Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
4.02/5  rDev -5.6%

22oz bomber poured into a pint glass. Pours a ruby/amber with a yellow-ish half inch of head. I don't get any lacing whatsoever.

This smells very good. First thing I notice is a sweet cherry smell and then some caramel malt, spicy hops and finally alcohol. The sweet fruity cherry smell is much stronger than any of the other smells.

The sweetness in the smell barely comes through in the taste at first. My first thought after sipping this is that the alcohol is too overpowering....I sat back and let it warm a bit because I think it might have been too cold....It is indeed much better after it warms a bit. The sweet, matly cherry flavor hits your tongue first, then the hops come on strong and you finish with a mouthfull of alcohol. The hops combined with the high alcohol content give this brew an astringet quality if it's too cold, but this goes away as the beer warms.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and oily. The alcohol is warming in the mouth and all the way down into the stomach.

This is a good beer, but it truly is an assault on the taste buds.

2011 release

A - Pours a beautiful clear ruby red with one and a half fingers of light tan head. Head has good retention and leaves nice lacing.

S - Nice citrus hops and some pine, but the smell is dominated by tons of caramel malt. A mild alcohol presence.

T - Huge malt presence, mostly caramel. Hop bitterness finally comes in halfway through, with citrus and a bit of pine. A bit of alcohol burn on the finish. Bitterness does eventually catch up with the sweetness to yield a bitter semi-dry finish.

M - Sticky sweet full mouthfeel that burns bitter and semi-dry on the finish.

A - Quite a good strong ale, but halfway through the glass, I kind of wished I had a regular Arrogant Bastard. I love the bitterness, but the sweetness was a bit overwhelming over time.

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Nicely bitter taste, ameloriated by malt. Crimson with hops suds best appearing in a trappist glass. Floral and pine strong hoppy aroma. Grapefruit mid-sip, cheese aftertaste. Alcohol warming, feels like vodka.. Good with strong meat and caution not to have competing patatoes.

perhaps overrated.

Poured into a SN tulip.

A - A mahogany red color with a 1.5 creamy tan head. Average lacing.

S - Medium intensity of brown sugar, molasses, candy and perhaps a touch of floral scent.

T - Not what I was expecting from a Stone brew, but not bad at all. Just surprising to take that first sip and experience a smooth, malty sweet taste with overtones of dried fruit. A touch of hop bite on the back end. Apparent alcohol kick and heat also, but not overly so. Is this not a barleywine?

M - Lower carbonation than most brews and a syrupy mouthfeel.

O - A high quality ale that I plan to cellar for next fall and winter for sipping during colder weather. Again, this tastes nothing like other Stone beers I have tried but it is deserving of a place in my fridge and my cellar.

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

I have had this beer many times just getting around to a review.

2007 batch poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a great carmel brown with a thick foamy head. Great lacing on the sides of my tulip glass.

Pretty piney nose. I also smelled dried fruits in the nose.

This beer is a hop and malt monster. Smooth up front with the bitter hops kicking in in the back end.

This is slow sipper but pretty smooth concidering the high ABV. Actually quite drinkable.

Call me crazy but I this beer is much better with a bit of age on it. When I had the same batch fresh it was very harsh and bitter from the extreme level of hops used in this beer. The one I had last night was much smoother and mellow.

Reccomended. Another great beer from Stone.

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Sampled from a 2003 release 22oz bomber I bought last week at Whole Foods Market in Pasadena. Has a clear cinnamon color with a ¾” blotchy, firm tan/beige head that left a decent amount of sticky lace around the glass.
The smell was more subdued than anticipated. Still, the spruce and grapefruit notes are there and some caramel. As it warmed, hints of alcohol leach out too. The taste was a direct hit from a hops bomb. Plenty of resinous grapefruit peel and piney hops juice yet not completely overpowering as it coats the tongue. Some sweet candy-ish flavor noted but not very much else in terms of malts or other flavors. The alcohol content shows itself with a nice bit as DB warms, leaving a soothing warming sensation in the finish. The feel was full-bodied, thick and syrupy and smooth as the viscous brew coats the palate. I almost felt like getting a knife and fork for this beer.
Even after slowly putting away this bomber, I was still wondering if the floor would soon rise up to greet me, such is the alcohol content. As such, I don’t see myself ever drinking more than one Double Bastard at a sitting. I’ll be very interested in seeing how this edition ages.

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Mothers Day 2005. Perhaps not the best way to honor my mother, but...

Appearance:
An aggressive pour brought out a head that would make rootbeer proud, big fat bubbles sitting on a creamy looking base. A pretty copper/ruby color, with a nice train of carbonation running up the sides. Left thick lace as the level of beer receeded.

