Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,041 | Hads: 6,357
4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

Another winner from StoneBrew.

Appearance: pours a nice dark colour, almost like a creamy cola. When held to light, it has a very deep, intense red with a hint of brown.

Nose: Has a very clean smell to it, like a good French red. Very complex.

Taste: Lots of flavour, hits of deep fruits like fig. Feels nice on the palate.
Has a bit of an aftertaste, which is probably due to the high alcohol (10%). I bet this could go well with some hard cheese and wheat crackers. I'd say it's not as malty as the regular bastard; this one is more creamy.

Like a good wine, I found this opened up after a few minutes. I left my bottle out after opening it (serving from a Stella Artois promo tulip glass), and found more flavours as it got slightly warmer.

This was a good buy. Try it! (790 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +9.6%

Stone Double Bastard Ale
2005 Release
22 oz brown bottle
Served in an Allagash tulip glass

Pours a reddish brown color. Very nice thick, rocky head on top that leaves trails of sticky lacings all over the glass.

Malts, citrus and cherries in the nose. As this beer warms up, it reveals more intensity. Whiffs of apricot, pineapple juice and burnt sugars.

Very rich, sweet, chewy and plentiful mouthfeel. Complex mouthfeel with hints plums and different fruits. I mainly taste cherry sweetness and grapefruit tartness with an alcohol sharpness. Mouth puckering hop blast on the finish. Classic Stone presence with every sip. These guys do it right, no question about it.

Awesome beer. I paired it up with some Monterey jack with jalapeno cheese and it worked together beautifully. This beer is no joke at 10.0% ABV. Enjoy its complexity and respect the powerful profile. Recommended. (898 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -4%

Sheer malt goodness in a 22 ounce bottle, served in my Duvel tulip. Poured a pretty mahogany brown with a one-finger head that collapsed quickly to a layer of foam atop the beer. I was able to see through the beer with some backlighting. Smelled of citrus (orange -- curacao?), malt, sugar... smelled SWEET. Slight alcohol scent. Tasted sweet, malty, toffee-ish, a touch of chocolate. Bready. Notable but not overpowering bitterness. Balanced. Malty finish followed up by pleasant bitter aftertaste. A slight hint of something -- cherries? -- in the aftertaste, too. Mouthfeel was like liquid bread, encouraged me to savor this brew in a manner befitting its ABV. Drinkability was good for ABV. Alcohol not as overpowering and beer not as bitter as I'd expected.

All in all, a beer I can now say I love. Unfortunately, it's pretty tough to get in Seattle this year (the distributor only got 25% what they got last year!) so I won't be drinking much. In fact, I was only able to order one 3-liter bottle for my store, no 22's! (1,028 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Once again -- the Double Bastard -- 2005 release

Poured from a bomber into a tulip.

Looks: A very good looking beer -- the deepest orange, with reds and browns poking through. Off-white nearly tan head about two fingaz high, recedinging into decent (though by nomeans great) lacing.

Smeels like: Pine and malt and big citrus and, well, frankly, it smells like really good beer. There is enough alcohol present in the nose to cut any sweetness and balance the beer out.

Taste: I said the smell was balanced; not the taste. Double Bastard has essentially the best bittering you are going to find in any commercial beer. This is not the "smooth" bitterness that so many DIPA newbies claim to want -- this is the rough-hewn stuff of legends. Within the first sip, your mouth knows full well who exactly is in charge.

The malts are succulent and sweet enough (think plums and figs rather than berries and tropical) but this is a hop foreward brew. Again, the alcohol cuts in and makes itself known, but there is no "hotness." The hops though, are really about as good as it gets. I think in a year's time, I would be rating this beer even higher.

Mouthfeel: The harshness of the hops does interfere with the swallow. That, and for a Strong Ale (this is a barleywine, Bros) I would like things a bit thicker. Still, I love it.

Overall: A longtime favorite that I have neglected for too long. Double Bastard is the highlight beer of a great brewery that all Americans and beer-lovers the world round should be proud of. And those hops... Yeah, Double your pleasure; Double your Bastard. (1,601 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -11.3%

2004 Vintage, aged one year in my makeshift closet cellar. I'm amazed how unphased it was, and for that matter how little it changed or quieted down. I'm sure with how wickedly potent this is in terms of hot booze and hops it could remain brash after a decade.

Comes out of the bottle a cherry-hued amber. An ivory sea-foam head politely rests atop the glowing DB, leaving the faintest lines of lace.

For how brash this beer is, the nose really doesn't reflect its intensity. Somewhat subtle; slight hints of licorice, dough, baker's yeast, cherries, paste, a metallic twinge.

