1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Reviews: 1959

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,039 | Reviews: 1,959 | Show All Ratings:
tmm313

Georgia

3.35/5  rDev -21.5%

A- Dark orange, almost red body. Poured a nice creany 2 finger head that dissipated pretty quickly.
S- Tropical fruits, chocolate, caramel, pine, big Bourbon.
T - Follows the nose, but the booze is HUGE. Too much so.
M- Thick, almost syrupy. Crisp carbonation.
O- I am not worthy. The bottle told me so, but I didn't believe it. Way too much booze for my tastes.

12-01-2013 00:19:40 | More by tmm313
zookerman182

Alabama

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Appearance is a clear red brown color with a two finger head.
Aroma is fruit, toffee, bread, malt, some metallic smell even.
Taste is dark fruit, bready malt, toffee, deliciousness.
Mouthfeel is fantastic, coats your mouth with bitterness.
You don't really pick up the 11% abv which is nice.

11-30-2013 17:27:28 | More by zookerman182
santomark

Appearance - Pours this wonderful deep caramel color, very little head in this one I received, poured nicely. Looks very shallow.

Smell - this is different than your standard arrogant bastard, this has the pine, hops, fruits, malty, breadiness. Very warming in the smell, just the perfect thing in winter.

Taste - Definately notice first is this rich toffee, raisin, and hops. As you sip in deeper it is this wonderful balance of oranges, mild chocolate, complexity from the hops, sticky, piney, just everything you love about a beer this has it all!

Mouthfeel - Definately on the Medium-high to to high side with the body. smooth, refreshing, light carbonation.

Overall - I am in love with Stone and this brew. I loved the arrogant bastard, but this is entirely a different experience. This has everything you love about various beers that are pulled into one masterful brew. You get this full body which is great for this time of year, toffee/coffee/dark which reminds me of a brown ale, then you dip deeper and get this splash of hops that are very complex both in their bitterness and sweetness. This is just a damn perfect beer. I'm amazed, I can't say enough good things. Something in this beer for everyone. IMO, I will be sipping this, this is highly drinkable, but also high in ABV so pace yourself.

Re-edit

I've had this beer from a growler and on tap. TBH, it's not as magnificent compared to a bomber of it. On tap, you'll get more of the bitter, with the growler, you'll get an arrogant bastard on bitter steroids. The way to drink this is from a bomber bottle. Idk why, but drinking it from the pint bottle is magnificent; it's loaded with every characteristic enjoyable to a beer drinker.

11-29-2013 09:36:52 | More by santomark
PAhopHead717

4.34/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2013 edition about 2 months old. I dont know what to say about this beer other than its a big one. Overloads your mouth with flavor. Alcohol is noticeable but would probably fade away with some age. Arrogant bastard is a favorite of mine but this is a must have every year.

11-28-2013 19:16:15 | More by PAhopHead717
anarchia

Oregon

2.81/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Thin white head, dark ruby color. Aroma is faint pine with lots of fruits, along with an unfortunate(to me) cherry cough syrup smell. Very thick in the mouth, syrupy. Taste is cherries, caramel, wood, grapefruit. Extremely bitter of course, starts within a second of sipping and stays around, coating your mouth with bitterness for an extended time. Some nice flavors before the bitterness takes over but I can't say I care for the bitterness or the syrupy feel in the mouth. Others may be more worthy than me.

11-27-2013 04:27:39 | More by anarchia
TheSixthRing

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Bottle dated 09/26/13

Appearance - Pours a dark orange copper with a sandstone finger width head. Fair retention, resulting in a thin layer of bubbles with a thick cluster in the middle. Lacing is small and spotty with good stick.

Smell - Fresh orange hits the nose first, then a healthy amount of caramel and toffee. Light toast and chocolate notes, along with traces of alcohol. Dark fruit emerges as a more predominant presence the brew warms.

Taste - Complex. Orange and grapefruit pith sits atop the flavor profile, but plenty of other notes can be found throughout the experience. Raisin, caramel and light toffee. Ester fruitiness. Traces of chocolate. Finishes with fair balance, though the pith character tends to linger. A bit of heat comes through in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Full-bodied and thick, with moderate carbonation. Near syrupy.

Overall - One could a make a strong case that this should be classified as a barleywine, and a damn good one at that. Certainly isn't far off from their Old Guardian. The only issue in againg a brew like this is the temptation to drink it!

11-27-2013 04:20:19 | More by TheSixthRing
JAFoley

New Hampshire

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - Deep dark amber cloudy body with three full fingers of dense tan head. Incredible retention and lacing.

