Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

I've been waiting for this one for a while. I was really taken back by the Arrogant Bastard.

Here we go!

A - Ruby mahogany with a dense head not too thick and fades quickly

S - Wow sweet hops. Carmel and malt. Fruity something or another. Maybe grapefruit or something.

T - Hop kick in the back of the throat first. Caramelly malt and fruity sweetness on the tongue.

M - Lively and medium/light body. Warms your mouth after the sip. Almost sits in your chest feeling roasty. The sip seems to coat your mouth with warm sweet hops and caramel. Makes me burpy tho. LOL

D - I'm already thinking about buying another bottle. Very good beer and very enjoyable. The sweetness and hoppyness go well together. I'm really liking this beer. Another great beer from Stone!

YUM!

4.08/5  rDev -4.2%

From the 2007 Release; a 22 oz. bottle, poured to a snifter. For all the Stone beer I've ever tried, this could be the first I've had of the Double Bastard. Oh, the humor in that silk-screened diatribe on the label...

A: Clear, ruddy mahogany. Equivalent of the bottle's brownness and clarity, tinged with a deeper reddish glow. Hardly any head, only a scattering of film whispers and a slim ring of cream. Ominously still, with just the narrowest streams of tiny carbonation...from a distance, could be bourbon in that snifter just as easily as ale. Sliding bits of off-white lace gently fade into the glass.

S: Smells of over-the-top sweetness, hugely malty with caramel and candy. There's some dark fruit in there, syrupy cherry and raisin and a hint of spice. And not all the aromas are big malts; there's a rich, herbally grassy hop nose, too.

T: Sugared malts for certain, but plenty of citrus-orange/tangerine hopping. Lots of caramel, a little on the burnt side with subtle nuttiness. There's a remnant of barrel-like woodiness and a bittering of citrus pith.

M: Big and chewy, warm and thickening, layers of hops and sticky malt on the tongue draw in the cheeks. For a 10% abv beer, this has a pleasing balance and has a heat that's quite subtle. Creamy and smooth, with a carbonation that melts away like butter. Not the cloyingly sweet mouthfeel I've experienced before with Stone's big beers.

D: Big, bold & flavorful...but a sipper that I couldn't finish in one sitting. Hops are intense, sweet malts even moreso - after a half-bottle the flavors become oppressive on the tongue. Still, awfully good - a 'must try' for the big beer enthusiast.

3.7/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Perhaps I would have enjoyed this beer more if I hadn't had it right after the 10th Anniversary DIPA. For that matter, I wonder if Stone has tweaked the recipe over the years, as I've found this beer far more appealing in the past then I did at Frisco's last night.

The beer pours a darkish amber color with very good head retention and lacing. The beer looks quite impressive. On the nose I get sweet malt, cider and roasted nuts. Again, this beer smells very impressive, although the high abv. is noticeable even on the nose. On the palate the beer is sweet, rich and very alcholic, but with a drying hop burn in the finish. The beer is impressive, but frankly I don't feel as if the high abv. blends in all that well with the very sweet malt and hoppiness. I found the beer somewhat tiring on the palate, with this beer coming across as a sweet, but then ultimately very hoppy, barleywine.

The beer is very warming and, while impressive, is just not all that enjoyable. In the same style I much prefer the Bigfoot, where the sweet malt has been dialed down a tad. A good beer, but not what I would call terrific.

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

cool bomber poured into pint glass. appearance is a reddish amber, which completely threw off my expectations of the beer as a double IPA. smell is extremely floral. liquid hops. taste is impressively smooth despite the immense complexity of the hops, which pair nicely with the sweet malty base. it's certainly a big beer.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Local Dough, Tucson, Arizona, $5 for a pint.(!!!)

Appearance: deep hazy reddish to brown, limited light tan head that leaves significant lacing.

Aroma: sweet and caramel, but somewhat limited.

Taste: caramel, distinct hints of smoke, roast, sweet and thick. Hops only come through in the finish/aftertaste, and then are present as a basic, earthy bitterness, but not terribly distinct. Delicious to drink, and easy to drink and enjoy, but not the most dynamic or complex beer: it's really about malt sweetness and malt body.

Mouth: thick, full, sweet, and delicious. Relatively little alcohol burn given the ABV.

