2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Matt's Burning Rosids - Stone Brewing Co.

Matt's Burning RosidsMatt's Burning Rosids

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  10.50% ABV

(Beer added by: DerrickW on 01-03-2014)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

04-22-2014 01:11:58 | More by robotiks
Brenden

4.09/5  rDev +8.8%

This one comes off the tap with a nice, creamy almost-white head about a finger tall that shows resilience and falls slowly during the session. The brew itself is a clear and brightly shining orange-gold. Lacing is dropped in solid patching.
Smoke is gentle but there, at a very nice level as it makes itself known without charging. A bit of leaf, almost herbal, rests beneath that, and then some earth comes out. There's a bit of spiciness, both kitchen and pepper.
The flavor lets the smoke build on the tongue, and the surprise to me is how much fruit is in the taste. It's got lots of brightness, and the way it works with the smoke is very nice. It has a slight tartness, some citrus flavors making some headway in the middle to finish with the smoke and a light lingering leaf. The way the smoke builds without ever overpowering, adding more tang, or getting acrid displays a mastery. Earthy and spicy play a supporting role, always noticeable without vying for attention.
The body is about medium, and it may have a bit of heft for a Saison. It is bright and the crispness makes it very refreshing. Smoothness isn't lacking, either.

04-21-2014 21:51:45 | More by Brenden

tabascosigned

04-18-2014 17:28:27 | More by tabascosigned
StoutHunter

3.3/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Stone's Matt's Burning Rosids last month for $6.99 at The Lager Mill. This one seems like a pretty interesting beer and I don't think I've ever had a smoked Saison before and I'm interested to see how it turns out, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a Belgian tulip.

A- The bottle looks pretty nice, I think the look of the bottle goes well with the name. It poured a yellow orange color that took on a darker golden and orange color when held to the light with three fingers worth of creamy white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the smoke being the first to show up and it's almost on the border of being medium smokey and it's followed by some sweet malt aroma. Up next comes the Belgian yeast with some citrus rind and banana like aromas coming through. Towards the end comes a little more fruity aromas with some green apple coming through and there's a little bit of spicy and earthy hop aromas. This beer has a decent aroma, I like the smokey aspect, but the Saison aromas were a little dull and sweet.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the sweet malts being the first to show up and their followed by that Belgian yeast that imparts the same aspects that it did in the aroma with citrus rinds showing up the most this time and the banana shows up a little in the background along with a slight green apple flavor. Up next comes the same amount of smoke that I got in the aroma with a slightly boozy flavor that's a little warming and it's followed by the hops that impart a spicy flavor and a slightly higher amount of medium bitterness with a sweet fruity, lightly smokey and Belgian yeast like aftertaste. This was a decent tasting beer, but I thought the sweetness and the alcohol showed up a little more then they needed to.

M- Not the smoothest, a little boozy, a little cloying, a little sticky, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was decent, but it was a little too thick and sticky for me.

Overall I thought this was decent beer and a decent example of a Saison and a pretty unique example of the style, but it's not really how I prefer my Saisons, they call it a Imperial Saison and I would say that's what I would call it too, it reminds me a little of Brewery Vivant Zaison with the higher sweetness and noticeable alcohol. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it wasn't too smooth, it was a little thick, a little boozy, little cloying, a little filling and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, I think half the bottle is a good amount for me, I think the whole bottle would start to wear on me after awhile. I think this would be a good beer to enjoy in the fall time. What I like the most about this beer was the smoke aspect, it worked well with this beer and it wasn't overpowering. What I like the least about this beer was the sweetness and alcohol, they were both a little too high and I felt like they both held this beer back. I don't think I would buy this beer again, it's priced nicely, but I just don't feel the need revisit it again. I can't say I would recommend this beer. Overall I wasn't too impressed with this beer, I did like the smoke aspect, but the imperial Saison base wasn't as good as I thought it might be and left me wanting more flavor and less sweetness and alcohol. It's not my favorite Stone beer and it's for sure my not my favorite Saison and when it comes to imperial Saisons I would rather have Brewery Vivant Zaison instead. Better luck next time guys, this one just wasn't for me.

04-18-2014 03:44:03 | More by StoutHunter
51mmz0rz

3.78/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a Sam Smith pint glass.

A: Medium amber body, perfectly clear mousey white head.

S: Slightly smoky, mostly a balanced belgian yeast and noble hop characteristic.

T: Like a noble hopped saison with a touch of smoke. Some residual sweetness. Strange aftertaste.

M: A little strange, maybe too much body when I'm expecting something crisper.

O: Pushing some style boundries here. Good beer, but they didn't all work for me.

04-18-2014 00:05:30 | More by 51mmz0rz
DRTBrewster

Arizona

04-17-2014 22:42:44 | More by DRTBrewster
Matt's Burning Rosids from Stone Brewing Co.