Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours a ruby red with a thick head that dissipates into a light coat of froth. As the carbonation struggles to the surface, I begin to wonder what I'm in for.

I inhale a whiff and am in another place. Sweet and strong, this smells like something to be reckoned with. But that's just the start.

The taste... Oh, the taste. The malty sweetness cuts the hop oils, and both linger on the palette, warming the body and bringing a smile to the soul.

You can't drink it all night, but for the time the bottle lasts, it's heaven (or hell) in a glass. Double bastard is everything arrogant bastard wishes it could be.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

2007 release 22 oz. bomber.

Pours a brilliantly clear crimson amber with a khaki colored 1/2" head. Large sized bubbles strangely clinging to most of the inside surface area of the glass - then steadily releasing to move upward - reminds me of what soda looks like. After this little phenomenon is complete, the head reduces to a steady 1/4". Some lacing, but it's thick and chunky.

The scents are very meaty and malty; caramel, juicy figs all mixed with an arousing bright scent of hops and a bit of alcohol. Fresh macerated dark fruits, almost like compote. Toasty dark malts that dance throughout this fruity mosh pit.

My tongue was hit with warm flavors of the aforementioned flavors - reminiscent of a heavy down pillow with a ton of momentum behind it being catapulted to my face. It kinda jumbles your noggin' but doesn't really hurt. A little sweet and syrupy malt presence with a regime of hops blowing up everything in its path. This son of a gun doesn't take any prisoners when it comes to showing up to the party. There's some spiciness in the background with a nice dryness and alcohol warmth lining the inside of my cheeks.

Mouthfeel is quite perfect. Creamy, perfect amount of fine and soft carbonation, prevent this monster from lying dormant. Long flavorful, spicy warm finish. Full body beauty at it's best.

Drinkability is quite dangerous. I'm halfway through this bomber and my mind's not drifting to another offering - it's got my full attention.

This is the very first time I've tried this ale and it definitely lives up to its infamous lore. Man, this baby's got some moxy and gumption - this is no lie. Very full tilt and in a strange way, very balanced and somewhat graceful. This ale sure dishes out some tuff love; sit down, mind your manners, look me in the eye when I'm talking to you and raise your hand when you have a question. Thank you sir, may I have another? <Ouch!>

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

A bomber of this year's double bastard will end better than the last time I drank it in 2002 which ended in coffee mugs being thrown at neighbors houses.

This beer pours a dark ruby brown with some orange highlights. Not much of a head. thin lacing on the outside.

I have a stuffed nose so I cant smell much. But what I do smell is hops, sweet malts, and not much alcohol for being 10%

This beer is better than what I remembered and a deeper taste than the arrogant bastard. Piney stingy, hops, some alcohol, good malt taste, I think this beer is a little hot right now, age this puppy and you'll get a lot more flavors out of this predominantly malty brew.

Excellent beer. If you have one, you like to gamble and it will pay off.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Dark brown with some red highlights. Milky white head. Pretty.

Cherry, prune, grapefruit, some booze, orange juice, coffee, grass clippings, some chocolate, and caramel in the nose.

Huge malt presence upfront: toffee, caramel, almond, and brown sugar. Fruit in the middle from hops as well as esters. Grapefruit dominates but cherry and plum flavors are in there as well. Finishes with some chocolate, roasted flavors and with plenty of bitterness. Complex.

Silky mouthfeel that seems to dance on the tongue. Chewy. I love this beer and find it an excellent winter companion. Warming yet refreshing. Aggressively beautiful. Highly recommended.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours a deep brown/red color. Clear, but some sediment at the bottom. Off white average head that leaves incredible coating of the side of the glass. This is usually an indication of a very malty beer.

SMells incredible. Where is the 10%abv?. Smells bisquity, sweet, spice, even some mild chocolate malts. Yiest smell. Very mellow smell for a "double". But the smells are memorable.

