Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

This is a really damn good beer. I myself am an avid drinker of the Arrogant Bastard, and this was actually my first taste of the DB. My brother and I broke this out along with the Stone Vertical Epic 03.03.03 for a mini tasting. This beer is absolutely beautiful to look at. It poured a clear dark ruby color, with a thick foamy tan head. The smell was heavy on the sweety syrupy hops, with other sweet smells such as honey, pine, and maple sap in there as well. The taste is a huge sweet hoppiness just as the smell would indicate. There are some more subtle hints in there, with some earthy tones barely noticible, but really most of the flavors are masked by the wonderful hoppiness. The mouthfeel was smooth with plenty of carbonation. If i remember correctly, this beer was in fact a gift to me, so for whoever got it for me (I seem to have forgotten), thanks. A great beer overall

FranklinPCombs, Apr 25, 2004
3.68/5  rDev -13.8%

Poured a dark chestnut like color with tons of red stains mixed in. There was yellow like head typical of some of the stronger barley-wines and Old Ales (Big Foot). Smell was huge with notes of juicy fruits, esters a plenty, big hops and a blackstrap mollassas sweetness. Taste started off with more sweetness and moved to a big alcohol kick with the hops there, but the malts doing a lot of the work for once in a Stone beer. I feel that the alcohol was too brash for now and luckily I have another bottle of this, which I will keep in the cellar for at least another 2 years.

GreatPondBrewer, Apr 23, 2004
2.23/5  rDev -47.8%

22 oz. bomber delivered by LBB and tasted by myself and BelgianBeers.

Appearance: quite dark amber, good clarity, a nice layer of tan head which depletes quite slowly to a thin film

Aroma: malty and bready, very light hop scent, a touch of wet carboard (aerated at bottling!?!?), acetone, a thimblefull of coffee, not a really "overt" aroma (which is the opposite of what I expected)

Flavor: butterscotch malt sweetness up front with an interlacing off-flavor (sour milk, rancid butter?), one dimensional hop flavor and bitterness, big hit of peppery alcohol that blooms into your palate like nail polish, cardboard here too, finish is sweet with a burnt caramel aftertaste

Mouthfeel: full body, terse carbonation, alcohol warmth

Overall Impression: I don't know... might be an off bottle? Probably committing beeresy with this review, but come on! Cardboard and sour milk!? This is either not at all what I expected or completely disappointing. A case of not living up to the hype?

Not worthy? That's OK with me...

GreenCard, Apr 23, 2004
3.88/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Dark red-caramel color, with a two finger head that slowly retreats into a creamy cover. This beer is intimidating.

Smell: Apples all the way.

Taste: Loads of carbination. This is a very hearty, creamy beer. It starts with hops and a good shot of malt then finshes with an astringent alcohol flavor. The alcohol is present but welcome. I taste apples, bananas, and walnuts in this.

Mouthfeel: A creamy massage for the tougue! Best mouthfeel I've experienced in my short history with craft beer.

Drinkabilty: Not sure I could drink it everyday, but it works well as a dessert beer every once and a while for me. A sipping beer to be sure.

This beer is a real kick in the pants.

jvajda, Apr 22, 2004
3.3/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Merci Psychprof! Clear copper hue over which lies an off-white head. Aroma is very harsh on alcohol surprisingly so. It took me a while to get over those vapors and get to studying the rest which had a big caramelic malt profile and a fruitiness approaching orange or watermelon. There's also an earthy/peaty aspect in there, but of course, besides alcohol, the bold hops dominate. In mouth, there's evidently intense hoppy grapefruit juice, caramel, crystal malt and still a moderate alcohol taste. Finish is huge, monstruously bitter, mouth-grabbing, memorable for a while. Mouthfeel is rather thick, closing onto syrup. Definitely worth a try to experiment it, but masochism as they say, is to be consumed in moderate amount. Not quite my bag, give me an Old Numbskull or HOTD Fred if I want a hoppy barley wine. I'll never brush my teeths again.

Rastacouere, Apr 19, 2004
4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Thank God to Skyhand so I can have this again. Pours like a rich, dark Amber. Taste of hot alcohol and, well, hops. Tons of Hops. The one real problem with this beer is that it tastes like the normal Bastard but has one heck of a kick to it.

I hope to trade again with skyhand in the future.

deejaydan, Apr 17, 2004
4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a cloudy medium brown colored brew.

Smell is heavenly! Sweet malts and fragrant flowers and grapefruit hops smell!

