2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Double Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Double Bastard AleDouble Bastard Ale

Reviews: 1959

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Bastard Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,070 | Reviews: 1,959 | Show All Ratings:
mhowell

3.15/5  rDev -26.2%

Nice deep burnt orange brown color, retaining a thin brown head. Still struggling to define the aroma, wife says 'pineapple? fruity?'. I smell nothing. Very malty flavor with excellent body, then the alcohol steps in and punches you in the mouth. To me, it left behind a 'dried grain fortified with vodka' aftertaste. My God, my lips are numb! I would probably drink this again, but not the wife. Started the sample at 50 deg., and as it warms, it actually seems to mellow and get better.

12-31-2004 18:50:56 | More by mhowell
redteg02

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

Apperance: is almost like a fine scotch with a darker red highlight. poured it the traditonal way (tilted for half the glass, in the center for half the glass), and it produced no head at all, a little disapointing and what kept this beer at a 4

Smell:Wow, a lot better than the regular bastard. strong fruit with just a mild hint of the alcohol. my comments do not do it justice, truly an impressive smell. best ive had.

Taste: again wow, first impressions are fruity, but counter acted by a nice bitterness (nothing too powerful though). very complex in the taste, almost a woody taste in there but nothing too strong. goes down smooth and tastes wonderful.

Mouthfeel: full and just shy of chewy. very nice

Drinkability: i could drink this all night long. however since it is 10% ABV i would not remember drinking it the next day. with that said 3-4 and i'd be set.

12-04-2005 07:52:37 | More by redteg02
trumpetego

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

2008 Vintage poured from a 22oz bomber with a highly entertaining diatribe on the back.

A - Amber with a creamy head which eventually dissipates. Moderate lacing, which persists over the hour or so I've been drinking this.

S - Grapefruit, citrus, pine, hops. Hints of alchohol, malt, and fruity sweetness.

T - Exceptionally well balanced between the typical West Coast hop bitterness and malt. The maltiness becomes more pronounced as the beer warms. The 10.5% ABV stays well hidden. Some caramel and burnt sugar along with hops in the finish.

M - Very pleasant carbonation - not too much, but not too little either. This would probably mellow out with age (which I fully intend to try).

D - Excellent drinkability, considering the alchoholic heft of this beer. Although the good people at Stone would probably take issue with my phrasing, I would say this is one of their most balanced beers. It's got a lot of big flavors in it, but neither the hops nor the alchohol overpower the other flavors.

01-06-2009 07:26:38 | More by trumpetego
StoutCream

4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

Did the devil just piss in my mason jar? Because that's what I drink out of. Quart size when it comes to bombers. This one is half head half beer, and I know what I'm doing when I pour. Can't mind that much good head, but stay away from the Herp. Dark, cloudy amber (like, the darkest amber you've ever seen) looks thick and rusty straight on, but tilted in the light reminds me of a redheaded woman: stubborn and wild at the same time. Can you handle this? If you haven't had a red head, I wouldn't recommend it. Then again, enough of these will lower your inhibitions enough to actually pursue that cute redhead at the bar. Also not recommended. Both require proper supervision.

As the foam dissipates it smells like a Hawaiian Tropic store. Coconut pineapple (oddly enough I just ate a pineapple this morning that tasted like coconut) that slowly changes into malt, super-sugary malt with some green-y hops at the whiff.

Now to the piss, uh, beer . . .
SOOO Heady! Drunk in one sip, no lie. Just let that first swig linger in your mouth for a while before you swallow and I bet you will feel something - something in the back of your mind that says, "Did I just feel that in my brain?" The answer is maybe. I was already 22oz deep before I cracked this one, so that one sip might have taken me over some sort of threshold that I wasn't expecting. Whisked is more like it. So damned malty sweet, yet balanced off the back of my tongue with bitterness.

There is still an island of head on top teasing my nose with each sip.

