Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,038 | Hads: 6,337
3.92/5  rDev -8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 22oz 2014 release bottle into a snifter.
Appearance - a cloudy, mahogany with noticeable sediment; a thin, beige head that leaves fairly weak lacing.
Smell - booze, caramel, oak, brown sugar, maple syrup.
Taste - unique, complex and flavorful! Characteristics of both an Imperial IPA and a Quad!
Feel - demands another sip due to it's complexity! Bold, bulky, and undeniably brash! Boozy, but hidden well; aggressively bitter!
Overall - a brilliantly crafted ale, worthy of it's very high praise. (510 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

A - A dark amber with a redish tint. Almost no head and minimal bubbles. Barely any light passes through.

S - Malts, citrus fruit, sweet and fruity.

T - A malty and sweet front that transforms into a mild bitter aftertaste. Alcohol taste is strong.

M - Smooth, heavy body. Not a lot of carbonation, some alcohol burn.

O - The smooth heavy body combined with the malty sweet taste makes for a pleasant drink. The bitterness is fairly mild, which I like. (461 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -4%

2013 Realease

A - Pours a hazy brown with a one-finger off-white head. Light soapy lacing.

S - Aroma of caramel malts, brown sugar, toffee, and dark fruits.

T - Taste starts off sweet with brown sugar, toffee, and caramel malts. The is a good deal of piney hops mid palate. The finish is bitter hops and an alcohol burn.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Syrupy mouthfeel with a sticky dry finish.

O - This is a big beer with big flavors. This is a slow sipper that really opens up as it gets warmer. (514 characters)

As a former resident of Southern California, now living in New York City I can't believe I waited so long to try this phenomenal ale. These World-Class ratings are spot on by both the Bros and the BA score. So smooth, yet it tastes fresh with hoppy flavor. This beer leaves my mouth watering for more and more with ever sip I take. (331 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Delicious. I'm arbitrarily docking points for being less drinkable than the original, but it isn't designed to be consumed in quantity anyway. Tons of flavor, tons of ABV, outstanding beer. (189 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

Nose smells of rich caramel and some pine hoppiness. Reminds me of an American barleywine.

Taste is very similar but a little more bitter than expecting, but I like how it balances out the rich sweet candied dark fruit and caramel malt. It definitely comes as an American barleywine; in mouthfeel, too. Very viscous and bit syrupy. It's something you have to get into. I happen to enjoy that style of mouthfeel. The alcohol is well masked by the malt and hop presence. An awesome beer. (486 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

This beer is a revelation. Tons of caramel/butterscotch, and tons of hops. If someone told me this had been barreled, I'd believe it—it's got pronounced alcohol notes, but is incredibly smooth, and there are definitely hints of what could be (but aren't actually) oak and bourbon. Incredibly solid. (300 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Tap from Maltitude. Pours cloudy amber with white head. Aroma of floral hops. Flavor of bitter hops, caramel, and more hops. Bitter hoppy finish. Very tasty. (157 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Whoa. Talk about a huge malt backbone. Here goes:

A: Dark amber - plenty of black, but plenty of red tint as well. Big head and a ton of lacing.

S: Very complex. Some piney hops, but some caramel malt as well. I expect this to be both very malty and very hoppy.

T: Piney hops give way to a ton of malt. Tons of caramel and honey sweetness. This is an absolute malt bomb with some bittering hops. I love it, but be forewarned - this beer is a malt bomb. Lots of toffee, brown sugar, caramel, honey and overall malt sweetness.

F: Thick and creamy. Very delicious.

O: A great beer. Malt totally overpowers the hops, but it's still good. (654 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +1.9%

A big buttery malt body with an aggressive grassy hop presences on the back end. Slick mouthfeel gives a great drinkability despite its strong ABV. Burnt sugar, caramel, oak, and well balance hop attack its like a hoppy wee-heavy and the king of Stone's "bastard" beers. (270 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Brown orange color with a thick beige head with good retention and leaving laces.
Aroma full of berries, plums, toasted malts, smoke and American yeast.
Flavor with notes of smoke, toasted and some roasted malts, caramels, mild coffee, dry and dark fruits, earthy hops, wood, muffled pine, run, maple syrup, resin and American yeast. Dry aftertaste with a long lasting bitterness.
Full body with appropriate carbonation. Alcohol of 11.2% abv just shows up as a flavor component.
It felt to me as a mix of Scotch ale and a Barley Wine. Very complex and hoppy. Great beer, though I prefer their regular version. Although the name is similar, they ended up to be different beers. (676 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

As good as Arrogant Bastard is, this is just a natural extension of the possibilities of that great ale.

It pours a pretty dark brown with a medium thin head (less of a head than the original). The nose is similar to the original but boozy. Duh.

The taste is a much more syrupy (malty) version of the original, and in my opinion, better balanced. All that bitter could stand some boozy sweetening and this one does just that. It makes for a huge mouth full of hops and malts. I love it.

The aftertaste is also sweet compared to the original. Naturally you can't drink this like the original, but I will (drink this bomber on top of that one). It's a great big malty experience and one I will do again (I am pretty sure this was my first time with a double bastard).

