Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

2006 release.

Beautiful dep mahogany with a substantial creamy head that dissipates slowly leaving rings of lace behind.

Dominant hops over a barleywine nose.

Great taste, so smooth and creamy. Complex, with a sweet start leading to a bitter hoppy finish. Some alcohol presence, but very well hidden.

Thick and full mouthfeel.

Sublimely drinkable. I thank Robert at State Line for this 22oz. bomber; just so I didn't have to open my 3 l. yet.

techdiver, Jun 10, 2007
4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

2004 Release!!!

A- Pours a murky dark amber hue with a watery off-white head, lacing is excellent throughout

S- Rich, strong hops, tones of pine and citrus, considerable alcohol presence

T- What can I say other than Amazing! I like Double Bastard, and this is the longest aged bottle I have ever had. Initial taste is dominated by piney/citrus hops followed by cherry and honey sweetness. Aftertaste is a brief hoppy bitterness balanced by sweet malts. Alcohol is fairly evident, but not entirely overwhelming.

M- Full bodied with light carbonation, thick and oily mouthfeel.

D- What a treat! Pulled this gem from a co-worker who had to give away his beer due to medical reasons. Didn't realize it was 2004 until I started drinking it!!! I am a big fan of AB and am more partial to Oaked than Double, but this was great! Anyone with a case of 2004 Double, be sure to let me know. . .

Stoneman78, Jun 09, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured a deep auburn color that was slightly transparent. A smooth white head rested atop the brew. The aroma was very sweet, somewhat floral, and somewhat alcoholic. It's the kind of smell that clues you in on what you're about to drink; a huge, complex beer.

And that's what the Double Bastard is. It's an unrelenting assault on the tastebuds. At first it is strikingly sweet, with big waves of caramel, dark fruits, and raisins. As the beer warms the complexities really come out, exhibiting a sturdy grass hop profile, a smokey wood flavor, and a subtle alcohol tinge to the finish. And while the sweetness prevails over all of it, the subtleties never get lost or overpowered.

The mouthfeel is medium, rich, and super smooth. Very little alcohol in the finish. Drinkability takes a slight hit due to the intense sweetness and ABV. But overall this is just a beast of a beer, putting your palate in a stranglehold and not letting go.

BBM, Jun 05, 2007
4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

Not entirely opaque although pretty close, deep mahogany with a good layer of head.

Brown sugar, blood oranges, and a touch of cinnamon accompany a slight medicinal aroma. A complex and rewarding nose.

Yeah, it's a hop bomb. Sweet grapefruit, a little candy-link on the finish, medicinal again at points but fairly controlled for something this size. As it warms fruit and spice qualities come to the foreground.

Very strong in this department; creamy and lush. Bitterness really tingles the tongue on the finish.

I really do like this beer, but it's not something I could drink much of. Bitterness begins to border on annoying by the end of the bomber. Certainly a wonderful beer to share with a friend.

malcontent, Jun 05, 2007

Well I chose a hell of a day to do a vertical tasting of 2 year old (2004) Double Bastard with a fresh 2006 one. Been meaning to do this for a while but...well, today is a good day. Finals are over, and it is impressively cool for the month of June here in Cincinnati. Should be much easier to drink with this cool weather today. I don't think that it'd go down too well were it scorching hot.

2006 Eye:Clear copper in color with nice foamy creamy head. Lacing is excellent, and retention is also excellent.
2004 Eye: Color is almost identical with this one having a bit more of a reddish orange hue added to the copper color. It is also cloudy, not close to being clear. Lacing is nice, but head retention isn't all that great, could be the glass though-its been through the dishwasher a few times, what can you do? I usually only review through my specific glass.

2006Nose: Strong malt aroma, evident alcohol with a bit of warming alcohol there as well. As it warms a bit some light hop aromas are starting to come through.
2004Nose: Much the same as the 2007, however more sherry like, alcohol is much more evident, much more potent and stronger than the 2007. Strongly malt focused aroma, some chocolate aromas seem to be there. Reminds me much of SN Bigfoot after a year of cellaring.

