Matt's Burning Rosids - Stone Brewing Co.

Matt's Burning RosidsMatt's Burning Rosids

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: DerrickW on 01-03-2014

Reviews: 209 | Hads: 1,252

This beer was amazing, and more than worth the $7 or so paid for it. 22oz bottle poured in a Belgian tulip glass in two parts. Nice, full, white head on a perfectly orange-tinted golden brew with reasonable carbonation at the 55 degrees or so at which it is supposed to be served. Strong nose typical of, even epitomizing, Belgian Saisons. Enticing. Rich notes of cherry and lemongrass balanced with hops to make a strong, flavorful brew. Clearly 10+ percent, although no alcohol burn distracts from the taste. Nice story behind the brew, too. Overall, an incredible paragon of saisons for the lover of saisons. I know I sound like a Stone representative right now, but I just really love this beer. It will undoubtedly be a repeat buy.

A- hazy deep gold color, small ring of head. No lacing.

S- peaty pale malt. Warm cherries. Almost a cherry pie smell with a bit of Belgian funk.

T- smooth, smokey, sweet, smooth sweet cherry pale flavors with a smokiness lingering and showing up on the back end. A bit of a floral hop in the background.

M- heavy, smooth, satisfying.

O- every part of this beer is prestigious. Lots of variables all working perfectly to make this a truely pleasurable experience. The best saison I have ever had.

4.6/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'm starting to grow on Saisons. This would he great for a family gathering or holiday dinner. I could drink this anytime of the year. Rich smell and beautiful color.

4.58/5  rDev +20.2%

A - poured a brilliantly clear pale color with orange accents. Three quarter finger loose large bubbled head dissipated quickly. Not much for lacing, which is a surprise for stone I always find their brews provide bountiful lacing.

S - aroma of fruity Belgian esque yeast esthers, citrus, peppery. Slight sourness.

T - taste is very complex, not overpowering in any sense but there is a lot going on. There's a nice biscuity malt flavor that is quickly swept up by mouth filling fruity yeast bouquet that lingers through the finish that ends In a quenching bitter. Smoked notes in the finish as well, the smokiness completes this brew. The whole experience lingers on the pallet for a while, makes me want more.

M - thick n syrupy, low carbonation for a Saison, but that's ok. This thing is smoothe and just damn good, the 10.5% is no where apparent. Would peg this at 7% tops if I haven't of read the bottle. Well done.

O - it is sad that they had to make this beer, I enjoyed it in partial silence as I sat in front of my fireplace. That being said, I do hope they make similar Saisons in the future. Or at least in the vein of this one. Maybe this is out of bounds, and not a good example sure... a little too hoppy and a little too much alcohol. But pioneer on stone, keep coming up with this stuff...it's delicous.

4.57/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

poured into a large Tulip.

A: A lovely golden hue with a nice white head.

S. All of the aroma that you would expect from a good Saison, but bigger. The smoke and cherry wood aroma come out along with a nice sweet maltyness.

T: The yeast is quite dominant in this one, funky! The smoke and cherry wood come through with a nice malt sweetness.

M: What more would you want?

O: Saison purest"s beware! You might actually like this.

4.55/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

22oz. bottle poured into a belgian ale glass

A- a lovely goldenrod with heavy orange hues. A big off white head sits on top. Nice lacing.

S- Big, sweet yeasty notes of clove, banana, white pepper. I do BBQ, so I immediately can pickup the cherry wood, and wowsers, I could just sit and smell this....

T- Simply put, fantstic. A big bready malt note is met with a nice belgian yeast note that is more clove than banana. Fruity esters abound. The light smoke of the cherry wood adds ample complexity, and on the backend, a very nice bitterness balances what is otherwise a mostly sweet experience. Incredibly well crafted.

M- Medium bodied, more syrupy than a normal saison. The carbonation isn't over the top (Saison Dupont, I'm looking at you....)

