2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Reviews: 1959

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,047 | Reviews: 1,959 | Show All Ratings:
KFaulkner

3.18/5  rDev -25.5%

I love Arrogant Bastard because I feel like it's the perfect balance of old school, hair-on-your-chest brewing, plus enough warming alcohol to give you a kick in the pants. In fact, it's one of my all-time favorites.

But I feel like Double Bastard is just that same beer on steroids... stronger, but with shrunken testicles.

11-25-2008 03:03:43 | More by KFaulkner
applky

3.18/5  rDev -25.5%

2008 vintage, standard 22oz bomber.

I wish I could bring myself to like this beer, but I can't. The alcohol muddles all of the fruit flavors, and the hops are way out of control (out of control not in a hop-bomb kind of way, but in a sickly sweet alpha acid juice kind of way). Way too young to drink. Definitely needs some age on it. Could be a great beer in the future, but right now I'm not a fan.

01-25-2009 01:28:59 | More by applky
SaltyLime

Colorado

3.23/5  rDev -24.4%

Appearance - nice amber with a thick head in the beginning

Smell - I like the strong hop aromas, but could quickly tell this was going to be more hoppy for my taste

Taste - come on now, how about a little more balance?

Mouthfeel - piercing

Drinkability - personally, I would not get this one again, will keep some in the cooler for friends who like the style and quality, but, give me more malt

04-13-2008 12:29:26 | More by SaltyLime
sinstaineddemon

Connecticut

3.25/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

ok, here i go, ton of hype for this beer as with most of Stones Limited Releases, ....

A - ruby reddish brownish conglomerate with a thin tan head that disspates rapidly, scant slow carbonation snakes its way up the glass

S - aroma packs an alcoholic punch, big alocohl and grapefruit aromas, sweet subtlety to it as well, but mostly just alcohol

T - hmmm, kinda leaves me hanging, nice flavor, but the only strength is again in the alcohol, slight grapefruittiness, a nice flavor and brew, but this was hyped a little much for me, but still a quality brew, and it did get better as it warmed up

M&D - light bodied and a little big on the alcohol, which will draw from the drinkability, but a decent brew, was just expecting a bit more flavor

i may have to grab another bottle to age, i heard its better that way

12-17-2006 16:52:04 | More by sinstaineddemon
lifeboyq

Washington

3.25/5  rDev -23.9%

2005 release Double bastard - First let me say this beer is an entirely different beer aged. We all know hops seem to fade noticeably quarterly, but after a horrible first tasting in 2005, I persevered giving it more time. Without age, it's entirely too bitter as it's over hopped with high alpha hops without any balance making it very cloying. I don't understand hop heads and I never will, but perhaps over an aged argument, I'll listen but still disagree. This beer is insanely over hyped and overall an average beer at best without the patience of Job. After 2 years, its still slightly bitter, but a very balanced beer, somewhat similar to a slightly bitter but refined raison de extra. It's beginning to be good, beginning to be very good, but needs still more time to settle down. Don't get me wrong, this is a nice surprise but my guess is that after three years, this beer will finally be truly ready and a fantastic offering as beautiful pseudo amber, cooked sucrose treat. I taste 2 row malt for a base, munich malts, medium crystal, a little dark crystal, (I guess its possible that imp mistaking the crystal for some aromatic, biscuit or special B combo) maybe a little black patent malt or roasted barley, refined processed sugar and an American ale yeast.

Overall, this is a well brewed beer to withstand the test of time. Without time, it's a nice offering for the unrefined palette that falls prey to American micro beer marketing bias. The percentage of people that buy beer to age it is very low, thus how should I rate this beer?....

04-07-2007 13:03:45 | More by lifeboyq
ChadQuest

3.28/5  rDev -23.2%

2010 vintage.
Looks good. solid cap at first, leaves lacing, there is just a bit of hazy action, cinnamon amber color.
Aroma is pleasent but not a standout, there is caramel and cherry notes but they seem rather diminished. I swirled the glass and tried pouring a bit more in pretty vigerous, and got some more Citrus hints, but they fought to stay hidden.
The hops come through alot more in the flavors, and citrus is most prominant, but this is in no way a bitter beer, there is to much sweet brown sugar and caramel going on over the top of the citrus. The cherry notes are still here, pokes out everywhere they gets the chance it seems. Kinda syrupy.

