Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

I wasn't sober enough to really pick too much into this, but I still wanted to make a few notes from what I did get out of it.

Deep mahogany, with plenty of lacing. Smells of plums and hops; plenty of alcohol here that burns the nostrils a bit when you really try to dig into it. Taste is BIG. Hops everywhere. Earthy, tart apples. Spicy hot alcohol is in your face. They couldn't have picked a better name. This beer BEGS for aging. If I ever come across this again it is going straight to the cellar. LET THIS ONE WARM UP. It is a completely different beer at room temp.

NCBeernut, Jan 18, 2008
4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

This beer poured a cloudy brownish/orange with very little head. The aroma is deep with malty, caramel, and alcoholic characteristics quite apparent. The taste is bold and has a punch but at the same time it is has a nice balance of malt and bitterness. The mouthfeel is thick but not chewy. Alcohol is noticeable but seems appropriate. Overall, this is an impressive beer that should only be ventured into by the worthy!

barefootbrewer, Jan 18, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

Be careful with this one. It's a heavy hitter that will sneak up on you and whop you over the head if you aren't paying attention!

This beer poured a deep rich mahogany color, with a brilliant head that eventually disappated to a nice layer of bubbles covering the beer. The bubbles stuck with the beer until the bitter end, and laced the entire glass.

Big nose with lot's of Alcohol,Dank hops, and maybe some woodsy, earthy notes.

It has a very warming, and alcoholic taste. Double Bastard is certainly not as bitter as I would have suspected. Perhaps it's the high gravity muscling it's way thru my palate cutting out the hops.

This is a full bodied dank beer that is surpisingly very drinkable. May I have another?

deanhead, Jan 17, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a: This one is a clear dark caramel color. It pours with a big off-white head that lasts and lasts.

s: There is an obvious and abrasive piny hop with lemons up front. After a while some caramel and brown sugar sweetness emerge.

t: Mirrors the smell almost exactly. The hops and the malts both push for top billing creating an almost schizophrenic drinking experience.

m: The carbonation is excellent and this is certainly thick and sticky enough.

d: This is one of my favorite beers so far.

DIM, Jan 17, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

1/12/2008

On tap at Mahar's

Pours an amber. Decent head.

Not a style I normally reach for. I loved the smell. Lots of floral and citrus.

First taste made me giggle. It was more like...wth was that! I had to keep drinking to try figuring it out. It is crisp, smooth, sweet. Carbonation has it dancing on your tongue. This beer is just great fun.

This becomes a relaxing drink after the initial excitement. Maybe it is the little hop high. Maybe it is the 11%. A few pints of this can disappear rather quickly. Watch out!

LittleBreeze, Jan 14, 2008
4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

A: Pours a nice dark amber with a thin layer of foam on top. Decent lacing on the glass.

S: Grassy, citrus hops blended with a nice malty sweetness.

T: Like a punch in the face, this beer demands attention. Huge citrus and grass hops notes are blended nicely with a huge caramel malt backbone. The alcohol is well-hidden in this one.

M: Smooth, crisp, with a bit of thickness to it.

D: The Double Bastard is a scarily drinkable beer, that packs quite a bunch. Very tasty, and a great job by Stone.

YonderWanderer, Jan 13, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from a bottle a beautiful deep clear mahogany color with a frothy beige head and good lacing.

Aroma of citrus and grassyy hops along with a real malt presence. Notes of caramel and brown sugar circle the nose.

Taste is rich, moderately sweet, and strong. The zig of the hops and the malts work together perfectly together in this one. The alcohol is big in this ale and you know it.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, slightly drying, with a light carbonation. The warmth of the alcohol is there with every sip.

Let me say that I love Double Bastard. I want this beer to comfort me on my deathbed. Enjoy.

Monkeyknife, Jan 13, 2008
4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured from a bomber to a pint glass the liquid is a dark amber brown with reddish hues, and very good carbonation. The head is big, 2 plus fingers of white and lots of lace.

The smell is huge hops, and a nice malt to boot.

The taste follows, this brew is really quite big, When you talk DIPA here is the poster child. Extreme hops, grapefruit and pine tar, spread of lightly toasted biscuits. It could be a bit to sweet in the quest for balance.

