Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
BeTheBall

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

This is a brand new 2007 bomber.

Poured in to a snifter, hard at the end and got a nice two finger head. Color was translucent amber or semi-brown. Pretty nice lacing on the glass as the level went down.

Smell was of hops, but not much citrus as I expected, or as in an IPA or DIPA. Very inviting hoppy almost bitter smell.

Taste had hops and bitterness up front, but followed quickly by a nice malt balance and smoothness. This is very easy to drink for the hop fan, easier than IPA's in many ways because of the balance of hops and malt. Mouthfeel was good, but not exceptional.

I loved this, and would spend the $ again in a hearbeat to drink more. Wish this was around all year, but am glad that it just came out and more can be had.

12-13-2007 16:24:34 | More by BeTheBall
akorsak

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

This is an '05 vintage served on-tap at the Blind Tiger's 12/12/12/12 Stone event.

A: The ale has an amber color, showing off red highlights that add a nice splash of color. Little head resulted from the pour but there is a clear stream of carbonation in the glass.

S: The nose is malty thick, having lost a majority of the bitter hops that define Double Bastard. Aging has done wonders on this beast, softening it significantly.

T: As the nose hinted, this beer has become a solid barleywine, with the hops mellowing out significantly and allowing the malts to come through. A sip reveals a whole mouthfeel of grain, thick in its strength. The malt flavors are as strong as ever but they are more noticeable because the hops have receded significantly. While Double Bastard burns the tastebuds when fresh, with two years under its belt it has softened and smoothed itself out. This is a good sippin' beer for in front of a fireplace on a cold night.

M: The mouthfeel has come around 180 degrees, from a hop bomb to a malt bomb. That change makes for a really good, complex drink.

D: This was my 4th offering at 12/12/12/12. I would gladly have tried any of the four again. I was especially fond of the smoothness that this beer picked up. If you've got a DB from '05, let it sit a bit longer and really enjoy it.

12-13-2007 14:18:46 | More by akorsak
hellcatsjg

3.33/5  rDev -22%

Appearance: Pours a deep amber with almost no head whatsoever. Nothing to see here.

Smell: Piney hops in the front with a slight caramel sweetness along with a good amount of alcohol. Smells very inviting, until....

Taste: Piney hops....overly bitter piney hops. That is all you get. There is no balancing sweetness, no hoppy complexity. Nothing but overly bitter piney hops. I really enjoy the Arrogant Bastard ale, but this is definitely a step backwards.

Mouthfeel: Coats the mouth a bit too much with the too bitter flavor of the beer. A less than enjoyable flavor is something you don't want sticking around for such a long time.

Drinkability: This is probably the lowest review that I have given such a highly rated beer. I was disappointed by the one dimensional taste and the high ABV makes it hard to enjoy too much. Stick with the Arrogant Bastard Ale, this is not an improvement as far as I am concerned.

12-13-2007 05:42:41 | More by hellcatsjg
BrewMonkey

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

Been looking for this for about a year and a half and finally got a case of the '07 variety.

Pours dark amber, almost brown with red highlights, not terribly clear but not cloudy either. Decent light tan to white head that went away faster than the standard ABA.

Aroma kicks with maltiness. Candy maltiness from someone else's review is a good way to put it. Caramel, toffee and ever so slight breadiness in the malt profile. A strange citrus/melon combo to the hop aroma which overall is pretty subdued. Some alcohol heat is noticable on the nose. I thought it smelled very nice, though my wife thought it smelled like cherry cough syrup.

Initial taste of sweet malt and caramel is pretty quickly though not completely supplanted by a difinitive hop bitterness. This beer is not exactly what I would call effervescent, but its not anywhere near syrupy for such a high ABV. It actually finishes suprisingly smooth.

I want to give this one another shot at which point I'll edit this review. Overall I thought it was quite good and worth the wait, but I want to make sure that anticipation is not skewing my perception.

12-11-2007 00:14:22 | More by BrewMonkey
dreadnatty08

District of Columbia

4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours a dark ruby color, mostly translucent with a full inch of light brown head. Unlike aromas from AB, this one gives off much more malty notes, fruity caramel, estery plums and raisins. Only in the back are resiny hops evident and even then, the candy maltiness reigns. On the palate, it becomes more evident that this should fall into the double IPA catagory as the hops, in their freshness balance quite well with the syrupy malts. Finishes pretty sweet with crystal malts mixing well with darker, perhaps chocolate malts. It really just is a supremely balanced beer for how big it is. I wouldn't put any age on this one, it's like a fresh Bigfoot. How enjoyable this beer is, I'm glad to finally try it.

