2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Reviews: 1959

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,047 | Reviews: 1,959 | Show All Ratings:
Rguardian989

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

Review from notes, Drank on January 13 2010
2009 release bottle poured into a snifter

Appearance/Smell: Dark/hazy amber with a tan head that doesn't last long. Smells like a grapefruit just punched me in the face. Hops are very prominent (me like). Some malt in the background with very little fusel alcohol detected.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Grapefruit. Other citrus. Light malt, in that order. A hop forward beer. No alcohol taste. Very pleasant lingering bitterness on the end. Its very smooth with a nice light carbonation. Perfect mouthfeel to me.

Drinkability: It disappeared pretty quickly but I would be hammered with too many of these.

Other Notes: Overall a very good beer, one that I'm going to seek out every year as soon as its released.

01-18-2010 18:31:14 | More by Rguardian989
Deadheadbill

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter.

Pours a burnt-umber color with the head being a lighter version of the same. Respectable head which dissipates fairly quickly but leaves decent lacing.

Smells of butterscotch, butter and raisins.

Very decadent in the mouth, full-bodied with boozy caramel, dark fruits and vanilla backed up by a nice bracing bitterness. Finish is long and dry.

Overall a very nice beer to be enjoyed almost like a cognac, sit back, sip and enjoy.

03-18-2011 00:12:05 | More by Deadheadbill
Diesel76

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

After falling in love with the og Arrogant Bastard, I couldn't wait to give Double Bastard a try. It did not disapoint. It is a very strong ale in both taste and alcohol content. I am not one to get buzzed easily off a 22oz bottle, but half way thru the Gargoyle had me in its claws.

As much as I would love to get my hands on their 3 liter bottle of this bad boy, that would be quite dangerous!

07-10-2011 20:19:06 | More by Diesel76
hctap00

Maryland

4.34/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Orange-copper hue. Thick, creamy, tan head that never fully settles and clings to the side of the glass.

Aroma is not nearly as strong as I had anticipated, especially from one of the Bastard beers. Smells like a barleywine. Boozy, oak, vanilla. Pine hops, with some fruitiness and a lot of malt sweetness. But nothing too assertive.

Flavor is very intense from the start. Nothing subtle about it. I notice the piney hops first. Bitterness is a constant throughout. I also get some of the grapefruit I associate with West Coast IPAs. After the initial taste, it is an assault of intense flavors. Caramel. Brown sugar. A lot of booze. Just barely enough malt to balance the hops, barely. Finish is very bitter, mostly pine. Very warming as it goes down. The 11.2% is not disguised at all.

Nice mouthfeel. Very smooth. As intense as this beer is, it does not linger too long on the palate.

Overall, exactly what I wanted from this beer. I made the mistake of trying to kill a bomber by myself. Going to need some salty snacks to get me through it. Share this one and sip it. A very good beer, but just a bit too much to take in. A system overload. I think if it were dialed back just a hair, it would be more enjoyable.

01-20-2013 05:26:42 | More by hctap00
cbill

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

2003 edition
deep red color, like cherry varnish, with a tan head that thins out quickly
smells sweet again like cherries with a mild citrus hop
tastes a lot sweeter than i thought it would, not really too much hop bitterness. very warming and full of fruit flavors. covers your whole mouth with the flavor coating every inch
surprisingly drinkable for the strength and heaviness buti think i could drink this all night

12-19-2003 05:49:33 | More by cbill
bigchris1313

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

Appearance: That medium brown but drifting towards red color. Nice off-white head.

Smell: Somewhat sweet, like Arroganst Bastard on drugs.

Taste: Delicious. Definietely sweentness, almost syrup-like sweetness, but minimally offset by a fair amount of hops. Again, like Arrogant Bastard but overcharged. The alcohol is basically undetectable: quite an accomplishment for a 10% brew.

Mouthfeel: This thing is smooth like silk. It just flows into your mouth with a moderate amount of carbonation and somewhat thick.

Drinkability: I'm sure you're wondering why I gave this thing a 4.5 for drinkability when it clocks in at 10% alcohol by volume. Quite simply, it tastes damn good, even if it is strong. Furthermore, you can enjoy it over a long period of time, as it's flavor actually betters as the beer warms. It took me 30 minutes to savor 1 bomber of this stuff. I could qute easily do a few if I had purchased more than 1 case. Because this brew should be consumed so slowly, it will take hours to drink loads of the stuff, but it is definitely quite drinkable none the less.