The taste is a surprise from the smell. I smelled no hops. I taste heavy heavy heavy hops. Pine hops with all the oily hop bitterness of a dipa. But, this brew has intense sugars to balance!!! Almost syrupy sweetness. But the bitterness balances any over malt sweetness. Brilliant! I have spices from this brew coming out my nose!!!! Clearing my nostrals!!!! WOW! Ohhhh...ok...there is the alcohol! Almost sips like a barly wine.

Is this brew an DIPA???? Is this brew a barly wine??? Is this brew a Brown ale??? Is this brew a belgem????

WHat is it??? Holy beer world....it is all of these things! ALl blended by the Stone brew makers!

I will call it a kick ass beer!!!

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

To quote from the bomber of Double Bastard Ale-- "Ye shall know the bastard, and the bastard shall set you free." Indeed!

I'm a fan of Stone's beers, since they are usually on the well-hopped side. Double Bastard Ale certainly fits the bill on hops, and malt as well.

I poured most of my bomber into a large 22 oz glass; surprised that it wasn't as "heady" as I remembered from last year. The beer left no lace at all, and actually looked "flat" about half-way through. I'm attributing this to the high ABV-- the beer wasn't flat at all, just appeared that way.

Nicely hopped, great malt finish-- love this brew. Of course, one bomber is plenty for one evening!

Stone, keep brewing your awesome beers!

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Deep amber color with a tan head. Some lacing around the glass.

S: Very hoppy. Lots of citrus with a hint of apple.

T: Upfront hop bitterness. Lots of citrus flavors mix well with a very alcoholic bite. Finishes somewhat sweet.

M: Thick and syrupy.

D: A delicious beer but drinkability is not high. A 10% brew in a 22 oz bomber certainly packs a punch. Overall however, highly recommended.

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

Had this beer on-tap at Frisco Grille in Columbia, MD

A: Amber color, thin but fairly creamy white head. Nice lacing on inside of glass after drinking.

S: Slight hop aroma (citrus and apple components).

T: Initial sweetness (reminded me a bit of sour apple), then the hop bitterness and alcoholic warmness hits you all at once, settling into a fairly bitter aftertaste. Stone must have used a truckload of bittering hops - as a hop-head it was awesome.

M: Malt sweetness on the tongue that is immediately overwhelmed by the hop and alcohol components.

D: A very good beer, especially if you like lots of hops and tend toward the higher gravity brews, as I do. If not, this will probably be too bitter for you.

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

Dark amber brown with a smallish head that dissipates to a layer of fine bubbled foam. Smells malty and sweet with some hint of pine. Massive taste with tons of malty caramel sweetness and hoppy undertones. A very pleasant finish. Feels thick and viscous in the mouth with enough carbonation to create a great feel. I can see why this is such a highly rated beer. It deserves all the accolades it receives.

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2006 Vintage - growler filled tonight so nice and fresh (so to speak..)!

A: Cloudy reddish dark amber color with a 1 finger white head that mostly dies.

S: Caramel and toffee. Some hops, but the smell is mostly dominated by the malt.

T: Delicious. Strong caramel/toffee malt base is nicely complemented by mostly piny hops. This beer achieves much better balance with some age on it. Right here, this is nice. My favorite is still probably around 5 years old, but give it at least a year and you will be happy. Too raw fresh in my opinion (and this coming from someone who quite enjoys Sam Adams Triple Bock and Dogfish Head 120 Minute). Trust me, give this a year or three to age.

M&D: Thick, rich and viscous, but still very drinkable. Nice.

Recommended. Obviously, not everyone can try this one aged for 5 years. But, I highly recommend sticking a bottle away for about 2 years. You will be rewarded with a beer that goes from an interesting, strong, but not that great beer to a strong, but balanced, integrated and mellow strong ale that deserves the rating it gets. This is one beer I've had enough of to feel confident in saying that. Prost!