This is astonishingly 'big' in flavor though. Many of the aromas hinted at were nowhere to be found on the palate, most of which I noticed had directly to do with ethyl alcohol. Hot shots of hop-vodka. Watermelon and cranberry hints are there too, but below the caustic hop and booze attack.

Like biting into a live wire...high-voltage shocks of alcohol and hop cones. Doesn't have the addictibility of Bigfoot et. al, but will sure put an end to your insomnia. (1,050 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

Appearance – I decided to celebrate having tomorrow off and my 100th review by drinking this bomber, dated 2004, which I recently picked up at Luke’s. Poured into my snifter it is hazy dark red/brown beer with a one finger off-white head. Good spotty lacing, but poor retention.

Smell – Even at a year old this still has a lot of hops, slightly resinous pine for the most part. Definite alcohol presence as well along with some sweet toasted malt. This has calmed down a good deal since my last bottle of 04 last December.

Taste – Sweet toasted malt balanced by piney hop bitterness, a classic combination on steroids. While the flavor is big it is close to balanced, but the bitterness still has an edge to it that lingers. The alcohol is slightly fusel and warming, but definitely not as powerful as it was when the beer was fresh. Good flavor, but it doesn’t have the complexity that I have come to expect from big beers.

Mouthfeel – Completely full with medium carbonation.

Drinkability & Notes – Tasty beer, could have used a few more months, but good as is. The last time I had this beer I was still early in the craft beer life, I found 1/3 of a bottle nearly undrinkable, judging from my opinion tonight either I or the beer have come quite a long way. Am I the only one who wants to see Oaked Double Bastard? That would be excellent. (1,362 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from a bomber into an imperial pint.

This beer is pretty pretty pretty. Dark red with some gold, if a paint company made Double Bastard Red, I'd repaint my kitchen. With a moderately hard pour this produced a one-finger off-white head, and lace hung around for the entire time I was drinking this one (granted there was a repour when I added the rest of the bomber to the 4 or 5 ozs. in my glass). But still, for a 10% abv. beer this lacing hung around for a really long time.

Smell is very sweet with vinous notes, as well as fruity stuff going on like in a really good Belgian strong dark ale. That said, there are a lot of really refreshing hops in this too. Also, a ton of alcohol in the nose too. Very vinous alcohol presence. But it doesn't detract from the wonderful aroma of this one at all.

Sweet merciful crap, this is very sweet upfront, and very bitter in the finish. Literally perfect balance of hops, malt and alcohol. Every element of the taste of this beer only serves to enhance the other. The taste is a little intimidating at the beginning of the bottle, but after the first couple of sips, it's really just wonderful. Very fruity and sweet, but backed with really big bitter, but refreshing hop presence.

Mouthfeel is perfect, heavy and substantial, but still really pleasant and refreshing.

This is too drinkable, I haven't yet finished my bomber, and I'm very much tipsy (almost just typed "tupsy," for example and I'm having to use the backspace button way more often than I do normally). But I still really do want more. Any beer that makes you want to drink more despite the fact that you're alone and tipsy is just too drinkable. It's not sessionable for this reason, and also, it's bitter and huge enough that if I had a kolsch right now, I don't know that I'd be able to taste anything. This really does kind of destroy your palate for awhile.

But geez, it's worth it. I bought two bombers, and I'm definitely buying more before it's gone for this year. (2,006 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%

I grabbed a couple bombers of the highly anticipated, highly saught after Double Bastard 2005 at MCAS Miramar for $3.99 no tax or deposit.

Poured a dark reddish brown with a thick froathy tan head. Great fizzy bubbly lacing.

Smells great. malty sweetness. Fruity like raisin and wine.

Nice on the palate, very thick malt taste, very sweet followed by a huge bitter finish that stick to the tongue like a dry red wine. Does DB fall under the barley wine category? I can feel the ABV almost instantly. Very good but not a session beer.

In my opinion BD is better served at a warmer temp the bitterness fades a little and the flavors come out more. (Maybe it's just the ABV hitting me!) This one is very big in flavor and ABV making it a sipper.

