Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,045 | Hads: 6,368
2.95/5  rDev -30.8%

served into a nonic glass from a 22oz. brown bomber crimped-cap

Mirky,deep reddish/brown,looks a bit like apple cider.2'' thick off-white head,very dense and creamy leaving a thick pillow of foam sitting on top of the beer. Very good retention,leaving thick rings of lace down the sides of the glass.

Good moderate, complex aromas with a good balance,Citrusy,piney,clean,a dark fruitty nose a hint of plums,also a hint of pineapple.

An intense sweet malty taste thats very syrupy,hot alcohol tastes. An intense citrus rind bite,very grapefruitty,a resiny and an oily hop feel
A clean mid taste,finishes with a balanced blast of carmell and citrus/pine. Fruitty overtones throughout the taste. The bitterness was like chewing on lemon rinds.No bad tastes jusy a bit much for my tastes.

A thick,cloying mouthfeel,very sticky.rough on the palate.
Started to get a bit more drinkable, just too overpowering of a taste.
Had a hard time finishing this bomber. An overrated beer in my opinion.

2.95/5  rDev -30.8%

Ba Review #88
Served On: 11/15/2011
Glassware: Snifter Glass
Labeled ABV: 10.5%
Date/ Code: 2011 Release

Snagged up two 22oz bombers from the Ye Old Spirit Shop in Frederick, Md.

Look: Muddy brown with a deep red hue when swirling the glass. Head was a dense tan foam with excellent retention given the high ABV.

Smell: A candy sugar with some heavy sweet malts and a super ripe grapefruit note. Extremely pungent, almost like a barley wine.

Taste: First on the palate was a sweet dark cherry with heavy sugars that quickly tuned into an extreme hop bitterness in the middle. Then ripe grapefruit hit for a split second, followed by an intense dry and lingering bitter finish. No real alcohol heat, but that's not enough to save this one in my eyes.

Honestly? This beer was certainly not what I was expecting. I felt the overall character was reminiscent of a typical barley wine with some added bitterness and grapefruit. I can see where the middle was basically an Arrogant Bastard x2. The beginning and the end completely threw me off. The extreme sweetness and the high level of bitterness did not add up to anything special to me. Very disappointing – especially with a $10.00 price tag. Thanks anyway Stone.

2.96/5  rDev -30.5%

A - Pours clear dark amber with a frothy, lasting head.

S - Loses some points here. Hops mixed with rubbing alcohol. Yes, it is 10.5% ABV but other brews with this power mask it a little better. Seemed fine on the surface whiffs but when tilted for a sip it releases a clear alcohol hit.

T - Big hops punch up front, finishes a little bitter/sour with a warming feel that still lets some notable alcohol taste sneak through.

M - On each sip it starts syrupy but swallows thin.

D - It would certainly pack a punch if downed quick and easy but the notable alcohol notes in the smell and finish will slow people down. Not something I could drink more than a glass or two of in one sitting. UPDATE: In fact, when I went back to finish the bottle an hour later I ended up with a half a glass that I just wasn't interested in finishing. Once it warms up it a little it stuck me as more of a mixed vodka cocktail in unmasked alcohol content. Wasn't feeling it. Adjusting D from 3.5 to 3.

Labeled "2008 Release" and suggested that it be aged at 55F or below. I picked it up a month ago but didn't see the note and it spent maybe two days in the fridge. I suppose with age at the right temp it would improve. Worth a try but I probably wouldn't buy again.

I enjoyed the regular AB more. Double AB seems to ride its admittedly entertaining "I'm a rebel that you REALLY won't like" claim to a higher rating than it may deserve.

Note: After reviewing I skimmed the other reviews. It seems strange how some people describe this beer as cloudy while others (like myself) see it as completely clear. Would aging or bottling dates really make that much of a difference?

2.97/5  rDev -30.3%

Poured a nice dark amber color with barely any head. The aroma is pungently hoppy and alcoholic. There is a doughyness to it with hints of caramel and dark fruit. The flavor is rich and hoppy and bready. The alcohol is quite apparent throughout the drinking. Raisin and other dark fruit flavor is VERY strong.
The feel is flat. Did I get a bad bottle? I was concerned with the no head pour but this is just sad. Syrupy, no carbonation. Tastes like a hopped up cough syrup. I will have to review this as soon as I get a new bottle. Dissapointing.