12-09-2007 18:29:38 | More by dreadnatty08
Kendo

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

A: 2007 bomber, poured into a Stone Double Bastard glass -- it's kind of like a combination snifter and highball glass; let's call it a small, curved highball glass. . . . Body is dark brown with a small ivory head that disappears pretty quickly. Some visible bubbles slowly rise. No lacing left behind.

S: Mmmm. Great combination of sweet, caramel malt, citrusy and floral hops and booze.

T: First impression: it finishes hot. After a couple sips adjusts my palate to that heat, I can figure out what else is going on. In a word: balance. There's brown sugar and caramel malt early, followed by fruity wet hops. Hot alcohol heat at the back end of the sip and on the way down the gulley. Bitterness lingers and - "oddly enough," I wrote -- the hops actually seem more pronounced as it warms (I think it's because it takes a little while to adjust the tastebuds to the alcohol heat). Reminds me at times of a Barleywine or even a DIPA in both taste and aroma.

M: Medium-to-heavy in heft. Pretty creamy, but with a bit of a bite to it.

D: Good. It's definitely a sipper (hence the style of Stone's official DB glass), but a tasty one.

Notes: This was a fresh bottle. I've done a 3 year vertical tasting in the past and seem to recall that the Double Bastard ages well. I've got a 2004 in my cellar and now a couple more of the 2007 bottles, so I'll report back some day on how the DB does after various amounts of time spent in the cellar. . . .

12-07-2007 21:21:18 | More by Kendo
wheelinshirt

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

I've been lusting after this one for a bit, saw it at Capone's in norristown and decided i have to have it ($8 price tag be damned). Been in my fridge for a week or two, finally cracked it open.

22 oz bomber, shared with no one (a bit of a mistake, share with two or three and have some other beers on hand). Color is deep mahogony, tight head that recedes to a collar and leaves some lacing.

Smell is mostly malt and booze with a good hop kick, basically what you would expect from stone. Taste is similar, sweet malts and american hops with a lot of booze. Very good, if a bit repetitive. Not blown away, but it is good.

Mouthfeel is medium, maybe medium heavy, some good carbonation lightening up the body and making it drinkable. I guess this beer is kind of like an american barleywine but lighter in character, thereby more drinkable. I like it, but a 22 oz bomber by oneself is a bit much, a bit repetitive and a bit expensive. Probably won't return to this. There are other beers that i like more and cost less.

12-07-2007 05:43:39 | More by wheelinshirt
Tolann

Colorado

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

I've been waiting for this one for a while. I was really taken back by the Arrogant Bastard.

Here we go!

A - Ruby mahogany with a dense head not too thick and fades quickly

S - Wow sweet hops. Carmel and malt. Fruity something or another. Maybe grapefruit or something.

T - Hop kick in the back of the throat first. Caramelly malt and fruity sweetness on the tongue.

M - Lively and medium/light body. Warms your mouth after the sip. Almost sits in your chest feeling roasty. The sip seems to coat your mouth with warm sweet hops and caramel. Makes me burpy tho. LOL

D - I'm already thinking about buying another bottle. Very good beer and very enjoyable. The sweetness and hoppyness go well together. I'm really liking this beer. Another great beer from Stone!

YUM!

12-07-2007 03:26:33 | More by Tolann
msubulldog25

Oregon

4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

From the 2007 Release; a 22 oz. bottle, poured to a snifter. For all the Stone beer I've ever tried, this could be the first I've had of the Double Bastard. Oh, the humor in that silk-screened diatribe on the label...

A: Clear, ruddy mahogany. Equivalent of the bottle's brownness and clarity, tinged with a deeper reddish glow. Hardly any head, only a scattering of film whispers and a slim ring of cream. Ominously still, with just the narrowest streams of tiny carbonation...from a distance, could be bourbon in that snifter just as easily as ale. Sliding bits of off-white lace gently fade into the glass.

S: Smells of over-the-top sweetness, hugely malty with caramel and candy. There's some dark fruit in there, syrupy cherry and raisin and a hint of spice. And not all the aromas are big malts; there's a rich, herbally grassy hop nose, too.

T: Sugared malts for certain, but plenty of citrus-orange/tangerine hopping. Lots of caramel, a little on the burnt side with subtle nuttiness. There's a remnant of barrel-like woodiness and a bittering of citrus pith.

M: Big and chewy, warm and thickening, layers of hops and sticky malt on the tongue draw in the cheeks. For a 10% abv beer, this has a pleasing balance and has a heat that's quite subtle. Creamy and smooth, with a carbonation that melts away like butter. Not the cloyingly sweet mouthfeel I've experienced before with Stone's big beers.

