Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,299 | Reviews: 2,072
4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

A very enticing beer. It pours a bright red-gold with a thin tan head, and is slightly hazy with suspended particles. Attractive.
The nose is very good, with thick pine-needle hops and caramelized, slightly burnt sugars.
The flavour follows, with pine hops and a touch of sweetness up front. All sweetness is obliterated as the beer reaches the back of the tongue and bitterness hits. The bitterness is overwhelming, but not unpleasant. Probably not great if you're not a hop fan, though!
The finish is long and bitter, with alcohol heat (surprisingly well hidden in the flavour) sliding all the way down the chest, and lingering long after the beer is gone.
In the mouth, bitter pine hop resins give it a long, drawn-out aftertaste.
Very, very nice. Again, probably not the best barleywine for those who prefer their hops gentle. But for me, quite fantastic.

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

1 Pt. 6 Fl. Oz.
10% Alc. Vol.
2004

“Ye Shall Know the Bastard, and the Bastard Shall Set You Free.”

Appearance – not-quite-clear light rust body; cream-colored head that’s bigger than most barley wines I’ve seen; lace is a great sheet then a big break to the bottom; almost a 4 but it squeaked into a 4.5

Smell – more malty than the taste; deep caramel malt sets the base; pine hop bite

Taste – pine and grapefruit rind hop bite; bigger hops than I recall from most barley wines but deep caramel sets the base; some dark fruit; a bit of alcohol; grapefruit rind bitter aftertaste

Mouthfeel – full, smooth and silky until the close when the alcohol cuts in a bit; for its size, I couldn’t imagine a better feel; perfect

Drinkability – The 22 oz. is certainly numbing and questions the nerve system supplying your teeth; the smoothness puts the drinkability in an elite area

After a weekend full of a Stone barrage, their brews have set hop bruises in my chops.

4.26/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Another amazing brew from Stone Brewing, and wow, what a beer this is. Pours a very dark mahogany, leaving a lacy head. The smell's really nothing special, but wait until you put this baby to your lips. Oh, joy! The complexity hits you like a freight train, with notes of raisins, dates, caramel, and chocolate. Wow, wow, wow. Don't drink this one with dinner - enjoy sips of it for dessert. I put this right up there with some of my favorite Trappist brews, and that's a remarkable achievement for a domestic brewery. My hat's off to you, Stone...

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%

2004 release. Bomber. Poured into a wine glass.

I have two others sitting, but since it's been a year since I had a taste last, I figured I'd buy another to have now and actually review.

Appearance: Beautiful red / amber color, fluffy white head full of mini bubbles that slowly recedes, some spotty lacing around the glass as I drink. Fantastic.

Smell: Fruitiness and malt upfront. Pear, cherry, berries. Some oily hop aromas in the back. Some yeast and bread. Extremely well-balanced, as nothing comes through more than anything else.

Taste: The fruit and sweetness are apparent right away. Some oily hop bitterness is apparent upon after taste, but it's not pervasive. The flavors of fruit are more discernible as it warms, with pear being the most dominant. Some bready and yeasty aromas that help to balance everything too. Amazingly balanced.

Mouthfeel: Very very nice. The tiny bubbles in the appearance come through the make the mouthfeel velvety and carbonated perfectly. I could swish this around all the time.

Drinkability: I don't want more than maybe one a month because this is such a treat. Thankfully I have two left as I write this.

Stone continues to be one of the best breweries around. Some may say this is their best beer, and I'm pretty close to saying it also. Regardless, this is a great beer, and I will continue to drink it as long as it's available. Not only that, but this is recent stuff, meaning the 2004 -- so something this green, that also tastes so fantastic, can only get better with age.

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%

The appearance is mahogany colored with a half inch tan head. The lacing is very ghoulish looking. Great lacing.

The aroma has a very strong granny smith apple smell to it. Also, several other fruits, brown sugar, caramel, malts.

