Matt's Burning Rosids - Stone Brewing Co.

Matt's Burning RosidsMatt's Burning Rosids

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  10.50% ABV

(Beer added by: DerrickW on 01-03-2014)
Reviews by JerzDevl2000:
4.11/5  rDev +9.6%

Picked this up recently at the new Bottle King on the Livingston Circle, having never had this beer before. I thought the story behind it was quite touching and even though I wondered how well Stone would brew a Saison/Farmhouse Ale, I was really impressed by this offering. While not like those from Europe that are more spicy, bubbly, and lighter in hue, there was a lot to like here and this quickly grew on me after making the adjustment to a brew unlike any other I've had before.

Nice amber hue to this with not a lot of head or lacing to be seen as I worked my way through this. Not a strong aroma to this but the cherry juice and smoke were present in the nose, with the latter becoming very pronounced in the taste. No sourness here, the but the mouthfeel reminded me of the cherries. Lots of wood, a bit of peppery sausage, and a spot-on carbonation combined to make this so easygoing while the back saw the saltiness come out as this went down sip after sip. This reminded me of the LA-31 Boucanèe that I had last year and had this been categorized as a Smoked Beer, that wouldn't have bothered me at all. The sour funkiness and overflowing carbonation of European examples of this beer wasn't to be found here and there was just a bit more of a bready maltiness to give this a nice body.

While this was strong, I couldn't feel the alcohol and only a gentle warming came over me as I finished this off with a friend. I commented to him that after nearly 800 beers reviewed on here, that I had never had anything quite like this and that it was a joy to come across something new after all of these years, that made me realize what beer was capable of and could be when the boundaries were pushed out. Obviously, I didn't know Matt but I'm really glad that his vision became a reality. Anyone who appreciates good beers owes it to his/her self and Matt's memory to buy a bottle of this and raise some of its contents to his legacy.

4.06/5  rDev +8.3%

A cool story on the bottle,pours into a large tulip glass a clear medium golden with a amber tinge,man I love the color and the thick creamy shite head.After a few good swirls I pick up some overipe juicy citrus fruits along with some medicinal and spiced yeast notes.Yeasty and mildly phenolic with some clove spice standing out upfront on the palate,the some comes thru providing some meatiness and rich fruitiness,viney hops linger in the finish.This is a pretty complex and damn fine beer,RIP Matt.

Bottled 1/3/14.
In a snifter the beer was a perfectly clear gold color with just a tiny white head.

Aroma was smoky, fruity, and spicy. A little alcohol was noticeable.

Cherries in the taste. Smoke. A little peppery. A little funky. Still some alcohol.

Things combined well in this beer. Very pleasant.

A nice tribute.

3.76/5  rDev +0.3%

3.85/5  rDev +2.7%

3.94/5  rDev +5.1%

Bomber bottle, bottled 12-20-13.

Pours pretty clear, orangy amber, off white moderate cap, leaves a tiny bubble sheen, thin collar and fine scattered lacing.

On the nose I'm getting some citrus, lite smoke, and some alcohol burn.

Full flavor, robust, complex,brash n bold. Not for newbies or the faint hearted. More lime and pineapple all over the palate. I get most of the smoke in the finish, buts its pretty faint. Mostly its more and more heavy citric fruit, phenols and a sort of burnt band aids under note.

A lot going on and I like it

3.69/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: low carbonation, minimal head, clear, caramel in color

Smell: cedar, hay, and pepper

Taste: apple, lemon, tangerine, hay, light cedar and smoke towards the end

Mouthfeel: sweet and funky, light body, moderate carbonation

Overall: Very clean, complex, and fruity tasting. A nice sipper. I wish the cherry wood smoke was a bit more prominent, but this is still very tasty. I would get this again.

3.75/5  rDev 0%

Matt's Burning Rosids from Stone Brewing Co.