Stink:
When I stick my nose into my glass, it is greeted by a tangy plum raisins alchohol bouquet. Yeasty biscuits come to mind too.

Taste:
Fruity. Apples, mostly, but certainly an undercurrent of something else. Warming alchohol follows everything, and provides a little tang.The biscuty malt provides a base for everything, the hops are very mild, but show up as the beer warms.

Feel:
Smooth, yet solid. The subdued hop presence never the less provides a bit of oil to the feel, the complexities of the flavor a little tang. It feels solid, thick.

Drinka:
Whew. Drinkable, but a sipper. A lot going on with the beer, all of it good. Halfway through a glass (which was only half a big bottle) I can feel it, a pleasant warmth that I can't attribute to the spring sunshine.

Overall:
An interesting beer. I like it, but it is a sipper, a thinker of a beer. Not something I would sit at the back deck (if I had one) and drink, but an enjoyable beer for sure. I have yet to finish the bottle, but I certainly won't be driving anywhere this mothers day, thanks to the bastard.

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

A bomber of this year's double bastard will end better than the last time I drank it in 2002 which ended in coffee mugs being thrown at neighbors houses.

This beer pours a dark ruby brown with some orange highlights. Not much of a head. thin lacing on the outside.

I have a stuffed nose so I cant smell much. But what I do smell is hops, sweet malts, and not much alcohol for being 10%

This beer is better than what I remembered and a deeper taste than the arrogant bastard. Piney stingy, hops, some alcohol, good malt taste, I think this beer is a little hot right now, age this puppy and you'll get a lot more flavors out of this predominantly malty brew.

Excellent beer. If you have one, you like to gamble and it will pay off.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bomber from Lee's Las Vegas NV for 7.99+tax - 2012 Edition

Appearance - Slightly hazy dark copper with a large size fizzy/frothy beige coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some good lacing. The head lasted for around over 5 minutes.

Smell - Hops, malts, anise, dark fruits, leather, booze

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste caramel/butterscotch, malts, and hops. There is also some anise, earthy notes, and some dark fruits, I can pick up on the booze and the beer finishes with a malty sweet and hoppy aftertaste.

Overall – Been wanting to try this one for a while. It definitely packs a punch and has a lot of flavour. And even with all the flavour it seems to have a good balance. I imagine that this would be even more powerful fresh, I'd love to see what it's like on tap. I have a 2010 tucked away and it will be interesting to see how it's held up. A beer worthy of the hype for sure.

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

A: Hard to pin a color on this, but dark amber, ruby, old copper come to mind. Beautiful bi-colored head. Mostly tan with some white accents. Very inviting.

S: Sweet malt with bitter hops. I'd like to say I smell more here, but really can't. What I am able to sense is good though.

T: Malt is what you notice first, but it doesn't take long for the piney/grapefruity hops to assert themselves. Dry, sticky finish. Malts come back a little in the aftertaste. Really nice how the malt and hops playoff one another. Well balanced.

M: Almost bubbly which is surprising considering how dry it finishes. Some stinging.

D: It'll take a little while to finish a bomber of this by yourself, but with that said, this is a very drinkable beer. The dry quality really slows things down, especially towards the end as the beer warms to near room temp. This beer is too good to rush through anyway. Need to drink some water to rehydrate and reset my palate a bit.

This is one that I've been meaning to pick up for a while and certainly glad I finally pulled the trigger.

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Served out of a bottle into a chalice glass (my wife just broke my nice tulip glass!)

A: A nice rich amber brown with a merky fill and a subtle froth head. Mild lacing.

S: Nice and sweet with noticable alcohol undertones.

T: Its about time I get to taste this...very nice! Malty and nutty front with lingering finish and a snap of bitterness in the end.

M: Velvety on the tounge. sharp carbination.

O: This one is nice! Great color and aroma, just the right amount of nutty/sweet flavors and a great (although bitter) finish. Alcohol content very sneaky...

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

This is a 2003 release that I drink at room temp.
The brew pours ruby/mahogany in color and a beige fluffy tightly packed head foams up easily and fades to a edge layer around my snifter.
The aroma is very fruity with hints of apple and pears also a floral hop aroma is present.
First sip reveals a gentle carbonation and creamy smooth texture.
The flavor is malty sweet up front with some earth and piney flavors in the middle and finish. The finish is also a little dry and vinous. I definitely get alcohol warmth on the way to my belly. This is a pretty tasty brew and fairly easy to drink for a 10% abv!

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours an amber, dark copper with a medium, foamy, persistent tan head.

Aroma consists of sweet malt, pine, hops, pineapple and a slight, spicy hint of alcohol.