Taste is malty and hoppy at the same time. Very thick brew, as a barley wine should really be. Malty with a rounded bitterness. I would like a bit more malt but this is good. Could have a more complex flavor, there is a point at which "More Hops" becomes a LIABILITY! This brew is right at that point.

Mouthfeel is the thickest brew I have yet tasted.

Drinkable? More like sipable. Tasty brew that could learn some thing from Belgian brew masters about balance.

Still it is Light Years more balanced than “Arrogant Bastard!”

Zorro, Apr 15, 2004
4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

A Good beer, but not all that the name implies.

A hard pour from my bastard bomber into the glass left a nice light brown slightly rocky head. A deep reddish brown beer with light carbonation.
An arousing aroma on this beer, very sweet slightly piney notes as well.
Taste is sweeter than expected due to the higher alcohol. More malty than hoppy. A little fruity , I'm thinking plum? . The hops are a kick in the teeth but this is necessary to keep up with the sweetness. The fact that the malt and the hops are outrageously out of balance brings balance to the beer.That is If you follow illogical logic.

This is much thicker/syrupy than the Arrogant Bastard, which I liked. This was a great beer. But I think I will Stick with the Single Bastard

dippy, Apr 14, 2004
4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

2001 model tasted.

Poured a ruby brown with a wisp of a head. Smells of dark pit fruits and vanilla and a bit of dark hatian rum. Taste echos the smell.. Definately the taste of fruit in Cuban or Hatian dark rum.. Some woody notes as well.. Tasty but alcohol noticable. minimal evervecence. Could drink one and then its over. I need to try this again to give a complete report. But this is definately a belly warmer. Good stuff, but not sure its worth the huge rating. Perhaps the 3 years in the bottle mellowed this thing out as i didnt taste the hoppyness that others have.. Tasted much more like a belgian ale than a hoppy old ale.

TinusTime, Apr 12, 2004
4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

I think this is clearly a better and, perhaps strangely, more drinkable, balanced brew than it's little brother. Pretty clear but intense garnet, ruby, darkened rusty vermillion color. Very clean, well-defined aromas of sweet alcohol and space invading hops with a citric acid twist.

Thick and chewy brew. Syrupy, lip-smacking goodness. Big fruit flavors up front, slathered in malty caramel sauce. Alcohol is well-integrated but plainly obvious. In keeping with its Arrogance, it's a blatant exercise in extremes. But somehow, I find this version a bit more drinkable than Arrogant Bastard -- more balance being the key, I think. Citric fruit and pine sap bitterness mingle well with the fruity, estery flavors up front, and it provides a great transition to the finish. Most plainly stated, this is largely sweet beer with a big bitter backend to it. But it's quite complex, full of rich fruit, alcohol, citrus, and caramel. Pretty damn good.

marburg, Apr 05, 2004
4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Unassuming clear orange brown appearance. Little head. No lace.

This beer smells like a bouquet of flowers. Aromatic and then some! One of the best beer smells I've experienced.

This is my favorite Stone I have had. Balanced malt and hops, sweet and bitter. Savory to the max. Bitter maple syrup pancakes on the finish that lasts and lasts.

Mouthfeel is damn near perfect. Not too thick, but substantial. Almost feels like port in my mouth.

Drink it again and again. Alcohol is not apparent to me. I'd make this a regular if I didn't have to drive to another state to get Stone products. This beer deserves its hype, imho.

silenius, Apr 05, 2004
4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

Old Ale looking with a big hop nose that lets you know what is to come when you take a sip. What surprised me was how it took a few seconds for the serious hops to come through and yet the balance was there at all times. This is a big beer more akin to a barley wine than a double IPA. I had this beer with a strong curry and the beer matched the spicy flavours exactly. The reputation is that this beer is over the top but I think that the balance is what makes this one of the best beers available.

canucklehead, Mar 30, 2004
4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

Nice deep reddish,amber color.Slight head that quickly receedes.Huge,huge aroma-almost like a sweet and sour sort of thing.Citrusy,somewhat smokey.Incredible flavor-great big malt flavor with a healthy dose of hops.Apricot and orange like.Great oily mouthfeel.Silky smooth-one of the smoothest beers I think I have ever tried.An extremely drinkable beer but so big you really need to be "prepared".Does this come in smaller bottles or am I asking an "unworthy" question?If you thought the other "bastard" was arrogant look out for this sucker-PHEW!!!

lackenhauser, Mar 28, 2004
4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