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a deep dark mahogany brown with rusted red accents into my chalice. It has a thin tan head that quickly disappeared with little to no lacing to speak of on the glass. The smell is dominated by sweet malt and dark fruits coming through. The scent of alcohol and pineapple is present as well about mid-chalice. Sugary malt, pine, dark fruit, and a touch of citrus run across my palate. There is a great deal going on with this beer. Rich malted tones and a smoky caramel are the most dominant flavors to me in this beer. I served this beer at cellar temp and still somehow this beer tends to gain more life the warmer it gets. The sweetness of the malt and bitterness of the hops is very well balanced and well made. The taste is in your face the whole time and in no way subtle, but the balance is really a nice surprise. This beer is a very nice sipper and coats the mouth and tongue very well with it's stickiness. After finishing the bomber I don't really want another one right now and I wouldn't drink this beer with a meal most likely. It is very heavy and quite filling. I know the American strong ale category is a bit of made up category to fill a large variety of beers that craft brewers are making, but the flavors on this beer actually reminded me of a good barleywine.All in all great offering.

3.48/5  rDev -18.3%

2007 bottle that I am finishing as I review.

A-Great appearance on this brew. The body is a beautiful transparent deep mahogany color. Moderate pour produces an aggressive 3 finger light beige colored head. Head slowly fades to 1 finger with a smooth and creamy look (in a standard glass) and has great retention. Plenty of lacing is left behind.

S- Nose is promising with aggressive citrus and piny hop aromas fighting for dominance with a harsh spiciness. A big presence of alcohol looms in the background. No malt detected in the nose.

T-Initial taste is almost sweet. Caramel and chocolate malts are present with an accent of citrus hop flavor. A big spiciness bursts forth for the finish and the flavors present for the initial flavor vanish and are replaced with a big hop bitterness and a large kick of alcohol. A slight alcohol warmth lingers with nothing to accompany it with the exception of an aggressive (of medium strength...nothing too powerful or overwhelming) hop bitterness that lingers on and on and never goes away. The taste is wonderful at the beginning but ends slightly below average. Overall an average taste.

M- Medium to high stinging carbonation that temporarily vanishes but reappears for the swallow (very interesting). Body is thick and sticky-loaded with hops, caramel malt, and alcohol...but still has a pleasurable smoothness.

D- Drinkability gets an "above average" score from me. The taste is average but this brew screams "American Strong Ale" in almost every category. Its slightly more enjoyable than regular AB but is nowhere near oaked AB (which seems to take everything arrogant about the AB lineup and make it more smooth and mature). I enjoy reading the long-winded arrogant description on the back of these bottles but this honestly does not stand out to me as a superior ASA. I'm glad I was able to sample this bottle-but my choice from the AB lineup is still oaked AB.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A bottle of the 2007 poured into my snifter. This beer pours a dark, clear brown color with ruby highlights when held to the light. The frothy looking tan head is about an inch thick. Eventually settles to a nice frothy surface cover with very nice lacing. Deep, malty and hop aromas are present with citrus as well and of course a bit of alcohol. Flavors of sweet, roasted malt and bitter pine hops are present first and foremost. Good balance. The taste of alcohol is also present along with hints of caramel. Excellent! Has a nice thick, frothy and crisp mouthfeel. Full body and moderate carbonation. I becomes more drinkable as it warms. I can't wait to do a vertical tasting with the '06 I have been cellaring. A great beer overall! Truly a piece of craft brewing art here!

Eric

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a gorgeous, very cloudy reddish-brown color. Thick, two finger off white head sits on top. Excellent retention. Lacing was thick and lined the mug.

Smell: Very fruity on the nose initially. There are a few citrus scents (grapefruit was apparent). Perhaps a touch of dark fruit as well. Piney hops are noticeable though not as pronounced as the fruit aromas. A bit of brown sugar and malts blend in. Perhaps a slight bit of toasted nut as well.

Taste: Wow. Brown sugar and citrus flavors provide an inital sweet taste. Hops are piney and bitter. Malts give it a little balance, but it's nice and bitter. Very well blended in my opinion. There is a nice vanilla taste that I was not picking up on the nose. Nice, bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's medium bodied. Carbonation is excellent. At 10%, it's strong, but perfect for this beer. Extremely smooth for a big beer. I could probably drink this all night if I wouldn't pass out. Very aggressive and big in character. Another Stone classic.