2.99/5  rDev -29.8%

Vintage 2012,
Pours copper, light tan central dome and rim with some confluent etching. Smells of alcohol, hops (weed, resin, grapefruit and some tea) plenty of crystal malts, some more tea some more booze, a bit of nougat and vanilla and banana. Flavor is bitter, boozy and sweet. Lots of malt, lots of bittering hops, plenty of alcohol character. Medium bodied with moderate carb. I don't think I care for this fresh. Not at all.

vintage 2010- 15AUG11 - 2/4/3.5/3.5/4-3.63
A: Pours a turbid copper ale with less than a single finger of light peanut foam. This dissipates rather quickly to a mirror surface and a central cap of foam. No lacing. Surprised at how turbid this is.
S: Caramel malts, toffee, richly blended. Really nice smell, and for some reason, when I take a good long hit of this, I get candied and mulled orange smells. I dig it. Reminds me of a well aged barley wine.
T: Sweet and bready with a midline transition highlighting the alpha acid in here. Then an additional mutation to a slightly oxidized and metallic grain bed. Above average for sure.
M: Medium on heavy for the style with moderate to lo carb. Transient slick on the palate falls dry at the end.
O: Good beer. Look foward to reviewing fresh.

Dark leather brown color . Spectacular head . The aroma is one of fruit and alcohol ...The taste is groovy . The finish lets you know that there is some booze in it . My Irish cheeks are now red - meaning the alcohol is in there . 2 of these will get me through tonights Super Bowl . Be careful .

I loved Arrogant Bastard, and was excited to try Double Bastard, because I thought I would like something even more intense. However, I did not enjoy this beer. It was far too much for me. Given the flavor of these two beers, maybe something called Bastard and a Half would be better for me.

Appearance - Dark brown with a creamy tan head.

Aroma - Light pine resin smell.

Palate - Light carbonation that is smooth on the palate.

Flavor - Smooth citrus hop flavor.

Final thoughts - Very nice although I much prefer Stone's Arrogant bastard to the double bastard.

look: 4.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Poured into a standard, British pint glass.

A - 4.75 - Pours a lovely, rich, dark rust and ruby color. Forms about a finger of quickly dissipating, medium tan colored head. Whispy lacing left on the walls of the glass.
S - 2.25 - Smell is pretty boring to me. Light touches of malt and hops with a strong imperial pilsner aroma.
T - 3 - Beer is quite a malt bomb, definitely needs time to age even though the labeling states to enjoy fresh as well. Upfront there are sweet extremely malty tones, reminiscent of an imperial IPA that has sat too long, but in someway you can tell it is intentional here. This fades into the classic, over the top hoppy bitterness Arogant Bastard is known and loved for. There are some more subtle notes of things like raisins and dark fruits in the back, but these but is just too malty for me.
F - 3.75 - Decent bodied beer.
O - 3 - Middle of the road score here. Wish I had let it age a bit longer, but Stone should not encourage the drinking of this beer fresh on their bottle! I think more breweries should follow in the footsteps of Deschutes and put a best AFTER date on their bottle! All in all, and OK beer as is, can taste potential with some aging though!

Regular Arrogant Bastard I gave a 5/5 and is in my top-5 ever, but ehhh .. I just can't drink much of this stuff. Maybe proof that there can be too much of a good thing?

Poured / looked / tasted ordinary. I feel like I can purchase a beer of this quality at a far cheaper price. Poured a lighter color and more cloudy than I expected. It also seems like the hops overpower other flavors which might be present in the beer.

(I had this one at room temperature)
Appearance - Dark amber in color similar to maple syrup. Moderately good lacing as it is consumed.
Smell - As with Arrogant Bastard ale and with a few other American ales I have tried, I immediately smell the hops. I can also smell a little malt.
Taste - I can most certainly taste the hops. No other flavors hit my palate.
Mouthfeel - Slightly carbonated and it's somewhat creamy.
Overall - I give this one a 3. Looks a little better than it tastes but then again, I'm not a big fan of hoppy American ales.

3.03/5  rDev -28.9%

22 oz Bomber. Pours nice, dark copper colored, very nice initial head .Surprisingly the first impression on the tongue is sweet, caramel. Too sweet IMO. Very decent hop presence,but over all the tilt toward sweet IMO is just a little much for me. I was expecting to be blown away and I wasn't, Oaked Arrogant Bastard is a better brew. Arrogant Bastard is a better brew. Worth a try by all means, but not my favorite from Stone.