This bomber is pretty fresh, and I am not sure that I would like this better aged as I think it would get less bitter, but maybe it will settle in nicely. I will check prices and maybe pick up one to set aside. This bottle came from a four pack of different bastards that seemed very reasonably priced at $20 and included the lucky bastard (with funky spelling). (1,133 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I've really enjoyed everything I've had by Stone--a lot--except for this beer, which I've now had once several months aged, and once very fresh. I will give it credit for being a unique experience, and certainly an arrogant one (even doubly arrogant), but it's a bit like drinking watered-down caramel syrup mixed with Robitussin and ethyl alcohol. I finished it, and certainly preferred the fresh version, but it was more a chore and duty than a real pleasure. I've had bigger beers, even a couple much bigger beers, and I found them easier to drink and tastier than this one. I've also had Stone's IRS, Old Guardian, Ruin 10, which are similar, at least, in terms of their size; and enjoyed them all vastly more. Indeed, one or two of them are among my very favorites. But this one's just a little too much (of syrupy medicinal malts) for me. (851 characters)

This too is a great beer! Around Christmas time they release a 3 Litre Bottle! Once bottle is finished you can still bring it into any Stone Brewery and get it refilled! (170 characters)

Regular Arrogant Bastard I gave a 5/5 and is in my top-5 ever, but ehhh .. I just can't drink much of this stuff. Maybe proof that there can be too much of a good thing? (169 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

This beer packs a huge punch. Aroma is light and subtle, you won't get much of a nose out of it. Jam-packed with malty goodness. Strong, boozy, bold from start to finish. A heavy bomber meant for sipping, pairs well with a 1-hour cigar and a slow and steady pace. Not for the faint of heart, but a damn good place to look for those seeking out a swift kick to the palette. (372 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Yeah!!!! Awww!!! This beer just punched me in the face! Strong Ale.. It doesn't have a big time smell to it but the taste is good.. Let this beer simmer.. Take your time with it.. Very very strong.. 11% feels like 15%... Stone has always been consistent with there beers.. I'm big in IPAs but this isn't to bad... Cheers !!!! (325 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

Dark amber orange in appearance, much lighter than what I was expecting!

Smells heavily of caramel, sugar, and a hint of bourbon.

Malt bomb! Straight up booze and caramel.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin for my taste, and very dry.

Overall I actually enjoy their standard Angry Bastard more than this, but that's just my opinion. (325 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Served on tap in a 14oz glass at Heartbreakers in Chaska.

Great beer, who's 2013 edition is far better than some of the recent Enjoy bys. In a beer this strong, you sometimes worry that the alcohol content will take over the taste profile. That is definitely not the case here. (278 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

08/22/12 On tap. Thought I caught some pineapple in the aroma. Had this as part of a flight. After even a small glass my face is getting slightly separated from it's skull.

This could prove to be a dangerous relationship if someone doesn't save me from myself.

Not a big hops person, but I can make exceptions for the exceptional and this is such a one. (357 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A- Deep dark copper, minimal lacing, 1/2 inch of froth

S- Dense, wheat, barley, a little boozy

T- Complex, sweet fruit, barley, malty, still boozy

M- Full bodied, medium carbonation

O- Good beer, but like a lot from Stone, not really a favorite of mine. (257 characters)

4.14/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bought this almost a year ago (!) but the high ABV had so far kept me away from trying it. 22 oz. of 11.2% could make it difficult to crawl to bed.

Poured from the 22 oz, bomber into a Tree House tulip.

a: Clear copper with a finger-and-a-half thick offwhite head which receded to patchy and then thin even surface foam and dense lacing.

s: Slight ripe fruit.

t: Caramel malt and dark ripe fruit leavened with a good hop bite. The very high ABV (11.2%) well covered, although there is throat burn on the way down.

m: Medium to heavy,. Very smooth.

o; Just about what I had expected and hoped for. A strong ale with a lot of flavor and hop retort. (652 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow. I really liked Arrogant Bastard so I picked this up immediately. The color is very dark and the head a nice white that lasts and lasts. The smell had a lot of malt with almost a roasted smell, but also some hops and grapefruit. The taste was incredibly smooth with hints of nuts and bananas in a nice thick malt overtone. A very thick beer with a lot of amazing flavors. I would wholeheartedly recommend picking this one up. (429 characters)

4.93/5  rDev +15.7%

This is a dark beer, it has a hravy tasye but it is really good. It smells really good, and it go`s down smooth. If you age the beer for a year before opening it and drinking I. I think itmakes it taste rreally good. I know when I age these types of beer I like them a lot. I defently would recomend this beer to anyone who likes high gravity beer. I know that I will have another one pf these beers. I also am wanting to try all the other beers that they make. (461 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

pour: got a nice cloudy dark brown color with hints of red. The head on this beer was a light tan color with tight foam.

smell: on this brew was a sweetness some from the malts and some from the fruit used in this brew. Similar to a barley wine.

taste: stone went crazy on this one. Beer hits the pallet and you get a taste of everything, some hops some sweet malts some brown sugar and some berries with a little fruity feel to it.

Overalll: This is such a great brew even with the 11.20% abv still a smooth brew to drink. Yea it will mess you up but its good stuff all the way down to the bottom of the glass. Cheers!!! (626 characters)

Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.