Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,300 | Reviews: 2,073
4.5/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Keg of double bastard drank.

4.63/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2013 release cellared for 14 months. Pours a hazy reddish brown with small head and minimal lacing. Smells like my Grandmothers Christmas Cake. Aging has mellowed out the hoppyness that was more present when it was fresh. Booziness has also mellowed. Next time I'll only age it for 6-8 months max to preserve a little better balance of the hops/malts. .

3.23/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A little too malty and extremely boozy

4.87/5  rDev +14.3%

It has a great vybe

4.11/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A touch boozy but all in all a very in your face brew from Stone.

2.74/5  rDev -35.7%

Bottled on 10/14/14. Sampled and reviewed on February 19, 2015.

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a Sam Adams "Perfect Pint" glass. Poured a very nice dark, roasted amber. Almost red, yet, almost brown. Barely any head whatsoever, mild carbonation. Smelll is weak, but hints of hops, citrus, lemon, orange, and apples. The first sip sent a chill down my spine. Very hoppy, with hints of spices. Also citrus/lemon is pretty apparent to me. Leaves with a dry finish. Lingering zest and hops after every sip.

I really wanted to like this beer, especially after being a fan of the original Arrogant Bastard Ale. But honestly, this one is just too much. I tried this by itself and with food, and it just dominates no matter what. Simply stronger than I prefer my beer. I decided to try it given the World Class rating, but it just didn't do it for me. Should've taken heed to the warning on the back I guess.

I loved Arrogant Bastard, and was excited to try Double Bastard, because I thought I would like something even more intense. However, I did not enjoy this beer. It was far too much for me. Given the flavor of these two beers, maybe something called Bastard and a Half would be better for me.

4.23/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Nice oak bite...brought two...one for now..one for some years later.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

I was expecting more hoppy like Arrogant Bastard. Flavor is more like an American Barleywine. I still prefer Double Dog as a benchmark for a double IPA.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

What a fantastic beer. Very Malty presence accompanied by a pleasant hop bitterness along the lines of grapefruit. Also smoother than I had thought at 11%.

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Awesome. I aged mine for about six months. Amazing strong ale.

Bland, didnt think it tasted very good. Kinda an old taste. Like the reg way better.

look: 4.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Poured into a standard, British pint glass.

A - 4.75 - Pours a lovely, rich, dark rust and ruby color. Forms about a finger of quickly dissipating, medium tan colored head. Whispy lacing left on the walls of the glass.
S - 2.25 - Smell is pretty boring to me. Light touches of malt and hops with a strong imperial pilsner aroma.
T - 3 - Beer is quite a malt bomb, definitely needs time to age even though the labeling states to enjoy fresh as well. Upfront there are sweet extremely malty tones, reminiscent of an imperial IPA that has sat too long, but in someway you can tell it is intentional here. This fades into the classic, over the top hoppy bitterness Arogant Bastard is known and loved for. There are some more subtle notes of things like raisins and dark fruits in the back, but these but is just too malty for me.
F - 3.75 - Decent bodied beer.
O - 3 - Middle of the road score here. Wish I had let it age a bit longer, but Stone should not encourage the drinking of this beer fresh on their bottle! I think more breweries should follow in the footsteps of Deschutes and put a best AFTER date on their bottle! All in all, and OK beer as is, can taste potential with some aging though!

3.85/5  rDev -9.6%

Malt bomb. Lots of raisins. Very intense alcohol taste. Needs aging time.

4.77/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

very good, might start buying this over the arrogant bastard.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

really good ale. will buy again. reminds me of a really good brown ale

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%

On tap at Donnelly's Public House in Fairport, NY.

Pours a clear dark brown, with a half inch head, and a little bit of lacing.

Smells like burnt pine, wood, leather, caramel, and toffee.

This is essentially a hoppy barleywine. It's much better than Arrogant Bastard, if I can be honest. It tastes like burnt pine, wood, leather, caramel, toffee, bready malt, brown sugar, with a pretty heavy bitterness.

This is medium bodied, with a crisp, bready mouthfeel, and a moderate level of carbonation. The bitterness lingers really strongly after each sip.

This is really an excellent beer. I didn't think I'd like it much after not loving Arrogant Bastard, but this is much better.

Top Ales in my book. Just plain delicious in all aspects.

3.22/5  rDev -24.4%

We really wanted to love it but...it's palatable for slugheads

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Purchased from Champagne's for $7.99 22oz bottle. Served at 4deg C in a tulip

A- Opens well and pours a nice head that is gone within a minute to a film. Dark amber gold color. Super dark almost brown.

S- A lot of malt here. Tons of hops.

T- Super rich and complex. Honey galore. Scotch overtones.

M- Super thick and creamy.

O- Nice beer but very heavy. Enjoyable fresh and am looking forward to an aged one in a year or two.

Food Pairing

This wonderful big beer went well with....... Chicken wings with medium hot sauce. Blue cheese really pairs well.

Enjoy

2014
I have a more fully developed palette since I drank it last time

This time, all I taste is malts, malts, and malts with a hint of malts. Aside from the malts, this is still a really good beer. I drank it at around 13C and you can definitely taste the fruitiness of the body. You can barely taste the alcohol.

3.87/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle from 2014 Stone box set:
Nice mostly clear ruby brown color. Head grows thick and lasts, lacing the glass with copious amounts of residual head that clings. Nose is a tad weak, but has some sweet candy-like notes (dark cherry-ish), some dark fruit, but an abundance of hops bite (woody, even piney).

The taste does have a certain boldness of hops, but is a bit more balanced than I expected (but not actually balanced). This is a Stone Arrogant Bastard, after all. Cola-like candy flavor is the first taste that hits. It turns with the addition of hops bitterness into an earthy flavor, almost a bit of coffee ice cream flavor for a fleeting moment before the hops reach their full power. Woody in nature, the hops just linger with the candy flavor, providing a weird long-term taste that isn't my favorite. Body is fairly full, carbonation plays perhaps just a tad too much.

Not a big flavor profile difference than regular Arrogant Bastard, I don't think (even if I described them differently). The final hop/candy flavor is just off-putting enough for me to rate it any higher.

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Had on tap at okemo Jackson gore inn.

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Very thick and malty. Slightly sweet with caramel and apples

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

This is one powerful beer! It is a strong ale that will be remembered once you drink it. It has a ton of complex maltiness and hopped nicely. This beer packs a serious punch.

Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.