The flavors are difficult to pin down, not that I don't recognize them, but they are whizzing around each other so fast that I can't tell where one ends and another begins. Cop-out, you say? Think Heisenberg. You can't tell where it is or how fast it's going at the same time and, trust me, all that alcohol puts the flavors in the fast lane to Digestion Land. Burnt sugar and ginger. Cinnamon toast and over-fried garlic. All while chewing on a piece of pine (which is toxic, don't do that) and a handful of grass (the lawn kind, hippie).

This beer has it's place . . . Hell.

03-12-2011 06:17:34 | More by StoutCream
BusyNinja

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

I love this beer in a bottle, and have been rationing myself after purchasing a full case. On tap it seems so much better balanced. Hops are present, but not in yer face. No alcohol taste, as was present/discernible in the bottle. All in all, a real treat on draft.

01-28-2007 01:21:10 | More by BusyNinja
tikk

4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

Decided to give this one a go for my first review, as it is a big favorite of mine.

2009 Release, poured into a snifter.

Looks to be a hazy, reddish-orange hue. Decent head, that leaves a little lacing.

The smell is very citrusy, a little piney, but there is a bit of maltiness.

Taste is just amazing, very strong on the hops, it is a mix of pine cone and grapefruit. It is also very sweet with a bit of malt. The taste of hops does linger in a great way. Can tell it is a high ABV, but it isn't unbalanced at all.

It is very smooth, and well balanced on the alcohol end.

I do love this beer, especially when fresh. It is not a beer you can have more than one of, and that one must be drank slowly.

Overall I do love this beer and highly recommend it to everyone.

11-26-2009 23:38:11 | More by tikk
Vineyardselite

Maryland

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

We have very limited amount of this bastard left in the shop, so come and get them before you miss out on them!!! SERIOUS, a world class beer!

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a snifter glass, a massive 10.5%ABV, it a huge beer. Pours out with a reddish, yellowish-brown hue, with a head that a hold a pencil upright! Creamy cap, with a light colored tan foam, and it lingered for a while too, that left behind trials of lace!

Wonderful aromas full of hops, and hops and lots of HOPS. Has this wonderful toffee, sweet, dark pit fruit aroma, that draws you in!

A nice, full body and smooth, thick mouthfeel, with just a spritz of carbonation drags a bashing of citrus hop bitterness, with notes of cherries and other dark fruits. An underlying malt sweetness is mostly masked by the powerful hop presence. Alcohol is well-hidden, and the dry, bitter finish keeps the brew going down until not a drop remains in the whopper of a bottle.

Drinkability is outstanding if you can handle the excessive ABV that stone has provided with this offering.

01-30-2009 15:04:39 | More by Vineyardselite
IPAlot

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

I really felt quite violated after tasting this beer. As soon as my nose crossed the rim of the glass, the aroma impaled my head with its pungent decadence, and lodged there like some mind-controlling parasite from another star system, where it's planet's native atmosphere is a boiling cauldron of scrumptiously malty gaseous organic compounds. I had to give a 5 for smell because I could not see, with my limited insight, room for improvement. This heady rush reminded me of Old Wooly Barleywine from Big Time Brewery in Seattle (Excellent beer check it out limited distribution and availability). This beer is all about the malts up front. The thick, sweet flavors coat your mouth. I gave a 4 in mouthfeel because I can see this beer gaining another dimension with some nitro creaminess to balance the malts. Only after you have accepted the Double Bastard into your mouth do the hops make their presence known, which I feel is generally in a supporting role, though they successfully add to the complexity of this beer's sequence. Paying close attention reveals that the flavor profile is very well preserved. The aftertaste is a masterpiece, you can just sit there and continue tasting your last mouthful for several minutes. Like the best foods, this beer stays in your mouth long after its physical substance has passed to your nether-regions. All the while the aroma smolders in your nostrils with a potency that makes you wonder if your lungs are receiving enough oxygen to maintain vital metabolic processes. I had a Chimay Trippel (tap) immediately after this beer, and it's subtlety was dashed against the lingering presence of the Bastard. Have to remember next time to drink a palate cleanser before dropping 12 bucks on a Trappist ale. It was like coming back to your nice girlfriend after a tawdry encounter with an experienced older woman, and you don't feel guilty that you're bored with your girlfriend because it was worth every second. A landmark addition to strong american ales.

