Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,037 | Hads: 6,327
4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

This beer is a revelation. Tons of caramel/butterscotch, and tons of hops. If someone told me this had been barreled, I'd believe it—it's got pronounced alcohol notes, but is incredibly smooth, and there are definitely hints of what could be (but aren't actually) oak and bourbon. Incredibly solid. (300 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Tap from Maltitude. Pours cloudy amber with white head. Aroma of floral hops. Flavor of bitter hops, caramel, and more hops. Bitter hoppy finish. Very tasty. (157 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Whoa. Talk about a huge malt backbone. Here goes:

A: Dark amber - plenty of black, but plenty of red tint as well. Big head and a ton of lacing.

S: Very complex. Some piney hops, but some caramel malt as well. I expect this to be both very malty and very hoppy.

T: Piney hops give way to a ton of malt. Tons of caramel and honey sweetness. This is an absolute malt bomb with some bittering hops. I love it, but be forewarned - this beer is a malt bomb. Lots of toffee, brown sugar, caramel, honey and overall malt sweetness.

F: Thick and creamy. Very delicious.

O: A great beer. Malt totally overpowers the hops, but it's still good. (654 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +1.9%

A big buttery malt body with an aggressive grassy hop presences on the back end. Slick mouthfeel gives a great drinkability despite its strong ABV. Burnt sugar, caramel, oak, and well balance hop attack its like a hoppy wee-heavy and the king of Stone's "bastard" beers. (270 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Brown orange color with a thick beige head with good retention and leaving laces.
Aroma full of berries, plums, toasted malts, smoke and American yeast.
Flavor with notes of smoke, toasted and some roasted malts, caramels, mild coffee, dry and dark fruits, earthy hops, wood, muffled pine, run, maple syrup, resin and American yeast. Dry aftertaste with a long lasting bitterness.
Full body with appropriate carbonation. Alcohol of 11.2% abv just shows up as a flavor component.
It felt to me as a mix of Scotch ale and a Barley Wine. Very complex and hoppy. Great beer, though I prefer their regular version. Although the name is similar, they ended up to be different beers. (676 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

As good as Arrogant Bastard is, this is just a natural extension of the possibilities of that great ale.

It pours a pretty dark brown with a medium thin head (less of a head than the original). The nose is similar to the original but boozy. Duh.

The taste is a much more syrupy (malty) version of the original, and in my opinion, better balanced. All that bitter could stand some boozy sweetening and this one does just that. It makes for a huge mouth full of hops and malts. I love it.

The aftertaste is also sweet compared to the original. Naturally you can't drink this like the original, but I will (drink this bomber on top of that one). It's a great big malty experience and one I will do again (I am pretty sure this was my first time with a double bastard).

This bomber is pretty fresh, and I am not sure that I would like this better aged as I think it would get less bitter, but maybe it will settle in nicely. I will check prices and maybe pick up one to set aside. This bottle came from a four pack of different bastards that seemed very reasonably priced at $20 and included the lucky bastard (with funky spelling). (1,133 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I've really enjoyed everything I've had by Stone--a lot--except for this beer, which I've now had once several months aged, and once very fresh. I will give it credit for being a unique experience, and certainly an arrogant one (even doubly arrogant), but it's a bit like drinking watered-down caramel syrup mixed with Robitussin and ethyl alcohol. I finished it, and certainly preferred the fresh version, but it was more a chore and duty than a real pleasure. I've had bigger beers, even a couple much bigger beers, and I found them easier to drink and tastier than this one. I've also had Stone's IRS, Old Guardian, Ruin 10, which are similar, at least, in terms of their size; and enjoyed them all vastly more. Indeed, one or two of them are among my very favorites. But this one's just a little too much (of syrupy medicinal malts) for me. (851 characters)

This too is a great beer! Around Christmas time they release a 3 Litre Bottle! Once bottle is finished you can still bring it into any Stone Brewery and get it refilled! (170 characters)

Regular Arrogant Bastard I gave a 5/5 and is in my top-5 ever, but ehhh .. I just can't drink much of this stuff. Maybe proof that there can be too much of a good thing? (169 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

This beer packs a huge punch. Aroma is light and subtle, you won't get much of a nose out of it. Jam-packed with malty goodness. Strong, boozy, bold from start to finish. A heavy bomber meant for sipping, pairs well with a 1-hour cigar and a slow and steady pace. Not for the faint of heart, but a damn good place to look for those seeking out a swift kick to the palette. (372 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Yeah!!!! Awww!!! This beer just punched me in the face! Strong Ale.. It doesn't have a big time smell to it but the taste is good.. Let this beer simmer.. Take your time with it.. Very very strong.. 11% feels like 15%... Stone has always been consistent with there beers.. I'm big in IPAs but this isn't to bad... Cheers !!!! (325 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

Dark amber orange in appearance, much lighter than what I was expecting!

Smells heavily of caramel, sugar, and a hint of bourbon.

Malt bomb! Straight up booze and caramel.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin for my taste, and very dry.

Overall I actually enjoy their standard Angry Bastard more than this, but that's just my opinion. (325 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Served on tap in a 14oz glass at Heartbreakers in Chaska.

Great beer, who's 2013 edition is far better than some of the recent Enjoy bys. In a beer this strong, you sometimes worry that the alcohol content will take over the taste profile. That is definitely not the case here. (278 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

08/22/12 On tap. Thought I caught some pineapple in the aroma. Had this as part of a flight. After even a small glass my face is getting slightly separated from it's skull.

This could prove to be a dangerous relationship if someone doesn't save me from myself.