11-11-2004 21:26:31 | More by bigchris1313
dick783

4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

A: Poured this 2005 release from the 22oz bomber into a snifter glass at 50deg. The color is a nice rust red with a quick to dissapate head. Just looks great.

S: Malt sweetness with fruit and vanilla pulling through, along with a hint of wood. You could bury your nose in this for a while and never get tired of it.

T: Exeptional. SLightly sweet at first and then just dives into the bitterness from the hops. The bitterness lasts and lasts. I love it.

M: Nice syrupy mouthfeel and enough carbonation to clean it right up to make you want another sip.

A phenomenal beer, I'm gonna have to get my hands on some more of these.

01-27-2006 13:48:55 | More by dick783
bearcamp

Kansas

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Visiting family in the DC area for x-mas. Picked this up because we don't get this in KC/MO area. Picked up some other stuff that I don't get. I was a kid in a candy store. Wish a KC/MO distributor would would pick it up!

This is a Very good beer. Picked up a 22 oz bomber and poured into a snifter. I usually don't write about the bottle design but the bottle is nice with a story about the beer. Nice head that last but did go away because I took my time drinking this one. Kinda reminds me of a mellow barley wine.

Smell and taste are sweet but with a very nice hop bite. I love the hops in this one. I'm usually an IPA guy and this is a nice departure.

This is very drinkable but not a session beer. One or two is enough for me. The alcohol content on the label is 10.5 and I can barley tell.

Pick this up you wont be disappointed.

12-27-2008 20:47:43 | More by bearcamp
TheRowan

Vermont

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

A: Deep copper/dark amber in color. Almost no head. Looks like very little carbonation. The small head there is, is ivy in color and is not very active.
S: Sweet deep smells of the earth! Like home made jelly or marmalade. Sweet summer air in the spring woods.
T: Sweet, rich and deep. After initial deep sweet flavors alcohol flavor is present throughout the whole moth and throat. Hints of rich chocolate at the end.
M: A full mouth experience. Coats the mouth like cough syrup but is comforting. There is more carbonation to this beer then looks would tell you, even at the end.
D: Very drinkable but certainly not a refreshing beer. Tasty, throughout and leaves you wanting more.

05-21-2009 20:48:06 | More by TheRowan
gfsufb

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

Served from a 22oz bottle at Fifty Brews in Orlando. I was curious if I would like this as I respect but was not a huge fan of arrogant bastard. This beer takes it to a new level. Mouthfeel is unlike almost any beer out there. Alcohol content is high but not terribly noticeable. Taste is very complex and very interesting. Would recommend this to all true beer lovers. 22oz probably a little too much would have really enjoyed a nice pint of it on draft.

01-04-2011 01:31:35 | More by gfsufb
MikeM40

Connecticut

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

An easy pour into a Duvel tulip from a 22 oz. bomber produces a medium foamy off white head and ample carbonation. The beer is a deep carmel color...and looks delicious. The nose is incredibly fruity,sweet citrus and plums,apricots,and dark fruit with hints of sweet apples are all present. This beer smells delicious. The mouthfeel is medium and seems just right for this brew. The first sip reveals bitter hops up front which give way to a complex variety of fruits,both citrus and dark fruits and this beer does a great job balancing all of the flavors. The taste does not have the sweetness that the smell implies,there is deep bitterness that runs through this beer but somehow a slight sweetness remains on the tongue. The finish is a lingering hoppy bitterness. This beer also does a great job masking it's high ABV.

06-01-2011 20:50:54 | More by MikeM40
californiakebab

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Rainy day, kind of hungover from the weekend...why not pop open a double bastard ale? Pours a cloudy, amberish brown with a thick, pale caramel head of foam. After a few swirls, I'm picking up a strong aroma of juicy citrus, and fat caramel malt. The raisiny, dark fruity character of crystal malt harmonizes with the heavy dosage of American c-hops for an assertively rich, robust flavor. Huge bitterness on the finish. Medium - full bodied, has a perfect amount of carbonation to keep it from being too heavy. Such an enjoyable beer, so smooth for near 11% abv. The balance achieved between massive malt and massive hops is incredible, making this a world class beer in my book.