D: Big, bold & flavorful...but a sipper that I couldn't finish in one sitting. Hops are intense, sweet malts even moreso - after a half-bottle the flavors become oppressive on the tongue. Still, awfully good - a 'must try' for the big beer enthusiast.

12-06-2007 00:29:01 | More by msubulldog25
John_M

Oregon

3.65/5  rDev -14.5%

Perhaps I would have enjoyed this beer more if I hadn't had it right after the 10th Anniversary DIPA. For that matter, I wonder if Stone has tweaked the recipe over the years, as I've found this beer far more appealing in the past then I did at Frisco's last night.

The beer pours a darkish amber color with very good head retention and lacing. The beer looks quite impressive. On the nose I get sweet malt, cider and roasted nuts. Again, this beer smells very impressive, although the high abv. is noticeable even on the nose. On the palate the beer is sweet, rich and very alcholic, but with a drying hop burn in the finish. The beer is impressive, but frankly I don't feel as if the high abv. blends in all that well with the very sweet malt and hoppiness. I found the beer somewhat tiring on the palate, with this beer coming across as a sweet, but then ultimately very hoppy, barleywine.

The beer is very warming and, while impressive, is just not all that enjoyable. In the same style I much prefer the Bigfoot, where the sweet malt has been dialed down a tad. A good beer, but not what I would call terrific.

12-05-2007 17:42:41 | More by John_M
boxofepilepsy

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

cool bomber poured into pint glass. appearance is a reddish amber, which completely threw off my expectations of the beer as a double IPA. smell is extremely floral. liquid hops. taste is impressively smooth despite the immense complexity of the hops, which pair nicely with the sweet malty base. it's certainly a big beer.

12-05-2007 04:12:01 | More by boxofepilepsy
warmstorage

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

On tap at Local Dough, Tucson, Arizona, $5 for a pint.(!!!)

Appearance: deep hazy reddish to brown, limited light tan head that leaves significant lacing.

Aroma: sweet and caramel, but somewhat limited.

Taste: caramel, distinct hints of smoke, roast, sweet and thick. Hops only come through in the finish/aftertaste, and then are present as a basic, earthy bitterness, but not terribly distinct. Delicious to drink, and easy to drink and enjoy, but not the most dynamic or complex beer: it's really about malt sweetness and malt body.

Mouth: thick, full, sweet, and delicious. Relatively little alcohol burn given the ABV.

Overall: A totally different beer than what I've had in the bottle. If the bomber I have in the fridge at home is significantly different, I'll post another review of it.

12-05-2007 01:24:05 | More by warmstorage
Traquairlover

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

22-oz bottle poured into a pint glass (with a bit left for later).

A = Deep reddish brown, good clarity, good thick, tan head consisting of various sized bubbles, leaves good lacing.

S = Rich smell of earth, caramel, roasted malt, hops, sweet floral notes. Very complex, but I wish the scent were stronger. It's there but a little lowkey.

T = Awesome beer. It has very good balance, a rich malty flavor at the start, but then some good hops bitterness appears and carries over into a long finish. Reminds me more of an English Old Ale, than most American brews. Very complex tastes, nuts, cream, bananas, I could go on and on, but it boils down to an exceptional taste.

M = Heavy mouthfeel. This is a substantive beer (like liquid bread). Pleasant light carbonation, giving it a frothy feel when you swallow.

D = The high ABV is the only reason I give this a 4 instead of a 4.5. I love this beer and would happily drink it anytime and would attempt to drink it all night if I could have back about 20 years to relive my misspent youth.

Edit: I cellared several of these and have just had it at one year. The hops floral flavors have definitely faded but the bitterness is still there. The malt has become creamier and I think I prefer it with a year on it. Otherwise just about all of my notes from last year's fresh bottle still apply. Can't wait to see how it is at 2 years.

12-04-2007 03:46:22 | More by Traquairlover
auxiliary

Rhode Island

3.93/5  rDev -8%

appearance - Nice reddish color, off whote foamy head that stood around.

smell - Sweet smells here of malt and fruits. Some alcohol present too.

taste - Sweet taste here of fruits and then finished off with a hoppy taste.

mouthfeel - Full body.

drinkability - Had this beer on tap, very good bew. Should come out more often instead of winter.

