Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

I bought myself a 65 cl long-necked brown bottle. The label is really cool-looking; red & white with two devils (bastards) - one white, one red.

A: It pours very cloude brown/red with a reddish head, quite small, but compact, oh how compact. The slow dissipation leaves very rich lacings.

S: American floral as well as bitter hops in great balance. Citric and piney. Sweet caramell malt. Very complex. Fruity and flowery. Faint chocolate and dark dried fruits.

T: Syrupy piney. Sweet caramell malt. FLoral and bitter hops. Citric - pineapple. Very complex.

M: The aftertaste lingers for quite some time and holds both syrupy sweetness and dry bitterness. The body is full and the carbonation is light.

D: You'll get what you pay for - I bought it in Sweden for ~$13 - worth every penny.
Macro-beers: eat your hearts out!!!

Complete spectrum of aromas, from fruity to chalky. Some barleywine-type characteristics stand out on the nose, but with heightened intensity, and oriented towards the hoppy aspects. Some floral, plenty citric.

Huge, broad bitterness covers the tongue. On the palate the hops are expressed primarily through the bitterness. Starts bitter then gets more bitter on the finish. Tastes like there is a barleywine hiding under there somewhere, but it has been hopped way beyond recognition. Leaves the mouth very hot. There is also a malty/yeasty component to this beer that is quite musky, earthy, dusty, grainy.

I might call it a big brother to Yakima Twilight. But this one is truly unlike any other beer. Not a total joy but definitely an experience.

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a beatiful deep red, almost wine red, with a dirty modest head that leaves a little spotted lacing.

Smells of sweet fruits with cookie dough and fudge, I also seem to perceive a hint of wet dirt!

Initially sweet fruits with... almost like pastry-dough, with a very filling malt prescense that brings a fudge-ness along with a hint of bread syrup. Tastes very well up to the middle, but an overpowering bitterness quenches the experience somewhat.

A creamy mouthfeel with small, soft bubbles.

Served out of a 22oz bomber bottle into a hotel plastic cup. Served cold.

A-murky and dark burnt orange body and a somewhat sandy head

S-very assertive grain smell, bready and a light hop scent

T-sweet, very alcoholic, piney hop finish.

M-medium

D-very much a sipping beer. Great beer for grainiacs. Would recommend taking this one slow.

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%

Enjoyed a bomber (22 oz) at Union Jack Pub and Restaurant in historic downtown Winchester. Thank goodness our founding fathers didn't have this or we'd never have chased those pesky Redcoats away. Back to the matters at hand, though. I did, however opt out on the 100 oz bottle that our waiter offered with much despair, and settled for the bomber and a pint glass. Had I know beforehand my brother-in-law was buying, however, I may have delved into that 2 foot tall bottle. Anyway, the beer delivered the hoppiness that I was accustomed to from a Stone Ale and had some faint fruit hints with little attention drawn to the alcohol. Poured a nice brown with a reasonable finger and one half of head. It tasted a tad heavy but not so much as to make it akin to a stout. A very drinkable beer but had I ordered one more bomber I would have surely tripped on the cobblestone and felt drinkers remorse in the morn. I would have to say it was much lighter than the shepherd's pie that accompanied it.

4.41/5  rDev +3.5%

2007 Vintage poured into a Snifter

A crystal clear copper brown with warm red hues; a full light tan head and copious lacing. In a word, stunning.

Sweet barley aroma, rich caramel grain sweetness. No noticeable hop aroma and a small boiled vegetable scent.

Assertive hop bitterness remains after aging, however hop flavor is no where to be found. Tastes of toast, raisins, and caramel , are quickly turned upside down by a bitter wave of hop bitterness. Alcohol burn is both noticeable and pleasantly mellow at the end, while a smooth lingering bitterness is all but harsh.

Medium/high carbonation, slightly oily, definitely mouthcoating. Full bodied character and good weight.

Highly sippable for thar style. Not harsh. Overall mellow and delicious.

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance is similar to a barlywine; deep ruby color, good clarity, and a rocky, tan head.

The aroma has a subtle complexity, with notes of orange and warm sugar. The aroma of barley is so strong that it reminds me of visits to the local brewery. Very warm.

Taste is smoother than I expected, given the name. Very malty, but the hops balance it out pretty well. Rests heavy on the palate, with a tangy aftertaste and a touch of brown sugar.

Mouthfeel is chewy. Drinkable for the gravity, though.