The taste is insane. Extremely complex. Here's a mild description of what it's like: entering your mouth its caramel, chocolate, malts, molasses and then gives way to piney hops, fruits, herbs and then a salted buttery and extremely bitter finish.

The mouthfeel is somewhat warm and this beer absolutely kicks your palate's ass. I'm talking about like this is a severely pissed off Andre the Giant in his prime with full body armor and armed with bazookas -this beer- versus Dustin Diamond (Schreech from Saved by the Bell) armed with a spork and a spatula -your palate-...not even close and I love that.

This beer is very odd. The first time I tried it, I thought it was absolutely horrible...nearly gave away my other 5 bombers. Fortunately, I gave it another shot and thought it was absolutely great...but didn't review it then. This is the third time I've had it. Honestly, it's between the first two. This time and the first time I had basically nothing to eat and a very clean palate. Both times it was pretty damn hard to drink...basically the equivalent of drinking straight cheap-ass liquor. The second time was after a big dinner and much much easier to drink. I've based my scores based on that experience and will make sure to drink this after meals from now on.

3.33/5  rDev -21.8%

Appearance: Beautiful transparent golden red body with a infintesimal white head.
Aroma: Big sticky malt aroma with loads of spicyness and sap. Is this a restina?
Taste: Huge bitterness overpowers the initial pine-hop, then sweet maltiness. The bitterness grinds on for a long, long time. Way to much alcohol flavor jumping out.
Mouthfeel: Thick, fine bubbles and little hot on the alcohol. This beer is simply too thick, and too hot for me to want to have on anywhere near a regular basis.

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

22 oz bottle

Sampled 3.18.05

What great bottles this brewery has. Demons with wings, insulting bravado. Gotta love a beer bottle that flat out disses the Big Three. I poured this with fervor since the beer itself was taunting me. A gingerly pour seemed weak and useless. I needed to assert myself from the get go. My delicate snifter was able to handle it, but only after some words of encouragement.

The dark honey liquid sat with a foam crown. Brew was fairly solid and cloudy. Lacing descended slowly as if to try to maintain a foothold upon my glass. A last stand at dominance. Alas, my appetite for the fermented achieved victory.

The aroma was pungent molasses. Thick and aggravated. Malts of all sorts jumping to freedom upon the air above their foam horizon. Hints of alcohol tickled on the retreat of the failed escapees.

In the mouth a robust caramel bath of sweetness submerged the tongue. Bitterness fought its way through the front lines only to be swallowed, splattering the battlefield with dewy hop resins, oily and abundant. The alcohol was a furnace. Mouthfeel had a mid level carbonation. The beer was thick and chewy; heavy, but not too heavy. It's a delicate balancing act that makes me raise an eyebrow at its self-inflated machismo.

This beer is made to enjoy. And enjoy I did. Slowly though. It's full heavy flavor keeps one at a nice pace to get great, lasting enjoyment out of one bottle.

4.85/5  rDev +13.8%

22 oz. silk screened bomber. I'd like to add my own text underneath the gargoyle to read "shut up, sit down, and drink."

Pours a dark amber with a nice white head. Great retention and nice sticky lacing. Smells of nutmeg, cinnamon, and chocolate.

Whoa. Sweet Jesus. The text on the back of the bottle doesn't lie. This is one muther effer of beer. Dark chocolate, bitter chocolate, cinnamon, nutmeg, caramel, maple syrup, brown sugar. Very sweet and chewy. The alchohol is certainly present on the palate and it really warms you up.

Delicious and drinkable but I could only handle one.

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a one-finger cream head that goes quickly and leaves no lace. Clear, red/amber color. Strong carbonation and medium bodied. Nose is malts, raisin and alcohol, starts with a distinct alcohol flavor some sweetness, finishes sweet & sour. 22oz bottle for $5.95 from Colonial Spirits Acton, Ma.

