Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,042 | Hads: 6,359
2.55/5  rDev -40.1%

Honestly, I had to double check this beer was fresh I found it so unenjoyable. But being bottled on 9/06/13 an 11% ABV beer should be fresher than fresh. Just a gross alcohol malt bomb with hardly any hop bitterness that isn't just completely burned to shit by all the alcohol taste. Sort of syrupy, and I have no idea how this is classified as ASA rather than a Barleywine. This almost makes me not want to try to the Southern Charred that should be hitting shelves soon. (472 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Appearance - nice nutty brown

Smell - probably fine. I have no nose.

Taste - excellent - a rather bold, hoppy strong ale. Punches you in the face.

Mouthfeel - very nice, slightly oily. Kind of like a barleywine.

Overall - I think I like the attitude more than the beer, but I do like the beer quite a bit. I just don't think it lives up to its own presentation. I feel the same way about Arrogant Bastard. It's a beer I really enjoy but I think that the bottles lead me to expect more. (489 characters)

4.14/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bottle from Bert's
Pours a brilliantly clear deep copper color with a decent sized off white head that shows moderate retention and lace. Aromas of pine resin and grapefruit pith atop brown sugary caramel and hints of cheery and toffee. The flavor is heavy on the pine, resin and brown sugar. Slight warming alcohol warns of the abv. Caramel, toffee, light plum and prune round out the flavor. Assertive hop bitterness but never harsh. Medium to thick body with a light to moderate level of carbonation and a sweet slick almost syrupy mouthfeel. Very nice strong ale, I enjoyed sipping on this for most of the night. (617 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Appearance: opaque brown with ruby highlights. Tan head, good lacing.

Aroma: Resinous charamel malt character, assertive citrus peel/tropical fruit hop character.

Flavor: First swig, smacked in the face with piney, citrus peel, astringent hop bitterness. Toasty, sweet malt character is present but totally covered. Alcohol is fairly present.

Mouthfeel: Harsh, lingering bitterness, and warming booze in a full bodied, chewy beer.

Overall: The bastard line "won" the race to the bottom in bitterness. It was intriguing to me early in my craft beer career, but today it's not something I desire. (602 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A- A light tea color or rusty look. Nice head that holds. Lacing on glass is excellent.

S- Big hop and malt, maybe a little toffee or caramel

T- Big malt presence. Nice hop notes begin to kick in midway. I get a little sweet taste that is caramel like. Very good tasting beer.

M- Medium to mildly full bodied and heavy malt presence. Good carbonation. Alcohol is noticeable, but I do not mind that.

O- A very good beer. I look forward to the release of this every year. I usually get several bombers to last a a few months. A good end of the evening beer to enjoy slowly. (575 characters)

4.21/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottled 9/6/13.

A: Pours a deep, deep red with brown highlights. Tall, fizzy light brown head. Head fizzes out pretty quickly. Almost no lacing. Decent retention at least.

S: Super malty aroma. Rich with raisins and caramel primarily. Brown sugar too I'd say. Loads of dark fruits when swirls. Raisins of course but I swear I get dates too. Plums? Very fragrant. Big stale bread notes from the malt.

T: Lots of heavy dark bread. Like a molasses-based bread. Dark fruits but more subdued here as compared to the aroma. Raisiny with a little toffee. The combination is reminiscent of raisin bread in fact - just missing the cinnamon. Minor wave of bitterness in the finish. Definitely some hops in here but I think the big malt obliterates their flavor. Maybe hints of resin and pine? Lots of spicy alcohol lends a fairly dry and almost numbing aftertaste.

M: Pretty heavy but the sharp alcohol cuts it down nicely. Balances out I think.

O: It seems everything Stone makes is very hoppy but I was definitely taken aback by this one. This is a malt bomb instead. Sweet and bready. Heavy alcohol warming the belly. I will have to get some more to age, I think this one will morph nicely over the years. Right now it's quite hot. And I like hot beers! A good accessible strong ale for sure, one of the better out there. (1,320 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - Pours a dark ruby and crimson with a towering three fingers of head that sat above the rim in my snifter. Fluffy lace and big stick. Head retains to a chunky cap around the glass.

S - Malty, woody, booze, citrus, pine, brown sugar, molasses. Big nose on this.