3.67/5  rDev -13.8%

Pours a very cloudy dark amber with a light head. Seems to be rather carbonated. I get a fruity aroma off the beer...maybe cherries? Can't place it. Tastes rather hoppy and alcoholic with fruit oozing through as well. I don't want to hold it in my mouth long due to the alcohol getting a little overpowering. Because of that aforementioned alcohol, its not very drinkable...one bomber of this should be all for the night. Its a nice beer, but I only think I'll get it on special occasions.

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Another house favorite at 163 e Park ave. Stone never ceases to test my stomach strength.

Sweet, strong smell of hops. Not for the faint-hearted, Malty backbone that holds its way through to the bitter end. Booziness ooozes throughout the tasting. Carmalized sugar, some faint fruits, and sweet malt presence for the entire 22 bomber. Try it, just dont buy a case and expect you and 2 others to drink it all in one week!

I respect this beer, appreciate this beer, and love everything about it with the exception of its drinkability. This is a beer that I would want a small serving of in a snifter and thats it. Too overpowering and harsh to drink alot of. Don't get me wrong, the flavors are amazing and it is very wonderful to throw back, but in very small doses. This is a rare breed of bare that I love to enjoy, but few and far between.

3.73/5  rDev -12.4%

2008 bottle (1-2 yrs old)
Probably should have saved it longer, but when you need a beer you need a beer.

S: Caramel, toffee, crackers, grassy hops

A: Amber/brown w/light tan head. Decent lace but head dissipates quickly.

T: caramel, sweet malt mostly, mild booziness from mid to end of mouth. Some hops at the end, leaving a lasting bitter grassy finish.

M/D: Full good mouthfeel. Fairly sweet balanced by the hops. Pretty drinkable for abv.

Overall: This was ok. I remember it being better. With so much malt I almost wonder if the underlying style would be an imperial amber type. Come to think of it... it does resemble their Levitation amber somewhat.
I think I opened this bottle at the wrong time. Still a solid assertive yet drinkable beverage.

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

Reddish brown color with a light tan head which recedes quickly. Smells of sweet caramel malt, booze, also some subdued hops. The taste is dominated by the malt which surprises me, but it makes no difference. Very good.

Full bodied, sweet with a somewhat bitter aftertaste, as the hops make their presence known. Decent carbonation, and it finishes dry. A nice drinkable brew.

3.98/5  rDev -6.6%

Split two 22oz bombers with a buddy, using a duvel glass. Pours a very dark red thats slightly clear. Decent amount of foam forming at the top of the glass, and lots of lacing on the sides. The very first sip has that alc% grabbing attention, but then it switches into a smooth malty dark fruit taste. Very subtle and mellow flavour. So I think these two bottles have matured a bit since bottling last year. Very decent beer overall, wouldn't say its anything special though. Very easy to drink considering the 10.5%. Not bad.

4.23/5  rDev -0.7%

This beer is of special character. It is good and it knows it. A bit of a strong smoked fruity bite to it mellowing into a nice hearty roll down your throat smile. Pours dark brown with an offwhite head. It feels so good sliding down to the belly.wow.

4.17/5  rDev -2.1%

C. Pretty Clear
H. Dark Red
N. Sweet almost like candy then a nice hint of hops lingering around there

Well, this was a beer that I highly anticipated ever since I heard that it was coming out down here this year. All I could think was Stone is making their version of Double Dead Guy (one of my favorites). Well this is probably the fifth time I have sat and drank this beer, but the first time I have actually written while drinking. I love this beer, but it seems like every time I drink it I get something new from it. The inconsistency brings me back every time for an additional sip. Now with that said I think I was pretty wrong in assuming that it was like Double Dead. This beer starts out with a perfect harmony of malt and hops then leaves a bastard of a lingering bitterness on your tongue. I love it. Stone did make this bad boy ready to cellar, and I have had one in that state since November. One of the good things I love about all stone beers is that they never let you down. This is a great beer from a great brewery. Pick it up if you can still find a bottle lying around! Worth a few tries!
Score; 4.3453

3.96/5  rDev -7%

Let's see if I can write this review before I finish the bottle.

Been eying it in stores for awhile and finally decided to pick one up, along with Stone's 09.09.09 Vertical Epic (after having last year's)... anyway back to the Double Bastard.

Poured to go with a steak and gratin potatoes that I had just made.