3.05/5  rDev -28.4%

This beer just seemed an example of trying to do too much. The appearance and smell both seemed to bode well, with a very complex array of scents and aromas, everything from grasslike hints to a spicy cinnamon. I found the taste to be sort of all over the place. It was very obtuse with a very strong alcohol feel throughout. The hops seemed to work in opposition to the early maltiness and the alcohol burn was another confounding factor with the spices seemingly out of kilter as well. It wasn't terrible, just not particularly pleasing. The mouthfeel was nice but not really noteworthy as well. I found that the whole beer could be summed up in one word: unbalanced. I was surprised considering the amount of hype surrounding this brew.

3.06/5  rDev -28.2%

2003 edition. nice brown body and decent head for a 10% beer. Smells very malty and fruity, classic barley wine smell. strong alcohol and roasted malt flavor, not much fruit at all. astringent alcohol aftertaste. mouth feel is decent, but the lack of flavor besides alcohol and malt turns me off.

3.08/5  rDev -27.7%

2007 Release, poured from a bomber into my large St. Feuillien goblet, Double Bastard is clear dark ruby with a small but thick, olive tinged off-white head.

Smell is mainly a big punch of citrus hops, pineapple and grapefruit, although a rich sweet malt background lets you know that you're not dealing with another big IPA. Since I've been drinking winter warmers lately, it reminds me of a super hoppy one of those, with noticeably more alcohol. I'd rather more balance from the malt, the hops make it rather one dimensional.

Taste is also super hoppy, with a hugely bitter, dry, clean booze finish. There is some sweet, gingerbread like malt lying behind all the hops and fusels, but it's probably too fresh for my taste right now. The aftertaste just won't stop, super astringent and boozy.

Mouthfeel is thick and oily, not much carbonation.

Drinkability is on the lower side. This one pretty much burns with every swallow. Sure it softens some as it warms, but it also gains viscosity. Frankly, I'd normally lower pretty much every category, except for the fact that it's so fresh, and I assume it's better with age. There's also maybe some high score bias, as much as I try to avoid that, I can't ignore the hype behind this one, which I'm not really liking. I love robust american barelywines, but this one's just harsh, and I'm a fan of extreme beer. Time will tell if they're arrogant or just fooling themselves.

3.13/5  rDev -26.5%

Light ruby color and transparent. Big head for the style recedes pretty quickly but maintains a solid layer of foam over the liquid. Lacing sticks in lines and blotches on the glass.

Complex malty aroma with burnt molasses, caramel, dates and hints of tropical fruits. Tough to tell if the tropical, citric aromas are coming from the malt or the hops. Aggressive pine aroma as well. Smells like an American barleywine or malt forward DIPA like 90 minute IPA.

Some of the fruit flavors come through with mild dates but is overpowered by lemon rind, raw radishes, dish detergent and ultra tart and bitter grapefruit. Caramel is there but weak. Hops are intense and linger into the aftertaste with an odd tartness that overwhelms the palate and only intensifies in the first twenty seconds after each sip. One thing I can say is that I can't taste any alcohol although alcohol flavor may be more pleasant.

Full-bodied and somewhat sticky. Good carbonation though short-lived. Finish is super dry with a rough texture.

I love arrogant bastard but they went overboard on this one. There's no balance. It would be different if the hops actually tasted good. Am I alone in thinking that grapefruit and soap do not taste good? Not sure what they were thinking. Has a few things going for it that prevent me from pouring it down the drain. Won't be rechallenging this one. It has complexity but without balance you're left with a mediocre beer at best.

3.15/5  rDev -26.1%

2012 vintage

A - pours a cloudy and ominous brownish red. It has a creepy reminiscence to blood. Small tannish head that quickly turns to just a ring around the rim.

S - the strong aromas assault the nose. Fusel alcohol and medicinal cherry are at the forefront. Notes of toffee and nuts show off the powerful malt character. Lots of resiny hop character round out the nose.

T - lots of sweetness on the front end. Caramel, toffee, and white sugar. The middle is full of biting bitter citrus peel and sweet cherry fruit. Finish is reminiscent of sugar coat grapefruit.

M - full bodied. Rather viscous and heavy on the palate even with the high and bubbly carbonation.

