Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,298 | Reviews: 2,072

I had this exceptional brew on draft at a recent tasting/release at my favorite bar here in Ann Arbor.

A- A very pronounced Amber color. It actually appears to be a bit lighter (in color) than the Arrogant Bastard.

S- This is the first punch in the mouth. Naturally, the first aroma that hits you is the hops and boy is it a hit. After the initial hop aroma there is plenty of citrus, but not in a bitter way, the hops take care of that. It almost seems more like a ripe orange or perhaps pineapple, rather than lemon.

T- This is the 2 of the 1-2 punch this brew hits you with. The taste is out of this world. It has the huge hop taste and flavor of an Imperial IPA with more sweetened malt balance. This is one that can be savored. I really like that it is big and heavy like an Imperial, but with amazing balance.

M- The feel is obviously malty. It is nice and smooth. With some beers of this gravity, I feel they can have a tendency leave an almost abrasive feel in your mouth, but this does not occur here.

D- I love drinking this beer. It has a great aftertaste that stays with you, while still enticing your for more.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

consumed 03-17-2010, 22oz bomber into snifter.

I was totally blown away by this brew. I was expecting this to be super hoppy and a beefed up version of AB, but i was wrong. But its a good thing! this thing is so drinkable it almost brings a tear to my eye. smell was the AB smell but more sweet and boozy. taste was magnificent. Hops, sweet malt, caramel, burnt resin, citrus, pine, grapefruit, pineapple, booze. but it goes down so smooth. you do get that burning sensation going down, but its bearable. delicious ass beer.

very similar traits to an American Barley Wine.

3.18/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This beer was totally different from any beer I have ever tasted. It kind of kicked my ass. Very strong alcohol taste. Burned going down like a shot of whiskey. It was good, but not what I'm looking for in a beer. I can see how some other people might like it , but it's not for me.

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2003 Release.

Woa! Nice, very nice.

I usually don't notice the abv % before drinking a beer, so this one really crept up on me in a most pleasant way. I was just about finished reading the label's "diatribe" when I thought, 'This is better than I thought when I first tasted it a few minutes before.' So, I looked at the label for the abv and saw the 10% and said, "Oh, this is pretty good. I want another."

Thanks for sharing.

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

courtesy of beerbeing

2005 sampling

appearance is like a penny that is 3 years old. there is a nice slight tan had, with great lacing, which is a good characteristic of most stone brews. the smell is very molassey/brown sugarry. the hops are also very present. the taste is incredible. notes of caramel, raisins, pine, and hints of citrus. man, i love the sweetness of this brew. alcohol ios present, but not scary. very drinkable if it weren't for the higher abv on this, i would love to sit around and just sip this bad boy all night.

4.88/5  rDev +14.6%

2006 Release

Received today from the world's best trader: nlmartin. This has become quite an affair. Thanks buddy.

Poured after yet another 12 hour day into my trusty Duvel Tulip.

A - A gorgeous ruby red. Beautiful head after a conservative pour, bubbly lacing.

S - Sweet, fruity hops. much more complex than the "un-squared" Bastard. Much more warm and inviting. Candied plums?

T - F**k Me! This is one fantabulous ale! Wonderful, sweet malty opening, followed by a bitch-slap of hoppy bitterness which segues immediately into a warm, kick-ass alcohol finish. Gimme more!

M - Fills every crook and nanny. Leaves a wonderful thick, tasty, malty coating on the tongue which is only improved by the next sip.

D - Let me put it this way: I worked 12 hours today, got home at 9:45. I have the same schedule tomorrow. I had resolved to have "just one". ...The next one is currently chilling ( to about 45ish degrees), in the fridge. God this is good shit....

I loved the Bastard, I guess I adore the Bastard squared. I have 10 left....I need at least another 24 for the Winter. Thanks Nate!

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

A: Poured a hazy sweet tea like reddish brown. The head was dense and light brown. The lacing clings to the glass until the last drop all the way down the walls of the glass

S: Bakers chocolate, caramel, pine, citrus... like grapefruit and orange rinds, bread.

T: Bitter sweet chocolate, biscuit, grapefruit, hops, grapefruit and other citrus fruits. As it heats up the flavor bursts, warms the throat, that's for sure.

M: Medium body but smooth smooth, the carbonation isnt over powering tingles a bit. You can definately feel the alcohol and it leaves a slight bitter coffee taste in the mouth with a lingering alcohol slow burn. I like it alot! I definately could drink a few of these.