I like this beer, but it's not something i wait eagerly for, or pick up often.

01-13-2011 05:51:09 | More by ChadQuest
psuKinger

3.28/5  rDev -23.2%

2011 Release, 22 ounce bomber. I've had my Double Bastard glasses for almost 6 months now. This is the first time I've had a chance to pour Double Bastard into one of them. Kinda cool, in a very beer-geeky way.

A: Pours a hazy murky brown color with a thin white head that dissipated quickly.

S: A lot more caramel malt and bisquit sweetness than I remember... Hops seem, dare I say, lacking? How old is this? I thought DB's release was fairly recent... [edit: the website says the release date was Oct 17, making this beer about 1.5 months old)

T: Well, there's certainly more hops on the palatte than in the nose. But a lack of grapefruit/citrus here. Very earthy/piney, and the malt backbone is BIG. Alcohol is not hidden, either.

The first thing I notice is pinecone, which I find unusual because that's usually near the end of the flavor, from my experiences. THe malt backbone then walks in and really takes over. This beer finishes with a strong twinge of alcohol and some hop-bitterness on the finish. The caramel malt is the most dominant of the flavors.

M: Hefty and frothy, this beer "creams up" in the mouth in a way I usually expect a good belgian to. Odd, but not displeasing. Alcohol-burn is certainly present. Carbonation seems low.

D/O: Stone is my favorite brewery, but I gotta be honest: this was kinda disappointing. Too much malt, too sweet and too boozy... I'm not saying I'll never try it again, but I am saying I'm not really looking forward to cracking the other bottle I have in my fridge any time soon.

12-07-2011 22:20:05 | More by psuKinger
Rastacouere

Quebec (Canada)

3.3/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Merci Psychprof! Clear copper hue over which lies an off-white head. Aroma is very harsh on alcohol surprisingly so. It took me a while to get over those vapors and get to studying the rest which had a big caramelic malt profile and a fruitiness approaching orange or watermelon. There's also an earthy/peaty aspect in there, but of course, besides alcohol, the bold hops dominate. In mouth, there's evidently intense hoppy grapefruit juice, caramel, crystal malt and still a moderate alcohol taste. Finish is huge, monstruously bitter, mouth-grabbing, memorable for a while. Mouthfeel is rather thick, closing onto syrup. Definitely worth a try to experiment it, but masochism as they say, is to be consumed in moderate amount. Not quite my bag, give me an Old Numbskull or HOTD Fred if I want a hoppy barley wine. I'll never brush my teeths again.

04-19-2004 19:25:45 | More by Rastacouere
Naerhu

Japan

3.3/5  rDev -22.7%

Appearance: Beautiful transparent golden red body with a infintesimal white head.
Aroma: Big sticky malt aroma with loads of spicyness and sap. Is this a restina?
Taste: Huge bitterness overpowers the initial pine-hop, then sweet maltiness. The bitterness grinds on for a long, long time. Way to much alcohol flavor jumping out.
Mouthfeel: Thick, fine bubbles and little hot on the alcohol. This beer is simply too thick, and too hot for me to want to have on anywhere near a regular basis.

04-15-2005 00:09:42 | More by Naerhu
JMD71

3.3/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Sampled & reviewed on 2/24/07:

Ap: Medium pour brings 1/2 finger of tannish head. Head persists nicely. Nice rust/dark copper color. Slightly cloudy. Medium carbonation.

Ar: Fruits hit the nose initially followed by sweet malt & then hints of alcohol. Slight notes of citrus & tangerines.

Ta: Very sweet up front followed by a boozy blast of alcohol. Wow, this is strong! ABV very evident, not well disguised. Very heavy on the bittering hops. Comes off a bit astringent IMO.