O- A fantastic take on a newer style. More please....

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Edit: Second bottle is so different, way more funk

Pours an effervescent gold/honey with a thumb of pearl white head. Very good lacing & average head retention

S: Pears, a touch of dirt/funk & a little bit of booze

T: Follows the nose, plus pineapple & passion fruit up front, breadyness & just a whisper of booze. More breadyness, tropical fruits & pears, with slightly stronger booze presence, pink grapefruit shows up in force as this warms. Finishes dry with a flourish tropical fruit hoppyness, pears, woody hops & dryness

MF: Medium bodied with spot-on carbonation, nicely balanced

Super drinkability, this one exceeded my expectations. I would buy this by the 4 pack if available. Compares favorably with Tank 7 in many ways. Best new Stone beer I've had in years

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

Such a beautiful beer as the lasting legacy of a true Brew Mister. Extremely light and refreshing. I am not much of a light colored beer drinker, but on the advice of some local pros, I decided to give it a whirl and was not disappointed. Not one part of this beer is overwhelming... including the "smoke." There is a perfect balance between malt and hops to keep the palate clean though out every sip and the bottle. Even at 10.5 ABV... there is no "alcohol" taste to it AT ALL! The only downside is that this will be the last of its kind...

4.46/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I really enjoyed this brew. A beautiful saison aroma followed up by an equally beautiful taste. Classic taste with a sweet smoky background. Highly recommended. The taste had a green banana, clove, lemony charactor with the smoky background. The smoke is a background flavor not the main player. It was very nice to look at. It is a beer I will revisit. Rest in Peace Matt, this beer does your memory honor.

4.45/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Initially pours a gorgeous orange with an attractive white head, though don't turn away as the head fades quickly. The nose is a carnival of honey, oranges, apricot syrup. The palate is luxurious and warming fading to the ever lightest sour note. Off the beaten path. A nice brew.

4.4/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

picked up today from a local bottle shop. poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

A - dark golden with a mild light brown hue. 2.5cm light beige head that mostly dissipates rather quickly. crystal clear.

S - Belgian yeast for sure. nice damp hay. mild floral hoops underneath it. a well balanced aroma profile. a mild smokiness here that just teases the package. others that have noted a fruitiness to the aroma aren't wrong. it's not that strong and hard to pinpoint exactly what it is, but it's like the pits of cherries more than anything.

T - wow. stone fruits, apple (not green apple, more like a Fuji or gala apple). these are from the yeast and the cherrywood smoked malts I think. I would consider a blend of years on this one (wlp530 and a saison yeast). the smokiness is more pronounced here, but not overdone at all. beautifully balanced.

M - this is a bit less carbonated and fuller bodied than I would have expected. usually Saskatoon's are fermented pretty dry and carbed higher than this. I'll give some least for the imperialization of this beer though.

O - this is one of the most unique beers I've had for quite some time. wonderfully balanced and it pushes you to challenge your preconceptions on what beer can be by tweaking styles and blending styles. not sure if I will get another bottle, but I will definitely tell everyone to try it.

thank you sooner for making Matt's beer

4.38/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Just picked this up from Trader Joe's. I was familiar with the tragic backstory and had been wanting to try this since I first heard about it. I love saisons and I'm just starting to try more smoked beers. Here we go!

APPEARANCE: Golden dark amber, capped with about 3mm of white head.

AROMA: The traditional saison aromas break through - pepper, earth, yeast, bread - then the cherrywood smoked malt really pops out. But it's not like someone dumped a rauchbier into a saison. It's a smokey, rubbery scent (kind of like new tires). I think the fine balance here has been struck. At the end of it all is some floral/citrus zest.

TASTE: The aroma follows through almost perfectly, though. The saison elements shine - pepper, earth, yeast, bread - and then, the cherrywood smoked malt pops through, bringing a subtle sweet smokiness. I also get reminiscent of a dish my girlfriend made once - liquid smoke, pecans, and sweet potatoes, drizzled in maple syrup.

