt and hops. You can feel the carbonation over the tounge and the hops basically punch you in the mouth, its phenominal. This beer is definetaly fresh, I have 5 bottles being aged as we speak.

11-23-2008 02:48:07 | More by prosk8er480
Brad007

Vermont

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a reddish-brown color with a one-finger head into my pint glass.

Aroma has raisin and currant in the nose with a subtle alcohol warmth.

Taste is sweet upfront with a decent kick of citrus hop bitterness and raisin, followed by a strong kick of alcohol warmth that coats the throat and a decent amount of malt sweetness.

Mouthfeel is warm with the citrus hop bitterness and raisin flavor sticking out the most, followed by the alcohol warmth.

I like this. Reminds me of Arrogant Bastard, except that there's more focus on the alcohol part. It reminds me of what I enjoy about Arrogant Bastard and as a result, I enjoy its bigger cousin. Definitely a sipping beer that's worth your time.

11-22-2008 20:02:33 | More by Brad007
Bananaman

Sweden

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

Really nice to finally try something from Stone Brewing. Shared a 650ml bottle with Ljunkan!

Looks really nice, the bottle is just faboulous. Ruby/red brown color with a nice beige foam.

Smells intresting sweet caramel malts together with those classic American hops. Notes of fruit candy something like "Gott och blandat" that we have in Sweden.

Tastes really good, again the classic American hops together with some sweet rosted malts, those fruit candy aromas lurk in the background.

It is really filling too! All and all, a very good beer, of course a bit hyped, but still.

11-22-2008 16:08:26 | More by Bananaman
Ljunkan

Sweden

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

650 ml bottle (2007) shared with Bananaman.

Dark red color with a mediumzised beige head.

Smell is dark berries, fruity candy, sweet malts... well actually I think it's like smelling into a bag of candy or something... not that wrong. Some american hops there too.

Taste is fruity with a big bitterness. It also got notes of fruit candy with a sweet, pleasant aftertaste. Lots of american hop-notes with a obvious taste of grapefruit. Very good. Some warming alcohol in the taste.

Very filling, fullbodied and nice in the mouth. The carbonation is average and very nice. A bit sticky, but not in a bad way.

A very nice sipper. Reminds me a little of american barley wines, but it has some other characteristics as well. My next bottle will be standing for a while though.

11-22-2008 09:09:17 | More by Ljunkan
Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.