Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 6,214 | Reviews: 2,056
4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

2010 Vintage, 11.2%, poured into a snifter.

Appearance- Pours a murkey copper color with a one finger sandy colored head. Good retention and lacing for the size of this beer.

Smell- Dark fruits and caramel. Some faint citrus and pine notes.

Taste- Caramel and dark fruits, notes of raison, cherry, very malty. Maple syrup sweetness in the middle. Not cloying at all. Finishes with a slight piney hoppyness with some citrus fruit (pineapple/grapefruit). The finish is fairly dry, beging for you to drink more. Pretty complex actually.

Mouthfeel- Full bodied and thick, lower side of carbonation. Viscous. There is an alcohol warming, but I would not call this "hot".

Overall- Great beer, very drinkable for the abv's! Finished the bomber by myself, no problem. Not the best strong ale I have had, but it is up there.

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured from 22oz bomber into St Bernardus chalice. 2009 batch. Some floaties and sediment near the bottom of the bottle,

A- Dark amber with a thin head.
S- Fruity and pronounced caramel. Noticeable liqour scent.
T- Very full on the palate with robust malts. Hoppy astringency that balances it all out very well.
M- Very good mouthfeel... could use a wee bit carbonation but it is right bout on point.
D- Very high all considering the 10.5% ABV. A little sneaky if you ask me. Balanced between syrupy, spicy, hoppy and malty.

Very good and definitely deserving of a top 100 spot!

Poured / looked / tasted ordinary. I feel like I can purchase a beer of this quality at a far cheaper price. Poured a lighter color and more cloudy than I expected. It also seems like the hops overpower other flavors which might be present in the beer.

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

2010 - 11.2% abv

A - Dark mahogany with garnet hues, 1 and 1/2 inch yellowing head (the color of old paper) Lacing is great, lasts the entire glass.

S - At first I only got faint hints of hops but after a few swirls the aroma intensified giving off scents of alcohol, apple, hops, and raisons.
(reminds me of Raison D'extra and Old school barley wine from DFH)

T - Bold, aggressive, bitter hops, grapefruit, boozy, apple skin. Nice maltiness in the background.

M - Super smooth, pretty thick.

D - one 22oz is plenty, a sipper for sure.

3.96/5  rDev -7%

Live review of a 22 oz bottle.
A: Dark copper amber, poured with a nice head that died to a thin collar.
S: Cheesy citrus (grapefruit), resiny hops, caramel biscuit malt in the front; nice and welcoming. Tastes a lot like a Midwestern style IPA, honestly. Very welcoming.
T: Nice bitter burn with the hops, the alcohol is gin with a nice orange juice. Caramel fades into roasted malts (like brandy with chocolate), raisins and grapes seem to be present in the backgound. Again, cheesy gin lingers minutes after the sip.
M: Moderately thick with mild carbonation.
D: OK. One glass is good.

3.91/5  rDev -8.2%

The classic. The first beer I attempted to cellar some 5 years ago.
This here is the 2009.
Hideous red, plumes of malted citrus. Smooth, easy drinking. Heavy and chewy malts, still a huge hop presence, though not overly bitter. Big alcohols still reside in this ridiculous ale. Still a bit fusel.

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Definitely my favorite strong ale, and quite a doosey at that... just drink a bomber like me and you'll know why. Stone hits another one out of the park. Their IRS is definitely my favorite beer, and this one is right up there. Keep 'em comin' stone!!!!

4.06/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

What did I get myself into? Have drank this beer for years and always enjoyed it, but thanks go to petesuphi for a 3 liter surprise. Shared with him and Jwiss22. Reviewed from notes and so the journey begins...

A- A deep reddish brown almost a mahogany color with a nice medium sized off-white/tan head. Good amount of carb that dissipates the head quickly. Surprising that there is that much carb in such a large bottle, but I guess that's what makes it a bastard.