Mo: Full bodied. Chewy. Very medicinal & astringent. Bitterness leaves cloying sensation which persists for some time. Not sure about this one...

Dr: Low-medium. ABV way to noticeable & in-your-face. Could have taken better steps to to layer the high ABV with a better malt profile & less bittering hops.

Comments: Can't say I loved this. I've had some high ABV barywines, but whis was way too over the top. The bitterness was too overpowering & the sweet malt entrance too heavy. Extreme does not always result in a well balanced beer. This is definitely the case here IMHO.

04-04-2007 20:07:35 | More by JMD71
TMB0424

22 oz bomber. 2008 version

Pours a deep, rich-looking mahogany brown body. Hazy. Off-white, foamy head slowly fades with nice lacing. Good looking

Smells up front of alcohol and hops. Pine. Little bit of malt in there as well.

First thing that hits my palate is the alcohol, very aggressive. Hint of caramel malt, splash of citrus, followed by the hops. Spicy as well, probably due to the alcohol content. It's certainly warming, and the alcohol isn't THAT overwhelming, but it's definitely dominant on my palate right now. Oddly enough, the mouthfeel is a little watery. Just a little.

It's not undrinkable by any means, but it's not one of the more drinkable strong ales out there.

Overall, I have to admit I was disappointed. Aside from the appearance, which I felt was superb. Stone has such a great line of brews and I feel that this is towards the bottom. It's not bad, by any means at all... it's just (in my experiences) I feel the Arrogant Bastard is a better strong ale, as well as the past Double Bastards. However, it is an enjoyable brew and due to it's alcohol content, it has a welcome warming during these cold nights.

12-12-2008 15:50:42 | More by TMB0424
AgentZero

3.3/5  rDev -22.7%

Thanks to mikey771 who hooked me up with this one.

A - Brown colored (was expecting lighter) with a nice three finger head. Slow dissipation and exceptional lacing. Very nice looking brew, especially when poured into the glass.

S - For a second there I almost thought I was catching a whiff of scotch. Citris, hops, and I get a lot of alcohol on the nose.

T - Wow, much fuller flavor than I would have guessed, even after smelling. Caramel comes through very strongly on this one. Very sweet, and finishes quite bitter. Some dark fruits on this, alcohol comes in, but nicely. A little too bitter and too sweet for my liking.

M - Syrupy, full bodied. Carbonation is there, but you lose it in the fullness of this brew.

D - I couldn't finish the whole bomber. Very thick becomes hard to drink about 3/4 of the way through. Solid, but there's a limit to how much of this I can get down.

09-12-2009 21:15:55 | More by AgentZero
OnThenIn

3.3/5  rDev -22.7%

A: Finger of thick light tan head on top of a brown and amber mixed.

S: a bit of a citrus hop aroma. Slight sweetness. Alcohol a little. Surprisingly complex.

T: lots of caramel and a little bready. Lots of citrus hops and grapefruit. A bit bitter and alcohol present. Didn't love the taste.

M: fuller body with slightly lower carbonation.

D: This is a sipper and the mouthfeel wasn't incredible, but okay. The taste wasn't incredible.

01-10-2011 01:29:42 | More by OnThenIn
tjthresh

Indiana

3.33/5  rDev -22%

2005 bottle. Pours a dark ruby color with creamy tan head. I got a nose full of candy sugar, cherry, caramel, toffee, and pungant hops. Fruity sweet, golden raisin, and an pleasant alcohol burn. Very smooth. Rolls over the tongue nicly. A fine drink, but not one of my faves.

12-02-2006 16:01:32 | More by tjthresh
hellcatsjg

3.33/5  rDev -22%

Appearance: Pours a deep amber with almost no head whatsoever. Nothing to see here.

Smell: Piney hops in the front with a slight caramel sweetness along with a good amount of alcohol. Smells very inviting, until....

Taste: Piney hops....overly bitter piney hops. That is all you get. There is no balancing sweetness, no hoppy complexity. Nothing but overly bitter piney hops. I really enjoy the Arrogant Bastard ale, but this is definitely a step backwards.