The mouthfeel is big this and puckering, big thick, very good.

The drinkability is only for the worthy, I'll have it fresh any time.

Prosit, MK

MuenchenerKindl, Jan 13, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

yum yum yum yum yum.
Ever notice that beer geeks love this beer?
this is an IPA taken to new extremes. Bottle (2007) wonderful, draught, even better. Just make sure they dont over-chill the beer because while it tastes good 'american cold' temperature, it tastes AWESOME at just below room temp... the flavors come ROARING. Get some. now.

BeaBeerWife, Jan 12, 2008

22oz bottle chilled and poured into my oversize wine glass

A: Gorgeous deep ruby red with a frothy and lacy head

S: Potent. Hoppy with a blast of pineapple up front. Well balanced with the malt backbone coming through. Dried figs, maybe? Just a hint of alcohol as it warms up

T: A blast of piney hops that is ridiculously well-balanced. The malt backbone reveals tons of caramel and sweetness. There's hints of dark raisins and dried figs in there. The finish is long and bitter.

M: Silky smooth with the right amount of carbonation.

D: Something this strong and so tasty has to approached with care. This is definitely a sipper disguised as a quaffer.

4.5/4.5/5/5/4

**Edit 29 Nov 2011**
It's been 3 years since my review, and while I haven't drunk as much of this beer as I thought I would, I still remain very impressed with it. I'm taking my scores down to better reflect the changes in my palate. However, the succulent, juicy blend of hops with pine, pineapple and grapefruit with dark caramel, a little cocoa and a mild sweetness. The flavors on the palate are the same as the nose would suggest, and while this is boozy, this never gets overbearing. The alcohol does hinder the drinkability, but split two ways, this is perfect.

DefenCorps, Jan 10, 2008
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

22oz 2007 release picked up at Erickson's fine wines for about $5.50.. poured into my New Belgium tulip at cellar temp.

Thick sticky head and alot of lacing atop a deep clear amber/copper brew.

Aroma is thick and very hoppy.. pine and caramel big time.... getting some alcohol on the nose, but I don't mind alot... dried cherries and a touch of raisin.

Damn.. tastes like a sweeter barleywine.. big burly bitter backbone.. balanced by a very sweet but not cloying maltiness. Huge pine and citrus hop flavors and caramel toffee... hops and malts kung fu fight for control of my palate... Fairly thick body and an assertive but small bubble carbonation... fair amount of yeasty fruitiness adds well to the overall complexity... Very aggressive and subtle at the same time... more like a kung fu ballet.

This is the 4th year I've had this brew, and I can tell you I only have 1 '06 in the cellar... It is always a goto beer anytime I can't pick something out... after tonight, I am thinking I am going to have to get a case and let them mellow in the box, out of sight out of temptation.

Edit: Wooh! I only wanted 1 beer before bed.. this is the perfect nightcap.

JohnGalt1, Jan 08, 2008
3.78/5  rDev -11.5%

2007 release. I had last year's quite a bit both on tap and in the bottle. I'm glad to have a fresh one to review.

APPEARANCE: Pours into a becker glass a dark russet brown with some crimson notes. The head starts out just under one finger and shrinks slowly to a thick collar and full surface covering. Quite good.

SMELL: Big hops with a malty base to match. The beer smells sweet and bready with a sticky sweet resinous dose of the traditional Stone hop profile. Piny and citrusy, they certainly make their presence known, but don't overshadow the malt base which is an equally important component in this beer.

TASTE: It starts as a huge alcohol bomb; the 10% is quite evident. It's tremendously sweet with the alcohol almost serving to cut through and balance it. But the hops come soon enough and don't overpower the malt at all. In fact, they could be more intense.

MOUTHFEEL: It thick and slick and carbonated on the lower end of things. The beer lingers long after you swallow and coats your mouth entirely.

DRINKABILITY: It suffers considerably with a high ABV that really shows itself. Really, this drinks like an American barleywine. One bottle please, maybe even to split.

It definitely seems a bit harsh when fresh and I'm sure aging would help in that regard. But the already weak hops (comparatively) would surely dissipate more, so it's a bit of a catch-22. Still, it's a very nice beer, and I'll be buying at least 1 bomber each year.

jmalex, Jan 08, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

'07 vintage poured at 45F into a snifter

Beautifull rich amber color. Thick tan head that settles to a nice cover.