IPAlot

ps I had this bar at Mahar's in Albany (check the beerfly review this place is unreal). They had a raffle going for a *magnum* of 5th anniversary Arrogant Bastard. The bottle had a cork (obviously) and a big 5 on it, but I didn't look close, I just bought a ticket and offered praise, worship, and eternal servitude to any god who would bless me with a winning ticket.

02-01-2003 08:33:45 | More by IPAlot
grapemaster

4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

When I bought my Double Bastard I did what all good beer drinkers should do....buy one for a friend to enjoy it with. He began to drink his first and when I asked him how it was he replies, "It's like a slap in the face". Not a bad slap in the face, but this damn beer is intense. It poured out deep amber with a thick head. I noticed hints of all sorts of sweetness, from different kinda of fruit to chocolate. However, what I noticed most was the fact that this beer has muscle. The hops seemed slightly stronger than the malts, but both were overshadowed by the pure power of the alcohol. Overall a good beer, but like the bottle says, you may not be worthy.

02-23-2005 21:52:00 | More by grapemaster
nephlim

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

Another winner from StoneBrew.

Appearance: pours a nice dark colour, almost like a creamy cola. When held to light, it has a very deep, intense red with a hint of brown.

Nose: Has a very clean smell to it, like a good French red. Very complex.

Taste: Lots of flavour, hits of deep fruits like fig. Feels nice on the palate.
Has a bit of an aftertaste, which is probably due to the high alcohol (10%). I bet this could go well with some hard cheese and wheat crackers. I'd say it's not as malty as the regular bastard; this one is more creamy.

Like a good wine, I found this opened up after a few minutes. I left my bottle out after opening it (serving from a Stella Artois promo tulip glass), and found more flavours as it got slightly warmer.

This was a good buy. Try it!

11-19-2005 03:22:27 | More by nephlim
PrimScrewhead

Rhode Island

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

Dear Lord I love this beer!

Serving : Bottle into Nonick

Appearance: Beautiful warm amber. No head, beer sticks to the sides.

Smell: Hops, sugar and alcohol.

Taste: Oh, boozey sweetness, how I love thee. Nice hoppy booze up front, mellows out in the middle to sweet and comes back around to a nice sharp finish.

Mouthfeel: More body than an Italian super model. Think Barleywine.

Overall: If you're looking for the best American Strong Ale on the market. Look no further.

12-23-2012 20:39:33 | More by PrimScrewhead
Tetano

Indiana

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

2004 Release

Did something special and used my Kwak glass.

It poured a dark amber color with a brownish tan head.

Smelled malty with a slight hint of hops.

Tastes woody, a small hint of sweetness, malty, with a hint of bitterness at the end. It has a nice citrus finish that is a bit unexpected considering the smell.

Mouthfeel is thick and resin. My tongue is completely coated and it holds for a bit so I can really taste the whole profile. The taste does not leave the mouth quickly.

This is a big beer that will blow your mind. I would not pound this fast. If the sun is setting in your neck of the woods and you have a good view, pour this slow and enjoy it slow at the same time.

05-03-2010 02:50:47 | More by Tetano
Skitowneric

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass with a heavy head. Dark caramel non-transparent coloring. Smells of sweet maybe brown sugar and just a little hops. Drinks very smooth considering the ABV. Light carbonation helps balance out the thickness. The finish of this beer has just the right amount of bitterness to balance out the initial sweetness. Overall I was very impressed and would be willing to pay the higher price again for this type of beer.

12-17-2009 00:40:44 | More by Skitowneric
swanny28

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

Had on tap with redrising at brixies brookfield IL:

A: Dark Red almost opaque : whispy head with a nice deep lacing
S: oh what hops: almost like pulling them off the vine. IMO the hops are the best part.