T - Malty, citrus hops, molasses, figs, caramel, strong boozey flavor in the back end - not bourbon, more like vodka. Tasted HOT to me. Full bodied and a chunky mouth feel.

O - This brew is not for the faint of heart. Really good, but tasted a bit hot for me and I would love to put one in the cellar and try again in a year or two. (602 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I've many of the Stone beers, but this one has escaped me. I will pick up another bottle to cellar without question. A lot of complex flavors. I was a bit worried, because the last couple of time that I had Arrogant Bastard. It was then stellar. It was once one of my favorites, but perhaps I've had a few bad batches.

As for Double Bastard. I will cellar this one. The alcohol taste plays a big part. The normal flavoring comes out caramel, toffee. Raisins strong, also a very slight citrus, or orange zest in this one.

A: Pours an orange, but more of a red. Finger of head with aggressive pour. Moderate lacing, fairly minimal retention. Carbonation appears moderate. Beer is just shy of being clear. Some haziness.

S: Big, bruising toffee malts. Lot of spice from the hops. Citrus, floral in combination with the large malt presence. The smell is kind of the opposite of what you taste.

Take this beer slow. (916 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -4%

A- Dark red-copper body, two finger offwhite head with good retention. Spots of lacing.

S- Grapefruit, dark fruit, toffee, caramel and floral aromas. Grass and pine linger. Extremely strong hop aromas but also very strong sweet malty aromas. All very clean.

F- Lots of grapefruit, but the toffee and caramel and even a bit of boozy sweetness pops out hard. When I say hard, it actually pops and stings my mouth. Lots of floral, grassy and pine bitterness from the middle and on after that, which overall creates a balance between bitter and sweet. But both bitter and sweet are there in full intensity.

M- Medium bodied, good carbonation, smooth and sticky with what seems like hop resins. Mild warming presence on the backend along with grassy and piney bitterness slowly desisting. But reluctantly. Very bitter and intense.

O- Bloody robust strong ale with a crapload of hops and malts. This is pretty tasty, but this is a tough one to drink large amounts of. (966 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -24.6%

2013 vintage. Bottled on 9/14/13. 22oz bottle poured into a snifter. Pours a hazy copper with a fluffy off-white head that fades and leaves great lacing and retention. The aromas are loaded with sweet caramel malts. Lots of orange zest. Lots of lemon. The flavors are extremely bold. Tons of caramel with hints of toffee. There's a nice amount of citrus. It's pretty boozy. Lots of pine resin. The malts and hops are definitely battling eachother for supremacy. It's pretty spicy. It finishes hot. Mouthfeel is very nice. It's full-bodied with active carbonation. Very smooth and creamy. Alcohol is definitely noticeable. This is a quintessential sipper.

This beer is named appropriately. I've had it before, but never this fresh. It's a hardcore brew. It's ultimately just a huge beer. There's too many alcohol notes for my taste. It's still fun to drink. I will say it starts off rough around the edges, but it comes together the more you drink it. It's well crafted though, just like all of Stone's beers. I absolutely understand the appeal. This beer is a good one to throw in the cellar. I might re-review this one with an aged bottle in the future. (1,155 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

22 oz. bottled poured into a pub glass.

A – Tea brown, almost rust with head that doesn't stop. Left gorgeous laces during consumption. Opaque, with sediment.

S – Slight hops and malty. Hints of Chocolate, maybe some toffee

T – Complex flavor, though maybe a little over powered by the malt and alcohol. Drinks very slowly. Reminds me of a malty quadrupel, but with some serious punch. Bourbon ale almost.

M – Thick and malty. At least, as far as I can tell, being a newb and all. Very strong beer, complex flavors, not for the faint of heart.

O - I've seen reviews describe this beer as being like a scotch ale, but I feel it is heavier than that. It truly reminds me of a cross between a quadrupel and a bourbon ale. It drinks very slowly, this is the kind of beer you'd be best sipping, to take in all it has to offer without getting your teeth knocked out. Isn't overly powerful with alcohol, but you know its there. It's 11.2%, so it is definitely there. The bottle says, "It is unequivocally certain that your feeble palate is grossly inadequate and thus undeserving of its liquid glory, and it may be right, for now. I am a fan of Arrogant Bastard, though the Double Bastard may be a little much for me this time around. Maybe I should warm up a little next time before getting my posterior handed to me.... But there will be a next time. (1,363 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drink this beer like a whiskey:)

This is one of the slowest drinking beers I have ever tasted.