MOUTHFEEL: Well carbonated, medium body that lightly coats the mouth. The alcohol in this one is fairly well hidden.

FINISH: Minimal alcohol presence near the back of the throat. Low-key, but lingering sweetness that lasts for a good 30 seconds.

OVERALL: If I wanted a saison, I would not reach for this beer. While it exhibits elements of traditional saisons, it's too strong and the cherrywood smoked malt adds a unique set of flavors. That being said, I think this is a fantastic beer, and great for cold (disclosure: I'm in San Diego and it's 61F right now at 10PM) nights. Where I would definitely recommend this beer is for a) people who want to get into smoked beers, and b) people who like rauchbiers.

I will gladly buy this again.

RIP Matt Courtright! I didn't know you, but I wish you were still around to make more beers like this.

4.37/5  rDev +14.7%

The color of the beer was golden amber, and the body looked extremely clear. The carbonation was medium, and the head was quite small, measuring at less than one finger. The aroma of the beer was full of farmhouse funk, with dandelions, juniper, hay, horse blanket, and cherry smells. I did not get much of a smoked malt smell. The taste was similar the smell, with the brett enhanced funk being detected right away, followed by some cherry, smoke, and finally tangerine, and a chipotle pepper finish. The alcohol was quite evident, as there was a warm sensation immediately upon starting the drinking. The mouthfeel was very light, and the beer left a smoky aftertaste. Not sure why the ratings of this beer are a little low here, as I thought it was quite nice. Not as smooth as the great Saisons, but pretty much true to style, except the alcoholic strength, which probably exceeded the typical one.

4.35/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Strangely captivating melange of smoke , cherry, saison yeast, and fruity esters.

Sweetish and fascinating. Well done. It does age well, and I'm on fourth bottle in 2 years. I reckon the palate is close to JW Lees English Barleywine.

RIP Matt Courtright.

4.34/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22 ounce bottle, bottling date is smudged but I can tell it says it was bottled sometime in December 2013. Served in a tulip, the beer pours a very clear dark golden/orange color with about an inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both good. Aroma is nice, the brew smells like sweet and peppery spice, bready malt, smoked malt, cherries, and some pear. Taste is similar to the aroma, it tastes like smoked malt, peppery spice, bready/grainy malt, slightly tart cherries, pears, apples, and some earthy/floralness. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's slick and a bit sticky with moderate carbonation. The 10.5% ABV is very well hidden for a beer this strength. I wasn't sure about a smoked saison at first, but this is a well crafted beer. I really hope this isn't a one time brew, Stone might want to consider honoring Matt even more by making this again sometime in the future. Definitely worth trying, I know I'd like to buy more of this! $7.99 a bomber.

4.33/5  rDev +13.6%

This is one rich beer! It's like the "stout" of saisons! There is a lot going here! the aroma is strong with yeast and clove, typical saison, not much smoke to speak of. taste is like nothing I've ever experienced before.... initially like a really solid saison, then the smokiness slaps you in face! The smoked malts in this beer are not overwhelming (we'll maybe at first) but they subside like the hoppy bitterness of a really good ipa! then there is a subtle sweetness that is pleasant in the aftertaste that is unlike anything I've had either. this is a very rich, unique, complex, beer, didn't think I was going to be able to finish it on my own, but I did! (took me 2 & 1/2 hours) great beer for those looking for something different!

4.28/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I love this dont go in expecting your typical saison this has an upfront sweetness that pairs with the spiciness and a slight smokiness a little boozy but I had it on draft.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Reviewed from notes. L: It pours a brilliant orange tinted amber under a 2” foam cap with very fine soft bubbles. S: This has a saison nose along with some wheat. T: This has a saison nose along with some wheat. It is very smooth and creamy – the attack starts with malt and then smoke and then fruit then a long smokey burst before the long aftertaste composed of smoke and a suggestion of cherry in the background that rises up in the finish. Very faint banana, some bubble gum on the palate. Big alcohol. F: It is very smooth and creamy. Above medium body, medium to a little less on the carbonation for a saison. O: An interesting, unusual, and very drinkable saison.