S- Very surprising that a strong ale has that much of a pungent citrus smell, but we are talking about Stone those bastards. As it continues to warm the familiar sweet malts come out and are very soothing to inhale. A little more warming and I can pick up some faint and subtle piney hop smell melding with the citrusy over tone. I am also picking up some sugary perhaps brown sugar from the malts. Very enjoyable.

T- A well concocted strong ale, that finds a great balance with the citrus and grapefruit nuances up front and a little sweet, brown sugar finish. Has a slight warming from the high abv, but no burn like one would expect. Some continued sipping brings more of the sweetness in the finish, but also allows the hop profile to build up in the initial taste. Very nice and enjoyable.

M- A nice and viscous strong ale that borders on chewy. The abv warmth contributes in the feel as well with an almost syrupy feel. The carb is lively, but not overwhelming very mellow and smooth.

D- Definitely especially in bomber format, but the 3 liter is a must share it is simply a big double bastard. Seriously you need two hands to pour it. The bottle has a lock and key for christ's sake. A very nice balance of hops and malts that hides the alcohol well. Dangerous bastard I would say.

A great offering from Stone that gets better each year. Keep those aggressive bastards coming! Thanks again petesuphi for unlocking a 3 liter mega bastard!

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from 22oz bottle into a snifter. 2010 Vintage.

Appearance: Pours a deep dark reddish brown with a finger of khaki head that settles in a minute or two.

Smell: Sweet citrusy notes of grapefruit, pineapple and tangerine, floral hops, heavy sweet malt character and a noticeable boozy aroma on the nose.

Taste: Bitter hops, piney, bitter grapefruit and some sweet pineapple, caramel malts, heavy booze aftertaste on this, but I love a boozy beer.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and boozy (I like that though).

Drinkability: I always enjoy this when I can get it and have another 2010 aging to see how it mellows, even though I like the boozy heat.

2010 vintage. 11.2% ABV for this year.

Sort of light blood red in color, with lots of hues of orange. A finger of beige head that laces a bit sites on top.

The aroma is slightly hoppy, with some caramal malt sweetness candied sugar and a hint of booze.

There's a bit of a hop bite at first, and then it moves to a sweet, rich malt taste, caramel, butterscotch. The booze is there, but it's well hidden for what it is, despite some of the complaints I had heard about the booze this year.

Lightly carbonated, medium in body, and a sort of creaminess.

Solid drinkability. I think this will do great with some age, and I'm gonna find out.

4.67/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance: 22oz bomber, gracious diatribe against bro beers on back, release year (2010) on side. Poured amber/mahogany into perfect pint glass. Half finger off white head.

Smell: Floral and citrus, somewhat orange. Sweet and inviting.

Taste: Wow! Sweet up front followed quickly by a huge wave of hops (my girlfriend HATED it), medium-bodied and smooth lingers and spreads across the tastebuds. Fades bitter and has a bit of a bite on the after-taste but leaves you craving for more.

Drinkability: Probably a sipper, you'll notice the high ABV, but one I wouldn't mind sipping all night.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2010 Release...

Poured from a bomber into a Stone pint glass...

A - Pours mahogany with a one finger tan head. Head dissipates at a fairly quick pace, and there is not much lacing to be had...

S - Citrus, hops, and the sweet smell of malt...

T - Lots of fruits followed by some brown sugar. Ends on a grapefruit note with a nice balance of hops added in. If I didn't know better, I would probably think that I was drinking a Belgium. Has alot of characterisitcs of a Quad. Abv is well hidden. You only get a slight warmth of alcohol at the end. Tasty...

M - Nice and thick with a moderate amount of carbonation...

D - Another good offering from Stone. Definitely something I will be revisiting in the near future.

Cheers...