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%

Whew! I am not sure that I am worthy. Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass. Appears to be an ice tea color that is both clear and opaque. It is topped by a very creamy tan head about a finger tall that drops to a thin crown and leaves pretty decent lacing.

Once poured the aroma comes at you from across the room, powerfully. The aroma is sweet fruits and strong alcohol. The taste is heavy, sweet malts and medium to high hop flavors, topped off by a pretty strong alcohol flavor. In my opinion, there is some strong leafy, hop bitterness that is both tart and sweet.

The mouthfeel is not easy on the palate, but attacks it with ample carbonation and strong hop bitterness. This one is all that you would expect from the name and label.

2.65/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Poured a dark amber color with little to no head and no lacing. Not a very impressive start.

Smelled mostly of alcohol and some pine. Maybe a tiny bit of citrus.

Tasted like the smell. Not nearly as complex as I was expecting. Mainly alcohol dominated with some pine thrown in. I even waited a while for it to warm but really the only thing that seemed to get stronger was the alcohol taste.

Good mouthfeel. Very smooth with a medium to slightly thick body. Not much carbonation however.

I couldn't see drinking very many of these. It just didn't beckon me back for another round.

A friend of mine from Europe visited this site recently and commented that he felt that a lot of folks seemed to give high marks for a beer based mainly on the machismo factor, a high ABV content. After reading the reviews of this beer and then tasting it, that's the first thought that came to my mind. I will revisit this beer again for another try, not because I wanted more, but because perhaps I had a bad bottle. I'm definitely in the minority here but this beer was quite a letdown from what I was expecting.

4.8/5  rDev +12.7%

Cracking open the first of my '07s

22 ounce bomber bottle, snifter glass.

A - A beautiful deep ruby red. Two full fingers of off white foam sits on top and stays and stays. Really a beautiful looking, deep red, strong ale.

S - I'm noticing a big aroma of pineapple on the nose. Some sweetness in there as well as a sugary malt smell butts in a little with the fruity aromas, finishing with some alcohol coming through to the nose.

T - Smooth and sweet. More fruit flavors kicking up, then leading the way to a bit of a roasty flavor and some hop bitterness. Finish is hop bitterness and a bit of a boozy kick. Very nice, layers upon layers of flavor.

M - This brew coats the mouth well. Really has some substance to it. Full body.

D - A beautiful strong ale sipper. Makes you want more and really feels great in the mouth.

4.78/5  rDev +12.2%

A: Pours an amber, dark red ruby, almost mahogany color with quite a thick, tannish head that doesn't dissipate for a while.

S: Some malty aroma mixed equally well with a large burst of hops, with added bits of small-toned fruit and a hint of alcohol, not nearly as strong as the taste.

T: Very complex; for as strong as the taste is it is a magnificently smooth beer. Well-balanced high amounts of hops and malt, along with a mixture of fruit, pine and hint of toasted caramel and alcohol. Strength of the taste doesn't hit until you have swallowed the swig.

MF: Amazing, relatively thick mouthfeel, keeping in consideration the percent by volume. Just the right amount of carbonation and also with a bit of lingering alcohol as well as a relatively strong aftertaste of hops that will leave you wanting more.

D: Although this beer is heavy on the taste buds, it doesn't seem quite as heavy on the stomach. However, even though the taste is quite great, the sheer strength of this brew will leave you only able to drink a moderate amount of these at a time.

Overall, an impressively strong and tasty brew that has earned quite a bit of my respect for the Stone Brewing Company. Definitely worth it.

4.6/5  rDev +8%

Poured this from a bomber into a pint glass. Beautiful ruby red color, though appeared amber at the top. No head or lacing that I could notice. Smell was nice, but not nearly as potent as it tasted. Lots of citrus and piney notes. Very sweet. The taste was an explosion of flavors, all of them wonderful. Citrus, caramel, burnt sugar, with lots of hops. Both bitter and sweet at the same time. Absolutely amazing and even better when it warmed up a bit (which was easy to do because of the sheer volume and heavyness of the thing). A very heavy drink in alcohol content, mouthfeel, and flavor. I don't recommend having this with Thanksgiving dinner or any other heavy meal because it is so filling. However, on its own, it is an amazing drink that I will look forward to each year. Well worth the price.