Mouthfeel: Coats the mouth a bit too much with the too bitter flavor of the beer. A less than enjoyable flavor is something you don't want sticking around for such a long time.

Drinkability: This is probably the lowest review that I have given such a highly rated beer. I was disappointed by the one dimensional taste and the high ABV makes it hard to enjoy too much. Stick with the Arrogant Bastard Ale, this is not an improvement as far as I am concerned.

12-13-2007 05:42:41 | More by hellcatsjg
kylehayworth

Indiana

3.33/5  rDev -22%

A: This beer poured a deep amber, with hints of dark reds.

S: It smells of citrus and pine resin hops and lots of caramel.

T: I imagine going to the fair in the near future and seeing caramel covered hops, just because of this beer.

M: It has some alcohol tingling finish, as well as a hinty bitterness to it.

D: I wasn't really feeling this one, maybe I should try it again sometime, but it was just to sweet and syrupy.

03-20-2010 16:50:00 | More by kylehayworth
HoppyHomo

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up at the local shoprite which has recently opened up a liquor department. Not sure how long this has been sitting on the shelf:

It has a nice smooth red copper appearance with a non-heady pour. I was expecting this to be a way too strong IPA, but its not and i was pleasantly surprised. Sometimes the high alcohol content makes me feel like I'm drinking vodka and not a beer. But i felt this was just right. And while this may not be the best IPA I've had this year, month or week; its certainly not that bad.

11-22-2012 03:33:46 | More by HoppyHomo
flyingpig

United Kingdom (Scotland)

3.33/5  rDev -22%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3rd of a pint in Brewdog Glasgow (£4.25):
Amber to orange with a big light creamy head that settles as a thin, foamy lacing round the sides.

Very hoppy with lots of spice and some yeast too. Tonnes of pine with some lighter grapefruit and tropical notes along with quite a bit of alcohol on top that started to dominate but with hints of caramel as well.

Huge amount of hops & laced with more alcohol that I was prepared for despite the fact I knew it was an 11.2% beer going in. There was quite a lot of pine and grapefruit with hints of caramel but the alcohol that started strong just takes over come the end and the flavour definitely suffers as a result of this.

Strong and bitter beer with a full body and a fairly smooth mouthfeel. There is a huge kick that I sort of expected but the balance wasn't good at all and the alcohol seems excessive just because it could be.

An alright beer at best and I felt that the beer was only about loading the flavour with a mix of hops and alcohol meaning the balance was poor and the beer was a hard on to drink with everything in your face and to the extreme. I'm glad I got to try this one but I don't think I'll be giving it a go again.

12-10-2013 08:52:34 | More by flyingpig
PatYoda

Colorado

3.35/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

'04 version.

Appearance is ok. Pours a beautiful mahogany with no head after a minute. Smell is a little underwhelming. Maple syrup, some citrus fruit, and pine needles are all there in small quantities, but the alcohol makes a bit too much of an appearance in my opinion. It's also got an unpleasant oxidized smell. Taste is interesting, but not up to some of the better barleywines I've had. Everything in the smell makes an appearance, though I can't taste the wet paper oxidized smell at least. Here I can say that if the alcohol was not so apparent, this would be a great beer. Malt and hops are very well balanced. There is a nice piney aftertaste and a nice deep sweet fruity taste. But after that the alcohol overwhelms you, and the aftertaste leaves you thinking you just took a tiny shot of some cheap rum. The mouthfeel is nice, very smooth and medium bodied for a barleywine. Drinkability suffers due to the alcohol, but still isn't bad. Just doesn't have enough flavor to mask the alcohol in my opinion. This is exactly why I recently changed my favorite style from American Barleywine. There's so much better beer out there.

10-13-2005 02:30:20 | More by PatYoda
tmm313

Georgia

3.35/5  rDev -21.5%

A- Dark orange, almost red body. Poured a nice creany 2 finger head that dissipated pretty quickly.
S- Tropical fruits, chocolate, caramel, pine, big Bourbon.
T - Follows the nose, but the booze is HUGE. Too much so.
M- Thick, almost syrupy. Crisp carbonation.
O- I am not worthy. The bottle told me so, but I didn't believe it. Way too much booze for my tastes.