2006 Tongue: Hot Damn! I'll admit this is the first time I've had Double Bastard, and after the first sip I'm already in love. What a wash of hops! It was a huge surprise. Didn't expect to be hit in the face with hop flavor and bitterness when it is not evident in the aroma. Floral hops dominate the flavor leaving little room for malt flavor. Alcohol is also there.
2004 Tongue: Much more relaxed. Malt oriented. Aging has taken the hop kick out of this brew. Definite roasted and burnt grain flavors. Not nearly as bitter as the 06. Alcohol is also more upfront, not nearly as neatly hidden, the overwhelming hops of fresh Double Bastard hid the alcohol pretty well, but here it is way out in the open. Sherry like in flavor from oxidation, again reminds me how Bigfoot aged over a year. I have to say that I prefer it fresh, I am however, a hop head. There is still a little hop bitterness right there at the end that is detectable but it quickly fades.

2006 Mouthfeel and Drinkability:Definitely one to sip. Try to guzzle this and I think you might find yourself gagging. Hops are so strong that at first I almost gagged because I wasn't expecting it to be so bitter-dumb me! I forgot all about Arrogant Bastard and Stone....no hops what the hell was I thinking? Didn't get it in the aroma so hey...-Heavy body-thick in the mouth like watery syrup-with light fine carbonation, however it is less than the carbonation of the 2004 vintage. This is a brew that I could sit and drink for a few hours, however, after one or two bombers I think that things might just get out of hand. This is the best beer from Stone that I've ever had, I will always buy this brew, it is that good. The Bastard has set me Free.
2004 Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Pretty heavy in body and with light fine carbonation, warms as it goes down. Thank God its not steaming hot otherwise I don't think I'd be able to drink the 3 Liter bottle Ive got. In my opinion I prefer it fresh, but perhaps one year would be nice when there is more of a balance between hops, malts, and alcohol. Still good though, I mean you can't buy it so.... Really three years of aging has changed this into a completely different beer. In a blind test you might be able to tell that it has been aged, but the same beer, I'm not quite sure.

God, going between these two is hell, as soon as I get used to one I reach for the other and find something completely different. I recommend Double Bastard uncellared and fresh....I will be drunk soon, just finishing this bomber and then the first glass of the cellared might just do it, 10%abv, damn who wouldn't be after a few glasses of this?

becktone, Jun 04, 2007
3.63/5  rDev -15%

A- auburn w/ 2 finger off white, decent retent, thin silky lacing

S- alcohol, carmel, piney, citrus, fruity

T- burnt wood alcoholic finish, some sticky caramelized sugars in after, oily hops, pine, earthy, dried fruit

M- full body, some stickiness and heat in finish & after

D- better shared than drank alone, complex but boring, worth a try once, but i'd prefer arrogant bastard any day

tonistruth, Jun 02, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Served in a pint glass at Monk's Cafe's "Everybody Must Drink Stone" tasting 5/22/07... 2006 Brew

A - lovely amber color, with a bit of graing in the background. Moderate head (likely from the pour) that mostly diminished as it went bye-bye.

S - a really rich, hoppy scent to this that stuck around in your head for a bit. You know what you are getting into. A bold production of citrus notes jump toward you but let their grips go as you pull more in.

T - being a fan of the style, this was absolutely lovely to me. The IBU's and alcohol let you know you are imbibing an imperial, but the smoothness of finish let you feel at home.

M - few words to describe here, nothing spectacular, or out of the ordinary, somewhere right in between watery and oily.

D - early, often and thoroughly. This, for 10% ABV, really balances the alcohol and hops well together. A must have for any hophead. As the bottle's will tell you, not for the weak of countinence and slim of heart.

You need to have your gameface on when preparing ones self for it, but a must have.

boelker62, May 24, 2007
4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

Presentation: 22oz bottle, self dated 11/06

Appearance: Poured a deep ruby/orange into my Triple Karmeleit Goblet. Initial head of 2" faded to a resting point of 1/2".

Smell: Intense candied fruit, reminiscent of Fig Newtons almost...bruised cherries and cake like malts permeated by alcoholic nose. Alot going on here, so much that it meshes together and makes it hard to figure out. Either that or my pallate sucks- probably the latter.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Intense hop character that sticks to the tongue in addition to a phenolic aftertaste. Malt character rounds out the mouthfeel, but individual characteristics blend together.