01-24-2012 03:57:45 | More by californiakebab
Matthew_Phoenix

4.48/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

22 ouncer. Bought it for $10, pretty expensive. This beer is bursting with flavor. A lot of tart fruitiness, sharp hop flavor, some subtle malt backbone, and of course some booze going on here, as it is quite high on the ABV.

I couldn't ask for a better view. Pretty much the same as the oaked version, minus the oak flavor. This is a VERY strong beer, something you need to sip. Its actually so heavy and boozy, your body almost forces you to sip it.

Overall, you'd be hard pressed to find another beer quite like this one. One of a kind. Only thing that keeps me from buying this on a regular basis is the price, and the fact that I'm not a full blown alcoholic.

01-03-2014 06:08:31 | More by Matthew_Phoenix
badturtle

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

I didn't much care for Double Bastard, but then I tried the '05 release. Double Bastard is an amazing strong ale. It is a dark red. The smell is of carmel and hops. It tastes like hemoglobin and carmel. It doesn't taste like alcohol, even though the ABV is high. The high ABV keeps it from being exceptionally drinkable, but the taste is great. If it had about half the alcohol that it has, it would be straight 5s.

11-22-2005 02:23:35 | More by badturtle
ruinationation

Arizona

4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured a dark ruby almost brown color. Not alot of head forms and then quickly disappears. Little lace traces but nothing campared to original AB.

Has a very sweet carmal and floral notes. The sweetness of this beer was surprising to me.

Has a very complex taste with pine, carmal, and maybe a little plums coming through. IBUs are a little misleading.

Thick consentency, spit like you've been drinking coffee. I prefer the original AB but this is a good double, but would like to age one and see if the sweetness eases up. I recomend one of these followed by a ruination.

01-09-2007 06:07:43 | More by ruinationation
Yaz8

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

22 oz bomber poured into a pint glass. Two-finger head that stayed strong and left nice sticky lacing.

Caramel and citrus were strongest on the nose, which also held a background of dark fruits and malts.

Wonderfully balanced caramel malt sweetness and slightly citrusy hops bitterness on the palate. Complexity seemed to increase as the beer warmed, and additional flavors of spices, ripe fruit, and carmelized sugars come through.

Medium to full mouthfeel, good carbonation, and a pleasant aftertaste. Alcohol is warming, not overpowering. Excellent beer.

11-16-2008 08:25:51 | More by Yaz8
twelvinlucifer

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

One of my all time favorite beers!!! I really like bottle conditioned ales but actually prefer that this beer not be. Everything about this beer is perfect or near perfection!

I love the ruby color!

I think the carmel smell and perfectly balenced hop malt ratio is inpecable!

This is without a doubt one of the best batches of Double Bastard EVER! 2009 sets a new standard for this and all beers!

11-05-2009 05:48:30 | More by twelvinlucifer
inspektor

4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a crimson myriad of decadence with a moderate head that is accompanied by the same level of lacing.

Hints of alcohol followed by an impressive amount of caramel and blossomy hops upon initial inspection. An array of fruit is present as well to complete the spectrum.

The taste solidifies this double ale's position and superiority over his "younger" brother who is only half as arrogant. Hoppy not overbearing. Strong ABV but not brutal. Well balanced and impressively enjoyable throughout. A bit on the malty side, but that is par for the course in this realm.

The mouthfeel is substantial in girth with lingering traces of malt and hops, followed by a syrupy finish. As the contents of the glass diminishes, the carbonation becomes more apparent, but overall this doesn't detract from the overall enjoyment.

Slightly more enjoyable and vastly more complex than Arrogant Bastard Ale, this is definitely an American Strong Ale that excels at drinkability. Very well balanced between all aspect that comprise a beer that can be enjoyed for multiple iterations.

Serving type: growler

12-25-2009 21:30:34 | More by inspektor
EA728

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

A: Amber/Orange Color, almost identical to AB, not much head.

S: Very hopy

T: Sweet, malty with a bit of hops. Did a side by side comparison with AB, so it didn't taste as hopy as that, but still pleasant. Almost has a Belgian Strong Ale taste with the sweetness.

M: very smooth, thicker than AB, but that's to be expected.

O: I loved this beer, its a sweeter, less hopy, maltier beer than AB.