4.67/5  rDev +9.6%

This is probably one of the best Barley Wine's I've ever had.
Nice beige crown topped the deep red beer.
Toasted malts and sweet fruits create a vacuum in the olfactory senses. Big words, big beer :)
Damn. Great taste. Raison's plums, and a bit of chocolate. More hops than most Barley Wines but Stone did an excellent job of mixing the fruit taste and hop background.
Slick and oily be sure to take heed of this Bastard. RTFL! High alcohol and fantastic taste make this an abusive combo.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

2004 Release.
I've been longing to try this much revered brew and I figured my 200th review would be a great time to do so. A deep caramel red pour that nears opaque with a big fluffy, creamy two finger khaki head sitting nicely atop the brew. A circular ring of lacing appears as the head falls. Pine bough resin and citric hops waft up into my nose alongside a rich, candy sweet caramel toffee nose. Big and inviting.

First sip brings an elegant mix of big, bracing fresh pine tree and citric hop flavors along with a lush, caramelly toffee sweet maltiness. Quite well balanced with a nearly mouth puckering bitterness on the way down. Hints of dark fruits and raisins lurk in the mix as well. A damn good barleywine...10% abv is nowhere to be found in the taste. Wow.

Big, creamy buttery smooth mouthfeel with spot on carbonation. Simply a treat to drink. Each sip leaves me longing for another. This will be one I will look forward to each year. Glad I have another bottle in the cellar. Highly recommended and yet another winner from Stone!

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

Think Arrogant Bastard or Stone IPA but with even more attitude (and more alcohol). Strong hops presence, strong dark fruit flavor presence, all in relative well balance. Definately aggressive but surprisingly sophisticated. I think this qualifies more like a stronger than strong dark ale as opposed to a barley wine.
Not for everyone but well made. Like Arrogant Bastard, you probably know someone that will fall in love with the creation.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Pour a clear deep brownish red. 2 finger tan head receds after a few minutes, leaving lace high on the glass. Barleywine smell of carmelly malts. Instant blast of bitter hops; I keep waiting for it to go away but it doesn't. Thick rich malts of heavy nutinness and maple syrup. Spruce hops with an underlying orange peel citrus. Creamy and very heavy. An amazing drinking experience. A volatile solution: my friends can smell this thing from five feet away.

3.63/5  rDev -14.8%

This beer pours amber-brown has a one finger head with good retention and some nice lacing. The aroma is of caramel, sweet malt, and alcohol. The taste is malty, smokey, and bitter and it leaves a sweet molasses-like taste with the finish. This beer is a little harsh as it warms the mouth and throat on the way down but it's also what makes it memorable.

Reflection: I really like this company, they pull no punches with their beers and their able to make some interesting ones like this.

3.91/5  rDev -8.2%

At first glance I thought this beer was going to be darker. It's about the color of maple syrup and looks pretty good. The head was tall at first but has come down. It stays in a nice 1/2 cm frothy top. The beer itself doesn't have much of a smell. As with all of Stone's beers this one has that familiar hop characteristic that reminds me of their Barleywine. There is a syrupy sweet taste with hints of maple, burnt wood, sugar, fruit, apple . There is a distinct sweetness to this beer that makes it very attractive. It's light in your mouth, but still feels heavy to the tounge if that makes any sense. It's not hard to drink, especially if you've had a beer or two before it. Good hop flavor.

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

2003. Pours a very dark ruby crimson color, cloudy, with a smallish tan head. Smells of sweet caramel malts, fruits like pineapple, and slight hoppiness. An alcohol presence is also there. This definitely tastes like the big brother of arrogant bastard. Taste is spicy alcohol and sweet, thick, heavy caramel. A piney hop bitterness shows itself toward the end. Very thick in the mouth, the alcohol presence prevents this one from being very drinkable. Not a bad barey wine, but not one of my favorites. I didnt detect the hoppiness that I expected from this beer, but not necessarily a bad thing. Would love to try these stone beers fresh.

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

'02 in '05. I remember tasting this in '02 and thinking it was way too young and I still have that impression. There is no doubt on the beauty of its dark color and nose of bubblegum, rum and malt. The taste remains a bit too hot with alcohol dominating the beautiful rich body and silky, resiny hops. Warming does not help which may mean a year or two may bring it all into balance. This is an intense experience of barley wine madness in the best and worst sense. I love this style but this needs some time for perfection to arrive.