T: the hops are back. What a great taste....

M: I held this in the mouth as long as i can. What a great hop taste.. malts, very balanced... if you can get your hands on this buy it...

D: loved it: hold it in the mouth as long as you can. just like a fine wine...

so good imo ...

12-29-2010 04:58:07 | More by swanny28
ShreddedThumb

4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A gurgling froth from the obsidian-lined depths of Hell, Stone Brewing Co.'s Double Bastard Ale found its way into my local beer store. Here comes the hype, y'all: the coveted Double Bastard, the successor to the acclaimed Arrogant Bastard Ale, is said to be even more enjoyable and iconoclastic than its predecessor. With full disclosure in mind, I must admit that I did not particularly enjoy Arrogant Bastard. Yet, I am an open-minded beer snob. With that, let's crack open a bomber of Double Bastard and see if we can't have sympathy for this devil of a brew.

The Dorm Room Review

Poured from a 22 oz. Bomber into a Stone Brewing Co. licensed Arrogant Bastard pint glass. (I must admit, Stone's line of pint glasses stand out as the most appealing drink-ware I have ever seen. Guinness, eat your heart out.)
Also, before I get into the liquid review, I must reflect upon the excellent graphic design with which Stone specializes. Beer after beer, it's obvious that the Professional Writers and graphic designers have a special job at Stone. The "Diatribe" rearing the bomber (taking up at least 15 oz. of the Devil's nectar) arrogantly lambastes Macro brewers of both domestic and international origin. This academically-charged (and possibly Thesaurus-quoted) indictment of the likes of AB and Miller-Coors eviscerates the "yellow swill-drinking" majority, divisively separating the craft beer junkies from the ball-park crowd. Also, the Frank Miller-esque Devil caricature adorning the bottle acts as both an invitation an a warning; you don't even know what you're getting yourself into.

Appearance: The Double Bastard pours dark copper, almost ruby red in color. Sort of an extreme amber, if you will. Clearly, the beer is intended to be malevolent: nearly opaque, huge, thick alcohol legs, off-white & cappuccino head. Without direct light, this ale is opaque, red, and very, very dark.

Smell: Certainly complex. Malty flavors and scents prevail. Some smoky characteristics accompany the malted front, but an offensive, unabashed uppercut of alcohol assaults the nose. The hop-forward miasma does not beg to be noticed, as it wafts cruelly into the taster's cartilage. As the beer warms, some spices, dark fruits, cinnamon, and raisins become apparent. The olfactory sense is taken aback by DB; admittedly, the most diverse and experienced palates will identify the cornucopia of flavorful facets this ale has to offer.

Taste: Goodness gracious, great balls of fire! A concussive BOOM of hop bitterness onomatopoetimizes (new word) this ale's relentlessness astringency. While the scent is mostly malt-forward, the immediate taste revolves around a universe of tongue-shriveling bitterness. According to Stone, Chinook, Magnum, and Cascade hops are incorporated in the brew. The second aspect noticeable is the intense carbonation. Combining the astringent hop notes with the overarching carbonation, Double Bastard truly assaults not only the taste buds, but the entire mouth as a whole. The alcohol as mentioned from the smell is back again. Honestly, it tastes like scotch. The warmer concoction tastes bready and even maltier and more bitter. All the while, DB is smooth and drinkable. Yet, one should sip this carefully and thoughtfully, lest they invoke the disapproval of the brand's company Devil. Is it a red? A barleywine? An IPA? A strong ale? Double Bastard is in a class of its own: intense.

Mouthfeel: DRY. The prevailing mouthfeel is somewhat sweet and malty, but one cannot exclude the Sahara-like dryness emanating from all portions of the mouth. No one said the Devil was ever sweet.