22oz bottle. 2010 Release. Note: bottle says 11.2% ABV, not 10.50% as stated on BA. Pours a brackish brownish auburn color with a good sized head. Nice lacing. I may be crazy but this beer smells like banana bread with booze in it. The taste is boozey with some hops. Not only does it smell like alcoholic banana bread, but it tastes like it as well. This beer has that alcohol burn to it but it still has a nice drinkability. This is another solid beer from Stone and I look forward to aging one of these to see how it'll taste down the road.

3.93/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from chilled 2010 release bomber into a tulip glass. Bottle shows an ABV of 11.2%.

A: Gorgeous clear deep reddish mahogany with a tight half-inch head that shrinks down to a thin film and ring that grips the glass. Nice think lacing. Just a beautiful looking beer.

S: Smells of lovely dark sticky fruits, sweet malt with a decidedly Belgian quality (almost like a Quad) - no real perceivable hop character, though I suppose I'm detecting a very slight piny resinous component. Very rich and inviting, with a touch of booze that stings the nose. Chomping at the bit to give this a taste.

T: Flavor isn't as complex as the nose, unfortunately, though it's still quite tasty. Lots of that Belgian-esque fruity quality up front with a very slight chocolaty flavor, followed by a little bit of alcohol burn with a short, slightly dry and bitter finish. The alcohol is quite well-hidden for being 11.2% ABV, which can certainly lead to trouble if you're not careful. Not as complex as the rich aroma would suggest, but certainly no slouch either.

M: Quite viscous, not much carbonation. Very sticky on the lips. I love thick, rich beers, and this is near-perfection for my taste.

D: 11.2% ABV alone kinda kills the drinkability of this one. The flavor isn't heavy enough to really overwhelm the palate, and thus doesn't become cloying or unpleasant, and therefore would be much more conducive to enjoying on a larger scale if not for the ABV. I'm a big guy and I'm definitely feeling it after a pint, so 1 or 2 would certainly be plenty. A shame, really, since it's so damned tasty.

A fantastic brew that I would certainly pick up again.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

A: Mahogany red color with a nice finger of head.

S: Nice sweet malty smell w/ strong fruit and hop smells mixed in.

T: sweet malt with a belgian yeasty taste along with fruit hops. The bitter hops balance the other tastes very nicely.

M: Good carbonation fits for this beer.

D: A very impressive brew. I must get this one again.

2.69/5  rDev -36.9%

All kinds of cloudy with an eggshell head, body is an orangish brown sugar color.

Weak aroma of orange and peppermint.

A boozy quad is what it comes off as initially. There would be a very clean finish were it not for the soapy alcohol. A grainy cinnamon, pine base holds up tinges of grapefruit with an offsetting mint with the strongest hops. I can't help but sip at it, the alcohol is too much.

Little heavier than medium bodied. The creamy texture seems off-base, but not problematic. A Belgian kind of smooth carbonation. Still, not at all easy-going.

4.8/5  rDev +12.7%

2010 release from a bottle, bought while on a trip to California. A very fine brew. To me, the balance between hopiness/maltiness/alcohol was extremely good. Do not drink quickly...savor it. On my next trip to California I will definitely buy again. Cheers.

3.48/5  rDev -18.3%

On tap at Melt Bar & Grilled. Poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours a deep amber that is mainly orange in color, mahogany looking. Slightly hazy not so clear. Has a one finger off white head that leaves fair lacing and turns into a little ring around the glass.

S - Smells of booze and hops. Lots of alcohol comes first followed by grapefruit, orange and lemon zest, and some pine. Some light sweetness going on as well.

T - Tastes of booze first and foremost. Lots of dark fruits come after with a big burst of carmely malts. Very complex. I just wish the alcohol was toned down a tad so that the dark fruits would come through more.

M - Mouthfeel is pretty heavy. Medium amount of carbonation. Mouthfeel is nice for this beer. I enjoy this part the most out of the brew.

D - You definitely feel the alcohol percentage on this beer. One pint and I could feel it slightly but I will have a few more of this until the keg is tapped. I have a bottle here at home that I hope will age well over the next few months to a year.