Poured in a Stone Double Bastard Glass. Perfect glass. Light tea brown, with a 1/2F head.

Aroma: toffee, candy, caramel. Surprising for a stone beer- similar to Scotch ale.

Mouth feel: to the max- carbonated, pungent- over the top.

Taste: unlike any beer I have tasted. Initially- toffee, candy, followed by a Tsunami of hops and bitterness, slight alcohol.

There is no brewery like Stone. Like their beers or not- they are a singular sensation in the beer world. (564 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

2013 vintage. Served in a snifter.

The formidable Double Bastard Ale is a dark, maple brown with crimson highlights, ecru colored and bubbly foam sits at about a finger's width.

There are some strong fragrances rolling from this glass: a very noticeable booze characteristic like port, raisin, and even a little resin.

The palate keeps rolling with the same in your face essence that dominated the nose. That huge and boozy port characteristic rides into the finish with a growing bitterness. Underneath the intensity, I can detect some raisin and date flavors, really adds to the complexity of the beer. Double Bastard is definitely sweet, but you have to get past the booze and bitterness first.

The feel is very hefty and creamy, a little dry as well.

Overall, this beer is intense. I can see why so many people recommend putting some age on this one. It is a great beer fresh, just really intense! (907 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

From notes.

A: Pours an almost tawny orange. Finger of head with aggressive pour. Moderate lacing, fairly minimal retention. Carbonation appears moderate. Beer is just shy of being clear. Some haziness.

T: Again with the malts. Big toffee, rustic spiciness, citrus drops in mid palate and the hops take over momentarily. Floral notes ride the malt through the finish, but the malt ultimately wins out. Finishes borderline hot from the alcohol. Aftertaste is mildly spicy, with some soapiness.

M: Huge beer. However, it maintains the balance. Hops would be overwhelming in almost any other brew, but the large and well structured malts keep everything lock stepped here.

O: Delicious. They really nailed this one. It's twice the beer of Arrogant Bastard. Twice as malty, twice as hoppy, but still so devilishly balanced. Killer offering. (965 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This beer was totally different from any beer I have ever tasted. It kind of kicked my ass. Very strong alcohol taste. Burned going down like a shot of whiskey. It was good, but not what I'm looking for in a beer. I can see how some other people might like it , but it's not for me. (282 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Served from bomber in snifter.

A. Great color. nice copper,dark red color that lightens towards the head. less than a hlf finger head, the head seems to be reddish from the beer. Great color, and look absolutely beautiful.

S. smells of dark fruit, smells a lot like a Quad!!! amazing, except for the Belgian yeast smell, its all quad smelling.

T. Plums, dark fruit, nutty, spices, not much hops if any.

M. highly carbonated, a slight burn. Overall good.

O. Overall I love, very malty strong ale taste, yet very dark fruity quad taste . a more original taste on the strong ale. (581 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a wide mouth chalice.

A: Nice deep copper. Thick head, lasts for quite some time. Nearly opaque, no suspended solids. Carbonation is minimal. Has some minor legs.

S: fruit, tart cherries. Dank musty tropical fruit. Has some aromatic hydrocarbon notes. mild malt notes. Mostly fruit notes.

T: strong fruity notes. like a Belgian with more character and attitude. Hazelnut, some undertones of nuttiness, slightly bitter.

M: Creamy as heck. phenolic notes at outbreath. filling. tart fruit. some bitter notes at finish. complex.

O: I like this very much. complex,sweet, bitter, dry... hits all the notes! (618 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had this beer on tap at a local craft beer store. Pours with nice tan colored head that lasts and has good lacing. beer is a brownish copper color. Has a nice aroma. Very strong taste of alcohol of coarse due to 11% content. Hops leave a bitter aftertaste lingering in your mouth. Overall a well brewed beer, but a little too bitter for my taste. (346 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +4.2%

Shared a 22 oz. bottle with C and R and my home tasting some beers. I've have this in my beer frig for a while and I've been waiting to taste it. Pours a brown copper color with a 1 1/2 finger head that lasts for a long time.