Mixture of sweet malts and bitter floral hops. Aromas of caramel, vanilla and ripe fruits as well.

More of the same, but better. Caramel malts perfectly blended with powerfull hops. Sweet fruits and warming alcohols.

Well carbonated full body. Thick and creamy feel.

Very complex yet well balanced. Delicate yet delicious. Another fine brew from stone and possible the best vintage yet.

rye726, Jan 07, 2008
4.72/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was skeptical about the hype, but this beer is definitely worth it. I can't wait to buy another. Bought this to my recent trip back home to Jackson, Michigan. I couldn't save it, but shared it with bwatson. It poured a murky amber into a chalice, kind of looks like the Kansas River on a summer day. Almost no head in my chalice, but bwatson got a little head off of his pour. The smell is a trip in itself. At first, you just smell hops, raisins, but then later on, the sweet pineapple and piney smells come through. It's awesome. The taste is exceptional: caramel, pineapple, hops. It's a ride. This one goes down extremely well despite it's high ABV. I would gladly buy another bottle of this one.

wardough, Jan 02, 2008
3.6/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a deep blackish crimson with light bubbles escaping to the top reminding me of a guiness pour. A small but thick head reins over the top of this monster.

S- Smells oaty, earty, very similar to oaked AB. A little lighter than I would have liked.

T- The taste is sharp with huge alcohol notes interspersed with sweet malt, coffee, mixed dark fruit.

M- Thick with ample carbonation.

D- This is definitely a sipper but for how much it lets the alcohol through, I am surprised I am able to drink so much.

Lothore, Jan 01, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Bomber into a huge handled glass. Clear deep red copper with a huge persistant off-white head. Leaves a nice lacing on the surface. Aroma is mostly nice citrus hops with a definite underlying sweetness. Taste is quite sweet with some caramel. Some earthiness and hints of raisins and plums. Noticeable alcohol in the finish. Lots of citrus hops balance the sweetness well. Slightly bitter aftertaste. Delicious. Full bodied mouthfeel and not overly carbonated which I think suits this beer perfectly. The noticable achohol and 10% abv detract from drinkability somewhat but its awesome stuff that I could hardly refuse another glass of.

burnstar, Jan 01, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

22 oz bomber (2007 release) purchased at Wine Gallery in Brookline, MA. A: Pours a nice amber/red, some an head that retains to a caked on layer, good amount of lacing. S: Lots of caramel malts, alcohol is present but not overwhelming. The hops have a pretty strong presence, it almost smells like a DIPA. T: Really nice malt profile, the hops are very present but nothing like the smell would indicate. Alcohol is actually pretty well hidden. Wonderfully dry finish. D: I love the Arrogant Bastard ale, I've had it on plenty of occasions so I was very eager to try this beer. For something with so much alcohol, it's incredibly smooth and drinkable. I'll definitely be picking this up again.

PlaywrightSam, Dec 31, 2007
3.53/5  rDev -17.3%

Nice amber in color with little head that leaves a lacy coast over the brew. The first taste kicks your ass off, very strong beer with mault being the strongest. I read the back of the bottle and I thought it was a joke. Probably the strongest ale I have ever had. Overall not bad, but a little too strong for my taste I guess.

n0315, Dec 30, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Off notes 11-3-2006. Pours ruby colored with thick lacing. Minimal nose- slightly citric. Very hoppy as expected, but with a slight tangy edge - almost sweet. Over time that flavor smoothes out and the sweeter side comes out but stays consistent and smooth. Feel is smooth with a great amount of carbonation on the mouth. Very drinkable, until you start to realize that 10% is kicking in hard.

RblWthACoz, Dec 30, 2007
3.6/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I liked this better than last time I had it, but it's still too much to drink a lot of. It pours a beautiful mahogany color with a nice off white head. There is an intense bitterness right up front with a ton of hop flavor that fades into a big sweet malt profile. This is just like a regular beer, only with a thousand times more everything. A pretty good beer, although I couldn't drink much more than the 10oz I had.

drseamus, Dec 30, 2007
3.45/5  rDev -19.2%

Reviewed from notes Oct '07
A - Reddish brown with a smallish head that left quickly.