Overall: A totally different beer than what I've had in the bottle. If the bomber I have in the fridge at home is significantly different, I'll post another review of it.

4.23/5  rDev -0.7%

22-oz bottle poured into a pint glass (with a bit left for later).

A = Deep reddish brown, good clarity, good thick, tan head consisting of various sized bubbles, leaves good lacing.

S = Rich smell of earth, caramel, roasted malt, hops, sweet floral notes. Very complex, but I wish the scent were stronger. It's there but a little lowkey.

T = Awesome beer. It has very good balance, a rich malty flavor at the start, but then some good hops bitterness appears and carries over into a long finish. Reminds me more of an English Old Ale, than most American brews. Very complex tastes, nuts, cream, bananas, I could go on and on, but it boils down to an exceptional taste.

M = Heavy mouthfeel. This is a substantive beer (like liquid bread). Pleasant light carbonation, giving it a frothy feel when you swallow.

D = The high ABV is the only reason I give this a 4 instead of a 4.5. I love this beer and would happily drink it anytime and would attempt to drink it all night if I could have back about 20 years to relive my misspent youth.

Edit: I cellared several of these and have just had it at one year. The hops floral flavors have definitely faded but the bitterness is still there. The malt has become creamier and I think I prefer it with a year on it. Otherwise just about all of my notes from last year's fresh bottle still apply. Can't wait to see how it is at 2 years.

3.91/5  rDev -8.2%

appearance - Nice reddish color, off whote foamy head that stood around.

smell - Sweet smells here of malt and fruits. Some alcohol present too.

taste - Sweet taste here of fruits and then finished off with a hoppy taste.

mouthfeel - Full body.

drinkability - Had this beer on tap, very good bew. Should come out more often instead of winter.

2007 Release!
#13 that I bought; a case full in the cellar and 1 to be enjoyed! I have always thought that Double Bastard has been easier to drink than Arrogant Bastard. Mainly because of the dominant maltiness that takes the edge off the abundant hops.
Shared this bottle with my neighbor, poured into imperial pint glass.
A - Murkey ruby red with a frothy beige head.
S - Sweet malt with a hint of brown sugar?
T - Sweet malt again. This year's edition doesn't seem as hoppy to me as in the past. Warm alcohol on the end with slight hop.
M - Cloyingly sweet, easy to drink. I guess you would't want to drink too many in a night, because I'm only half way though this bottle and have a buzz!
D - Actually, pleasant and easy to drink. Very seductive to the palate. At 10 ABV, just not too many!
This wonderful brew is #2 on my favorite list! I have a feeling that my case won't last too long!
Go get as much as you can! You can't go wrong!

4.73/5  rDev +11%

Pours a ruby red with a thick head that dissipates into a light coat of froth. As the carbonation struggles to the surface, I begin to wonder what I'm in for.

I inhale a whiff and am in another place. Sweet and strong, this smells like something to be reckoned with. But that's just the start.

The taste... Oh, the taste. The malty sweetness cuts the hop oils, and both linger on the palette, warming the body and bringing a smile to the soul.

You can't drink it all night, but for the time the bottle lasts, it's heaven (or hell) in a glass. Double bastard is everything arrogant bastard wishes it could be.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

2007 release 22 oz. bomber.

Pours a brilliantly clear crimson amber with a khaki colored 1/2" head. Large sized bubbles strangely clinging to most of the inside surface area of the glass - then steadily releasing to move upward - reminds me of what soda looks like. After this little phenomenon is complete, the head reduces to a steady 1/4". Some lacing, but it's thick and chunky.

The scents are very meaty and malty; caramel, juicy figs all mixed with an arousing bright scent of hops and a bit of alcohol. Fresh macerated dark fruits, almost like compote. Toasty dark malts that dance throughout this fruity mosh pit.

My tongue was hit with warm flavors of the aforementioned flavors - reminiscent of a heavy down pillow with a ton of momentum behind it being catapulted to my face. It kinda jumbles your noggin' but doesn't really hurt. A little sweet and syrupy malt presence with a regime of hops blowing up everything in its path. This son of a gun doesn't take any prisoners when it comes to showing up to the party. There's some spiciness in the background with a nice dryness and alcohol warmth lining the inside of my cheeks.

Mouthfeel is quite perfect. Creamy, perfect amount of fine and soft carbonation, prevent this monster from lying dormant. Long flavorful, spicy warm finish. Full body beauty at it's best.