12-01-2013 00:19:40 | More by tmm313
brewdlyhooked13

3.38/5  rDev -20.8%

2002 Edition

Appearance - pours a murky, dank red. A thin crown of light tan bubbles manages a string of lace or two before settling to an impartial covering.

Aroma -initially some citrusy zest on the pour with some sweet fruity and boozy essences. Fades a bit after a minute but still picking some of it up.

Taste - prickly hops right out of the gate. Sweetness and alcohol quickly envelope everything, but a few moments later the hops burn back through, dry and bitter, Not as much floral to this aged bottle but still plenty of bite. Alcohol is not hidden but is well-integrated. Improves significantly as it warms, more fruit and brown sugar flavor coming through, providing some much needed depth.

Mouthfeel - smooth, good weight to it, and the carbonation picks up the beer well, giving it some spiciness.

Drinkability - this one didn't really sit well on my palate, but it'll drink.

03-29-2006 02:37:37 | More by brewdlyhooked13
meatyard

3.38/5  rDev -20.8%

2006 release

Pours a pretty, clear, dark amber with a large thick tan head and good retention leaving some lacing.
The smell is a bit of sweetness and light hops, hard to categorize outside that.
The taste is, at first, a slight bitterness giving way quickly to the malt sweetness though the bitterness lingers on.
Mouthfeel is thick.
Drinkability is OK.
I'm not especially keen on this version of an ASA because it tastes a little too harsh for my taste. It doesn't have a lot of easily defineable tastes to me.

05-05-2007 23:02:37 | More by meatyard
Cresant

Kentucky

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured this 22 oz. brown bottle dated 2006 into a Samuel Smith tulip. The body was a clear reddish/brown rich leather color. The moderate head was tan and eventually faded to a cap that remained throughout the drink.

Smell was spicy, vaguely metallic. Malty with dried fruits. Alcohol soaked fruits, like uncle Joe's rum soaked Christmas fruitcake. Whole wheat bread. Bread crust smell really appeared strongest after the beer had been sitting a few minutes between sips, very intense. Nice.

Taste was alcohol and zesty hops. Rich and surprisingly balanced considering the "large-ness" of this beer. The huge sweetness was balanced in the end by the bitter finish. This one is a little too boozey for my tastes but I expected big alcohol from the Double B.

Mouthfeel was medium to full with an alcohol sizzle.

11-19-2006 17:40:14 | More by Cresant
SacoDeToro

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured a deep chesnut red with an off-white head.

The aroma was primarily toffeish malt and some earthy, herbal hops.

The flavor of the beer was deeply malty with notes of toffee and chocolate. The hops had an earthy flavor with some grapefruit. There was some kind of funky astringency that really detracted from the overall flavor.

The carbonation was good and the mouthfeel was medium/heavy.

Maybe this beer needs some more aging, but I didn't really care for it.

12-08-2006 18:59:38 | More by SacoDeToro
CoolJosh

3.4/5  rDev -20.4%

Thanks to the guys at Sharkies, they gave me this in an in person trade. This one had been aged a year, so I wasn't sure what to expect having never tried this one before. I remember seeing it in my BMC days and being scared away, haha.

A. A christmassy red with copper tones, semi hazy though not completely opaque. Pours a creamy white head leaves behind a beautiful off white lacing. Little activity in the body. Not a jaw dropper, but easy on the eyes none the less.

S. Pine and citrus hops, though both subdued as the bottle is over a year old. Nonetheless I must review what is in front of me. Some caramel is present as well as some sweet brown sugar.

T. Very caramelly from the start. Again the hops have died down to show some barleywine characteristics. A crunchy salty taste rise prior to a Nice soft hope kick in the end. Some heat comes through in the end as well but is not overly displeasing. Rubbery taste/feel that is displeasing however. Tried to do too much with this one

When given the chance, I will review this beer fresh to see how

12-27-2008 01:24:24 | More by CoolJosh
Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.