Overall: Drinking a beer such as Double Bastard encourages me to develop my palate even further; moreover, it would be doubly important just to comprehend what I just consumed. Those with the most sophisticated tastes for alcohol will ultimately enjoy Double Bastard the most. Yet, even after reading the vociferous screed against the mainstream beer shysters, I firmly believe that any beer connoisseur should invest in a bottle of Double Bastard to sip with like-minded friends over good food and great conversation. They say the devil is in the details: if the Devil is this complex, one may wonder if the red incubus is simply just misunderstood.

06-16-2013 21:28:35 | More by ShreddedThumb
Ivegotmule

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

2012 Stone Double Bastard. 22oz into a pint glass. 6.99$ at Total Wine.

A. 4. Deep hazy golden red color. Perfect thick lingering head with lacing stuck all to the glass. Nice.

S. 4.5. Strong. So much alcohol coming through it covers up the hops I was expecting. Sort of smells like apple juice to me.

T. 5. Amazing. Pretty much the ideal for me. Strong and hoppy. Really like barley wine I keep thinking.

M. 5. Wonderful heavy body. I can feel the warming alcohol in my stomach too. Perfect.

O. 4.5. I'm saving my overall 5 for a game over type beer. That being said, if this was a year round release, I'm not sure I would buy anything else. It is one of Stone's best beers and they are my favorite brewery. I can't find anything I don't like. It is strong and hoppy and amazing especially for the price tag. If you can handle huge beers, buy 2! Drink responsibly!

12-23-2012 22:14:32 | More by Ivegotmule
alarusse

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

Very pretty to look at. Cloudy, dark orange/brown hue. Minimal head, and very little, splotchy lacing.

Overwhelming and delicious smell. Even now, as the glass is empty, I can still get a good aroma from the drops left at the bottom. Fruity without being too sweet. Maybe some slight coffee, but definitely in the background.

Taste is where it shines, in my opinion. Not "refreshing," per se, but magnificent and very complex. So much flavor it's absolutely overwhelming. Must be sipped, IMO. Thick in the mouth, but thankfully so, as the taste clings to every part of your mouth, even after you swallow.

While I would have a hard time drinking this quickly, I could definitely imbibe properly past the point of good, gentlemanly behavior with little trouble. The almost 11% abv is impressive, and, let me just say that 3/4 of the way through a bomber, I was doing the head droop, staring at the wall. Awesome.

11-07-2008 20:34:11 | More by alarusse
jrodvog148

Sweden

A beer well worth the wait. Anything you read about this beer is true and a sound purchase if you can find it. It is becoming more and more available then it used to be and from what I learned from a Stone Brewing rep that they ship it out in the fall time. This might have changed since then. Found it at the Canal's in Hamilton Square off of rt 130.

03-28-2009 17:38:31 | More by jrodvog148
jerseyjoe

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Picked up a 22ounce bomber at Rutherford Wine Shoppe, Rutherford NJ

A- dark reddish copper color with a thick white creamy head that lingers throughout.

S- Pine, Grapefruit, Pineapple, Hops and Malt...my nose is all over the damn place!!

T- Hops and Pine with a bitter kick. Honestly this beer is all over the place just like the smell. Every sip is a pleasant surprise. Smooth with light carbonation. I enjoyed this beer very much and enjoyed it even more than my beloved Arrogant Bastard.

Side note: Stone Brewing oompany maked the most creative bottles in the business. Art work and design is superb.

03-01-2009 23:58:23 | More by jerseyjoe
GonzoPizzaBurger

Indiana

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Double Bastard = Liquid glory. Poured into a pint glass from a 22oz brown bomber with a red and white gargoyle mirrored image on the front.

A- Beautiful. My kind of beer.Thick frothy 2 finger creamy white head over a full bodied dark-reddish amber brew. Sticky lacing with great retention, microbubbles dance on the top.

S- Sweet malt and sugar, alcohol, burnt chocolate and a whiff or refreshing fruity hops. In that order.