Drinkability: Drink this whenever you are able, especially as it gets older. I first tried this in November 2006, but decided to age a 2nd bottle and review it when it's done some time in country (i.e. my beer cellar).

Overall, I wish I would have bought a few more bottles to enjoy in 07-09...guess I have to start all over again. At least I have a 12pack of 2005 Old Stock Ale waiting to comfort me in the years to come.

chance269, May 23, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

Bright red body, a bit of haze but overall good clarity, a single strand of high speed carbonation rising up the center of my Arrogant bastard glass, topped by an easy four fingers of rocky off-white foam. Good lacing is quickly evident.

Powerful aroma of candy and sweet fruits - oranges, apricots - is appreciable at arms lenght.

Rich malt slathers across the tongue, with a semi-sweet dark chocolate depth. Then it cranks the sweetness up another notch for a burst that then contracts before it becomes cloying. Suddenly a sharply bitter burst of hops batters the sweetness down into a momentary pin attempt (any use of the word "balance" here would be absurd). Sweet and bitter roll down the tongue battling like Popeye and Bluto, with sweet managing to finally emerge the winner of a quick count in the end. Even as sweet stands arms up though, the hops form a lumberjack circle around the ring, and this match will continue mouthful after mouthful.

Lovely thick juciey mouthfeel just oozes across the tongue. Drinkability is ...surprising.

Its big, its bold, its beautiful...its a bastard of a beer.

RonfromJersey, May 20, 2007
4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

2006 Release

My brother and I split a 12 pack.
With all the excitement of a kid on Christmas I opened up the first bottle one night.

I remember my immediate reactions being, "What IS this stuff !?" and "I love this beer."

Out of pure respect for the beer itself, I didn't open another one for a few days. I had to let it sink in.

So it's a 22oz. bomber poured into a big 'ol mug. It generally looks thicker than your average ale while pouring.

Nice head, never really does go away. The body is pretty much just shades of brown. Lighter around the edges, darker in the center, it's very cloudy. Definitely looks like a strong ale.

Complex scent: I get citrus, some grassy pine, no doubt from hops, and a general sweet scent, like a nice bourbon.

Now the taste is a whole other level of complexity. The very first sip has this bitterness right away, but I get used to that. As I drink I notice it's sweet, kinda like that bourbon I mentioned only without the heat or taste of alcohol. It balances well with a bitter hop background, but everything is taken up a notch or so. It's really something.

It's medium bodied, enough to invite you for more. The 10% ABV is very deceptively hidden. No doubt another bottle of this and I would be down for the count, but yet I it does make me crave another.

I've also decided to start cellaring, with this beer being the first. It surely has been created by some evil genius.

joeskirkie, May 19, 2007
4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

2006 release
Pours a deep mahogany color. Decent head that lasts about average duration. Nose is sweet and hoppy, fruity, piney, hints of aged rum. There's more here that's eluding me, lots of complexity.

Huge taste, there's almost too much here to describe. Very sweet with a lot of smooth dark malt flavors, but with a hoppy bite to posit a great counterpoint. Rich malt, carmelized sugars, and alcohol vie with earthy, fruity, and grassy hops for domination of the tastebuds. Definitely a standout, whether you put it in the strong ale category or consider it a barleywine.

Mouthfeel is big, creamy, smooth, with good carbonation. Drinkability is good for such a big complex ale.

Pooba001, May 18, 2007
3.43/5  rDev -19.7%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a 20oz imperial pint.

A: Nice looking dark reddish-orange color. Massive khaki-colored head takes for ever to recede and leaves plenty of lacey goodness in its' wake.

S: Odd nose of sweet caramel and rubbing alcohol. I also noted a hint of apricots.

T: Big sweet caramel malt and sweet fruit flavors with a huge and very bitter hop bite. Some citrus fruit flavors. Alcohol is quite assertive. This guy tastes pretty boozy.

M: Spicy, tingly, prickly, sweet, and smooth, with a whack of alcohol burn.

D: Drinkability suffers due to how boozy this sucker is. The alcohol smells and flavors are very pervasive. Finishing a bomber was a bit of a chore. It wasn't bad. Not even close. Just a little hard to do.