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

Picked up a 22 oz. bomber of Stone's tribute beer, Matt's Burning Rosids. The beer was conceptualized by Matt Courtright, one of Stone's brewers, who was killed in a brewing accident in 2013. It's really cool to see Stone release a beer to honor the memory of a fallen member of their family. A great gesture by a classy organization. Poured into my Firestone Walker Proprietor's Reserve tulip.

Appearance (4/5): Pours clear, golden/honey-brown, and has a small white head, which reduces to a ring that sticks around for the entire drink. Plenty of alcohol legs on the sides of the glass as you tilt it. Looks really nice in the glass, though it would be nice to see a bit more head, though that may be too much to ask from a non-bottle conditioned, 10.5% ABV saison.

Smell (4/5): Lemon, grapefruit, faint sweet alcohol, and a little cherrywood smokiness. Some clove, wheat-like, and peppery aromas work themselves into the mix as well, undoubtedly a product of the traditional saison yeast used in this brew.

Taste (4.5/5): This beer is anything but traditional though. Right off the bat, I get huge cherrywood notes that ride on into the finish, most pronounced in the semi-dry aftertaste. The cherrywood flavor is not the kind of barbecue, liquid smoke-type smokiness that I associate with traditional German rauchbiers, though. The cherrywood adds a very nice woody sweetness to the beer; on further review, the flavor added by the smoked cherrywood would better described as woody, not smokey. Also unusual are the notes of dark stone fruits that I'm getting from the beer, though I'm not certain what is the cause–the cherrywood, the malts, sweet alcohol, or yeast. This beer does not lack for complexity, and I pick up wheat, lemon, lemongrass, pepper and clove as I drink. The beer opens nicely, as many saisons do, as it warms, and paired great with dinner.

Mouthfeel (4/5): Matt's Burning Rosids is surprisingly drinkable. It's clean and smooth, and does not feel by any means as heavy as 10.5%–but you know it’s a bigger than average beer because of the full-flavor and slightly-thicker-than-medium body. Carbonation on this beer isn't exactly where I would like it–it could be a little more vigorous (too bad Stone didn't bottle-condition the beer)–hence only a 4 out of 5. That's still very good though.

Overall (4.25/5): This beer is very, very well-crafted and really represents well the creativity of the man who brewed it. Well worth the 10+ dollars I paid for it. Check it out.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look: Nice golden color with a good white head that leaves good lacing

Smell: Traditional saison yeast aroma

Taste: More traditional saison yeast flavors, along with some nice cherrywood smoke, not overpowering, enough to compliment the flavors. Finishes dry

Feel: Medium body, full carbonation

Overall: Very good, didn't intentionally age it, but it seems like based on other reviews the age served it well. It is far better than the regular Stone saison.

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

First off, I love saisons. The style allows for a wide range of flavors and alcohol content. I would still call this an Imperial Saison if that actually existed. It has the peppery finish, the sweaty horse blanket flavor I expect, but on a intensified level. If you review this beer poorly, I am betting you don't like saisons as a style. If you like them, go for it, I think it is pretty awesome. I couldn't drink it all day, it is 10.5% after all.

4.24/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a bright and fairly clear golden orange with a moderate amount of bubbles. About one finger of off white head that quickly fades. Leaves a decent amount of lacing.

Smell: A yeasty and fruity Belgian style aroma with good hints of fruit and smoked malt. Upfront Belgian yeast with hints of farmhouse funk, clove, and black pepper. Big scent of the cherrywood smoked malt. Fruit hints of apple, pear, and banana along with a little orange and lemon zest. Sweet scent of candied sugar. Pale malt with hints of biscuit, grains, straw, and cracker. Hop presence is pretty mild. A pretty nice aroma.

