1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

A- Ultra dark mahogany amber with a two finger thick, creamy off white head that receeded slowly and left a creamy, sticky lacing on the sides of my glass. Sediment was visible in the bottom of the glass and the fluid shined a beautiful dark amber when put up to the light. Very nice.

S- Sweet dark fruits and a smoky oak aroma, mixed with some strong hops and a bit of alcohol tingle.

T- Strong fermented dark fruits, a bit more wood chips, and a very strong hop character in the flavor profile. This one can best be described as the bigger, stronger brother of the original AB, which was a phenomenal beer in and of itself.

M- Tingly from the strong hops and alcohol but creamy, thick and smooth in texture. This one pushes the limits of all the things that a great beer can be, and for that I am thankful to have had the opportunity to taste it.

D- Very drinkable for such a high ABV; the tingle is pleasant rather than offputting and the delicious flavor demands to be sipped on over and over again. This is an absolutely wonderful beer that is worth every penny of its somewhat expensive price point.

Lothar666, Feb 19, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

Rich, 2-finger head. Dark caramel color - looks dangerous. Translucent, not quite opaque. Light lacing on the head.

Velvety malt and balanced hops and alcohol aroma. Slightly floral hop backbone. Caramel and vanilla emerge - maybe even a little praline?

This has it all in over-abundance - malt, ops, alchohol. I say it's well-balanced only because the brute force of each of the boulder of malt, sledgehammer of alchohol and anvil of hops are pretty much equal.

The hops and their tang and bitterness tingle while the bountiful malt and alcohol coat the mouth. This stuff is positively amazing.

Drinkability? More than you probably should! Let's put it this way...about 7-8 years ago we watched a Martha Stewart show on the Food Network where she's making her signature egg nog for New Year's. The recipe looked awesome and at the end of the show she pours a mugful and with this pseudo-Satanic grin she stares into the camera and says, "Remember...one glass per person." Of course we made a batch, which turned out better than expected, ignored her admonishment and wound up pretty well $#!+-faced. Don't let this happen to you - enjoy this stuff in moderation!

IBUnit63, Feb 18, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Having enjoyed Ruination so much this past week, I decided to grab a bottle of Double Bastard from the very good selection at Hiller's in Northville before heading home. I'm more than glad that I did. It's outstanding. This is very close to perfection, a beer whose whole is greater than the sum of the collective parts.

The presentation is glorious--a finger of dense tan froth that won't quit, nestled atop cloudy brown body with cider-orange highlights--incredible. The nose is a terrific amalgam of caramel, brown sugar, and hops, with hints of fruit, as is the taste. I'm completely impressed with how well integrated the hops, sweetness, and overtures of bitterness are. Phenomenal.

The mouthfeel is certainly smooth in texture, but nicely complex with occasional percolations of grittiness that are easy to tolerate in such a smooth, tasty beer. Only the Deacon Jones head slap that this beer delivers with its very high ABV (10%) lowers this a small notch below eminently drinkable. yet don't be misled--this is still highly and deceptively drinkable, a beer requiring one to gladly set aside the keys.

Yet again I've come across a glorious, great beer that will make frequent appearances in my refrigerator. Truly outstanding, Double Bastard ranks right there with Brown Shugga as my favorite strong ales.

Gehrig, Feb 16, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

Purchased on tap in snifter.

Nice small head atop a dark amber brew.

Smell is of Carmel malts and nice roasty hops. Taste is very strong, of course, but not overbearing. Very nice creaminess and a small hints of dark fruit.

Mouth feel is filling. Slight warming, but not what could be expected from a lesser brew. I wanted another of these, but at 10% ABV, I didn't want to fill up. All in all, A really good brew that I will revisit soon.

mattster, Feb 12, 2008
4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

on tap at Papago Brewing

It came to me a burnt amber color with a nice large foamy head that laced my glass nicely.

smelled of hops and malt.. not the flowery hops i dislike so much but more of a earthy, piney hop flavor.

Taste was slightly bitter, made you notice it, but it was one of the more balanced stone offerings i have had. There was a strong enough malt backbone to balance all the flavors and make it very tasty.

It was heavy but not thick. easy to drink.