O - way too sweet and boozy for me at this point. I did tuck two other bottles away and hopefully my opinion of this ale will change as it changes with time.

3.16/5  rDev -25.8%

Nice deep burnt orange brown color, retaining a thin brown head. Still struggling to define the aroma, wife says 'pineapple? fruity?'. I smell nothing. Very malty flavor with excellent body, then the alcohol steps in and punches you in the mouth. To me, it left behind a 'dried grain fortified with vodka' aftertaste. My God, my lips are numb! I would probably drink this again, but not the wife. Started the sample at 50 deg., and as it warms, it actually seems to mellow and get better.

3.16/5  rDev -25.8%

I love Arrogant Bastard because I feel like it's the perfect balance of old school, hair-on-your-chest brewing, plus enough warming alcohol to give you a kick in the pants. In fact, it's one of my all-time favorites.

But I feel like Double Bastard is just that same beer on steroids... stronger, but with shrunken testicles.

3.17/5  rDev -25.6%

A: Brownish-red. A more amber body than the mahogany Arrogant Bastard. Far less carbonation. A khaki head that disappears much quicker. Not as sexy as A.B.

S: Slight hop scent. A little bubble gum. Sweet.

T: Heavy on the alcohol. Dry, alcoholic finish. That's about it.

M: Dry, smoothe, dry. A nice tingle on the tongue. Bitter.

OVERALL: Oh, don't get me wrong. This beer is good, but it's nothing new and it's nothing that keeps me interested in discovering more about the flavor. It's like a heavy scotch. Dry, has bite, and get me drunk without tasting bad at all. I wouldn't write home about it, but I'd get it again just to get hammered.

NOTE: Live review. (I would like to revisit this beer in the near future)

3.18/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This beer was totally different from any beer I have ever tasted. It kind of kicked my ass. Very strong alcohol taste. Burned going down like a shot of whiskey. It was good, but not what I'm looking for in a beer. I can see how some other people might like it , but it's not for me.

3.2/5  rDev -24.9%

Bomber. Poured a deep copper with a fairly decent head that stuck around, leaving some lacing behind. Aroma is very malty with plenty of hops. Taste is well.... some people can find malt in there, well all I taste is hops, hops and more hops. Mouthfeel starts out smooth and mildly sweet, then what rears it's mightly head? hops, hops, and more hops! To me this is just another IPA, more than a Strong/old ale. A true hop lovers dream. But for me it is just overpoweringly bitter.

3.21/5  rDev -24.6%

2013 vintage. Bottled on 9/14/13. 22oz bottle poured into a snifter. Pours a hazy copper with a fluffy off-white head that fades and leaves great lacing and retention. The aromas are loaded with sweet caramel malts. Lots of orange zest. Lots of lemon. The flavors are extremely bold. Tons of caramel with hints of toffee. There's a nice amount of citrus. It's pretty boozy. Lots of pine resin. The malts and hops are definitely battling eachother for supremacy. It's pretty spicy. It finishes hot. Mouthfeel is very nice. It's full-bodied with active carbonation. Very smooth and creamy. Alcohol is definitely noticeable. This is a quintessential sipper.

This beer is named appropriately. I've had it before, but never this fresh. It's a hardcore brew. It's ultimately just a huge beer. There's too many alcohol notes for my taste. It's still fun to drink. I will say it starts off rough around the edges, but it comes together the more you drink it. It's well crafted though, just like all of Stone's beers. I absolutely understand the appeal. This beer is a good one to throw in the cellar. I might re-review this one with an aged bottle in the future.

3.21/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I've really enjoyed everything I've had by Stone--a lot--except for this beer, which I've now had once several months aged, and once very fresh. I will give it credit for being a unique experience, and certainly an arrogant one (even doubly arrogant), but it's a bit like drinking watered-down caramel syrup mixed with Robitussin and ethyl alcohol. I finished it, and certainly preferred the fresh version, but it was more a chore and duty than a real pleasure. I've had bigger beers, even a couple much bigger beers, and I found them easier to drink and tastier than this one. I've also had Stone's IRS, Old Guardian, Ruin 10, which are similar, at least, in terms of their size; and enjoyed them all vastly more. Indeed, one or two of them are among my very favorites. But this one's just a little too much (of syrupy medicinal malts) for me.

Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.