12-03-2007 21:58:29 | More by auxiliary
calinative68

Washington

2007 Release!
#13 that I bought; a case full in the cellar and 1 to be enjoyed! I have always thought that Double Bastard has been easier to drink than Arrogant Bastard. Mainly because of the dominant maltiness that takes the edge off the abundant hops.
Shared this bottle with my neighbor, poured into imperial pint glass.
A - Murkey ruby red with a frothy beige head.
S - Sweet malt with a hint of brown sugar?
T - Sweet malt again. This year's edition doesn't seem as hoppy to me as in the past. Warm alcohol on the end with slight hop.
M - Cloyingly sweet, easy to drink. I guess you would't want to drink too many in a night, because I'm only half way though this bottle and have a buzz!
D - Actually, pleasant and easy to drink. Very seductive to the palate. At 10 ABV, just not too many!
This wonderful brew is #2 on my favorite list! I have a feeling that my case won't last too long!
Go get as much as you can! You can't go wrong!

12-03-2007 04:30:31 | More by calinative68
Tawnos

Washington

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours a ruby red with a thick head that dissipates into a light coat of froth. As the carbonation struggles to the surface, I begin to wonder what I'm in for.

I inhale a whiff and am in another place. Sweet and strong, this smells like something to be reckoned with. But that's just the start.

The taste... Oh, the taste. The malty sweetness cuts the hop oils, and both linger on the palette, warming the body and bringing a smile to the soul.

You can't drink it all night, but for the time the bottle lasts, it's heaven (or hell) in a glass. Double bastard is everything arrogant bastard wishes it could be.

12-03-2007 04:14:57 | More by Tawnos
malty

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

2007 release 22 oz. bomber.

Pours a brilliantly clear crimson amber with a khaki colored 1/2" head. Large sized bubbles strangely clinging to most of the inside surface area of the glass - then steadily releasing to move upward - reminds me of what soda looks like. After this little phenomenon is complete, the head reduces to a steady 1/4". Some lacing, but it's thick and chunky.

The scents are very meaty and malty; caramel, juicy figs all mixed with an arousing bright scent of hops and a bit of alcohol. Fresh macerated dark fruits, almost like compote. Toasty dark malts that dance throughout this fruity mosh pit.

My tongue was hit with warm flavors of the aforementioned flavors - reminiscent of a heavy down pillow with a ton of momentum behind it being catapulted to my face. It kinda jumbles your noggin' but doesn't really hurt. A little sweet and syrupy malt presence with a regime of hops blowing up everything in its path. This son of a gun doesn't take any prisoners when it comes to showing up to the party. There's some spiciness in the background with a nice dryness and alcohol warmth lining the inside of my cheeks.

Mouthfeel is quite perfect. Creamy, perfect amount of fine and soft carbonation, prevent this monster from lying dormant. Long flavorful, spicy warm finish. Full body beauty at it's best.

Drinkability is quite dangerous. I'm halfway through this bomber and my mind's not drifting to another offering - it's got my full attention.

This is the very first time I've tried this ale and it definitely lives up to its infamous lore. Man, this baby's got some moxy and gumption - this is no lie. Very full tilt and in a strange way, very balanced and somewhat graceful. This ale sure dishes out some tuff love; sit down, mind your manners, look me in the eye when I'm talking to you and raise your hand when you have a question. Thank you sir, may I have another? <Ouch!>

12-02-2007 23:10:58 | More by malty
Murchmac

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

A bomber of this year's double bastard will end better than the last time I drank it in 2002 which ended in coffee mugs being thrown at neighbors houses.

This beer pours a dark ruby brown with some orange highlights. Not much of a head. thin lacing on the outside.

I have a stuffed nose so I cant smell much. But what I do smell is hops, sweet malts, and not much alcohol for being 10%

This beer is better than what I remembered and a deeper taste than the arrogant bastard. Piney stingy, hops, some alcohol, good malt taste, I think this beer is a little hot right now, age this puppy and you'll get a lot more flavors out of this predominantly malty brew.

Excellent beer. If you have one, you like to gamble and it will pay off.

12-02-2007 07:46:10 | More by Murchmac
bosco7

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Dark brown with some red highlights. Milky white head. Pretty.

Cherry, prune, grapefruit, some booze, orange juice, coffee, grass clippings, some chocolate, and caramel in the nose.

Huge malt presence upfront: toffee, caramel, almond, and brown sugar. Fruit in the middle from hops as well as esters. Grapefruit dominates but cherry and plum flavors are in there as well. Finishes with some chocolate, roasted flavors and with plenty of bitterness. Complex.

Silky mouthfeel that seems to dance on the tongue. Chewy. I love this beer and find it an excellent winter companion. Warming yet refreshing. Aggressively beautiful. Highly recommended.

12-02-2007 02:42:41 | More by bosco7
Trueant1

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours a deep brown/red color. Clear, but some sediment at the bottom. Off white average head that leaves incredible coating of the side of the glass. This is usually an indication of a very malty beer.