I could drink a couple of these if i hadnt been driving home.. but i did grab a growler for when i got home :)

2006 bottle on 10-28: This is not the same beer aged at all. Where did the hops go? With age this beer becomes way too sweet and heavy. This is a reminder to myself, buy this every winter, and drink up. Yes, at 10% alcohol you can age, but why? Much, much better fresh IMHO.

tayner, Feb 12, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

I dunno... I just like this, you know? I mean, really. And... I think that I'm not just being subjective. It looks very nice. It smells... So nice - sweet and bitter. It tastes... Well, it's sweet and it's bitter. A fair amount of each, I imagine. But very well balanced. If this were available all year, well, I'd drink it all year.

charlesw, Feb 12, 2008
4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

A: Burnt orange and cloudy. Didn't pour much head but who cares it was a great beer.

S: It has citrus and sweet aromas with a strong hoppy smell in there. There is also some great spices swirling in the mix.

T: Strong bitter and alcohol taste but the citrus and spices are top quality. The great part is that the taste keeps on coming and gently tapers off after several minutes.

M: Bitter in the mouth but still tingles and makes your mouth scream for more.

D: I definitely love this beer and could drink a keg of it if I could but considering the close to 10 abv I doubt I could.

Kemmerlin, Feb 04, 2008
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle courtesy of Overlord. Incredible extra thrown in.What an absolutely incredible beer this is... I think Stone is incapable of making a beer that doesn't rock and roll....

Beautiful reddish brown pour with a small head but impressive lacing.

Citrusy hoppy/dark fruity aroma wafts out of my Sierra Nevada pint glass. This smells really tasty. Both sweet and hoppy at the same time.

I love Arrogant Bastard and Oaked Arrogant Bastard, but this is a different animal. The sweet malts in this is balanced perfectly by the hoppiness in the background and a little alcohol burn to boot.

I can't get this in Tn. yet but I'm making a trip to Ky. in a day or two and I know for a fact that they have cases stacked up of this. I may blow my whole wad on this beer. Incredible...

Tilley4, Feb 02, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Cracked open another bottle of the 2007 batch and poured into my Alesmith tulip glass. Very tight head from a pretty strong carbonation with excellent lacing. Poured a deep reddish mahogany.

Aroma is an amazing blend of sweet maltiness and piney hops. Spicy alcohol and some dark fruits.

Taste is exquisite. I don't know how you could improve this. Caramel maltiness, sweet burnt sugars, pine and citric hop flavors all blending together. Alcohol is spicy and goes well with the bitterness and carbonation.

Creamy smooth mouthfeel with just enough bitterness bite. Very drinkable for something that's 10%. You just don't want it to end.

What's amazing is how mature the 2007 batch already seems. Normally I enjoy this aged about a year, but it's already fantastic. I need to pick up more of this and if you can find it you should too. I would just enjoy it fresh but I'm sure the new batch will age well, too.

kleffman, Feb 01, 2008
3.73/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Stone Double Bastard Ale review
Poured from a 22 oz. brown bomber into a Sam Adams pint glass.
A: Big layer of head, off-white in color, which appears frothy and bubbly but actually retains very well. The beer is a darkish orange caramel color, with strong amber tones as well. Some spotty lacing, with slippery rings that slowly dissolve down the sides.
S: A very pleasant mixture of citrus hops, sweet malts, and a big floral bouquet. Really not what I expected at all, but this is very nice. Pretty well-balanced and fruity/sweet/malty/hoppy all at once.
T: Citrus and floral hops, followed by some sugars that fade into a lingering bitterness rather than a sicky-sweetness. Overall, strong tastes of caramel malts, bitter citrus, and acidic/oily hops. Pretty good overall, but the aftertastes is a little odd, and there's not a strong malt backbone, which is what I expected.
M: Tingly and bitter at first, and this continues with a nice hop bite. Strong alcohol feel in the finish.
D: Not bad, I guess. Smell is great, but the taste and mouthfeel are a bit lacking. The alcohol is too noticeable, and the taste is not as complex or intriguing as I expected.

LeftyBWS, Jan 29, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

06' vintage on tap @ Sunset Grill ( I missed the 05', damnit).

Pours a nice ruby color with an off white/yellowish head. Nice retention and lacing.

Complicated smells: piney hops, malt, caramel, fruity (pineapple/grapefruit??), fruity sweetness.

Tastes much like it smells, very complex and great. Strong hops with shades of grapefruit/pineapple/other fruitiness, hops, pine, malt, caramel, brown sugar. Nice warming alcohol finish. Masks the high ABV very well.

Great feel on the tongue, just the right consistency.

I could sip this beer all night. I heat the 05' on tap was even sexier; I wish I would have sampled it.