S - Citrus and caramel malts

T - The huge abv is the first thing to hit me. I probably tasted the lemony hops and the dank, earthy, sugary, and caramel malts ,first. But that alcohol is so strong you forget about the rest.

M - Medium/full body with moderate/low carbonation. Very sticky and syrupy.

O - Very well balanced. No one flavor overpowers another, but that's because every flavor is overpowering. This beer is huge! Stone can do no wrong.

11-26-2013 00:32:27 | More by JAFoley
IAmAPenguin

4.21/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Aroma: sweet raisins, candied caramel, burnt sugar and assertive hops. Appearance: deep ruby/amber with little foam. Taste: very noticeable bitter hop overtones, juicy plum, pineapple, caramelized sugar, mango, prunes and tart grapes. Overall: very complex, alcohol is very well masked but well felt. Very interesting hoppy yet malty overtones. Balanced and impressive.

11-25-2013 08:27:00 | More by IAmAPenguin
laglocal

2.5/5  rDev -41.5%

Honestly, I had to double check this beer was fresh I found it so unenjoyable. But being bottled on 9/06/13 an 11% ABV beer should be fresher than fresh. Just a gross alcohol malt bomb with hardly any hop bitterness that isn't just completely burned to shit by all the alcohol taste. Sort of syrupy, and I have no idea how this is classified as ASA rather than a Barleywine. This almost makes me not want to try to the Southern Charred that should be hitting shelves soon.

11-25-2013 03:42:23 | More by laglocal
Qbdoo

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Appearance - nice nutty brown

Smell - probably fine. I have no nose.

Taste - excellent - a rather bold, hoppy strong ale. Punches you in the face.

Mouthfeel - very nice, slightly oily. Kind of like a barleywine.

Overall - I think I like the attitude more than the beer, but I do like the beer quite a bit. I just don't think it lives up to it own presentation. I feel the same way about Arrogant Bastard. It's a beer I really enjoy but I think that the bottles lead me to expect more.

11-23-2013 01:55:08 | More by Qbdoo
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

4.14/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bottle from Bert's
Pours a brilliantly clear deep copper color with a decent sized off white head that shows moderate retention and lace. Aromas of pine resin and grapefruit pith atop brown sugary caramel and hints of cheery and toffee. The flavor is heavy on the pine, resin and brown sugar. Slight warming alcohol warns of the abv. Caramel, toffee, light plum and prune round out the flavor. Assertive hop bitterness but never harsh. Medium to thick body with a light to moderate level of carbonation and a sweet slick almost syrupy mouthfeel. Very nice strong ale, I enjoyed sipping on this for most of the night.

11-23-2013 00:27:45 | More by johnnnniee
KJK-1

South Carolina

4.08/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A- A light tea color or rusty look. Nice head that holds. Lacing on glass is excellent.

S- Big hop and malt, maybe a little toffee or caramel

T- Big malt presence. Nice hop notes begin to kick in midway. I get a little sweet taste that is caramel like. Very good tasting beer.

M- Medium to mildly full bodied and heavy malt presence. Good carbonation. Alcohol is noticeable, but I do not mind that.

O- A very good beer. I look forward to the release of this every year. I usually get several bombers to last a a few months. A good end of the evening beer to enjoy slowly.

11-20-2013 17:19:19 | More by KJK-1
Dope

4.21/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottled 9/6/13.

A: Pours a deep, deep red with brown highlights. Tall, fizzy light brown head. Head fizzes out pretty quickly. Almost no lacing. Decent retention at least.

S: Super malty aroma. Rich with raisins and caramel primarily. Brown sugar too I'd say. Loads of dark fruits when swirls. Raisins of course but I swear I get dates too. Plums? Very fragrant. Big stale bread notes from the malt.

T: Lots of heavy dark bread. Like a molasses-based bread. Dark fruits but more subdued here as compared to the aroma. Raisiny with a little toffee. The combination is reminiscent of raisin bread in fact - just missing the cinnamon. Minor wave of bitterness in the finish. Definitely some hops in here but I think the big malt obliterates their flavor. Maybe hints of resin and pine? Lots of spicy alcohol lends a fairly dry and almost numbing aftertaste.

M: Pretty heavy but the sharp alcohol cuts it down nicely. Balances out I think.

O: It seems everything Stone makes is very hoppy but I was definitely taken aback by this one. This is a malt bomb instead. Sweet and bready. Heavy alcohol warming the belly. I will have to get some more to age, I think this one will morph nicely over the years. Right now it's quite hot. And I like hot beers! A good accessible strong ale for sure, one of the better out there.

11-20-2013 05:52:02 | More by Dope
andrewjraab

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - Pours a dark ruby and crimson with a towering three fingers of head that sat above the rim in my snifter. Fluffy lace and big stick. Head retains to a chunky cap around the glass.

