Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros

biscuitroller, Oct 20, 2012

hoppyboy69, Oct 02, 2013

GreyGhost4, Feb 05, 2012

Sinewave, Jan 01, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -41.5%

Honestly, I had to double check this beer was fresh I found it so unenjoyable. But being bottled on 9/06/13 an 11% ABV beer should be fresher than fresh. Just a gross alcohol malt bomb with hardly any hop bitterness that isn't just completely burned to shit by all the alcohol taste. Sort of syrupy, and I have no idea how this is classified as ASA rather than a Barleywine. This almost makes me not want to try to the Southern Charred that should be hitting shelves soon.

laglocal, Nov 25, 2013
2.6/5  rDev -39.1%

1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into N'Ice Chouffe stemware in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

A: Pours a two finger head of nice cream, good thickness, and great retention for the high ABV. Colour is a dark caramel brown. Semitransparent. Appealing.

Sm: Grapefruit is dominant, with some candied sugar, yeast, and other vague citrus esters. Aroma is mild in strength. It's alright, but it doesn't really jump out and grab me.

T: Pleasant grapefruit is the first thing I notice. The caramel and HEAVY candy sugar, however, are not so pleasant. They do help cover the alcohol - which I don't notice, but it's too sweet overall. I feel like my teeth are rotting with every sip. It's anything but balanced; it needs to tame the candy sugar considerably. It's built alright, but it's far from a good beer.

Mf: Tingly and overly soft from the candy sugar abundance. It's abnormally, artificially soft and it really bothers me. Also, it's too thick.

Dr: They seemed to build the beer around hiding the ABV, and in that respect it succeeds. But the insane amount of candied sugar hides the best aspects of the beer: the citrusy notes and yeast. It may be worth a try for hardcore fans of Belgian beers that rely on candied sugar, but I think most middle of the road beer drinkers will be as turned off as I was.

kojevergas, Nov 18, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -38.4%

2006 bottle; fresh

i really wanted to like this, because i like arrogant bastard very much, but i'm just not sure about this one. despite all of the bold, manly, demonic rantings on the bottle, all this beer really seems to say is "oooh, look at me, look at me, pick me, tell me i'm pretty!!!" maybe it could be called Cheap Whore -- i mean, that would come with its own implications of burning sensations, correct?

the beer looks great -- deep deep blood red, very intriguing.

the beer smells like someone decided to make a boiler maker with arrogant bastard. it smells like someone dropped a shot of rot gut vodka into it. even that, to me, is kind of intriguing. i'm never one to shy away from the burn of rugged liquor.

taste: how do you berate something for tasting bad when it seems like it's supposed to taste bad? there are actually a lot of great flavors in this beer (a la arrogant bastard), but they are being smothered to death by the gaudy amount of hops. 10% is not all that wild of an alcohol content. there are a lot of beers that have 10% or more, that do an excellent job of balancing the abv with the rest of the beer. this is not one of those beers. somehow, despite the show pony hop levels, the alcohol still tastes like 5 o'clock vodka. and as for the hop level itself, there are plenty of hugely hopped (and delicious) beers that manage to strike something of a balance with the other ingredients. again, this is not one of those beers.

mouthfeel is fine. it feels way more balanced than it tastes, that's for sure. the extra oil from the hops is kind of nice.

drinkability -- i almost dumped it out, wishing i had opened up any one of the number of exciting beers i have in the fridge. to claim that this beer is highly drinkable seems like a rod-measuring contest, if you catch my drift.

i'm not done with this beer, because for some reason, i really want to like it. i'll buy a couple to cellar for 2 and 4 years, and i'll probably try another fresh one this year. maybe i just got a crappy bottle, but i highly doubt it. this should be sold to brohams at the x-games, because it's so X-TREEEEME!!!

schusterbauer, Dec 01, 2006
2.65/5  rDev -37.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Sampled 12-11-06
2006 Edition

Smooth pour out of the bottle, deep red color with a nice amber head.

Strong aroma of hops, with other smells of citrus fruit and little smokiness.

Taste is good, until the alcohol hits. Smoky malt at first, and then a huge hop hit. But, whatever good flavors come out at the beginning are totally covered up by the brutal alcohol punch-in-the-teeth at the end. Extremely unbalanced, and almost difficult to drink.

Mouthfeel is decent, hard to keep it in your mouth long enough to get a good idea.

Drinkability is not good. Prevalent alcohol bite overwhelms the good points of the beer.

Overall I was disappointed with this beer, which was a surprise because I like more extreme brews. I probably won't try this again unless it has aged for a while.

BMoney575, Dec 13, 2006

2007 Release.

Pours a deep mahogany with a dense two finger head that fades slowly to a solid cap. The lacing is very sticky, leaving a thick sheeting of foam behind.

Smell; brown sugar and caramel malts dominate this one, but there's also a mild undercurrent of some fruits. Oranges and peaches, with a toch of cherries. Some alcohol adds a bit of spiciness to the aroma.