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

When I bought my Double Bastard I did what all good beer drinkers should do....buy one for a friend to enjoy it with. He began to drink his first and when I asked him how it was he replies, "It's like a slap in the face". Not a bad slap in the face, but this damn beer is intense. It poured out deep amber with a thick head. I noticed hints of all sorts of sweetness, from different kinda of fruit to chocolate. However, what I noticed most was the fact that this beer has muscle. The hops seemed slightly stronger than the malts, but both were overshadowed by the pure power of the alcohol. Overall a good beer, but like the bottle says, you may not be worthy.

4.41/5  rDev +3.5%

So what i have sitting in front of me tonight is the supposed greatest beer of my favorite style. Been waiting awhile to find out where i can get one of these bombers, and i have mntlover to thank for the opprotunity to try it out. An American-Barley wine freak like myself couldn't be more pleased with a chance at this infamous brew; so much so that the entire two days that i was sitting in my room i could hear it calling out my name....

Appearance- Did somebody switch my bottle with Old Horizontal? Pour them right next to each other and i wouldn't be able to tell one apart from another. Dark copper, nice head off white 1" head and a wild lacing that carries huge strings from one side of the glass to the other. Average head retention. Very mild carbonation.

Smell- Yikes, this one SMELLS intimidating! Floral hops and fusel alcohol strike first, completely dissallowing anything else to enter their territory. I spent a good minute taking sniffs and trying to figure out what was hiding underneath them. Rum, grapefruit, and a prickily spiciness to it. Nostrils completely cleared up after spending time smelling this one. Ah, my feel sinuses are nice and clean.

Taste- Thankfully, the taste doesn't make quite as bold a statement as the nose of this bombshell. Hops mix with sweet malts first, both backing away at essentially the same time for pleasent after taste that is smooth and spicy. Caramel soaked grapefruit, or is that grapefruit infused rum?, english cheddar, and a lemon/citric bitterness (possibly somehow related to Lemon Warheads candy) take you through and interesting journey of flavors. Oddly enough, none of these seem to be too strong nor too bitter to take away from it at all. Some raisins and figs perhaps? Caramel? Some alcohol to boot? Sure, why not. There's always more than enough going on here.

Mouthfeel- Just about where i want it to be; full bodied, rich and strong with a pleasant after-taste. Low amount of carbonation, but that seems to be the norm for the style at hand here.

Drinkability- I have basically destroyed this bomber in little over an hour, and despite feeling the alcohol-related effects of it, i can't see myself stopping before the show is completed. Alcohol is always present, but in a weird twist, only seems to add to the complexity to the brew. It's bizzarre balance is what ultimately leads to it's drinkability.

After what was set out as a goal to find which was my favorite A.B.W. (this versus the Bigfoot and the Old Ho) i came to a slightly depressing conclusion that it's a three-way draw. Each offers their own particular take on the style, and all three succeed at the same level. But considering i loved the other two brews, i can't at all be dissapointed that i find this one to be at equal level. Maybe not the most hoppy (Bigfoot), or the most malty (Old Horizontal), but possibly the most complex and balanced. I can see why this one rates as highly as it does. One of those fine brews that lives up to the hype.

2.83/5  rDev -33.6%

was alittle disppointed in this one.
poured out a dark copper with amber hues and a 1 inch creamy off shite head that left nice lacing.
smell was faint at first but with warmth and a swirl i was able to detect some malt and slight fruitiness.
taste was strange to me. big malt hit then fizzled off quickly and just left bitterness. starnge thing is i did not really smell a lot of hop in the aroma at all. the hop had no real flavor either just left bitterness on the tongue and a burning feeling on the sides of the mouth and in the stomach. alcohol was not really noticeable.
I drank it but contemplated pouring it out. I would not waste any money on this one again.