GbVDave, May 17, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

2006 vintage

a - poured a two-fingers thick, coffee-colored, creamy head into a snifter. the body is a dark and deep purple but when held to the light it becomes a light amber, like the color of a fossilized prehistoric bug. leaves a thick and creamy sheet and ring throughout.
s - powerful dark and ripe fruits and a caramel sweetness.
t - dark grapes, cherries, grassy hops and some citrus tones. gives an earthy aftertaste.
m - syrupy with a crisp hop bite.
d - this is a powerful brew that i can't help but go back for more even as it is kicking my ass. towards the finish this really smooths out or maybe i'm just numb. i love this beer.

GPHarris, May 16, 2007
3.38/5  rDev -20.8%

2006 release

Pours a pretty, clear, dark amber with a large thick tan head and good retention leaving some lacing.
The smell is a bit of sweetness and light hops, hard to categorize outside that.
The taste is, at first, a slight bitterness giving way quickly to the malt sweetness though the bitterness lingers on.
Mouthfeel is thick.
Drinkability is OK.
I'm not especially keen on this version of an ASA because it tastes a little too harsh for my taste. It doesn't have a lot of easily defineable tastes to me.

meatyard, May 06, 2007

Thanks to Boolshot and Marvz for providing a Double shot of "the Bastard" in the Double Trouble BIF.
2004 vintage.
The appearance of this beer beckons you to drink....immediately!
Caramel colored. Thick creamy khaki colored head rises and rises and rises to a full 2 fingers in my tulip glass and falls ever so slowly and softly. Sheets of lacing fall after each sip.
The aroma both intices and scares the shit out of me. Nice tropical fruit aroma. Nice fruity sweetness. Fusal alcohol.
Very Barleywine like in it's characteristics. Huge malt sweetness. Caramel, brown sugar, fructose. It has huge hop flavors also but they take a backseat to the malts maybe b/c of the age. Piney and earthy bitterness. As the beer warms the alcohol leaves a lasting impression in the finish.
Very full bodied, smooth and creamy. Alcohol warms the belly and reddens the face a bit.
Delicious beer but lowered the drinkability .5 due to the 10%.

wcudwight, Apr 27, 2007
4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

2004 release, cellared until now. Pours very dark, just a couple shades shy of coffee, with a reddish tint and a very white head that leaves lots of lacing. Smells like an aged American barleywine. I haven't had this beer when it's young, but I'm sure that its hop character was more brash than this during its youthful days. Instead, that aromas end up being more on the malty end of the spectrum: quite sweet, with hints of graham cracker, treacle, and syrupy french toast with predominantly piney and slightly metallic hops laid over it all.

On the palate, crackery, almost Maris Otter sweetness first off, then things go two ways: simultaneously, there's growing caramel sweetness and increasing metallic hoppiness at the mid-palate. The sweetness dissipates only a little bit at the end; the sweetness sticks around for the most part, along with the hops, which attain some fruity height here. Throughout, the mouthfeel is quite oily with hops in spite of the malty goodness on display. Carbonation is slight. Overall, this is a definite step up from the Arrogant Bastard... although it could just be the aging, which emphasizes the malts a bit more at the expense of the hops. Quite good.

geexploitation, Apr 23, 2007
3.65/5  rDev -14.5%

22oz. Bobmer 2006 Release

Pours brown with nice ruby hints and about a finger of creamy, slightly off-white head and minimal, spotty lacing. Smell is quite sweet, while there are other aromas present the sweetness is a common theme. Various citrus notes are present with grapefruit and tangerine in the forefront accompanied by other fruity notes namely cherries, apples, and pineapple. At first I'm hit with a veritable wave of malt sweetness. The finish brings a hoppy flavor. Overall the taste is dominated by an alcoholic astrigency that lingers and overshadows the other flavors. Mouthfeel is good, a bit syrupy. Drinkability is ok. Overall I'm not very impressed with this brew. I have another bottle in the cellar and hopefully with another year of so this will mellow out nicely.

mnj21655, Apr 22, 2007
4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

22oz. bottle poured a reddish brown color with a nice creamy off white head that leaves some sticky lace around the glass.