4.6/5  rDev +8%

This is an amazing beer. From the 2007 batch and poured into chalice glass. One thing that suprised me (maybe it was the pour) was there was little to no head but a beautiful mahogeny brown and violet color. A thin, off-white layer that lasted shortly and no lacing. Could have been my fault. Smell is very citric, the one that stood out to me was pineapple like. A hint of caramel a small touch of alcohol as well. Taste is incredible, wonderfully complex. Touches of hops, malt, toasted grain, alcohol, and chocolate. A warm feeling is left behind and the first sip will warm your chest in an instance. Low carbonation and a slightly thick mouthfeel and a somewhat oily feeling in the mouth is left behind. Overall this is a great beer and worthy of all of its praises. Only a 4 on drinkability as I want to have another, but a bomber of this is enough.

4.78/5  rDev +12.2%

to start this off well its the best beer ive ever had!!!! when you pour it into a glass its a dark and deep shade of red and has a thick tan head almost like a stout. the smell isnt very overwhelming more misleading than anything because its not near as strong as the taste. the taste is very sweet and hoppy you have some fruit mixed in there and again pretty damn hoppy. the alcohol is mixed very well with the taste it doesnt overwhelm but warms when you take a drink. its a very complex and full but its very drinkable i was actually suprised when i finished it because i was ready for another. shame it costs like 80 dollars a case... i recomend the hell out of this beer but like the bottle warns you must be worthy of it or it will kick your ass haha!

07 release.
Pours a hazy orange-brown color with a slight head. Aroma is of caramel, citrus and fresh bread. Great multitude of flavors here. Toasty malt notes with a caramel, smoky chocolate huskiness that coats the palate. Hops are evident, but are muted in the presence of all the alcohol and malt. Full mouthfeel with medium carbonation. Ends in a viscous, yet biscuity feel that lingers. Alcohol is well integrated into flavor, although you can almost feel it hit your blood once in the ol' gutty works. A double dose of bastard does you good. I approve.

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%

dark maroony amberish on the top and lighter on the bottom. multi-hued for sure. pretty cool looking. cream colored head that had decent retention and good lace. smell wasn't as strong as expected, but still sweeet. just like the taste, the smell was well balanced tropical fruity, grapefruity, mildly piney, roasty, smokey malty. some sweetness too. really came through when quaffed. great body and carbs. almost full body. could drink this all night, and the alcohol is well hidden if you ask me. heard tons of hype about this beer. didn't quite live up to it, but this is another solid solid offering from one of the top dogs. i'll have another please!

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Brand new 2007 bottle.

A: Pours a dark reddish brown, almost maroon, and maybe a little darker than the regular Arrogant Bastard. Thick tannish one finger head.

S: Tons of fruity esters, mostly tropical, and some hops come out as well.

T: Sweet tropical and rich roast malt flavor, fruity and lots of bitterness. The hop flavor itself is citrus, but the bitterness comes out more than the flavor. The balance is just incredible.

MF: So smooth it's almost sickening. Very dry finish that leaves you wanting more. Strong warming, but the alcohol is actually pretty well masked.

D: Just a superbly crafted beer. In some ways, the flavor is a bit more mellow and refined than the Arrogant Bastard, but I think that's just a tribute to the balance this beer has. If not for the alcohol, I could drink this beer all night. Talk about a perfect winter beer though, just grab a glass of this an get a nice fire going in the fireplace, and you'll stay plenty warm. Think I'll head back to BevMo and stock up. I really wanna see how this one ages.

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Picked up a fresh 2007 bottle.

Pours a Dark, dark reddish amber color with a beautiful light brown and foamy head that spills out of the glass and over the side as it builds and builds. A great lacing just splatters the side of the glass. Smell is of hops and some more hops! Grapefruit, and citrus and some earthy hops too. Malty flavor makes for an initial sweetness, followed by an intense bitterness. Crisp carbonation on this beer as well.

Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.