S - Malty, woody, booze, citrus, pine, brown sugar, molasses. Big nose on this.

T - Malty, citrus hops, molasses, figs, caramel, strong boozey flavor in the back end - not bourbon, more like vodka. Tasted HOT to me. Full bodied and a chunky mouth feel.

O - This brew is not for the faint of heart. Really good, but tasted a bit hot for me and I would love to put one in the cellar and try again in a year or two.

11-20-2013 02:42:26 | More by andrewjraab
Celtics17

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I've many of the Stone beers, but this one has escaped me. I will pick up another bottle to cellar without question. A lot of complex flavors. I was a bit worried, because the last couple of time that I had Arrogant Bastard. It was then stellar. It was once one of my favorites, but perhaps I've had a few bad batches.

As for Double Bastard. I will cellar this one. The alcohol taste plays a big part. The normal flavoring comes out caramel, toffee. Raisins strong, also a very slight citrus, or orange zest in this one.

A: Pours an orange, but more of a red. Finger of head with aggressive pour. Moderate lacing, fairly minimal retention. Carbonation appears moderate. Beer is just shy of being clear. Some haziness.

S: Big, bruising toffee malts. Lot of spice from the hops. Citrus, floral in combination with the large malt presence. The smell is kind of the opposite of what you taste.

Take this beer slow.

11-18-2013 07:48:43 | More by Celtics17
BB1313

3.15/5  rDev -26.2%

2013 vintage. Bottled on 9/14/13. 22oz bottle poured into a snifter. Pours a hazy copper with a fluffy off-white head that fades and leaves great lacing and retention. The aromas are loaded with sweet caramel malts. Lots of orange zest. Lots of lemon. The flavors are extremely bold. Tons of caramel with hints of toffee. There's a nice amount of citrus. It's pretty boozy. Lots of pine resin. The malts and hops are definitely battling eachother for supremacy. It's pretty spicy. It finishes hot. Mouthfeel is very nice. It's full-bodied with active carbonation. Very smooth and creamy. Alcohol is definitely noticeable. This is a quintessential sipper.

This beer is named appropriately. I've had it before, but never this fresh. It's a hardcore brew. It's ultimately just a huge beer. There's too many alcohol notes for my taste. It's still fun to drink. I will say it starts off rough around the edges, but it comes together the more you drink it. It's well crafted though, just like all of Stone's beers. I absolutely understand the appeal. This beer is a good one to throw in the cellar. I might re-review this one with an aged bottle in the future.

11-17-2013 19:28:17 | More by BB1313
V3XX069

Kansas

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

22 oz. bottled poured into a pub glass.

A – Tea brown, almost rust with head that doesn't stop. Left gorgeous laces during consumption. Opaque, with sediment.

S – Slight hops and malty. Hints of Chocolate, maybe some toffee

T – Complex flavor, though maybe a little over powered by the malt and alcohol. Drinks very slowly. Reminds me of a malty quadrupel, but with some serious punch. Bourbon ale almost.

M – Thick and malty. At least, as far as I can tell, being a newb and all. Very strong beer, complex flavors, not for the faint of heart.

O - I've seen reviews describe this beer as being like a scotch ale, but I feel it is heavier than that. It truly reminds me of a cross between a quadrupel and a bourbon ale. It drinks very slowly, this is the kind of beer you'd be best sipping, to take in all it has to offer without getting your teeth knocked out. Isn't overly powerful with alcohol, but you know its there. It's 11.2%, so it is definitely there. The bottle says, "It is unequivocally certain that your feeble palate is grossly inadequate and thus undeserving of its liquid glory, and it may be right, for now. I am a fan of Arrogant Bastard, though the Double Bastard may be a little much for me this time around. Maybe I should warm up a little next time before getting my posterior handed to me.... But there will be a next time.

11-16-2013 03:26:30 | More by V3XX069
brureview

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drink this beer like a whiskey:)

This is one of the slowest drinking beers I have ever tasted.

Poured in a Stone Double Bastard Glass. Perfect glass. Light tea brown, with a 1/2F head.

Aroma: toffee, candy, caramel. Surprising for a stone beer- similar to Scotch ale.

Mouth feel: to the max- carbonated, pungent- over the top.

Taste: unlike any beer I have tasted. Initially- toffee, candy, followed by a Tsunami of hops and bitterness, slight alcohol.

There is no brewery like Stone. Like their beers or not- they are a singular sensation in the beer world.

11-12-2013 02:08:26 | More by brureview
Pintofbrown

Iowa

3.89/5  rDev -8.9%

2013 vintage. Served in a snifter.