SMells incredible. Where is the 10%abv?. Smells bisquity, sweet, spice, even some mild chocolate malts. Yiest smell. Very mellow smell for a "double". But the smells are memorable.

The taste is a surprise from the smell. I smelled no hops. I taste heavy heavy heavy hops. Pine hops with all the oily hop bitterness of a dipa. But, this brew has intense sugars to balance!!! Almost syrupy sweetness. But the bitterness balances any over malt sweetness. Brilliant! I have spices from this brew coming out my nose!!!! Clearing my nostrals!!!! WOW! Ohhhh...ok...there is the alcohol! Almost sips like a barly wine.

Is this brew an DIPA???? Is this brew a barly wine??? Is this brew a Brown ale??? Is this brew a belgem????

WHat is it??? Holy beer world....it is all of these things! ALl blended by the Stone brew makers!

I will call it a kick ass beer!!!

12-02-2007 01:10:46 | More by Trueant1
IPALOVER

Colorado

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

To quote from the bomber of Double Bastard Ale-- "Ye shall know the bastard, and the bastard shall set you free." Indeed!

I'm a fan of Stone's beers, since they are usually on the well-hopped side. Double Bastard Ale certainly fits the bill on hops, and malt as well.

I poured most of my bomber into a large 22 oz glass; surprised that it wasn't as "heady" as I remembered from last year. The beer left no lace at all, and actually looked "flat" about half-way through. I'm attributing this to the high ABV-- the beer wasn't flat at all, just appeared that way.

Nicely hopped, great malt finish-- love this brew. Of course, one bomber is plenty for one evening!

Stone, keep brewing your awesome beers!

12-01-2007 05:50:26 | More by IPALOVER
cordelia3310

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

A: Deep amber color with a tan head. Some lacing around the glass.

S: Very hoppy. Lots of citrus with a hint of apple.

T: Upfront hop bitterness. Lots of citrus flavors mix well with a very alcoholic bite. Finishes somewhat sweet.

M: Thick and syrupy.

D: A delicious beer but drinkability is not high. A 10% brew in a 22 oz bomber certainly packs a punch. Overall however, highly recommended.

11-30-2007 17:22:12 | More by cordelia3310
pershan

Maryland

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Had this beer on-tap at Frisco Grille in Columbia, MD

A: Amber color, thin but fairly creamy white head. Nice lacing on inside of glass after drinking.

S: Slight hop aroma (citrus and apple components).

T: Initial sweetness (reminded me a bit of sour apple), then the hop bitterness and alcoholic warmness hits you all at once, settling into a fairly bitter aftertaste. Stone must have used a truckload of bittering hops - as a hop-head it was awesome.

M: Malt sweetness on the tongue that is immediately overwhelmed by the hop and alcohol components.

D: A very good beer, especially if you like lots of hops and tend toward the higher gravity brews, as I do. If not, this will probably be too bitter for you.

11-30-2007 14:37:46 | More by pershan
CDBeerDisappear

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Dark amber brown with a smallish head that dissipates to a layer of fine bubbled foam. Smells malty and sweet with some hint of pine. Massive taste with tons of malty caramel sweetness and hoppy undertones. A very pleasant finish. Feels thick and viscous in the mouth with enough carbonation to create a great feel. I can see why this is such a highly rated beer. It deserves all the accolades it receives.

11-30-2007 00:26:15 | More by CDBeerDisappear
rallison

4.4/5  rDev +3%

2006 Vintage - growler filled tonight so nice and fresh (so to speak..)!

A: Cloudy reddish dark amber color with a 1 finger white head that mostly dies.

S: Caramel and toffee. Some hops, but the smell is mostly dominated by the malt.

T: Delicious. Strong caramel/toffee malt base is nicely complemented by mostly piny hops. This beer achieves much better balance with some age on it. Right here, this is nice. My favorite is still probably around 5 years old, but give it at least a year and you will be happy. Too raw fresh in my opinion (and this coming from someone who quite enjoys Sam Adams Triple Bock and Dogfish Head 120 Minute). Trust me, give this a year or three to age.

M&D: Thick, rich and viscous, but still very drinkable. Nice.

Recommended. Obviously, not everyone can try this one aged for 5 years. But, I highly recommend sticking a bottle away for about 2 years. You will be rewarded with a beer that goes from an interesting, strong, but not that great beer to a strong, but balanced, integrated and mellow strong ale that deserves the rating it gets. This is one beer I've had enough of to feel confident in saying that. Prost!

11-29-2007 07:14:27 | More by rallison
Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.