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

Well, I finally caved and opened a bottle of 03 that I've been stashing. It pours a magnificant amber red that glows from within. A brief head of wheat colored foam erupts to a chunky peak before receding into a ring around my tulip glass. Lace is adequate and clumpy.

A gentle swirl releases a bouquet of delight! Caramel infused rum balls and singed creme brulee'. Dark, moist fruit cake with dates, figs, cherries, bananas, and pinapple. An array of floral, citrus, and pine-drenched hops bring up the rear. I was anticipating a more subtle hops aroma. If Stone has taught me one thing, it's to expect the enexpected! Alcohol is evident, but well infused into the mix.

WOW! This beer is insane! It begins with toasty caramel malts, buttery English toffee, oak, vanilla, yellow raisens, tropical fruits, and malted milk balls. A tsunami of hops quickly washes over! An oily, resinous, thick coating of pine-drenched grapefruit, tangerine, and sweet florals takes me for a long, smooth ride. A superbly crafted alcoholic rush reminds me of the strength. Be warned, you could drink this all night!

The mouthfeel is epic. Like hop infused melted butter. It is thick, viscous, and absolutely paints your mouth with layers of flavor. The carbonation is like silk on your tongue. There is a long finish filled with a multitude of hop flavors. I'll accept a bitch-slapping from this Bastard any time! None better! Good, good, good!!!

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

Served from the bottle. Poured with a thick, foamy head on top. Lace around the glass. The aroma came across as a bread bowl with slight hints of rye. In the flavor I am noticing different qualities/styles of sugars present. Also, there are sprinklings of spices with lots of cinnamon, nutmeg, and something I can't name that has a bit of a kick to it. The alcohol is also very noticable. With the mouthfeel, there is a slight alcohol burn on the tongue. Unfortunately, I tend to prefer beers with such a high ABV that are better at conceeling it, so that kind of took away from the experience for me.

4.73/5  rDev +11%

From a 22 oz bomber pours this beautiful ale. A nice bubbly head rests atop a dark red brew. It is slightly lighter at the bottom of the glass than near the head. A nice bold color, complimented by an estery caramel smell. It simply smells of a good blend of hops and grains, with a plenty of alcohol on hand. Bitter hops start and finish the taste in a glorious fashion. In between the hops there is a big full bodied malt taste, lots of sweet caramel and creamy malt. Also a roasted character and a slight hint of nuttiness. Definitely a complex taste. Very full, satisfying mouthfeel. Big and creamy, but broken up by clean citrous hops and warming alcohol. Surprisingly drinkable for the abv, a remarkable brew.

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

2004 version poured into a goblet at about 50 degrees (F), it pours a nice garnet/amnethist (sp?) color, slightly cloudy, w/ very little head; a nice edge layer and nice spongy clinginess from what head there was. A good looking brew IMO. Smell is mainly plums or grapes w/ a very slight soy sauce twang to it. My girlfriend actually said she thought of rasberry chocolate a little, due to the malts, and I even got a little bit of hops sprinkled throughout. Taste up front gives a lot of alcohol. As this warmed, however, vanilla caramel tones came through to the forefront of the sip, along with a heavy dose of fruit (plums & grapes) and even a little almond flavor maybe. Bitter swallow and bitter aftertaste that gives the impression of a creamy bitter malt finish (very nice!). The overall feel of this one is a medium-to-full body (more full), w/ a lot of carbonation up front (due to the temperature maybe) w/ a nice smooth swallow and a lot of 10% alcohol burn on the finish! Definitely a great beer!!!

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2004 issue. There's an inch of creamy, thick, light beige head. Sticky, lacy, spotty lacing. The beer is a clear, dark red-brown. Nice. Fresh, piney, juicy hops in the nose. The front is hoppy, piney, sweet. The middle is sweet, thick, malty, buttery. Fresh spicy hops and pepper in the finish. Awesome, spicy, buttery hoptacular. Gets fruity with temperature. Loads of hops, but not overpowering. This is insanely good.

Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.