A fantastic DIPA, I would suggest it to anyone who is a fan of the style.

Hojaminbag, Jan 28, 2008
4.78/5  rDev +11.9%

This beauty pours a huge thick head with large lacing on the glass. The nose as big aroma of caramel and brandy like qualities. The high alcohol level warms the mouth,then the syrupy malt wave controls the heat, until the blast of piney hops counter attacks the big burnt sugar,congnac flavor. All this fades into a sweet citrus finish. Pretty amazing where I found this beer, in a small quicky mart like store next to Venice beach! Gotta Love California...

athensbeermaster, Jan 26, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

A - Pours a clear copper-red. Head is yellow, thick and creamy. Retention could be a little bit better I suppose.

S - Piney, buttered popcorn, fruity, floral. Very sweet, rich aromas in this one as well - candy, toffee and caramel.

T/M - Very heavy, rich, sweet, and creamy. Lots of butter and hops and butter and hops. Extreme fruitiness and a intense bitterness that cuts through the heavy body. Aftertaste is quite bitter, but doesn't linger overly long. Booziness is surprisingly subdued (for a 10% ale) due to the hugeness of the other flavours. I'm getting flavours of apple, pine, generic rich fruit, molasses.

D - At 10% and a bomber at that, I'm not having more than one of these tonight, but certainly something I would revisit, given the opportunity. Despite being a huge beer, this is still well balanced, and isn't at all a chore to finish.

allergictomacros, Jan 23, 2008
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A nice deep amber hue with shades of brown and red. Thin yellowish head with steady carbonation in the somewhat murky brew. Fresh hops both citrus and pine. Big malts, caramelt, sugary, sweet. Some heat from the big, bold bastard of a beer. Taste follows smell and then some. Hard to pick up on everything going on here. I'd say the hop presence is as big as the regular bastard, which is pretty damn hoppy to me but the malt here is more reinforcing and provides more complexity. Grapefruit, sappy pine, biscuity malt, caramel, brown sugar, pineapple, just a few things going on. Excessively drinkable in a good and bad way. Double the bastard, double the fun!

Thanks to tayner and cburian for the hookup!

ncvbc, Jan 23, 2008
4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

My bomber poured a beautiful deep, deep red-orange with a high creamy head that leaves monster lace as it bubbles down to a thick froth.

The smell is woody with redwood and oak, and some strong caramelly malt and grainy bread. Noticeable alcohol smells warm the nose.

The taste follows the nose and is very strong, with an up front tannin dominance of wood and bitterness. It definitely becomes more complex as I drink it, a characteristic present in many 'big beers' that kind of numb the palate as you go, revealing more of the depth. It has a running smoothness in the malt with some grain and caramel tastes. The initial rounded sweetness is quickly replaced by a bitter warmth on the back end. Finishes with a sticky clinging bite that is almost chewy, with a robust aftertaste of grains, still hanging in the bitterness.

The longer I drink it, the more I like it, but given its character of overall strength in every category, it lacks some drinkable appeal.

lightindarkness, Jan 20, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a BIG thanks goes out to Vancer for sending me this bomber of 2006 stone double bastard ale.

i drank this beer out of a tremens tulip.

this beer poured a cloudy (perhaps sediment from cooling it in the rapid beverage chiller) orange-ish brown with very little and and little lacing. carbonation abounds. i should add that the beer cleared up and i didn't see any sediment in the glass, so i am not sure what that was all about, but it was inconsequential.

this beer smells of raisins and caramel. a bit of spice in the nose as well. i can detect the alcohol, which is not a bad thing.

the taste is consistent with the smell, however it becomes much more complex as it warms. i can best describe the beginning of this beer as very agressive, starting sweet and finishing bitter, however superbly balanced.

the mouthfeel is quite full with hella carbonation. makes me wonder where the head went?

i shared this with barefootbrewer and another, but i think i could drink a whole bomber by myself. highly drinkable in my opinion. quite like a barleywine. actually closer to a barleywine than the last barleywine i had, avery hog heaven.

cheers to Vancer for sending me this KILLER brew.

what a wonderful smelling beer.

deepsouth, Jan 19, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

I wasn't sober enough to really pick too much into this, but I still wanted to make a few notes from what I did get out of it.

Deep mahogany, with plenty of lacing. Smells of plums and hops; plenty of alcohol here that burns the nostrils a bit when you really try to dig into it. Taste is BIG. Hops everywhere. Earthy, tart apples. Spicy hot alcohol is in your face. They couldn't have picked a better name. This beer BEGS for aging. If I ever come across this again it is going straight to the cellar. LET THIS ONE WARM UP. It is a completely different beer at room temp.