A: Pours a beautiful brown, copper color with a dark tan head about 1 1/2 fingers of head that is dark tan. It has beautiful lacing that covers the entire glass. This is perfect.

S: Smell of malt, citrus and some floral hops. Smell of alcohol is obvious.

T: Taste is really great: sweet malt, brown sugar, grapefruit and then other tastes of dark cherry and prune.

M: This is thick. Creamy with medium carbonation. It goes down good...maybe too good because that smell of alcohol is present and you know you should sip it. It's just so good.

O: I think this beer is fantastic! I would have is again and I would have it again! It really hits you, though, you know, that alcohol hits you. It was a wonderful experience. (948 characters)

If only every beer tasted this good! This beer was truly outstanding. The essay on this bottle did a better job explaining this beer than I ever could lol. There is so much flavor in this beer-it is ridiculous! A very layered and dark ale. Your tongue is having the time of its life as all of these flavors come out. A high ABV= a happy me. <3 Liquid arrogance <3 (369 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

I've had this bad boy fresh and love it as such (easily 4.50/5.00). However, I wanted to see how one would age and thus I am reviewing the 2011 edition.

Pours a dark, burnt amber color with a two finger off-white head. Soft ruby highlights. It's a very pretty color and extremely attractive in a snifter.

The nose opens up with a touch of sherry. At first, this concerned me that oxidization set in and ruined what was once a fine ale. However, my concern was quelled. While it does have a slight sherry presence, there is still hops pulling through, and the malt stands on its own.

Dark fruits and piney, citrus hops play lead. The hops are still capable of crushing your palate a bit, but in a svelte way. Smooth and lacks the hotness that is present when it is fresh. For this reason, I'd say the aged version is slightly easier to drink so long as you are willing to forgo the deep, fresh hop flavor. However, by doing so, its power is yielded a bit.

Depending on your poison, you can drink this young to get the full hop bomb effect or age it for a while and watch it transform into something akin to a barleywine. Excellent either way. Great with blue cheese, honey, and crackers. A great sipper. (1,209 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - Muddy brown copper color. Off white head that sticks around with a nice lacing on the glass.

S - Nice warm smell, bread, caramel, hoppy background, vanilla

T - Big alcohol up front, same bread and caramel as in the smell, molasses, vanilla, hops in the background (grapefruit, pine, citrus zest).

M - The alcohol is not well covered at all in this one. It's pretty bitter, with some pine/grapefruit/citrus hops. Aftertaste is bitter pine with a solid caramel malt background.

O - I don't know if I would say this should be so highly rated. For 6-7 dollars a bomber it gets the job done, but I don't like saying that with regards to beer. It's got a cool name, and it's available everywhere, it just doesn't have what I want in a beer. Too much alcohol, not enough flavor. (781 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

Appearance is a muddy brownish-copper with a thin layer of head. The nose is rich with malty goodness. The upfront taste is also malty and hearty. The sweet finish also carries with it a slight kiss of alcohol heat. There is also a trace of hoppiness that nicely co-mingles with the sweet malts.

This is a complex sipper that paired well with my black diamond steak. (367 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

2012 bottle poured deep amber red with a brownish head that produced 2 inches of lacing. The aroma is a boozy malt with caramel undertones. You can just sense that it going to be a boozy syrup. Taste is sweet, Carmel, brown sugar, syrup, charred grapefruit. Mouthfeel thick, creamy, syrupy, spicy aftertaste from the booze head.

Overall awesome complexity and balance. A bit hot on the booze and looking forward to more age on this one (436 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

From my tasting notes on a 2012 bottle: The Double Bastard poured a deep amber ruby color with a tan head that produce significant lacing. The aroma is a boozy malt with citrus and floral hops coming from everywhere. The taste was incredible. Thick and syrupy malt at the front with plenty of bitter hops to balance it out in the end. It is a unique brew with a heaviness and maltiness to be a barley wine but loads of hops to keep it directly on the Stone Brewing map. The Double Bastard was bracingly bitter but boozy and smooth all in one bastardly package. What a great beer. (579 characters)

Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.