A - Pours a deep copper red with a fluffy pale tan head that sat about a half inch over the beer but dissipated pretty quickyl. Like a blazing fireplace, looks warm and inviting.

S - Smells sweet, toasty. The 10.5% ABV definitely hits your nose but not so much that it's offensive. a bit of pine hops and fruity notes.

T - A little harsh up front, with bitter hops pushing through. Finishes sweet. Delicious caramel malts on the after tastes.

M - Heavy, almost cough-syrup consistency with light carbonation. Not offensive, but not what I would call pleasant.

D - I gave drinkability an Average score because I'd probably turn down a second serving without some water or a beer with a less powerful taste/mouthfeel in between. Definitely not a session beer (alcohol content notwithstanding), but not a struggle to get through a glass.

This bottle will definitely go in my collection and I may get another one down the line to age properly in a cellar.

4.6/5  rDev +8%

My 100th review!

A: Pours a hazy mahogany with an off white head and great lacing. Excellent head retention as well.

S: Very boozy with major citrus and pine hops, along with a hint of fruit.

T: There is so much going on here. First a caramel malt flavor matched with booze and huge presence of hops. The after taste is somewhat fruity and bitter-caramel-like.

M: Heavy and syrupy, yet really smooth. Very boozy, in a good way.

D: Fantastic, but, man, watch out for the ABV.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

The Bastard was one of my first craft loves, as is true with many of us, and so I figured it was finally time to try the big brother. The beer pours a deep reddish brown. Very little head, which was disappointing, though there was some lacing.

The smell was sharp hops, dark fruit, and booze. The combination of the three is a very alluring herbal cocktail. The taste is quite complicated. Paradoxically, Double Bastard is less of a kick in the face than the Arrogant one. The booze is more pronounced, true, but the other flavors are more subdued. It's very clean and bitter and delicious.

I definitely need to find a bottle with a few years on it. This new bottle was so smooth that I can't imagine how sublime a sipper an aged version would be. Nobody would mistake this for a everyday beer, but it's an excellent occasional sipper.

Dark mahogany pour, ruby highlights, and a small dense tan head. Smells of dark fruit, citrus, caramel malt, a hint of spice, and a little alcohol. Very complex flavor with lots of intermingling of figs, caramel and and in your face hop bitterness. Nice full body but slightly sticky.

3.91/5  rDev -8.2%

Nicely crafted ale, very smooth, maybe too smooth...

Presentation: 22 Oz bottle. Iconic demon gargoyle with a jar of beer in hand, label reflected into a double image with the name of the brew. Perfunctory long and over the top narrative on the back, somewhat tongue-in-cheek rambling playing on the notion of arrogance and how most will not understand the brew and are not prepared for it. Does show bottling date, (2009 release) and lacks any other info other than Alc. by Vol. (10.5%). Poured into a tulip glass.

A - Amber brown pour with a generous creamy head, good retention and some nice lacing.

S - Smell is not particularly assertive, It has a nice balance of fruity hints over faint sweet caramel malt notes with a hoppy memory.

T - Sweet malty flavor with some emerging fruity touches, a softly emerging bite comes towards the end to hold it.

M - Fine carbonation on a medium to slightly full body beer. Creamy and smooth feel, with a hoppy texture note at the end.

D - Nicely drinkable, although for such a big brew it feels a tad too smooth, a bit too generic actually...

Notes: Fairly different from the Arrogant Bastard, in particular in how this one is rather smooth, subdued, and almost unassuming for such a boozy brew. Likable but it did not do much for me, at least not on this tasting. Not worthy again... At first I really thought that it was served too cold but letting it warm up left it under the same impression for me. I´m checking other people´s notes and I am thinking if I had a strange mellowed out or late bottle? Batch is from 09, it was not skunked and came from a typically very reliable place so...

3.55/5  rDev -16.7%

2009 bottle, Duvel snifter

A: Not much of a head, quickly dissipated into some whispy foam. Pours a deep, dark amber color...almost cherry red in spots, actually.

S: Nose is full of bitter hops, some caramel malts, and alot of alcohol.

T: Hops bite first here but without much character except straight up bitterness. Alot of bready and toffee like malts as well, but that bitterness never lets go until long after the sip. Im also getting some wood, definite oak character here. This is a pretty sweet beer, almost cloying as it warms.

Something I find odd.... there is much less alcohol in the taste than the nose alluded to, even as the glass warms. There is some warming though, which isa good thing.

M: Thick, somewhat cloying if you arent in the mood. Fits the style so cant really complain too much. Little carbination.