Smell - a bit of a malt and yeast aroma.
Taste - equal balance of malt and floral like hops, mild bitterness and alcohol drying in the aftertaste.
Feel - medium bodied, slight dryness.
Drinkability - very smooth, easy to drink but a bit high in alcohol.

Alkey, Apr 20, 2007
2.48/5  rDev -41.9%

22 oz bottle rec'd in a trade from akorsak.

A: Pours dark rust/brownish color, with a red hue and a slight tan head. No lacing and very little retention.

S: Hops and sweet malt. Not bad.

T: Way too cloying, sweet. Entirely too boozy. More complex than their Levitation Ale, but just simply boozy. It's a shame, too. I liked the regular bastard. This seems very unbalanced. Astringent, like Listerine. Boozy like whiskey. Bitter like pepper.

M: Mouth-puckering sweet, little carbonation. Leaves a weird film in my mouth.

D: Too extreme to enjoy. It is an attempt, but they failed IMO. Just because it's big, doesn't make it good. This beer is truely "big and BAD."

guinnessfan, Apr 18, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours a clear ruby amber color with better than a full finger stiff yellowish head that fades slowly. Some lacing and visible effervescence observed.

The smell is really sweet cherry, vanilla cadbury creme egg

Thee mouth feel is on the heavier side of medium bodied, It's creaminess seem to give it extra presence. There is a tingle from the hops and carbonation and it finishes with the warmth of higher alcohol content.

The taste is very sweet and creamy also. Malty with a cherry tone with a lingering syrupy sweetness on the tongue.

Very drinkable, although i'm one who feels the alcohol more on the way down than on the palate. This one is letting the burn loose in the chest.
Scoring Imagination Points with me.

jjayjaye, Apr 18, 2007
4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

"Warning: Double Bastard Ale is not to be wasted on the tentative or weak. Only the worthy are invited, and then only at your own risk. If you have even a modicum of hesitation, DO NOT buy this bottle. Instead, leave it for a Worthy soul who has already matriculated to the sublime ecstasy of what those in the know refer to as "Liquid Arrogance."

"This is one lacerative muther of a beer. It is unequivocally certain that your feeble palate is grossly inadequate and thus undeserving of this liquid glory...and those around you would have little desire to listen to you resultant whimpering. Instead, you slackjawed gaping gobemouche, slink away to that pedestrian product which lures agog the great unwashed with the shiny happy imagery of its silly broadcast propaganda. You know, the one that offers no challenge, yet works very, very hard to imbue the foolhardy with the absurd notion that they are exercising "independent" thought, or attempts to convey the perception it is in some way "authentic" or "original". Its that one that makes you feel safe and delectates you into basking in the warm, fuzzy and befuddling flow of your own nescience. Why so many allow themselves to be led by the nose lacks plausible explanation. Perhaps you have been so lulled by the siren song of ignorance, that you dont even notice your white knuckle grip on it. You feel bold and unique, but alas are nothing but sheep, willingly being herded to and fro. If you think you are being piqued in this test, it is nothing when compared to the insults we are all asked to swallow spilling forth from our televisions. Truth be told, you are being coddled into believing you are special or unique by ethically challenged "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" marketing exec-types. Double Bastard Ale calls out the garrulous caitiffs who perpetrate the aforementioned attrocities--and those that buy into them-- and demands retribution for their outrageously conniving, intentionally misleading, blatantly masturbatory and fallacious ad campaigns. We demand the unmitigated, transparent truth. We demand forthright honesty. We want justice! Call 'em out and line 'em up against the wall....NOW."

Poured from a 22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass. Rusty orange in color. Deep caramel malty aroma with some strong hints of hops. Alcohol and caramel and toffee in the taste. Pretty sweet tasting and sticky on the palate. Big mouthfeel with small drinkability due to high alcohol.

SaCkErZ9, Apr 17, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

Serving from a 2006 vintage 22 oz. bomber - reviewed 4-14-07.
Stone Brewery has gained my total respect over the past couple years, proving to me that something good CAN come out of California.

A mildly vigorous pour split into two pint glasses (my buddy had to sample as well) produced a deep mahogany to garnet color, with remarkable clarity and a nice sized creamy head, which produces sheets of lacing on the side of the glass all the way down.