Drinkability is quite dangerous. I'm halfway through this bomber and my mind's not drifting to another offering - it's got my full attention.

This is the very first time I've tried this ale and it definitely lives up to its infamous lore. Man, this baby's got some moxy and gumption - this is no lie. Very full tilt and in a strange way, very balanced and somewhat graceful. This ale sure dishes out some tuff love; sit down, mind your manners, look me in the eye when I'm talking to you and raise your hand when you have a question. Thank you sir, may I have another? <Ouch!>

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

A bomber of this year's double bastard will end better than the last time I drank it in 2002 which ended in coffee mugs being thrown at neighbors houses.

This beer pours a dark ruby brown with some orange highlights. Not much of a head. thin lacing on the outside.

I have a stuffed nose so I cant smell much. But what I do smell is hops, sweet malts, and not much alcohol for being 10%

This beer is better than what I remembered and a deeper taste than the arrogant bastard. Piney stingy, hops, some alcohol, good malt taste, I think this beer is a little hot right now, age this puppy and you'll get a lot more flavors out of this predominantly malty brew.

Excellent beer. If you have one, you like to gamble and it will pay off.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Dark brown with some red highlights. Milky white head. Pretty.

Cherry, prune, grapefruit, some booze, orange juice, coffee, grass clippings, some chocolate, and caramel in the nose.

Huge malt presence upfront: toffee, caramel, almond, and brown sugar. Fruit in the middle from hops as well as esters. Grapefruit dominates but cherry and plum flavors are in there as well. Finishes with some chocolate, roasted flavors and with plenty of bitterness. Complex.

Silky mouthfeel that seems to dance on the tongue. Chewy. I love this beer and find it an excellent winter companion. Warming yet refreshing. Aggressively beautiful. Highly recommended.

4.77/5  rDev +12%

Pours a deep brown/red color. Clear, but some sediment at the bottom. Off white average head that leaves incredible coating of the side of the glass. This is usually an indication of a very malty beer.

SMells incredible. Where is the 10%abv?. Smells bisquity, sweet, spice, even some mild chocolate malts. Yiest smell. Very mellow smell for a "double". But the smells are memorable.

The taste is a surprise from the smell. I smelled no hops. I taste heavy heavy heavy hops. Pine hops with all the oily hop bitterness of a dipa. But, this brew has intense sugars to balance!!! Almost syrupy sweetness. But the bitterness balances any over malt sweetness. Brilliant! I have spices from this brew coming out my nose!!!! Clearing my nostrals!!!! WOW! Ohhhh...ok...there is the alcohol! Almost sips like a barly wine.

Is this brew an DIPA???? Is this brew a barly wine??? Is this brew a Brown ale??? Is this brew a belgem????

WHat is it??? Holy beer world....it is all of these things! ALl blended by the Stone brew makers!

I will call it a kick ass beer!!!

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

To quote from the bomber of Double Bastard Ale-- "Ye shall know the bastard, and the bastard shall set you free." Indeed!

I'm a fan of Stone's beers, since they are usually on the well-hopped side. Double Bastard Ale certainly fits the bill on hops, and malt as well.

I poured most of my bomber into a large 22 oz glass; surprised that it wasn't as "heady" as I remembered from last year. The beer left no lace at all, and actually looked "flat" about half-way through. I'm attributing this to the high ABV-- the beer wasn't flat at all, just appeared that way.

Nicely hopped, great malt finish-- love this brew. Of course, one bomber is plenty for one evening!

Stone, keep brewing your awesome beers!

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Deep amber color with a tan head. Some lacing around the glass.

S: Very hoppy. Lots of citrus with a hint of apple.

T: Upfront hop bitterness. Lots of citrus flavors mix well with a very alcoholic bite. Finishes somewhat sweet.

M: Thick and syrupy.

D: A delicious beer but drinkability is not high. A 10% brew in a 22 oz bomber certainly packs a punch. Overall however, highly recommended.

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

Had this beer on-tap at Frisco Grille in Columbia, MD

A: Amber color, thin but fairly creamy white head. Nice lacing on inside of glass after drinking.

S: Slight hop aroma (citrus and apple components).