NCBeernut, Jan 18, 2008
4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

This beer poured a cloudy brownish/orange with very little head. The aroma is deep with malty, caramel, and alcoholic characteristics quite apparent. The taste is bold and has a punch but at the same time it is has a nice balance of malt and bitterness. The mouthfeel is thick but not chewy. Alcohol is noticeable but seems appropriate. Overall, this is an impressive beer that should only be ventured into by the worthy!

barefootbrewer, Jan 18, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

Be careful with this one. It's a heavy hitter that will sneak up on you and whop you over the head if you aren't paying attention!

This beer poured a deep rich mahogany color, with a brilliant head that eventually disappated to a nice layer of bubbles covering the beer. The bubbles stuck with the beer until the bitter end, and laced the entire glass.

Big nose with lot's of Alcohol,Dank hops, and maybe some woodsy, earthy notes.

It has a very warming, and alcoholic taste. Double Bastard is certainly not as bitter as I would have suspected. Perhaps it's the high gravity muscling it's way thru my palate cutting out the hops.

This is a full bodied dank beer that is surpisingly very drinkable. May I have another?

deanhead, Jan 17, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a: This one is a clear dark caramel color. It pours with a big off-white head that lasts and lasts.

s: There is an obvious and abrasive piny hop with lemons up front. After a while some caramel and brown sugar sweetness emerge.

t: Mirrors the smell almost exactly. The hops and the malts both push for top billing creating an almost schizophrenic drinking experience.

m: The carbonation is excellent and this is certainly thick and sticky enough.

d: This is one of my favorite beers so far.

DIM, Jan 17, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

1/12/2008

On tap at Mahar's

Pours an amber. Decent head.

Not a style I normally reach for. I loved the smell. Lots of floral and citrus.

First taste made me giggle. It was more like...wth was that! I had to keep drinking to try figuring it out. It is crisp, smooth, sweet. Carbonation has it dancing on your tongue. This beer is just great fun.

This becomes a relaxing drink after the initial excitement. Maybe it is the little hop high. Maybe it is the 11%. A few pints of this can disappear rather quickly. Watch out!

LittleBreeze, Jan 14, 2008
4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

A: Pours a nice dark amber with a thin layer of foam on top. Decent lacing on the glass.

S: Grassy, citrus hops blended with a nice malty sweetness.

T: Like a punch in the face, this beer demands attention. Huge citrus and grass hops notes are blended nicely with a huge caramel malt backbone. The alcohol is well-hidden in this one.

M: Smooth, crisp, with a bit of thickness to it.

D: The Double Bastard is a scarily drinkable beer, that packs quite a bunch. Very tasty, and a great job by Stone.

YonderWanderer, Jan 13, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from a bottle a beautiful deep clear mahogany color with a frothy beige head and good lacing.

Aroma of citrus and grassyy hops along with a real malt presence. Notes of caramel and brown sugar circle the nose.

Taste is rich, moderately sweet, and strong. The zig of the hops and the malts work together perfectly together in this one. The alcohol is big in this ale and you know it.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, slightly drying, with a light carbonation. The warmth of the alcohol is there with every sip.

Let me say that I love Double Bastard. I want this beer to comfort me on my deathbed. Enjoy.

Monkeyknife, Jan 13, 2008
4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured from a bomber to a pint glass the liquid is a dark amber brown with reddish hues, and very good carbonation. The head is big, 2 plus fingers of white and lots of lace.

The smell is huge hops, and a nice malt to boot.

The taste follows, this brew is really quite big, When you talk DIPA here is the poster child. Extreme hops, grapefruit and pine tar, spread of lightly toasted biscuits. It could be a bit to sweet in the quest for balance.

The mouthfeel is big this and puckering, big thick, very good.

The drinkability is only for the worthy, I'll have it fresh any time.

Prosit, MK

MuenchenerKindl, Jan 13, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

yum yum yum yum yum.
Ever notice that beer geeks love this beer?
this is an IPA taken to new extremes. Bottle (2007) wonderful, draught, even better. Just make sure they dont over-chill the beer because while it tastes good 'american cold' temperature, it tastes AWESOME at just below room temp... the flavors come ROARING. Get some. now.

BeaBeerWife, Jan 12, 2008
Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.