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

2010 release - 22oz bottle poured into snifter glass

Pours a clear cherry mahogany with a one finger high off white head. Fades slowly to some bubbly film, leaving spots of lacing around the glass.

Some bitter hops in the nose with a flair of booziness, pine, toasted caramel, and a bit of fruit sweetness with citrus.

A nice dose of bitterness up front, giving way to dark fruit sweetness including raisins, cherries, and dates. A burly malt backbone dominates the middle of the beer with some bready and caramel qualities. A light touch of grapefruit citrus is also apparent. Finishes long, crisp, and with a nice splash of alcohol warmth.

Fuller body, but very smooth and easy on the tongue. Carbonation is lighter, and even though this is still boozy, its not quite as hot as I expected. This beer is nice with some age on it, but this reminded me how tasty it is fresh as well.

3.68/5  rDev -13.6%

2010 Release

Beautiful mahogany body with an off white head.

Cherry, candied fruit, brown sugar, molassas. Great nose.

Big, sweet malt base. Brown sugar, butterscotch, cherry; caramelized malt gone wild. But don't worry, there's plenty of hop bitterness too (this is Stone after all). Spicy and floral with notes of citrus. Warming alcohol on the finish.

Rich, sticky, full bodied.

One of the more balanced beers Stone makes. That said, it quite rich and a little sweet and I don't think I could have more than a glass. Maybe I just don't like the flavor profile, maybe this is just too much sweet caramel malt for me, but I do not love this beer. I can appreciate that it is a quality brew, but its just not for me and I have to say, I am a little surprised by how high this beer rates. That said, I have tried some vintage bottles and I loved them.

4.08/5  rDev -4.2%

Did a five year vertical of 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010. My personal preference put the 2009 first, 2006 second, 2010 third, 2008 fourth, and 2007 last.

We started with the 2006 first and we worked our way to the most recent version. All of the versions have a great amber color that gets darker towards the heart of the beer. The most recent versions own a very fluffy white head that actually sticks around for awhile. The 2006 version had the viscosity of honey, every vintage just resembled oil more and more the older it was. The older vintages had thick, wine like legs that were beautiful.

The smell of the 2006 was of incredibly sweet malts, light alcoholic booze, honey, and belgian candy sugar. I should just say that the 2006 and 2007 versions just smelled like booze and sugar. The 2009 and 2010 versions had more hop presence in it, and I would have to say the hops start to develop into an almost fruit punch smell in later vintages. One thing I did notice is that the alcohol booze smell is a very strong character in all of the vintages. The hops died out, the malts and biscuit flavors developed into sweet candy sugar, booze stays the entire way.

I love the fresh hops that are in the 2010 version, but I also love the almost 'liquor' characters that the 2006 has. Like I said in the smell category, this is probably more accurately described as a barleywine, not only because it fits the general characters of the style but it also ages like one. It owns a very strong hop character when fresh, and that fades pretty fast. What a really great beer that is such a great candidate for aging.

The mouthfeel of this one gets better with aging. The early vintages does have a great hop bitterness with the malty sweetness, but with age this develops a more oily character and for me becomes more enjoyable. Really glad that this one finally came together and I was able to enjoy it with some great friends.

J

4.36/5  rDev +2.3%

Ye Shall Know the Bastard, and the Bastard Shall Set You Free
Poured into a Duvel tulip. Had with regular AB, OAB and Lukcy in this order:
AB --> OAB --> Lukcy --> DB
This review is brief but I didn't find much difference in character of this one and AB, except for the strength.

Appearance 5/5
Dark ruby and rusty, with the clarity and depth of molten lava. Big brown head, great retention and lacing.

Aroma 4/5
Pine, citrus and caramel rule. Strangely, not as strong smelling as I thought it would be.

Taste 4/5
Strongly bittersweet. Very sweet compared to other bastards but more bitter as well. Seems like an American Barleywine except that it's much more close to AB than any other beer. Caramel notes are present but it's mostly the hop flavor that dominates. Finish is quite clean given the amount of malts in this ale.