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%

Semi-aggressive pour from a cellar temp bomber into a room temp pint glass:

I would paint my living room the same colors as double bastard! The walls would be a golden caramel-red and the trim would be a golden tan cream! The colors in this pint deserve a halo! A two finger head dissipates after time, and as I drink, it leaves a mess of splotches and spiderwebs down the sides of the glass.

Aromas of pine and hops hit the nose at first followed by autumn harvest fruits. A malty undertone ties it all together.

What a balanced flavor! I can sense the hops but they aren't overwhelming at all. The malted sweetness balances the bitterness perfectly. Hints of apples and cream lend a stroke of genius to this wonderful beer.

A rolling creamy liquidity flushes through the mouth. It's a summery feeling, but it will go great the entirety of the year.

This beer rates a perfect in drinkability! I want gallons and gallons of this beer. It's perfect as a thirst quencher, a session beer, or something to try for the first time on a chilly winter night. Perfect in sips or quaffs a warming bloom of alcohol and a slight slur accompany the bottom of the 22oz bottle.

4.17/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a brownish red with a half inch foamy tan head, some of which sticks around. Some lacing that doesn't stay stuck to the sides for very long.

Smells of caramel malts, grapefruit. Sweet and bready. Like a fruit pie! Something else I can't put my finger on, but it smells great.

Hints of caramel in the flavor, some roastiness, sweetness, malt backbone. Hop bitterness is balanced out by the malts very well, with only a tiny bit of bitterness in the finish. This is extremely smooth for a 10.5% ABV beer.

Mouthfeel is sort of velvety smooth.

Stone is an incredible brewery. I haven't been disappointed by one of their beers yet, and this is no exception. Another great one in their lineup.

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

"Over the top" is what comes to mind when drinking this potent brew. Not that it's a bad thing, necessarily. But it does give a new meaning to the phrase "too much of a good thing" after one bottle.

Pours a rich darkwood color with decent head, which doesn't stay on for too long. Smells, quite ominously, of exotic fruit, alcohol and burnt sugar.

I can best describe the impression from the first gulp as - it's like biting into an otherworldly juicy fruit. Kind of like a persimmon from a different planet. An exceptionally bitter, flavorful, grassy persimmon. It occupies entire mouth and assaults every taste bud with a gamma of aromas. I can't make out initial taste, or the aftertaste - it's just one huge taste bomb. Bitter, juicy, sweet, woodsy, chocolaty, almost a liquid dessert.

I'm puzzled by this beer. It's definitely not a session beer, I can't imagine it going well with any kind of food, really...yet it does create an experience. I can't say I'm a fan, though. Maybe I have to try another bottle.

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured out of the 22oz. bomber into a large mug, because I don't have the correct glassware for this beer. It pours a beautiful thick dark-reddish brown with a two finger head that dissipates quickly (I think I need to wash my glasses better because no beer has been holding a head recently).

The first thing that hits you in the nose is hops. There is a lot of bitterness upfront, but underneath that is a hint of the flavors to come, including a bit of fruit sweetness.

When cold the most overwhelming flavor is the extreme hop bitterness that overrides everything else, but as it warms up the other flavors come through. Sweet fruit flavors, sharp pineapple, a bit of malty sweetness are all tied together by the hops, which weave in and out of everything else on your palate and leave a pleasant lingering bitter aftertaste.

The beer is smooth in the mouth with a bit of carbonation and a nice oily hop feel.

This beer is dangerous. There is no hint of the 10% alcohol. I could drink several bottles easily in a session.

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: This beer poured a dark red mahogony/copper color with a thick two finger bubble filled head that maintained excellent lacing.
S: Immediately after the pour I was hit with sweet caramel and malt aromas, but the nose quickly evolved into a strong dominating pine scent with hints of citrus. The caramel malt lingered in the background.
T: Excellent. A complex mix of sweet caramel malt and pine hops. A citrus zest bitterness lingered in the aftertaste, while the alcohol was noticeable. Alcohol becomes more prevalent as beer warms throughout tasting.
M: This beer had a creamy full bodied mouthfeel with excellent carbonation and a dry bitter finish.
T: Very refreshing and drinkable considering the high alcohol content.

4.51/5  rDev +5.9%

Aroma: Lots of dark fruitiness, malty, slight chocolate notes

Appearance: Off white creamy head, with a beautiful, clear, deep copper body.