T- Incredible, very complex. Smooth beginning that gives off a lot of sweetness to be immediately followed by a welcoming hop bitterness that does not allow the sweetness of this one to get carried away. The alcohol is masked by the balance of all of these wonderful flavors. They linger on the palate a while after drinking, and I can't complain!

M- Sticky, almost syrupy, taste definitely lingers on tongue. A bit tingly from the huge 10.5 abv.

D- Don't think I could drink anything else after this one, very strong, complex brew that I would pair with a giant slab of ribs with drenched in sbr's bbq sauce. Or as a night cap.

Another great brew from Stone!!

04-16-2009 00:03:14 | More by GonzoPizzaBurger
ezperkins2

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

Stone Double Bastard – 2007
Poured from a bomber into a tulip (09/14/11)

A: A beautiful mahogany with traces of golden orange when held to a light. A standard pour garnished a decent ¼ inch off white almost light brown head that stuck around for a short while. Decent lacing

S: I believe the age on this bottle has hurt the nose a bit. Without the hop presence there are a lot of subtle smells but nothing over powering. Malts come first followed by sweet dark fruits. I even picked up a very subtle cola like aroma.

T: If the age hurt the nose it was more than made up for once it was tasted. It definitely still has that very distinct bastard malt character but the subtle nuances of the other flavors are fantastic. The first taste mirrors the nose with a very sweet raison/fig taste but there is still a bitter finish. The citrusy piney flavors are gone but the bitterness still shows up in the finish. There is still a bit of booze but is welcome to help cut the sweetness.

M: Thick and oily with a great lingering taste. This one stays with you for a while. Once the bomber was gone I tasted it for while. Carbonation was spot on and even gave a nice pop upon opening.

O: Fresh Double Bastard is good but I feel the years have been very kind to this brew. I have a few more 07’s and 08’s left in the cellar and will treasure them. Saying this is a big beer is an understatement. Most barley wines do not have the complex power this brew packs. I highly recommend to anyone who enjoys aging beer to grab a handful of double bastards and stash them away for years to come.

09-15-2011 05:02:22 | More by ezperkins2
Petcha

4.78/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Opaque brownish red

S: Malty dark fruit, some citrus and booze,

T: Pretty brilliant balance of sweet fruit, fig-like beginning with a surprisingly citrusy backbone. Very complex flavors that are well balanced that hide and ABV well.

M: Thick but finished pretty clean

O: Love this beer. Balanced complexity is executed very well. My favorite strong ale yet. My wife and a non beer snob friend both did double takes when trying this with me. Let's just say that we were all a bit sad when this bottle was empty.

02-17-2013 06:01:29 | More by Petcha
HoppyHomo

3.33/5  rDev -22%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up at the local shoprite which has recently opened up a liquor department. Not sure how long this has been sitting on the shelf:

It has a nice smooth red copper appearance with a non-heady pour. I was expecting this to be a way too strong IPA, but its not and i was pleasantly surprised. Sometimes the high alcohol content makes me feel like I'm drinking vodka and not a beer. But i felt this was just right. And while this may not be the best IPA I've had this year, month or week; its certainly not that bad.

11-22-2012 03:33:46 | More by HoppyHomo
Ry_Swell_Guy

4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

A very strong beer in many ways. Bold hoppy flavor and just enough burn (though still surprisingly smooth) to let you know what a strong brew you are drinking! One bomber bottle of this and I was already feeling quite pleasant! Smelled great, cool bottle, looks great in a glass, nice small head and nice coloring.

07-05-2013 19:09:39 | More by Ry_Swell_Guy
sagito327

Honestly, without question the best beer I've ever tasted, and I can find not a single flaw. Bought a pint sized bottle from Marty's liquors on Harvard ave. Pours a brown color with a beautiful white head that retains throughout. Lacing is perfect. Smells of fruit, pineapple maybe? Taste is perfection at its most perfectionist. Fruit, hops, and others which my palate cannot pick out. The entire palate tingles. I could drink these all day, or until I passed out.

07-25-2005 05:08:23 | More by sagito327
Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing Co.