Not a big hops person, but I can make exceptions for the exceptional and this is such a one. (357 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A- Deep dark copper, minimal lacing, 1/2 inch of froth

S- Dense, wheat, barley, a little boozy

T- Complex, sweet fruit, barley, malty, still boozy

M- Full bodied, medium carbonation

O- Good beer, but like a lot from Stone, not really a favorite of mine. (257 characters)

4.14/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bought this almost a year ago (!) but the high ABV had so far kept me away from trying it. 22 oz. of 11.2% could make it difficult to crawl to bed.

Poured from the 22 oz, bomber into a Tree House tulip.

a: Clear copper with a finger-and-a-half thick offwhite head which receded to patchy and then thin even surface foam and dense lacing.

s: Slight ripe fruit.

t: Caramel malt and dark ripe fruit leavened with a good hop bite. The very high ABV (11.2%) well covered, although there is throat burn on the way down.

m: Medium to heavy,. Very smooth.

o; Just about what I had expected and hoped for. A strong ale with a lot of flavor and hop retort. (652 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow. I really liked Arrogant Bastard so I picked this up immediately. The color is very dark and the head a nice white that lasts and lasts. The smell had a lot of malt with almost a roasted smell, but also some hops and grapefruit. The taste was incredibly smooth with hints of nuts and bananas in a nice thick malt overtone. A very thick beer with a lot of amazing flavors. I would wholeheartedly recommend picking this one up. (429 characters)

4.93/5  rDev +15.7%

This is a dark beer, it has a hravy tasye but it is really good. It smells really good, and it go`s down smooth. If you age the beer for a year before opening it and drinking I. I think itmakes it taste rreally good. I know when I age these types of beer I like them a lot. I defently would recomend this beer to anyone who likes high gravity beer. I know that I will have another one pf these beers. I also am wanting to try all the other beers that they make. (461 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

pour: got a nice cloudy dark brown color with hints of red. The head on this beer was a light tan color with tight foam.

smell: on this brew was a sweetness some from the malts and some from the fruit used in this brew. Similar to a barley wine.

taste: stone went crazy on this one. Beer hits the pallet and you get a taste of everything, some hops some sweet malts some brown sugar and some berries with a little fruity feel to it.

Overalll: This is such a great brew even with the 11.20% abv still a smooth brew to drink. Yea it will mess you up but its good stuff all the way down to the bottom of the glass. Cheers!!! (626 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -14.3%

Perfect color for a strong ale... a little cloudy... looks rich... but not too dark... brown with a burnt orange tinge... head dissipated after a few minutes

Nice of the nose... hoppy... malty... caramel... a bit of citrus fruit... some musk...

On the tongue... the first sip I tasted bitter coffee that was nice and balanced...Second sip... very flavorful... nice complexity... still coffee but also burnt toffee and caramel... only complaint is that it is too bitter... the finish is all about the bitterness

It sits well in the mouth... feels active yet smooth

Overall... I like it... slightly disappointed as I was expecting a lot from this well touted ale... a bit too bitter for me... I think the "Bastard" is bitter (728 characters)

2012 VINTAGE A Year and a Half old or so....

Serving Type- Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass

Appearance- Big thick head, tons of alcohol legs, a reddish cloudy brown color

Smell- Hops, caramel malts, tons of biscuit bread notes, some roasted notes and toffee

Taste- WOW a year and a half has done alot to this beer, alot of the hops have gone to the background and more of the great malts upfront on the palate, tons of toffee, caramel and biscuit bread notes, just wow, solid beer this beer with some age on almost has a barley wine style taste to it with some age on it

Mouthfeel- Very sold, medium to thick mouthfeel, very smooth

Overall- AWESOME just an amazing beer by Stone Brewing Company I love this beer and have had it for many years but never with any age on them and I am glad I put this one away for a while just great stuff if you have never aged this beer do so you will not regret it...CHEERS (922 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +5.4%

Not sure how a "Strong Ale" compares to a regular ale or even an IPA.

It is an interesting beer for a semi-novice like me.

So let me break it down like this - its tasty and potent. When I say tasty, I mean it. Its got a nice strong taste.

It almost tastes like a Double America IPA but it does not have that malt backbone that I frequently find in the Double IPA.

Anyways, a solid beer.

Tastes great and potent.

God Bless America for its beer in the year 2014.

This is a great time to be alive in America drinking beers. (531 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

2007 VINTAGE - far cloudier than modern version..thick and dark like apple cider with minimal carbonation. 7 years in the making. Little to no head. Beer is darker than the fresh stuff. Smells and tastes way boozier too. Apples and fruit. Hops are well hidden because of this which I don't necessarily like, but it's interesting. Like 120 min but not as pungent. Intriguing. (374 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -5.2%

2012 version, aged 1.5 years.

Pours dark amber with two fingers of off-white head that leaves thick lacing. The nose is malt forward with sweet and bready malts, raisins, overripe orange, and booze. It tastes very smooth with more of the caramely, bready malts, some alcohol heat, cherries, raisins, and figs, with burnt toast and roasted malt on the finish that imparts no astringency. Hop flavors or hop bitterness are mostly missing from this aged version: if anything I get a faint citrus taste, but it pales in comparison to the malt presence. The beer has a creamy, thick mouthfeel and despite the initial taste of alcohol, it's dangerously quaffable at 11.2 percent because you get none of that alcohol at the back end. (728 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +14.8%

i really would like to review at this time but have no much to said i can said the color and smell is perfect the smell also really good but and the alcohol content>>>>>wow if you are a really good craft beer drinker and you like some good stuff.... go ahead and open a bottle.please forget about that american piss you drink everyday ok and enjoy the really good stuff....try your self!!! this a world class beer!!! (431 characters)

Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.