Just opened this baby up. 22oz bomber with the usual tonguelashing from Stone on the back. Beautiful red color, small head that lingers. Smell is sweet and malty, just a slight musty hint. Taste is absolutely divine, like a velvet-gloved barleywine, just fills the mouth with flavor and grabs hold and won't let go. Exquisite to the extreme. Mouthfeel is warm and inviting with a hoppy backbone that tempts the soul to just drink some more. I'm extremely upset that I only had one of these in my fridge. Absolutely one of the best things I have ever tasted...

euskera, Mar 27, 2004
4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

Very dark amber color with a thin tan/off-white head. The smell is a very sublte sweetness with dark malt characteristics and a slight hop bitterness. The taste is unlike anything I've ever sampled and my tastebuds were confused to say the least. This seemed extremely close to a barleywine but dare I say smoother. Strong old malts and piney hops/citrus hops blend together to create a masterpiece. There are hints of caramel and an earthy feel. Again this is Outstanding! Citrus, spices, roasted strong malts, and an alcohol feel that warms the tummy for another sip. Not for the faint at heart, check with you physician before sampling.

stewart124, Mar 23, 2004
4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

2K3.
I'll admit it: I'm intimidated.

Not much of a head. Body looks like dark-stained hardwood. Beautiful.

Smells like grapefruits from 2 feet away. Mmmm, fresh pineapples and soy sauce. So far so good.

More pineapples! Right up front too. Slight alcohol bite on the tongue. Huge malt! I expected a hop-lovers beer, but this is quite the opposite. Bitter finish balances the very slight sweetness. I can feel a warmness in the pit of my stomach, and its spreading.

Not a lot of CO2, so the real mouthfeel comes through nicely. This is one thick beer. Keeps the sips small, but at 10%, that's OK.

Tastes amazing, but how many could you really drink before you'd be reduced to playing with your own poo?

This beer is just great. I picked a great one for a Sunday night sipper. While I will sing this beer's praises up and down, I would caution you against giving it to your friends. let's face it, they won't like it and you'll lament the loss of that sip. Also, when they tell you its "crap," you might get into a fight.

krberg, Mar 15, 2004
4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

It pours a coppery amber with dancing ruby highlights. A little less than a finger of off-white head dwindles rapidly to wisps of froth. Sticky swirls of lacing cling tenaciously to the inside of the glass.

The aroma brings a muscular wave of toasted malt sweetness battling a king's ransom of floral citrus hops. A caramel note wraps itself around a definitive nasal invasion of alcohol, muting the overall potency slightly.

Simply....Wow! The first sip brings a tongue lashing of poignant malt sweetness smoothly carrying the expected note of caramel, and even some berry holds its ground briefly before being utterly innundated by a dry grapefruit and florally creamy tsunami of hops. The dense pockets of flavor also pack a solid wallop of alcohol, keeping you attentive. It doesn't so much finish as thunder to a close with a legacy of currants and a mouth-drying hops bitterness. Bold and brash, it impressively balances some pretty big ticket flavor elements.

Heavy bodied, it lubricates slickly and coats sweetly, filling the mouth with chewy texture and leaving the tongue glowing hoppily.

It's meaty, beaty, big, and bouncy! Delivering on a reputation that's obviously well-earned, it's all I hoped for and more. Because of the hugeness the balance seems precarious, but it never falters. Like the rest of the beer, the ABV is big too, and it will smack you down if you let it. Still, I'd drink as many more of these as I could until I fell down, but I'm sure I'd be sorry come morning. I just wish every bastard I knew was as fun to be around as this one!

Foxman, Mar 12, 2004
3.48/5  rDev -18.5%

Now Quaffing: Stone Double Bastard ~ 650ml

Pours a deep, dark, hazy ruby with an agressive, sticky tan head. Nice webs of lacing as the beer recedes. Aroma is sweet, with noticeable hops and a light medicinal presence. Thick and smooth, with a nice malt presence in the beginning of each sip. Dark cherries with hints of alcohol followed by a citrusy hop presence, which dominates the finish, but balances out the beer on the whole. There is a slight medicinal aftertaste, which lingers a little longer than desired. Drinkability is not as good as some high abv beers I have had.

TripelJ, Mar 12, 2004
4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A tight, sticky, beige head sits atop the beautiful mahogany colored liquid and leaves behind wonderful lacing.