Cheers! (766 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -19.5%

When I tried Double Bastard in Nov. of 2004. I was just getting into American craft ale. I had liked Belgians before then but was still a little hesitant about IPA's. (too strong) This beer was a turning point for me then: I really loved it and thought it was the most crazy, strongest beer I had ever had. In 12 months time I have drank so much craft brew, gotten into to crazy hoppy beers, and the IPA become my favorite style. (but I still love me them Belgians)
Upon tasting the 2005 version one of three things has happened.
1. My palette has changed so much that this isn't even that hoppy at all.
2. They changed the recipe a lot.
3. I just spent the weekend at the toronado wet hop fest and "balanced" beers will never taste hoppy again.
The rant on the back really seems uncalled for. This is a nice mellow barely wine with a bit of hop bite. I really am enjoying it but am surprised by how mellow it is, both my memory and by the rant on the bottle. That, and all the hype that there was a shortage and Bev mo has 20 cases of the stuff...worried for nothing. Anyways I think it's a combo of 1,2 and 3 for me. This beer will be now be reviewed on if I had drank it for the first time.
appearance: poured into a tulip glass, double bastard is red, blood red, but much more transparent than red wine. still it's pretty thick and the head lasts pretty long for a beer of this strength.
smell: alcohol dominates for me. work a little harder and I smell some nice malts. good for style i suppose.
taste: first taste was a shock how smooth it was, not how crazy. But it's good. Reminds me of cognac. I think Arrogant is hoppier than this one. The alcohol is dominant again....which gets more and more cloying. The beer is not sweet, nor is it hoppy. Ok there is some sweetness, but it is drowed by alcohol. VERY, alcoholic tasting.
mouthfeel: is quite watery.
drinkability: I have to be honest and say that this beer is getting on my nerves. Once a year is plenty.
Well I'm glad I had a bottle, but that Jubale in my fridge is actually sounding more fun than the rest of this bottle. I know that this beer has been changed in BA from a Double IPA, to an American Barleywine, to an American Strong Ale. I'd like to say in my mind it's almost a Winter Warmer, yes strong enough to be a barleywine. But I could see packing a bottle of this stuff on a backpacking trip. (2,390 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +12.7%

Ah yes, '05 Double B... so good.
Pours a deep dark red and makes a thin offwhite head, leaves a very slight lacing that eases its way down my glass and leaves a syrupy residue on the sides. Aroma of caramelized brown sugar, pine and a hint of citrus. Flavor has notes of caramel, sweet brown sugar, strong pepper spice, strong bittering hoppy character. Opens full bodied with a thick sweet palate, finishes slightly dry, nicely done. This first bomber went down way too easy, I would get another... but call me well done, perhaps I'm not worthy! (547 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

Just procured my first of 2005's batch of this perennial favourite. Poured from the familiar bomber, this year's diatribe posessing an uptick on the virol, which is great. "Call 'em out and line 'em up against the wall" indeed...into the tulip it goes. Gorgeous mahogany colour, maybe a finger of head that seems to be going rather quickly.
...nose carries a plethora of hop, but also a deep, almost sweet character - heavy fruits, some alcohol. Not suprising at 10%. Head dissipates somewhat quickly.
...hops come big and fast in the first taste. Long, consistent follow through on the tongue - 20 seconds after the sip as I type this I'm still tasting it! Resious, with some slight caramel and a hint of alcohol burn, but this truly is a heavy hop monster. Big, with lots of malt heft. Great balance for the strength of flavours in this beer.
With the alcohol at 10%ABV, this one should lay down for a few years and come out nicely. (937 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Very dark red, Cakey tan foam head, quickly diminishing, probably due to the high alcohol content. Many Different smells, floral hops and dominating malt. Flavor bites you with the malt and hops, and astrengincey(spelling?) Too bad this only comes around every so often to my town. They always have arrogant, but not the double. Next time they come in I will buy about a dozen of them. good beer (395 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%

2005 Edition

22oz brown bomber bottle.
I once had a pair of oxblood Doc Martins, this beer is the color my shoes should have been. Excellent deep red-brown with a cream head. Once I drank it down a bit I gave it a good swirl and it were a scotch you’d say it had long legs. Understated bouquet of mild potpourri. All modesty is thrown out the window with the first sip. Starts with a caramel/condensed sweetness followed by aggressive piney hops with coconut notes. Finishes deep and long, retuning to the creaminess reveled first. Defiantly a good brew to let get warm, as different temps reveal additional dimensions to the flavor. Very soft and viscous; easily palatable yet with strong character. Remarkable un-alcoholic in the mouth (your head feels it) and refreshing without being overly moist. (807 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%

Thanks to egajdzis for this...
Appears a dark amber with an ivory white head. Spotty lacing is left on the glass .
Smell is of tons of malt, hops, along with some oaky vanilla going on.
Taste is of the same aromas. Very nice and hard to put into words. All I know is that I like it.
Mouthfeel is super smooth with a sweetness that comes through.
This is awesome but some abv is evident and you'll be able to tell. (419 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

'04 version.