11-05-2011 19:20:01 | More by EA728
beerbellydaddy

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

22 ounces of Double Bastard Ale at 10.5% alcohol.

This stuff pours a full, cloudy copper beverage, with a decent head, and some notable lacing. It has a nice blended scent of malts and hops with few other excesses. Its initial flavor is subtle; like so many of the excellent Stone brews, it is full and satisfying, but not insistent. It is straight beer, which I like, not chocolate or sweet, but mostly hopped up with a malty balance – a fair and decent ale. God, it’s good.

01-07-2012 04:31:33 | More by beerbellydaddy
Jagen

4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from bomber into snifter
A – pours with an amber, two finger white head with great retention. Very dark red amber color…hard to see through to the other side unless held up to a light. Head very slowly fades away leaving minimal lacing on the side…fades to a mild amount of head retention. A ruby red color is a very accurate description
S – mm…very present hop notes. Nice, sweet, and fruity. When you take a very deep smell of it, you can definitely feel the alcohol lingering in the background
T Wow! This truly deserves the name double bastard…everything that arrogant bastard has but doubled. Strong alcohol bite in the front with a hoppy/malty finish. Makes you question your hubris for daring to drink this bomber by yourself! This is a fresh bomber that I just bought. I now know the bastard…but I do not know if it will set me free. As I have never had this before (I think I may have had it on tap in the past…no way of verifying), I look forward to seeing how the rest of my bottles will age. The aftertaste is the hop character lingering…very strong hop character that attacks you immediately. This is cold right out of my car (has sat there during my work shift…low 30’s when I left work)…going to continue this review when it warms up. The alcohol and hop character seem a little overwhelming right now..as it warms. The heat leaves a little leaving way to a deliciously strong, hoppy character beer with a strong malt profile in the background
M When cold, it feels very carbonated. The carbonation and hops attack your mouth and seek to control it…not necessarily bad, but almost overwhelming!
O While I really enjoy this beer, I think it is a little hot fresh. I look forward to seeing how this evolves in the future…If I didn’t have a twelve hour grace period to recover from this, I would say that I was the arrogant bastard for daring to drink this solo…I will be working out my mouth and liver to deal with this bastard. This is a damned good beer. My one regret is drinking it so fresh but I am also reminded that I have a few sitting in the cellar waiting for the right opportunity to be unleashed

11-04-2012 09:26:37 | More by Jagen
Boolshot

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured a deep orange/amber, and smelled of sweet/tart grapefruit. Truly Double the Arrogance. Very hoppy to start, then the hop/caramel/citrus tastes settles in, with a clean slightly sweet finish. I would never guess the ABV without checking the bottle. This really knocked my socks off!

05-07-2006 04:52:55 | More by Boolshot
HoppyInfidel

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured a 22 oz. into a pint glass. Hue was dark amber, with a slight head, tan in color. The ale's malt held up nicely to what could have been overpowering hops. Finished bitter. The diatribe on the back of the bottle made for an entertaining read during the imbibing. Would drink this one again -- have yet to meet a Stone brew I didn't like.

12-25-2007 03:41:15 | More by HoppyInfidel
JordanC

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Nice amber color with a head that sticks around

It smelled very malty, so much so I expected less hops out of the taste.

Loved the balance between hops and malt. At first there is a caramel taste and then hops begin to over whelm it. But what is left on your tongue is the initial malty-caramel flavor leaving a non-bitter aftertaste

Nice and thick for a strong ale. I liked the way you got a nice hop bitterness but it did not stick there afterward

A good beer if you like hops (some don't). This is the first of these releases I've had, but will not be my last

11-28-2008 22:37:41 | More by JordanC
jcpaulun

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured into a pint glass from a bottle. You have to love Stone's bottle art and diatribes.

A: Pours a hazy reddish brown with a 1" thick tan head. Head dissapates to a small ring. No lacing to speak of.

S: Some nice sweet malt and citrus hops. The hops smell resiny and a little piney.

T: Upfront malty goodness that gives way to some bitter hops. The malt is accented by great pineapple and apricot hop goodness.

M: Medium body with a good amount of carbonation.

D: The alcohol is hidden nicely. I didn't have any problem taking down my bomber. I will be looking to pick this up again.

07-29-2009 22:45:26 | More by jcpaulun
Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.