Taste: Full of dark fruits, plum sweetness, complex malts, touches of chocolate, with a citrusy, zingy, hoppy finsh. Malty aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Thick, full, and creamy

Drinkability: Dammit, I want some more, STONE MUST COME TO COLORADO!!!

The Festival flyer I have lists the OG as 1.096

4.67/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance: Very cool bottle. Pours dark amber, almost black into my nonick pint glass. Low to medium carbonation. Thin but adequate head, leaves some lacing.

Smell: Grapefruit, caramel, molasses all melding into what I can only describe as a pineapple-like scent. Both the hops and malt take over the room by exploding in this delicious bouquet the moment you unleash it from the bottle. Through all of this I can hardly detect the alcohol.

Taste: Sweet and fruity at first, opening up to an incredibly complex array of flavors. Tangy juicy hops battle dark malts with an almost scotch-like smoky caramel flavor for dominance. Never bitter or cloying, the balance of this brew is just perfect. Barely detectable alcohol presence. Very satisfying.

Mouthfeel: The thickness of this brew's malt backbone coupled with the hop oils is something unique which I regret to say I've never experienced before, not even in imperial stouts or heavy barleywines. I hesitate to describe it as syrupy, but I think in this case it is an apt description which applies only in the most positive of ways. Gentle carbonation releases new flavors on the tongue. Truly exceptional.

Drinkability: I could easily knock back several of these in a night, rather unusual for such thick, high abv brews. Truth be told it just tastes and feels so damn good that you can have one after another until you're absolutely plastered if you don't stop yourself.

One of many reasons we should be proud of the microbreweries here in North America. This is truly innovative, worldclass beer.

4.8/5  rDev +12.7%

A: Pours an amber, dark red ruby, almost mahogany color with quite a thick, tannish head that doesn't dissipate for a while.

S: Some malty aroma mixed equally well with a large burst of hops, with added bits of small-toned fruit and a hint of alcohol, not nearly as strong as the taste.

T: Very complex; for as strong as the taste is it is a magnificently smooth beer. Well-balanced high amounts of hops and malt, along with a mixture of fruit, pine and hint of toasted caramel and alcohol. Strength of the taste doesn't hit until you have swallowed the swig.

MF: Amazing, relatively thick mouthfeel, keeping in consideration the percent by volume. Just the right amount of carbonation and also with a bit of lingering alcohol as well as a relatively strong aftertaste of hops that will leave you wanting more.

D: Although this beer is heavy on the taste buds, it doesn't seem quite as heavy on the stomach. However, even though the taste is quite great, the sheer strength of this brew will leave you only able to drink a moderate amount of these at a time.

Overall, an impressively strong and tasty brew that has earned quite a bit of my respect for the Stone Brewing Company. Definitely worth it.

4.46/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from bottle to pint glass. Has a nice brown color with a slight off white head. When held to the light has a nice golden brown color.

Has a decent smell this is probably the only weak point of the brew. Hops and carmel and some slight fruits but the overwhelming smell is alcohol.

The taste is the best part for me. Definite hop bitterness followed by wonderful sweet caramel. Can pick up just a bit of citrus as with most ipa brews. I immensely enjoy the burnt toast aftertaste along with the dry hop flavor it leaves.

Mouthfeel is great smooth and light with a bit of carbonation. Despite the alcohol content i could drink this stuff all day and enjoy all of it. I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a double ipa. drink up and enjoy

4.87/5  rDev +14.3%

Ok. I've been wanting this brew ever since I got my hands on my very first arrogant bastard...09' release and here we go...

(a)- Pop the top off and I instantly know I'm in for a trip. Beer pours into pilsner with next to no head. This looks like some wicked stuff. Dark dark carmel color. (4.5/5)

(s)- I don't even know what to say. First sniff of this stuff and I'm hesitant to take a sip. Frangrance is so alive, strong toffee, caramel and pine scents hit the nose. I feel like I've I breathe any deeper I might knock myself out. (5/5)

(t)- Wow. I really can't put my finger on it. Taste is almost even with sensation. Strong toffee, caramel flavors. Something really sweet in there...almost like a hint of pineapple that's growing on a damn pine tree. D-licious (5/5)

(m)- Completely different experience than Arrogant Bastard. It doesnt hit you up front and leave you until the next sip, this beer is here and here to stay. Mouthfell is very unique because I feel like my mouth and tongue are clicking on all cylinders...noting is getting missed. With over 100 IBU's this beer is amazingly smooth, and the bitterness is almost overlooked for all the awesome flavor and feelings. (5/5)

(d)- As far as drinkability goes, if I made a point to, I could probably drink more than 1 of these at a sitting...but 2 would be max. This beer is exceptionaly smooth, much more than AB. This beer was such a suprize...no wonder its a favorite in the Extreme American Ale category. I feel like this brew has far more return qualities than beers with similiar ABV. (4.5/5)

Thank you Stone!!