Taste: Like the aroma hints at, a yeasty, fruity, and fairly sweet Belgian style taste with good notes of fruit and smoked malt. Belgian yeast with some good notes of clove, black pepper, and farmhouse funk. Good taste of the cherrywood smoked malt that is quite noticeable but not overwhelming. Fruit notes of green apple, pear, banana, lemon, and slight orange peel. Sweet notes of candied sugar. Malt notes of grains, straw, biscuit, and cracker. Subtle background hops. A really nice and unique taste. The smoke blends in well.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a medium to high level of carbonation. Juicy and fairly slick. Somewhat hot from the alcohol and smoke but its still pretty smooth considering.

Overall: A pretty good and interesting twist on the Saison style. The smoke is noticeable but blends in well with the yeast and fruit flavors.

Cheers to Matt.

4.24/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Dang….. didn't realize this thing was 10.5% before I bought it.

Served in a Schlafly tulip.

A: Damn near crystal clear, bright orange color, with a tinge of darkness thrown in. Icky, sticky head on top of this as well.

S: Definitely got the cherries. This reminded me of Troegs Mad Elf in more ways than one. Damn near spitting image on the nose: Belgian strain, fruit, etc.

T: Okay, now the departure from Troegs' holiday offering comes. Definitely a good deal of wood smoke here. I would have tagged this as Belgian Strong vs. a saison, but hell, I guess they're kinda the same. The wood dominates this one, as it should. That's right, no real chamomile, coriander, or anything of that sort present, just good old fashioned Belgian yeast, some smoked wood, and a good bit of floral notes.

M: Just the right amount of sweetness and infinitely enjoyable in that regard. Lots of lacing left on the glass, and very comfortable on the palate.

O: Very memorable, unique, and a fitting tribute to a beloved member of the Stone Brewing team. RIP: Matt Courtright. :(

4.23/5  rDev +11%

Poured from bottle into a chalice glass

Appearance – The pours a clear amber color with a tint of red and with a one finger head of white color. Tons of tiny champagne like bubbles are seen streaming up through the body of the beer. The head has a good level of retention, slowly fading to leave a moderate level of lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma of the beer is quite massive of a yeasty and bready smell with lots of spice of coriander and clove. Along with these aromas are smells of cherry and a bit of apple. A rather nice smoke aroma with some oak is there as well mixing with the rest of the smells to give an interesting and very pleasant aroma.

Taste – The taste begins a wheat bread flavor mixed with lots of cherry, apple, and pear. Quickly a yeasty taste joins the flavor profile, with it bringing a bit of clove and coriander along for the ride. As the taste advances further, some of the sweeter fruit flavors intensify with the wheat taking on a smoother nature. A bit of tartness and grassiness work their way on to the tongue along with a smoke and oak barrel flavor hitting the tongue more toward the middle of the taste. The tart, oak, and smoke all begin lighter, but get quite a bit stronger at the end, with just a tiny hint of alcohol booziness coming to the taste as well, to leave one with a nice bready and sweeter, smoky and oaky flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is on the slightly thicker and creamier side with a carbonation level that is on the higher side. The carbonation is great for the sweeter fruit and tart flavors of the brew all the while the slightly thicker body really accentuates the bready, smoke, and oak flavors of the beer. Quite nice.

Overall – This was a very interesting brew with a great saison flavor mixed with a good dose of cherry, smoke and oak. A different but very enjoyable brew.

4.21/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: clear peach. A little off white head that dissipates to some wispy swirls.
Smell: smoky and tart. Rich and pungent.
Taste: much like the nose. That is, smoky, tart and damn tasty.
Overall: nicely done guys. Nice tribute and a fine beer. This one is tasty, better than I expected.

Matt's Burning Rosids from Stone Brewing Co.