HUGE malt character blends well with a sweet pineapple, fruity flavor. A bitter, pine hop implosion takes over mid sip. There is a bit of spicy alcohol and pepper in the bitter aftertaste. At fifty degrees, the alcohol taste slightly overpowers the other flavors. As it warms, the sweet malt character reclaims the dominance, rendering this a smooth brew.

Mouthfeel is heavy and quite viscous. Surprisingly, this is not overly syrupy. Quite the drinkable sipping brew!

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

2007 vintage. Served into a Double Bastard serving glass. Thanks baby!

Rather impressive looking carmel colored ale that has a brown strained head. Sticky on the glass.

Big time carmel malt bomb, the aroma is.

A big beer for sure. Malt bomb with carmel out the ass, then followed by a mean bitterness. Alcohol is well hidden but the strength is there and not to be mistaken. Big time fruity esters, and a surprising amount of hops.

Not as sticky and viscous as I suspected. Hinting towards a creamy, low carbonation mouthfeel.

Drinkability is good, although it gets hairy towards the end when it sucks all the moisture out of you. It went down quicker than I thought it would.

I like this better than Old Guardian and much much better than Arrogant Bastard.

Cheers!

on tap at Papago Brewing

It came to me a burnt amber color with a nice large foamy head that laced my glass nicely.

smelled of hops and malt.. not the flowery hops i dislike so much but more of a earthy, piney hop flavor.

Taste was slightly bitter, made you notice it, but it was one of the more balanced stone offerings i have had. There was a strong enough malt backbone to balance all the flavors and make it very tasty.

It was heavy but not thick. easy to drink.

I could drink a couple of these if i hadnt been driving home.. but i did grab a growler for when i got home :)

2006 bottle on 10-28: This is not the same beer aged at all. Where did the hops go? With age this beer becomes way too sweet and heavy. This is a reminder to myself, buy this every winter, and drink up. Yes, at 10% alcohol you can age, but why? Much, much better fresh IMHO.

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours a copper amber color with an off-white head that sticks around for awhile. Smells very sweet, getting lots of caramel malts in this one very little hop presence in this one. Taste very similar to smell. Very malty and sweet, and caramel. There is a more noticeable hop presence on the finish of this one. I'm surprised at the lack of hoppiness in this brew from Stones. Good carbonation, but the sweetness of this one is a little much.

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

This is one mother of a beer. I think the lable should have a skull with crossbones to inform the consumer of what to expect. This beer has a full onslaught of malt and hops that will even take the most professional of beer drinkers down to their knees. This beer is not for the timid and even the worthy of his Arrogant brother may be no match for this beer. Although, I did have fun photographing the unworthys 'bitter beer face' upon drinking this stuff.

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

A - Pours a Darkish Red, very thin off white head that decimates with each sip, not to much lacing around the glass on this one

S - Hops, Citrusy, very sweet malts.

T - The taste on this is very unique, sweet taste of brown sugar with some bitter fruits like grapefruit at the tail end.

M - Nice and thick with little carbination

D - Good beer, definitely would like to try again

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

2009 bottle into my imperial pint glass.

A: Clear red orange hue. With emphasis on the red. Huge three fingers of cream colored head. Thick coating of lace left behind. Great retention. Nice cap.

S: Huge boquet of piney hops are the first thing to greet me. Past that I pick up tons of sweet caramel malt, blood oranges and sweet tarts. Just a hint of heat from the alcohol. Very barley wine like.

T: Holy bitter citrus and pine! Luckily after a few sips the malt steps its game up. Caramel malt helps tame this one a bit. Still a huge hop bomb with a dry bitter finish.

M: Medium to full body with modest carbonation. Dry as a bone.

D: Overall it's a Stone beer for sure. Not for the faint of heart. I will savor this one slowly as I finish the bomber.

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

A - Pours a clear mahogany with almost no carbonation. A fairly hard pour yields a couple of inches of very thick light tan head. A finger's worth of this remains firmly in place. Lovely.

S - Toffee, pine, resin, floral, mild citrus.

T - Initial flavour is floral, mixed with pine. Toffee appears in the middle, before the hops burst out once again in the finish. Their resinous quality linger in a long finish, along with tobacco.

M - Very syrupy with soft carbonation. The longer it sits in the mouth the thicker it becomes.

D - A tasty sipper with interesting mouthfeel. Aroma and taste not as complex as I'd hoped. No sign of the 10% ABV makes it a dangerous one.

2009 Vintage

A: Pours a murky red-brown with more foamy lacing than any other beer I've ever seen. Sweet cascading effect (similar to Guinness) when poured.

S: Sweet malt and hops, pear, citrus, and grapefruit. Smells a bit like an IPA, but with a much stronger malt profile.