D: Drinkability suffers given the ABV, mouthfeel, and sweetness of this brew. One bottle is enough for two id say.

This is a solid brew by Stone but not the best. It is, however, more enjoyable than the "regular" Arrogant Bastard offering.

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%

A: Thick 2 finger cream colored head that lingers quite nicely. Very rich deep dark brown coloring. Very sticky lacing.

S: More hops up front than I recall before and this bottle is 4 months old already. I don't recall smelling any hops in last years batch. A very nice sweet bitterness going on. Having a hard time picking apart the smells here. I am mostly going with bready.

T: Nice bitter maltiness. I swear my palate has really changed. Last one I got was same batch and I detected very minimal hops this and last year. It isn't as in your face as AB. This beer has a very smooth taste. I couldn't even tell you what flavors are going on here. Bready, hoppy and malty. So smooth. Borderlines a stout flavor. Impossible to not love the taste.

M: Spot on! It is so rich, smooth, creamy and decadent on the palate. Carbonation is super mellow. This beer has the best mouthfeel of any I have ever tasted. I never thought mouthfeel was a worthy category til now. I usually just say good carbonation but damn this is nice!

D: It is also the easiest drinking beer I can think of in a long time. I usually don't care for malty beers unless it is a RIS. But this one takes the cake. Still gotta knock off a few due to how strong it is.

This beer never fails to impress the hell out of me. Why not just replace AB with this? I was kind of in a bad mood til I cracked this one open tonight. Now all my annoyances are drifting away. It is one of the most well rounded, balanced, tastiest and easiest drinking beers around.

4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

Dark rich copper with red/amber highlights. Big smooth creamy tanned head with good retention. Organic arms of lace.

Herbal and piney, with a bit of citrus. medicinal cherry, nutty, smokey and roasty.

Earthy and roasty, sweet and sticky, caramel and brown sugar, medicinal cherry and bourbon, spicy herbal and pine, a tough of bitter grapefruit. A brutal bitter aftertaste with a booze blast.

Big sticky, and chewy, goes down smooth, dry, and full bodied.

Big sticky bitter boozey brew. Not for wussies. Drinks pretty well for 10%.

4.27/5  rDev +0.2%

2009 release. Couldn't wait.
A - This poured an inviting ruby red color. Great, consistent lacing. The head, about an inch-worth, had beige color with with slight reddish/caramel tint. A few tiny, cascading bubbles.

S - Smelled like a Belgian, but was notably sweet, with bready malts. There were also large banana-bread notes.

T - Big malts malts up-frint. on the sweet side with notes of raisins, bread, belgian funk, vanilla, candied fruit. A strong, piney hop bitterness stays with you on the finish. despite that some sweetness still competes against the bitter hops in the finish.

M - Definitely a sipper, smooth. Hops coat the mouth. Sticky as it warms. medium-bodied, but rich.

O - This deserves all the accolades it gets. I should have bought two, so I could age one for later. If you see it, grab it.

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%

22oz bottle, 2007 version, enjoyed for the mere price of 25 Canadian ducats at the one-time only Stone event at Cafe Volo in Toronto.

This beer pours a mostly clear, shiny dark ruby amber hue, with a relatively thin cap of weakly foamy and bubbly beige head, which leaves some wispy, calving iceberg lace around the glass as it evenly subsides.

It smells of warm caramel, toffee pudding, fig, date, and raisin fruitiness, rather active leafy, piney hops, a soft citrus rind bitterness, and a menthol-friendly booziness. The taste is sweet caramel malt, sugary toffee, stewed raisins, muddled black orchard fruit, a growing earthy mustiness, and some isolated, but welcome all the same citrus and pine hop astringencies coming on a bit later in the game.

The carbonation is quite mild, but at least showing up to be counted for its supportive frothiness, the body medium-heavy in weight, thick, viscous, and fairly smooth, with a touch of airy creaminess as it warms. It finishes with a thankfully growing hoppiness to quell the steadily overbearing and dense malt, while the resident lofty alcohol remains scarily well-hidden.

It's been a few years since I've had the regular Arrogant Bastard (those words don't seem to mesh all that well together, do they), but this sure is reminiscent of that beer, as a beefed up, but consistent, and challenging older brother. I can see that this otherwise bucolic Sunday afternoon is going to get a bit larry, as I eventually try to suss out a suitable Supa Bowl viewing spot.

Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.