Appearance is ok. Pours a beautiful mahogany with no head after a minute. Smell is a little underwhelming. Maple syrup, some citrus fruit, and pine needles are all there in small quantities, but the alcohol makes a bit too much of an appearance in my opinion. It's also got an unpleasant oxidized smell. Taste is interesting, but not up to some of the better barleywines I've had. Everything in the smell makes an appearance, though I can't taste the wet paper oxidized smell at least. Here I can say that if the alcohol was not so apparent, this would be a great beer. Malt and hops are very well balanced. There is a nice piney aftertaste and a nice deep sweet fruity taste. But after that the alcohol overwhelms you, and the aftertaste leaves you thinking you just took a tiny shot of some cheap rum. The mouthfeel is nice, very smooth and medium bodied for a barleywine. Drinkability suffers due to the alcohol, but still isn't bad. Just doesn't have enough flavor to mask the alcohol in my opinion. This is exactly why I recently changed my favorite style from American Barleywine. There's so much better beer out there. (1,141 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2004 release. Amberbrown beer with a thick and everlasting head. Great nose giving lots of Hops, roast, chocolate, almond and citrussy freshness. Wonderfully "fuelled", bitter and candied beer. Great malts bathing in chocolate with it and a enormous bitter and roastyness follow and stay in aftertaste together with the burning alcohol. Yes this is a great beer and has mouthfeel like used up motoroil; creamy and burnt but still somehow fresh. Great beer that I'd love to see again. (483 characters)

2004 Release

Pours a dark, dark ruby, with a large white head that slooowly fades to just a thin veil. Very murky depths, almost loch ness monster territory.

Smells *very* strongly of malts, and some oak, with a hop tang.

Tastes about as malty of a barleywine as I've had. Light and dark malts blend at the tip of your tongue, giving way to a wave of hops halfway through (not as strong as I expected from Stone though, aging probably didn't help this), and a nip of pure alcohol at the end. Raisins and dates up front, bananas and cloves following, cashews and almonds just behind, and finally all pushed away by grapefruit, cedar, and smoked wood. Fairly complex, and very tasty. The ABV is apparent, however. I've had slightly stronger barleywines that are less astringent to the throat.

Mouthfeel is thin up front, almost watery, but turns absolutely massive at the roof of your mouth. This beer has a lot of body, but the high alcohol weakens it a bit at the start and finish of each swallow. The finish is fairly astringent, as the ABV makes itself known.

In spite of the mild ABV dryness at the end of the swallow, this beer is extremely drinkable, especially for a barleywine. Watch yourself, the 10% ABV packs a wallop. It was a trial for me to allow this beer to warm up before finishing it.

And as it warms, the hops *really* come out of the woodwork. Insanely intense grapefruits, cedars, and citrus. Just wonderful. I've had double-IPA's with less hops than this.

Many thanks to Beerhandy for this awesome brew.

Deep, murky, blood-red,
The Loch Ness has no more silt,
With a crown of white.

A bit of honey,
Untold pounds of malt and grain,
And some grapefruit smell.

Rich with its sweetness,
Puckering with its tartness,
It punches the brain.

Its easy entry,
Grows thick as it hits the tongue.
Vodka bites your throat.

Slides into the mouth,
Drags claws into the palate,
And pulls itself down.

As I sip, I fear
That perhaps, more man than I
Is this angry beer. (2,024 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +8%

This had a little more sherry flavour, but seemed just as smooth, if not smoother, than its little brother: the Arrogant Bastard! It is quite bold, but not at all harsh.

A: Dark caramel, with an off-white head. Some retention, with nice lacing.

S: Sherry & pine, with malty goodness.

T: Initially slightly sweet, with sherry, chocolate and fruity caramel flavours. Some warming pine in the middle. Slightly bitter in the finish... but VERY smooth.

M: Full syrupy body, slightly higher than moderate carbonation.

D: Truly is exceptional for a beer of this strength. (Though some may not like the Chinook hops).

Thanks Kevin! (644 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -3.3%

2004 bomber obtained from Vintage Cellar.

Wow! This is much different than I remembered it. Much darker with less of a citric taste, and more of a bitter, raisin/fig barleywine taste than I recall. The beer I remember was much more drinkable, but of course this was just after previously splitting a bottle of Stone Russian Imperial Stout with mentor and Woody (the owner of the local beer joint, The Sanctuary). Not to say I don't think it is just as mindblowing of a beer, but it really goes to show how the time & place affect the experience so much.