S - Rich malty aromas. Lots of typical hop scents too, citrus pine etc.

T - Lots of hops and booze. Big. Sweet malt backbone tries to hold up to the hops and booze but fails.

M - Oily, syrupy with an alcohol burning effect.

D - Share this with many friends. I split this with one buddy and we sipped it for quite a while.

Not impressed with this beer. Just too hot and big. Didn't seem at all under control at all. Just big for the sake of being big.

Monsone, Dec 28, 2007
4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

A- Awesome color and of course bottle design...I poured it in to a Mug to fit this pint bottle perfectly And what a nice dark Amber ....almost like a pinkish burgundy under a full spectrum light bulb.

S- Smell was rather faint to me once poured in my giant mouthed mug but very nice faint smell of sweet fruit ....Ah who am I kidding?
MY nose doesnt work so well this time of year...but ive had this one and it smells great.

T- Awesome- Its as if they custom made this thing just for me.
Bitter sweet chewy fruity strong excellence.

M- Not too carbonated, not too bitter...but I love it bitter, after taste is nice...

D- Unless you are an experienced drinker i cant imagine you drinking too many of these without passing out. I can, however imagine someone drinking these until they pass out because they are so good....You should be rather wealthy though, 8$ a bottle depending on how many you can take down.

OVERALL- I love this beer. I would recommend it to anyone who likes micros.... but to the mainstream macro light beer drinkers... like it says on the bottle,...

YOU'RE NOT WORTHY

LOL

HopsHops, Dec 28, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bomber into "Arrogant Bastard" bar glass. A reddish-brown color, lighter than cola and more red than yellow. Almost no head with little lacing; very low carbonation in general.

This is a great smell for a beer--a strong ale with sweet pineapple (not tart), burnt raisin and roast hits. I like where this is going ...

Taste--very good and interesting. Alcohol masked well to the point that if I didn't know, I'd think it was a normal ABV--it's there, but you have to find it and it comes on late.

Although the carbonation is lower than I usually like, but it feels more gentle than flat. This adds to the drinkability, which could be considered a benefit or danger. This ale has a nice mouthfeel with just enough sweetness to balance out the robust, mature base, which has plenty of bitterness--I like that. I am not a fan of sweet beers, and this is not a sweet beer, but its sweetness is a lovely peripheral aspect that doesn't fade into the rest of the beer, nor is it overwhelming. It's just one of the many characteristics of this interesting, complex beer. A true winner, and a great example of Stone's propensity to brew outstanding big beers.

boogles, Dec 27, 2007
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours and icky sticky deep dark amber with a big white head and lines that soak down the side of the glass like stain of shame.

Smells of like ten different kinds of malt all stuffed in there. Big, syrupy malt and bastardly drunken toasted malt that keeps punching you in the stomach, pinching your daughter's ass and telling you that your wife is a whore.

Tastes thick. Just--thick. There's some very large hops and some very thick caramely syrup malt that--well let me put it this way: when I was working at a gas station in high school we had to change the fountain pop syrup. One time the bag of Mountain Dew syrup had ruptured before we opened the box that contained it. Blackgreen goo dripped out its side and it smelled like the most refreshingly synthetic Mountain Dewiness you could ever imagine, so strong that we were tempting to lick it but we stopped ourselves, knowing that after tasting it regular Mountain Dew would no longer we worth our time. That's what this is like.

mynie, Dec 27, 2007
4.72/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2007 Double Bastard- Poured into a pint glass. My first time trying Double Bastard (finally!)

A- A bright, ruby red, brown color- really beautiful to look at. Incredible lacing, lasting throughout my entire glass of DB.

S- Smell was very sweet- caramel, some toffee, and some hops.

T- Wow. Can you get any smoother than this? This was surprisingly sweet- lots of flavors here ranging from the sweet (caramel, brown sugar, maybe even some oak) to the bitter (the hops)- perfect balance and something to be savored.

M- Sticky. Very sticky. Sleek and oily on the tongue. No burning at all. My lips are coated with double bastard as I type speak.

D- At 10%, it dosen't get anymore drinkable than this.

Surely something to savor and enjoy.

DavidSeanNJ, Dec 27, 2007
Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.