The formidable Double Bastard Ale is a dark, maple brown with crimson highlights, ecru colored and bubbly foam sits at about a finger's width.

There are some strong fragrances rolling from this glass: a very noticeable booze characteristic like port, raisin, and even a little resin.

The palate keeps rolling with the same in your face essence that dominated the nose. That huge and boozy port characteristic rides into the finish with a growing bitterness. Underneath the intensity, I can detect some raisin and date flavors, really adds to the complexity of the beer. Double Bastard is definitely sweet, but you have to get past the booze and bitterness first.

The feel is very hefty and creamy, a little dry as well.

Overall, this beer is intense. I can see why so many people recommend putting some age on this one. It is a great beer fresh, just really intense!

11-11-2013 12:15:04 | More by Pintofbrown
McStagger

4.16/5  rDev -2.6%

From notes.

A: Pours an almost tawny orange. Finger of head with aggressive pour. Moderate lacing, fairly minimal retention. Carbonation appears moderate. Beer is just shy of being clear. Some haziness.

T: Again with the malts. Big toffee, rustic spiciness, citrus drops in mid palate and the hops take over momentarily. Floral notes ride the malt through the finish, but the malt ultimately wins out. Finishes borderline hot from the alcohol. Aftertaste is mildly spicy, with some soapiness.

M: Huge beer. However, it maintains the balance. Hops would be overwhelming in almost any other brew, but the large and well structured malts keep everything lock stepped here.

O: Delicious. They really nailed this one. It's twice the beer of Arrogant Bastard. Twice as malty, twice as hoppy, but still so devilishly balanced. Killer offering.

11-11-2013 08:26:04 | More by McStagger
Mr_Brewski

3.13/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This beer was totally different from any beer I have ever tasted. It kind of kicked my ass. Very strong alcohol taste. Burned going down like a shot of whiskey. It was good, but not what I'm looking for in a beer. I can see how some other people might like it , but it's not for me.

11-10-2013 15:57:53 | More by Mr_Brewski
MetalMountainMastiff

4.59/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Served from bomber in snifter.

A. Great color. nice copper,dark red color that lightens towards the head. less than a hlf finger head, the head seems to be reddish from the beer. Great color, and look absolutely beautiful.

S. smells of dark fruit, smells a lot like a Quad!!! amazing, except for the Belgian yeast smell, its all quad smelling.

T. Plums, dark fruit, nutty, spices, not much hops if any.

M. highly carbonated, a slight burn. Overall good.

O. Overall I love, very malty strong ale taste, yet very dark fruity quad taste . a more original taste on the strong ale.

11-10-2013 02:23:27 | More by MetalMountainMastiff
Scrapss

4.29/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a wide mouth chalice.

A: Nice deep copper. Thick head, lasts for quite some time. Nearly opaque, no suspended solids. Carbonation is minimal. Has some minor legs.

S: fruit, tart cherries. Dank musty tropical fruit. Has some aromatic hydrocarbon notes. mild malt notes. Mostly fruit notes.

T: strong fruity notes. like a Belgian with more character and attitude. Hazelnut, some undertones of nuttiness, slightly bitter.

M: Creamy as heck. phenolic notes at outbreath. filling. tart fruit. some bitter notes at finish. complex.

O: I like this very much. complex,sweet, bitter, dry... hits all the notes!

11-10-2013 01:20:33 | More by Scrapss
Boggdogg

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had this beer on tap at a local craft beer store. Pours with nice tan colored head that lasts and has good lacing. beer is a brownish copper color. Has a nice aroma. Very strong taste of alcohol of coarse due to 11% content. Hops leave a bitter aftertaste lingering in your mouth. Overall a well brewed beer, but a little too bitter for my taste.

10-19-2013 16:51:32 | More by Boggdogg
JohnnyJam

Arizona

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

Shared a 22 oz. bottle with C and R and my home tasting some beers. I've have this in my beer frig for a while and I've been waiting to taste it. Pours a brown copper color with a 1 1/2 finger head that lasts for a long time.

A: Pours a beautiful brown, copper color with a dark tan head about 1 1/2 fingers of head that is dark tan. It has beautiful lacing that covers the entire glass. This is perfect.

S: Smell of malt, citrus and some floral hops. Smell of alcohol is obvious.

T: Taste is really great: sweet malt, brown sugar, grapefruit and then other tastes of dark cherry and prune.

M: This is thick. Creamy with medium carbonation. It goes down good...maybe too good because that smell of alcohol is present and you know you should sip it. It's just so good.

O: I think this beer is fantastic! I would have is again and I would have it again! It really hits you, though, you know, that alcohol hits you. It was a wonderful experience.

10-04-2013 02:04:33 | More by JohnnyJam
Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.