...Anyways, on to the review of the beer in front of me. This is a very deep maroon color with a bit of a red haze and a decent carbonation that forms a weak white head. Looks great, and just how I'd expect my barleywine to look.

The smell is very fruity and malty, and the hops are plentiful enough to sense the bitterness through the nostrils. Quite intense. I almost can't quit huffing it, but alas, I'm so parched that I need to take another drink.

The taste is of dark fruits and an assload of hoppy bitterness. A bit of a malty and/or yeasty earthy flavor in the initial taste. This bastard is killing my tongue! There's no way I'd be able to review another beer after this, but just for the hell of it, I'm going to see how an Alpha King will follow this up; of course, if I'm still able to drink after this beast..!

The mouthfeel is intensely bitter with a heavy, but not chewy, mouthfeel. The alcohol is definitely there, and leaves an intensely dry finish. This is definitely a sipper, but a damn good one. (1,585 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -9.2%

Pours a dark ruby amber. Three fingers of pale tan foam hold extremely well, leaving moderate lace. The smell is mostly roasted malt and dark fruits, with traces of noble hops. The alcoholic aroma becomes pungent as it warms above serving temp. The text written on the back of the bottle helps to prepare you for the punch in the mouth you are about to receive. Taste is a well balanced blend of very sweet burnt malt, fruit esters, and molasses upfront, followed by an eruption of bitter hops and alcohol washing over. Aside from being strong, the mouthfeel is syrupy, with a residual bittersweet aftertaste; one would expect a dryer finish given all the hops, no? If you can finish the entire bomber, you will feel a slight alcohol warmth. Overall, a quality beer that delivers what the marketing promises. However, the Barleywine style is one that should offer the drinker rich sensations of smell, taste, mouthfeel and inebriation; not just try to kick your ass. (966 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Okay, after 250+ reviews, I still might not able to handle Barley Wines like their meant to be enjoyed. Appearance is fantastic, 1/4 inch head with great carbonation and solid lacing. The smell alone stopped by wife and dad from even trying it, which is a good thing in my book. Nice malty sweetness followed by strong alcohol. Settles on the stomach and not real easy to finish a 22 oz bottle. As time goes by, I'll enjoy this style more and more. (448 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Double Bastard, the name fits the beer. This came from an emormous bottle. I believe 3L. With 2 hands, it poured a burnt copper color with decent head. The sccent comes out strong as it pours. DAMN. At first, hops, then hops. The hops were piney and strong. The malts were sweet. Nothing about this barleywine is subtle. The taste is a butt kicker. You can taste so much going on here, plus the alcohol. Dark fruits, like plum, maybe cherries as well as choclate. Don't drink the whole 3L bottle, unless you want to be the bastard. Great beer, great taste, excellent finish. (574 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -0.7%

750 ml bottle. 2004 edition, sampled 7/30/2005.

Pours a slightly cloudy burnished copper with medium-sized light tan head and mild lace. Smells sticky sweet; piney, spicy, and full of hops even somewhat aged. Tastes pretty syrupy initially. Lots of caramel malts build into piney hops before drying to a slightly astringent, very spicy, and elegantly vinous woody finish. Thick and sugary in the mouth, with prickly carbonation and big warming alcohol on a rich base.

A bit sticky and overwhelming at the first sip, but finishes quite well and mellows very nicely as it ages. An excellent hop-forward barley wine. (619 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Appearance: Double Bastard is dark brown with some ruby highlights. The head is tan and thick, and it dissipates slowly.

Aroma: Sweet and fruity. Malts take control here.

Flavor: Earthy and woody. Spices play on your tongue and the ale feels a little burnt.

Taste: The moment you take a sip, hops hit you. They fill every corner of your mouth sticking around while malt sweetness slowly goes down your throat. And then the warmth of this strong brew hits you from within. This ale "is not to be wasted on the weak." It is quite powerful and flavorful. Feels like malts and hops are competing for your attention.

I think Double Bastard falls into "love it or hate it" category. I love it. This was my choice last time I went camping. All this power goes down smooth in the woods. The best part is once you are done you feel “worthy.”

Tasted from a 22 oz. bomber. 2004 release. (896 characters)

Honestly, without question the best beer I've ever tasted, and I can find not a single flaw. Bought a pint sized bottle from Marty's liquors on Harvard ave. Pours a brown color with a beautiful white head that retains throughout. Lacing is perfect. Smells of fruit, pineapple maybe? Taste is perfection at its most perfectionist. Fruit, hops, and others which my palate cannot pick out. The entire palate tingles. I could drink these all day, or until I passed out. (465 characters)

Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.