T: Initial sweetness (reminded me a bit of sour apple), then the hop bitterness and alcoholic warmness hits you all at once, settling into a fairly bitter aftertaste. Stone must have used a truckload of bittering hops - as a hop-head it was awesome.

M: Malt sweetness on the tongue that is immediately overwhelmed by the hop and alcohol components.

D: A very good beer, especially if you like lots of hops and tend toward the higher gravity brews, as I do. If not, this will probably be too bitter for you.

4.6/5  rDev +8%

Dark amber brown with a smallish head that dissipates to a layer of fine bubbled foam. Smells malty and sweet with some hint of pine. Massive taste with tons of malty caramel sweetness and hoppy undertones. A very pleasant finish. Feels thick and viscous in the mouth with enough carbonation to create a great feel. I can see why this is such a highly rated beer. It deserves all the accolades it receives.

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2006 Vintage - growler filled tonight so nice and fresh (so to speak..)!

A: Cloudy reddish dark amber color with a 1 finger white head that mostly dies.

S: Caramel and toffee. Some hops, but the smell is mostly dominated by the malt.

T: Delicious. Strong caramel/toffee malt base is nicely complemented by mostly piny hops. This beer achieves much better balance with some age on it. Right here, this is nice. My favorite is still probably around 5 years old, but give it at least a year and you will be happy. Too raw fresh in my opinion (and this coming from someone who quite enjoys Sam Adams Triple Bock and Dogfish Head 120 Minute). Trust me, give this a year or three to age.

M&D: Thick, rich and viscous, but still very drinkable. Nice.

Recommended. Obviously, not everyone can try this one aged for 5 years. But, I highly recommend sticking a bottle away for about 2 years. You will be rewarded with a beer that goes from an interesting, strong, but not that great beer to a strong, but balanced, integrated and mellow strong ale that deserves the rating it gets. This is one beer I've had enough of to feel confident in saying that. Prost!

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a deep dark mahogany brown with rusted red accents into my chalice. It has a thin tan head that quickly disappeared with little to no lacing to speak of on the glass. The smell is dominated by sweet malt and dark fruits coming through. The scent of alcohol and pineapple is present as well about mid-chalice. Sugary malt, pine, dark fruit, and a touch of citrus run across my palate. There is a great deal going on with this beer. Rich malted tones and a smoky caramel are the most dominant flavors to me in this beer. I served this beer at cellar temp and still somehow this beer tends to gain more life the warmer it gets. The sweetness of the malt and bitterness of the hops is very well balanced and well made. The taste is in your face the whole time and in no way subtle, but the balance is really a nice surprise. This beer is a very nice sipper and coats the mouth and tongue very well with it's stickiness. After finishing the bomber I don't really want another one right now and I wouldn't drink this beer with a meal most likely. It is very heavy and quite filling. I know the American strong ale category is a bit of made up category to fill a large variety of beers that craft brewers are making, but the flavors on this beer actually reminded me of a good barleywine.All in all great offering.

3.53/5  rDev -17.1%

2007 bottle that I am finishing as I review.

A-Great appearance on this brew. The body is a beautiful transparent deep mahogany color. Moderate pour produces an aggressive 3 finger light beige colored head. Head slowly fades to 1 finger with a smooth and creamy look (in a standard glass) and has great retention. Plenty of lacing is left behind.

S- Nose is promising with aggressive citrus and piny hop aromas fighting for dominance with a harsh spiciness. A big presence of alcohol looms in the background. No malt detected in the nose.

T-Initial taste is almost sweet. Caramel and chocolate malts are present with an accent of citrus hop flavor. A big spiciness bursts forth for the finish and the flavors present for the initial flavor vanish and are replaced with a big hop bitterness and a large kick of alcohol. A slight alcohol warmth lingers with nothing to accompany it with the exception of an aggressive (of medium strength...nothing too powerful or overwhelming) hop bitterness that lingers on and on and never goes away. The taste is wonderful at the beginning but ends slightly below average. Overall an average taste.

M- Medium to high stinging carbonation that temporarily vanishes but reappears for the swallow (very interesting). Body is thick and sticky-loaded with hops, caramel malt, and alcohol...but still has a pleasurable smoothness.