The aroma acts as a warning of what is to come. Citrus comes first with grapefruit and pineapple, followed by fresh pine. Next inviting scents of toffee and caramel maltiness let you know things will be alright. Then the smell of alcohol mocks you now that you're drawn in.

Flavor is very complex. Begins very smooth and creamy. Toffee, burnt sugar, fruits, and caramel kick things off. Toasted malt follows and then the tounge gets a lashing. Grapefruit and piney hops takeover allowing an earthy-woodiness to settle in the backround. Then comes the alcohol to say its peace as it warms the belly and lets you know the rollercoaster ride of flavor is over.

Full-bodied and creamy with mild carbonation. Drinkability takes a hit due to the richness and high alcohol of the brew.

This is a huge beer that is amazingly balanced for something that can be so malty and so hoppy at different times. The flavors tease each other to make something menacingly delicious. It smacks you around as you ask for more. Cheers to the Bastard!

Thanks to Jeff (brewmesum) for making this experience possible.

Lupe, Mar 07, 2004
4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Finally able to snag a bottle of this fabled brew at Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati. 2003 edition, It poured an amber red with a nice cream collar. I was expecting a huge hop profile but I was surprised when my first taste had more malt than hops! The hop flavor came through after I got over my initial shock. There is a little bit of alcohol evident which becomes more pronounced as the beer warms. There is a slight oily feeling left on the tongue which i actually enjoy. If drinking slowly the drinkability is amazingly high as I was able to finish off 2 bombers of this in one night(over about 3 hours) without fatiguing my palate. I love this beer and may have to stock so I can enjoy it year round.

soper2000, Mar 03, 2004
4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

'03 release. I've been sitting on this for a few months now, and settling in to watch "Boondock Saints" with a lovely lady seemed the right time to pop open the DB. She loves hops, so that helped a bit. Pours a deep mahogany. Very sticky beer, on the palate, in the glass...stickiness is the nature of this beast. Candy sweet nose, plenty of hops and alcohol as well. Alcohol is well hidden in the flavor. I actually expected this to be hoppier than it was. Don't get me wrong, there's a shitload of hops in this brew, but the maltiness is HUGE! Very roasty, moreso than its younger sibling. I'm glad that malt profile is so big, it balances this brew out so well. Resinous wood and pine notes are noticeable as well. Loads of flavor, a fantastic beer. I wouldn't expect anything less from the kids at Stone.

IrishRedRock, Mar 01, 2004
4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours a brownish copper color....impressve looking...little head...nose is malty and seet...dark fruits...cherries...plums...also some excellent molasses/brown sugar notes....body is firm, full and it exhibts a slightly spicy mouthfeel from the alcohol..definitely a sipper....big beer all the way..

Very tasty...sweet dark fruits and brown sugar dominate....alcohol spiciness slices into the sweetness(the alcohol spiciness feels almost like grain alcohol at times )....closes with a late piney hop feel...

Outstanding beer....feels like a BW to me...a standout....

ZAP, Feb 28, 2004
4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

This is a 2003 release that I drink at room temp.
The brew pours ruby/mahogany in color and a beige fluffy tightly packed head foams up easily and fades to a edge layer around my snifter.
The aroma is very fruity with hints of apple and pears also a floral hop aroma is present.
First sip reveals a gentle carbonation and creamy smooth texture.
The flavor is malty sweet up front with some earth and piney flavors in the middle and finish. The finish is also a little dry and vinous. I definitely get alcohol warmth on the way to my belly. This is a pretty tasty brew and fairly easy to drink for a 10% abv!

sulldaddy, Feb 28, 2004
4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Bomber bottle, enjoyed in paper cups at the Warwick NY Disc Golf Ice Bowl. This beer is the ultimate, huge, flavorful, over the top and strong. Big nose, big malt, crushing hop bitterness. Alcohol obviously present, but well in the background, Thick body feel, dances on and coats the tongue and entire mouth.Stone is setting the standard. Perfect brew for a winter, BBQ. Went great with spicy chili and hot sausage sandwedges.

Billolick, Feb 15, 2004
3.98/5  rDev -6.8%

Thanks to WRXbeerwagon for this. Pours a maple syrup reddish-brown with a sticky off-white head. Smells of sweet malts, rich caramel, and noticeable alcohol. Hops are bastardly huge. Taste: huge malt sweetness. Alcohol. Brandy. All balanced by big resiny hops. A little raw methinks, age might do this beer some good. Mouthfeel is thick, sugary, and big. Drinkability: I'm not worthy (every night).

alexgash, Feb 14, 2004
Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.