4.6/5  rDev +8%

Appearance: dark mahogany, finger and a half of head.

Smell: as I first pour it cold from the bottle, I detect the rich caramel flavor that I have come to associate with Double Bastard's syrupy predecessors.

Taste: Rich caramel from the malt hits first, with wholegrain tasting malts showing through in the finish. These flavors are complimented by a solid alcohol presence and a finishing appearance of hops to round out the footprint for a well balanced beer.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy and thick with too much carbonation added to balance it out. It warms the mouth, and the beer reveals layers of flavor with each sip.

Drinkability: This beer packs a lot of things into a bottle, and does each of them well. All the disparate elements, the nutty and caramel maltiness, accompanied by a hops cameo that appears in the latter parts of the swig, are tied together ingeniously. I have come to expect the world from all releases of Double Bastard, and I have yet to be disappointed. As of this review, I have enjoyed the '03, '09, and 2010.

4.24/5  rDev -0.5%

2010 double bastard opened for my birthday. Aged 4 months in my cellar; poured into a tulip at cellar temp.

Knockout of a beer. My nose isn't the most adept in the world (thanks allergies), but for some reason I thought "rum-soaked cake" when I took a whiff of this. I preferred the smell to the taste, which was still a bit too hot. Overall, though, a damn fine beer and perfect for celebrating an achievement such as 23 years of existing.

3.8/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

This is rebel ale. This is even pretty strong for myself. Packs a great buZz but it's tough to take down. Very heavy but worth it. Buyer beware

4.73/5  rDev +11%

Pours a ruby red with a thick head that dissipates into a light coat of froth. As the carbonation struggles to the surface, I begin to wonder what I'm in for.

I inhale a whiff and am in another place. Sweet and strong, this smells like something to be reckoned with. But that's just the start.

The taste... Oh, the taste. The malty sweetness cuts the hop oils, and both linger on the palette, warming the body and bringing a smile to the soul.

You can't drink it all night, but for the time the bottle lasts, it's heaven (or hell) in a glass. Double bastard is everything arrogant bastard wishes it could be.

3.94/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a La Fin Du Monde tulip.
Appearance is murky amber/brown.
Aroma is sweet, fruity, raisiny. Interesting
Soft mouthfeel leads to a smooth, complex maltiness followed by a nice kick from the juicy, citrusy hops. Very well balanced. Alcohol is evident, but not excessive. I would never guess 10%.
Excellent strong ale. Will definitely buy more

4.08/5  rDev -4.2%

2008 release. 22oz poured into a pint glass

Pours a cherry brown with an off-white fluffy head. Smells of pineapple, citrusy hops with a biscuity maltly smell. The malts taste are the first thing to jump out. Biscuits and caramel. Hops are secondary as a dark fruit, shmuckers jam kick. Mouth feel is fairly light with light carbonation. It's very drinkable as a 10.5% beer. The intense malts might become a little overwhelming if I had too many of these.

Overall, I'm glad I tried this beer. Not the best beer in the world, but a solid beer nonetheless.

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance: Opaque, or very nearly so. Poured a dark ruby-red brown into a tulip glass. Decent head retention and lacing.

Smell: Hops; very piney and aggressive.

Taste: Wonderfully hoppy with notes of smoky wood and caramel. The alcohol has a nice warming effect, and the flavors become more complex as it warms to room temperature.

Mouthfeel: When cold, at first, the carbonation gives it a nice tingly feeling. It becomes more syrupy and chewy as it warms up.

Drinkability: Surprisingly drinkable for a 10% American Strong Ale. The flavors are more pronounced when it gets warmer, but it goes down a bit easier when colder. Nevertheless, the effort is worth it, as this is an exceptional brew.

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

What a beer! You don't have to be a double bastard to try this beer, but you do have to be a double hop and malt head. This beer had me at "smell" hello... what great head retention and aroma! Super powerful @ 11%, but after two drinks it flows like Niagra Falls. There are so many flavors, smells, aromas going on that it is a circus of sensations. Can't believe I waited so long to try it... I'm hooked!

Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.