Taste; sweet, with brown sugar, caamel and sugar covered dates and then a big wave of hop bitterness kicks you in the mouth. The fruits are present, but are a bit harder to pick out idue to a harsh bitter, almost metallic taste, with an overpoweringly strong alcohol presence. .

Mouthfeel is full bodied and a bit on the syrupy/sticky side, and the drinkability is low due to the big alcohol presence and off metallic flavor.

RedHaze, Mar 05, 2008
2.65/5  rDev -37.9%

All kinds of cloudy with an eggshell head, body is an orangish brown sugar color.

Weak aroma of orange and peppermint.

A boozy quad is what it comes off as initially. There would be a very clean finish were it not for the soapy alcohol. A grainy cinnamon, pine base holds up tinges of grapefruit with an offsetting mint with the strongest hops. I can't help but sip at it, the alcohol is too much.

Little heavier than medium bodied. The creamy texture seems off-base, but not problematic. A Belgian kind of smooth carbonation. Still, not at all easy-going.

pants678, Dec 05, 2010
2.65/5  rDev -37.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Poured a dark amber color with little to no head and no lacing. Not a very impressive start.

Smelled mostly of alcohol and some pine. Maybe a tiny bit of citrus.

Tasted like the smell. Not nearly as complex as I was expecting. Mainly alcohol dominated with some pine thrown in. I even waited a while for it to warm but really the only thing that seemed to get stronger was the alcohol taste.

Good mouthfeel. Very smooth with a medium to slightly thick body. Not much carbonation however.

I couldn't see drinking very many of these. It just didn't beckon me back for another round.

A friend of mine from Europe visited this site recently and commented that he felt that a lot of folks seemed to give high marks for a beer based mainly on the machismo factor, a high ABV content. After reading the reviews of this beer and then tasting it, that's the first thought that came to my mind. I will revisit this beer again for another try, not because I wanted more, but because perhaps I had a bad bottle. I'm definitely in the minority here but this beer was quite a letdown from what I was expecting.

JBogan, Nov 25, 2007
2.68/5  rDev -37.2%

Very aggressive and foamy beige head appears above a mahogany or cherry wood colored beer. The beer is totally translucent and shows no visible carbonation. The head has excellent retention and there is a nice amount of lacing.

Aroma is of alcohol and ripe fruits. Getting that ripe pineapple sense I get sometimes. Also some of the classic Arrogant Bastard malt aroma.. Not sure how to describe it, but it's distinctive.

I have to admit, I shared one of these the other night with a buddy and I just loved it. Truth be told I'm a big Arrogant Bastard fan... It was a little later in the night and I did enjoy it... Didn't review as I knew my palate was fried...

Now I have to say as the first beer of the day it's not as enjoyable. It's a bit hot and the alcohol is front and center. My beer fridge is set at 46 degrees. I let it sit out for about 10 minutes first. So it's not too cold. BA says to serve between 45 - 50 degrees. I am right there... The flavor starts with a strong alcohol flavor. After this (and the warming effect) you get some deep rich malt. Hop bitterness comes in, but is quickly taken over by the strong alcohol again. I have to say, I am sitting here and am quite disappointed. I am thinking this bad boy needs some aging...to mellow.

Mouth feel is as if you are drinking a strong VODKA drink....

Drinkability is not so great. Am I really writing this about an Arrogant Bastard and a Stone product? I can't believe it....

Color me disappointed. I have to go get a regular Arrogant Bastard to ensure I'm not going crazy...

Reagan1984, Dec 04, 2008
2.7/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Nice red, frothy pour and tons of lacing on the glass. Not overly hoppy to me, maybe I got a bad bottle but extremely sweet and very boozy. Had some hop character and some cherries, plums and such, but dominated by alcohol. Had trouble finishing the bottle. I'd have to give arrogant bastard the nod against the double bastard.

bigdeuce, Aug 20, 2007
2.73/5  rDev -36.1%

was alittle disppointed in this one.
poured out a dark copper with amber hues and a 1 inch creamy off shite head that left nice lacing.
smell was faint at first but with warmth and a swirl i was able to detect some malt and slight fruitiness.
taste was strange to me. big malt hit then fizzled off quickly and just left bitterness. starnge thing is i did not really smell a lot of hop in the aroma at all. the hop had no real flavor either just left bitterness on the tongue and a burning feeling on the sides of the mouth and in the stomach. alcohol was not really noticeable.
I drank it but contemplated pouring it out. I would not waste any money on this one again.

kegerator, Feb 02, 2005

cfrobrew, Aug 20, 2014

Hophead21, Nov 19, 2013

AleWatcher, Jan 20, 2013

ONN8, Apr 12, 2013

brystmar, Jan 19, 2013

mactrail, Jan 18, 2013

KSather, Jul 01, 2012
Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.