T: The best way I can think to describe this is a cross between a Belgian Strong Dark Ale and an IPA. Some malts up front give way to a slew of sweeter flavors: dark fruits, pine, grapefruit. Sweetness gives way to a potent, bitter hop finish. Booze is also very apparent throughout. This is a very unique flavor that achieves pretty good balance between some unique elements. I think after this ages a year or two it will be even better.

M: Medium body, boozy and warm.

D: This is a pretty unique brew in my opinion. Lots of interesting flavors that balance out pretty well with each other. Even though I feel this is more of a sipper, drinkability is pretty good for the style and amount of alcohol that is readily apparent. I think with a year or two of age this one will be even better than it already is.

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Awesome artwork on the bottle. I like the essays on the Stone bottles telling you that you are not worthy of it and can't handle it. Pours a beautiful ruby, copper with some orange around the edges - thick tan creamy head that lasts and good sticky lacing throughout.
S - malty, earthy, citrus, pine.
T - great googly moogly! This really is a double bastard. It truly is double strength Arrogant Bastard - all around. Sweet maltiness is balanced by bitter hops. There is some orange peel citrus, earthy, can taste the alcohol.
M & D - smooth considering the strength of the taste as well as the ABV. You can taste and feel the high content. This would be a great one to cellar for a while and see how it changes. Drinkable if in the mood but can't have more than one and cannot drink this quickly - very strong in many ways. Great beer.

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Had on-tap at WOB poured into a snifter

A-A deep chestnut with hints of orange, medium creamy head that dissipated rather quickly (due to the high abv i would assume) however leaves excellent lacing

S-Hops, citrus and brown sugar, hints of caramel and alcohol

T-The taste is like the smell but much much more, the alcohol and citrus take a lot more of the flavor here than in the nose, there is still an extreme hop presence that drew me to the beer in the first place

M-Medium body with decent carbonation the hop and alcohol sting and bubble is one of my favorites out there

D-Overall another great brew from stone, however I didn't enjoy this one as much as their Arrogant or Oaked Arrogant but that's not an important point. What is important is the fact that this is a great beer

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours out a viscous dark reddish brown that reveals a clearish ruby cast when held up to the light; Thick tan head two fingers thick in my tulip fades to a tightly bubbled ring and an island of tan bubbles surrounded by the thinnest scum of a head. Thin but persistent curls of lacing are left behind.

I've been waiting to sample this one for a long time, but really haven't been sure what to expect other than 'one lacerative mother of a beer'...

The nose surprises me at once, very sweet and fruity and light; I expected evil hop resin scents to reach out and beat me up a bit. Lots of honeyish notes, biscuit, and if you really get your nose in there, rising swirls of rummy alcohol.

Wow, very smooth on the palate! Lots of alcohol, but it's presented well - it's made into a centerpoint of the beer, and the warmth and flavor of it burn a trail all the way down. Surrounding that tight, rummy love are surprisingly smooth flavors - a little honey, some more wheat and oat notes, and a lot of tart fruity esters. Lots of esters. (I love sounding like I know what I'm talking about) Mostly, lots of alcohol. This is like drinking tasty spirits.

Pretty slick, light carbonation, which is proper; Medium-full body, clean finish except for the lingering caramel burn of alcohol.

For what this beer is, it's nice and drinkable... At least in the sense that drinking one is great fun. (And the one I drank was about 8oz). More than that would put you on your ass. Enjoy!

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Doops broke this bottle out as a night capper on New Years Eve. We loved the Arrogant Bastard, so it was cool to check out the steroid version. Good choice my man!

From a bomber into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Pours a one finger, medium looking, off-white head with good retention. A maroon red body is transparent and shows medium levels of carbonation. Head slowly fades to a good foamy wisp and clings to the sides. A ring remains until the end and leaves lots of nice lacing down the glass. A beauty of a beer.

SMELL: A bolder nose of caramel malts, toffee notes and plenty of hops. Lots of floral hops and some grassy notes.

TASTE: Follows the nose nicely. Caramel and toffee sweetness up front, with a good dose of floral and hop bitterness at the finish. Bold and lingering aftertaste with a good balance of caramel sweetness and bitter, floral hop flavors, with some grassy and piney notes as well.

PALATE: Medium-full body with medium levels of carbonation. Very creamy smooth on the palate, goes down smooth, no bite, and finishes slightly mouth-coating. Good feel.

OVERALL: Another solid offering from Stone. This is clearly the Arrogant Bastard’s older brother, with more malt on the bill and a greater dose of hops as a counter weight. This one is a sweeter, more caramel and toffee forward brew than the younger sibling, and as a result is a little more simple. Lots of sweetness and lots of bitter hops, but not as much nuanced complexity perhaps. Regardless, we really enjoyed this and I’d gladly pick up more if I saw it. Thanks again for sharing Doops. Recommended.

Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.