Mouthfeel 5/5
Viscous, thick, coating and overwhelming with low carbonation. Spot on.

Drinkability 5/5
Very good, given the ABV. Can't have it too fast and can't have too much, but whatever you can have will go down damn smooth.

Other
This ale is recommended for aging and I sure as hell will if I can get another bottle.

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

3L bottle courtesy of Dave Guay. 2003 vintage. Pours a murky brownish mahogany with a loose, foamy tan-colored head embedded with tiny pinpricks. Big malty nose - figs, prunes, molasses and brown sugar. Taste follows nose with the addition of a cocoa character, some alcohol astringency and an earthy quality. Mouthfeel is medium-light, with a mild, even carbonation. I have to say that this beer has really held up well. The alcohol is dangerously well-hidden on this beer. This might be my favorite Stone offering to date.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Double Bastard is one of those beers that I look forward to every year. Double Bastard was one of those beers that really opened up the perception about beer pushing the envelope of what is considered "normal". Not to mention that it tastes pretty fraking amazing.

2010 Release pours into my IRS snifter with an abundance of off white foam with tight bubbles and good retention overall. Hue is just the most incredible ruby red.Lacing was pretty superb as well, with spider-like webbing all around the glass that should last the entire session.

The nose was, for a lack of better vocabulary, incredible. Malty caramel is the most obvious aroma to discern, along with undertones of toffee and brown sugar on the sweat end. The hops play really well with the intense malt character, giving it a nice aroma of candied pineapple and pine sap. I also get some cherry aroma's as well; not a whole lot but just enough to hide in the background.

The taste is just a open handed smack to the face! And I like it quite a bit. This beer is on the extreme of both ends of the spectrum. Incredibly malty and sweat, but very bitter and pungent all at once. Robust caramel and brown sugar caress the palate along with a huge dose of piney and herbal hops, along with subtle flavors of figs, and candied pineapple. Finishes bitter but fades to a very welcoming malty presence with some heat. It's a 11.2% ABV beer with no age, so it was to be expected.

Mouthfeel really takes the cake with this bad boy of a brew. Velvety, creamy, silky, milkshake and delicious. The incredible mouthfeel is what adds to this beers flavor and savoring capabilities.

Drinkability is much better than I remembered, goes down pretty easy but this beer is meant to be savored over the course of a hour, perhaps 2. Some burn but I expect some age to take that edge off.

PS. This single beer is responsible for opening up the world of great craft beer, especially Barleywines and Stouts. Pay homage to where its do....and I am worthy!
---

4.5/4.5/4.5/4.5/4.5

Poured from bomber into a pint glass

A - Poured a very dark, almost brown, amber with a incredible ivory head and phenomenal lacing.

S - This brew smells absolutely incredible! Strong on the malts as well as hops. Lots of fruits, caramel and piney notes in the nose.

T - Its potent, that's for sure. For having such a high ABV, this was very smooth. Really big on the fruits and malts and a very nice hop finish that begs for more.

M - Nice full bodied feel that coats the mouth. Its high ABV is very welcoming on a fridge day.

D - I enjoyed this far more than the regular ABA, but be warned of the higher ABV. I enjoyed this beer and highly recommend it.

4.08/5  rDev -4.2%

Appearance - Poured into a Tulip by the bartender. 2010. Pours a dark reddish hue with less than a finger of head that dissipates relatively fast leaving decent lacing.

Smell - Heavy hops, grapefruit, pine. Slight alcohol.

Taste - Similar to the nose, however, there is also vanilla, oak, cocoa, and slight dark fruits.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, creamy, lower carbonation.

Drinkability - I will admit, I had a couple before this. However, it is not as alcoholic as I would have assumed. Relatively easy to drink. I have a 2008 of this and can only assume it will be damn amazing.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.