The nose surprised me that it had floral and piney hops mixed in with the dark fruity rich maltiness. A note of fusel alcohol was present, and not unexpected in a 10% abv beer. Very complex and one could wax on for a long time describing every nuance.

The taste is very full bodied and has a great malty sweetness at the top; dark fruits, currants and a bready background. The sweetness is totally balanced by a suprising appearance of floral and piney hops, which get progressively more aggressive in trying to make their presense known by the bottom of the glass. I'm not sure I've ever had a beer that is so well balanced; definitely the "best of both worlds". The finish is satisfyingly dry, with the maltiness still present. This is one massive beer, complex and one to sit back and savor for an hour, as each small sip conjures up new nuances. The considerable ABV will make itself known, perhaps too much if you try to quaff an entire 22 oz. bomber. Share this excellent beer with a friend - great times and conversation are bound to follow.

Very highly recommended. An outstanding offering from Stone.
Cheers!

cooncat, Apr 14, 2007
3.25/5  rDev -23.9%

2005 release Double bastard - First let me say this beer is an entirely different beer aged. We all know hops seem to fade noticeably quarterly, but after a horrible first tasting in 2005, I persevered giving it more time. Without age, it's entirely too bitter as it's over hopped with high alpha hops without any balance making it very cloying. I don't understand hop heads and I never will, but perhaps over an aged argument, I'll listen but still disagree. This beer is insanely over hyped and overall an average beer at best without the patience of Job. After 2 years, its still slightly bitter, but a very balanced beer, somewhat similar to a slightly bitter but refined raison de extra. It's beginning to be good, beginning to be very good, but needs still more time to settle down. Don't get me wrong, this is a nice surprise but my guess is that after three years, this beer will finally be truly ready and a fantastic offering as beautiful pseudo amber, cooked sucrose treat. I taste 2 row malt for a base, munich malts, medium crystal, a little dark crystal, (I guess its possible that imp mistaking the crystal for some aromatic, biscuit or special B combo) maybe a little black patent malt or roasted barley, refined processed sugar and an American ale yeast.

Overall, this is a well brewed beer to withstand the test of time. Without time, it's a nice offering for the unrefined palette that falls prey to American micro beer marketing bias. The percentage of people that buy beer to age it is very low, thus how should I rate this beer?....

lifeboyq, Apr 07, 2007
3.3/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Sampled & reviewed on 2/24/07:

Ap: Medium pour brings 1/2 finger of tannish head. Head persists nicely. Nice rust/dark copper color. Slightly cloudy. Medium carbonation.

Ar: Fruits hit the nose initially followed by sweet malt & then hints of alcohol. Slight notes of citrus & tangerines.

Ta: Very sweet up front followed by a boozy blast of alcohol. Wow, this is strong! ABV very evident, not well disguised. Very heavy on the bittering hops. Comes off a bit astringent IMO.

Mo: Full bodied. Chewy. Very medicinal & astringent. Bitterness leaves cloying sensation which persists for some time. Not sure about this one...

Dr: Low-medium. ABV way to noticeable & in-your-face. Could have taken better steps to to layer the high ABV with a better malt profile & less bittering hops.

Comments: Can't say I loved this. I've had some high ABV barywines, but whis was way too over the top. The bitterness was too overpowering & the sweet malt entrance too heavy. Extreme does not always result in a well balanced beer. This is definitely the case here IMHO.

JMD71, Apr 04, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Into a tulip glass, pours a beautiful crimson, lots of off-white head, starting off at a solid inch and settling to a thick film, lacing all over the place, cascades in sheets and bubbles. Absolutely marvelous. The aroma is full of sweets, fruits, warm alcohol.... yikes, this bodes well.

Aaaannndd, the taste. Yikes. These guys can brew a ridiculous beer. This thing is fantastic. The "i can't think how it could possibly be better" type fantastic. Its the kind of beer that defines what Stone does, and that is... create strong, hefty beers, enormously hopped but loaded with sweet malts, a smooth, full body with all kinds of stuff going on. Clearly, this isn't the ballsiest beer they offer, but its kind of the flagship beer, its what they do, and what they do is a beautiful thing.

objectivemonkey, Apr 04, 2007
Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.