Matt's Burning Rosids - Stone Brewing Co.

Matt's Burning RosidsMatt's Burning Rosids

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  10.50% ABV

(Beer added by: DerrickW on 01-03-2014)
Reviews by StoutHunter:
StoutHunter

3.3/5  rDev -12.2%

I picked up a bottle of Stone's Matt's Burning Rosids last month for $6.99 at The Lager Mill. This one seems like a pretty interesting beer and I don't think I've ever had a smoked Saison before and I'm interested to see how it turns out, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a Belgian tulip.

A- The bottle looks pretty nice, I think the look of the bottle goes well with the name. It poured a yellow orange color that took on a darker golden and orange color when held to the light with three fingers worth of creamy white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the smoke being the first to show up and it's almost on the border of being medium smokey and it's followed by some sweet malt aroma. Up next comes the Belgian yeast with some citrus rind and banana like aromas coming through. Towards the end comes a little more fruity aromas with some green apple coming through and there's a little bit of spicy and earthy hop aromas. This beer has a decent aroma, I like the smokey aspect, but the Saison aromas were a little dull and sweet.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the sweet malts being the first to show up and their followed by that Belgian yeast that imparts the same aspects that it did in the aroma with citrus rinds showing up the most this time and the banana shows up a little in the background along with a slight green apple flavor. Up next comes the same amount of smoke that I got in the aroma with a slightly boozy flavor that's a little warming and it's followed by the hops that impart a spicy flavor and a slightly higher amount of medium bitterness with a sweet fruity, lightly smokey and Belgian yeast like aftertaste. This was a decent tasting beer, but I thought the sweetness and the alcohol showed up a little more then they needed to.

M- Not the smoothest, a little boozy, a little cloying, a little sticky, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was decent, but it was a little too thick and sticky for me.

Overall I thought this was decent beer and a decent example of a Saison and a pretty unique example of the style, but it's not really how I prefer my Saisons, they call it a Imperial Saison and I would say that's what I would call it too, it reminds me a little of Brewery Vivant Zaison with the higher sweetness and noticeable alcohol. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it wasn't too smooth, it was a little thick, a little boozy, little cloying, a little filling and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, I think half the bottle is a good amount for me, I think the whole bottle would start to wear on me after awhile. I think this would be a good beer to enjoy in the fall time. What I like the most about this beer was the smoke aspect, it worked well with this beer and it wasn't overpowering. What I like the least about this beer was the sweetness and alcohol, they were both a little too high and I felt like they both held this beer back. I don't think I would buy this beer again, it's priced nicely, but I just don't feel the need revisit it again. I can't say I would recommend this beer. Overall I wasn't too impressed with this beer, I did like the smoke aspect, but the imperial Saison base wasn't as good as I thought it might be and left me wanting more flavor and less sweetness and alcohol. It's not my favorite Stone beer and it's for sure my not my favorite Saison and when it comes to imperial Saisons I would rather have Brewery Vivant Zaison instead. Better luck next time guys, this one just wasn't for me.

04-18-2014 03:44:03 | More by StoutHunter
oberon

4.06/5  rDev +8%

A cool story on the bottle,pours into a large tulip glass a clear medium golden with a amber tinge,man I love the color and the thick creamy shite head.After a few good swirls I pick up some overipe juicy citrus fruits along with some medicinal and spiced yeast notes.Yeasty and mildly phenolic with some clove spice standing out upfront on the palate,the some comes thru providing some meatiness and rich fruitiness,viney hops linger in the finish.This is a pretty complex and damn fine beer,RIP Matt.

02-08-2014 00:27:59 | More by oberon

02-04-2014 02:20:42 | More by sabitu
lordofthewiens

Maine

Bottled 1/3/14.
In a snifter the beer was a perfectly clear gold color with just a tiny white head.

Aroma was smoky, fruity, and spicy. A little alcohol was noticeable.

Cherries in the taste. Smoke. A little peppery. A little funky. Still some alcohol.

Things combined well in this beer. Very pleasant.

A nice tribute.

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

02-24-2014 20:56:48 | More by Beerswag
Billolick

3.94/5  rDev +4.8%

Bomber bottle, bottled 12-20-13.

Pours pretty clear, orangy amber, off white moderate cap, leaves a tiny bubble sheen, thin collar and fine scattered lacing.

On the nose I'm getting some citrus, lite smoke, and some alcohol burn.

Full flavor, robust, complex,brash n bold. Not for newbies or the faint hearted. More lime and pineapple all over the palate. I get most of the smoke in the finish, buts its pretty faint. Mostly its more and more heavy citric fruit, phenols and a sort of burnt band aids under note.

A lot going on and I like it

02-19-2014 04:35:05 | More by Billolick
mctizzz

02-12-2014 14:18:53 | More by mctizzz
tigg924

3.69/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance: low carbonation, minimal head, clear, caramel in color

Smell: cedar, hay, and pepper

Taste: apple, lemon, tangerine, hay, light cedar and smoke towards the end

Mouthfeel: sweet and funky, light body, moderate carbonation

Overall: Very clean, complex, and fruity tasting. A nice sipper. I wish the cherry wood smoke was a bit more prominent, but this is still very tasty. I would get this again.

03-05-2014 17:26:41 | More by tigg924

Alabama

06-06-2014 18:55:25 | More by mrw1zard
xdefeatsy

02-12-2014 00:47:15 | More by xdefeatsy
Matt's Burning Rosids from Stone Brewing Co.