D- Drinkability gets an "above average" score from me. The taste is average but this brew screams "American Strong Ale" in almost every category. Its slightly more enjoyable than regular AB but is nowhere near oaked AB (which seems to take everything arrogant about the AB lineup and make it more smooth and mature). I enjoy reading the long-winded arrogant description on the back of these bottles but this honestly does not stand out to me as a superior ASA. I'm glad I was able to sample this bottle-but my choice from the AB lineup is still oaked AB.

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A bottle of the 2007 poured into my snifter. This beer pours a dark, clear brown color with ruby highlights when held to the light. The frothy looking tan head is about an inch thick. Eventually settles to a nice frothy surface cover with very nice lacing. Deep, malty and hop aromas are present with citrus as well and of course a bit of alcohol. Flavors of sweet, roasted malt and bitter pine hops are present first and foremost. Good balance. The taste of alcohol is also present along with hints of caramel. Excellent! Has a nice thick, frothy and crisp mouthfeel. Full body and moderate carbonation. I becomes more drinkable as it warms. I can't wait to do a vertical tasting with the '06 I have been cellaring. A great beer overall! Truly a piece of craft brewing art here!

Eric

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a gorgeous, very cloudy reddish-brown color. Thick, two finger off white head sits on top. Excellent retention. Lacing was thick and lined the mug.

Smell: Very fruity on the nose initially. There are a few citrus scents (grapefruit was apparent). Perhaps a touch of dark fruit as well. Piney hops are noticeable though not as pronounced as the fruit aromas. A bit of brown sugar and malts blend in. Perhaps a slight bit of toasted nut as well.

Taste: Wow. Brown sugar and citrus flavors provide an inital sweet taste. Hops are piney and bitter. Malts give it a little balance, but it's nice and bitter. Very well blended in my opinion. There is a nice vanilla taste that I was not picking up on the nose. Nice, bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's medium bodied. Carbonation is excellent. At 10%, it's strong, but perfect for this beer. Extremely smooth for a big beer. I could probably drink this all night if I wouldn't pass out. Very aggressive and big in character. Another Stone classic.

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%

Whew! I am not sure that I am worthy. Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass. Appears to be an ice tea color that is both clear and opaque. It is topped by a very creamy tan head about a finger tall that drops to a thin crown and leaves pretty decent lacing.

Once poured the aroma comes at you from across the room, powerfully. The aroma is sweet fruits and strong alcohol. The taste is heavy, sweet malts and medium to high hop flavors, topped off by a pretty strong alcohol flavor. In my opinion, there is some strong leafy, hop bitterness that is both tart and sweet.

The mouthfeel is not easy on the palate, but attacks it with ample carbonation and strong hop bitterness. This one is all that you would expect from the name and label.

2.65/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Poured a dark amber color with little to no head and no lacing. Not a very impressive start.

Smelled mostly of alcohol and some pine. Maybe a tiny bit of citrus.

Tasted like the smell. Not nearly as complex as I was expecting. Mainly alcohol dominated with some pine thrown in. I even waited a while for it to warm but really the only thing that seemed to get stronger was the alcohol taste.

Good mouthfeel. Very smooth with a medium to slightly thick body. Not much carbonation however.

I couldn't see drinking very many of these. It just didn't beckon me back for another round.

A friend of mine from Europe visited this site recently and commented that he felt that a lot of folks seemed to give high marks for a beer based mainly on the machismo factor, a high ABV content. After reading the reviews of this beer and then tasting it, that's the first thought that came to my mind. I will revisit this beer again for another try, not because I wanted more, but because perhaps I had a bad bottle. I'm definitely in the minority here but this beer was quite a letdown from what I was expecting.

4.78/5  rDev +12.2%

Cracking open the first of my '07s

22 ounce bomber bottle, snifter glass.

A - A beautiful deep ruby red. Two full fingers of off white foam sits on top and stays and stays. Really a beautiful looking, deep red, strong ale.

S - I'm noticing a big aroma of pineapple on the nose. Some sweetness in there as well as a sugary malt smell butts in a little with the fruity aromas, finishing with some alcohol coming through to the nose.

T - Smooth and sweet. More fruit flavors kicking up, then leading the way to a bit of a roasty flavor and some hop bitterness. Finish is hop bitterness and a bit of a boozy kick. Very nice, layers upon layers of flavor.

M - This brew coats the mouth well. Really has some substance to it. Full body.

D - A beautiful strong ale sipper. Makes you want more and really feels great in the mouth.

Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.