Matt's Burning Rosids - Stone Brewing Co.

Matt's Burning RosidsMatt's Burning Rosids

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: DerrickW on 01-03-2014

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Matt's Burning Rosids Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,237 | Reviews: 212
3.53/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy orange amber color with a small cap of white foam.

Smells of fruity and smoky notes.

Tastes of the sweet and tart fruits layered with smoke. Fruits lead off with apple and pear along with some white grape with a little tartness. A touch of grainy sweetness comes through to support the fruit. Smoke comes next and adds some depth, although I can't say I like the combination too much. Finishes a little spicy and brings it back to the typical saison feel.

Mouthfeel is medium with a slightly assertive amount of carbonation.

Overall, I only kind of like this. I think Stone hit the profile they were looking for, but it isn't a great combination of flavors.

3.98/5  rDev +5.9%

Got a 22 oz.

Pours into a large wine glass and got minimal lasting head but nice lacing. Very bright gold with bubbling

Nose is not strong but can detect some bananas, Belgian hops and spices.

Taste is unique. Apricots and oranges, malt, tropical fruits, spice, honey and a hop aftertaste. At first I thought it was a Belgian hop but not so sure because I don't get much lemon.

Mouth feel is mildly carbonated. Alcohol is present due to the 10.5%.

I find this an interesting and somewhat intense beer. One of a kind and probably made once?

4.08/5  rDev +8.5%

Usually don't drink saisons so maybe this will change my mind.

Pours a deep clear orange with a finger of head.

Smells very Belgian with strong yeast notes. Very similar smell to a tripel.

Again tastes a lot like a tripel, a little bit lighter however. A hint of a boozey burn but at 10.5 that's expected. Some light fruits present there too. Aftertaste is very complex. I get salted meats and cheeses somehow, very different from the regular flavor.

Medium carbonation, good lingering aftertaste that leaves an impression.

I was impressed with this one. I think I will start looking for saisons more often now.

3.86/5  rDev +2.7%

Heard good things about it, dig Stone's stuff, and respect the inspiration behind it, so thought I'd give it a shot.

Crisp and clear, first off. Golden yellow/amber, the way beer looks in the movies. Big frothy white head, good retention and lacing.

The smell presents primarily with traditional saison and belgian notes. Grains and banana-y esters jump out in the beginning, though there's an additional sweetness beyond the yeast and banana, which I assume to be the cherry wood. Faint ashy smoke that comes out more if you swirl it a couple of times. Smells like a fire at that point, or rather the ashes and coals from a fire. Strikes me as more ash than smoke.

Round smoke certainly sits in the forefront, with that woody sweetness to it as well. Less granular than I was expecting, which is a bonus to me. About halfway through it becomes punishingly bitter: orange peel and pith, primarily. This bitterness remains present through the finish, but is tempered by the honey sweetness, esters and some spice. Woah, this is over 10%?? Definitely doesn't come across that big. I would have guessed closer to the 6-7% range.

I was expecting this to be a decent brew, but I find myself enjoying it more than I anticipated. It is certainly unique, and I don't have mounds of experience with smoked beers and tend not to get too excited about saisons, but this is one I'd certainly drink again.

3.96/5  rDev +5.3%

poured from a big boy into a teku. mostly clear orange in color with a foamy white one finger head. looks nice.

smells like raw plantains or even plantain chips. smells like brett the hitman heart yeast with a spicey breadiness.

taste follows the nose for the most part. big battle between sweet and smokey here. the smoke was abrasive to me at first, but i like it. then again, i'm not very experienced with smoked beers.

mouthfeel has nice medium carbonation with just the right touch of malt to make this feel very easy drinking.

i found this too be quite a tasty beer. imperial saison...who knew?

2.95/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

A rare miss from the folks at Stone...at least for me...

Love the idea of this but the execution didn't hit the mark... the smokiness works in the aromas but it shifts this seriously in the taste dept and I didn't get it... the smoke battles with the funkiness of the base beer and muddles everything together...

I wanted to like this beer as its everywhere around here right now... but I wont be getting this one again.... I don't see how age will affect this to the positive at all...

3.69/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a very bright and transparent orange, very thin white lacing lingers. Smell is very typical, cloves, banana, yeast, with a touch of smoke. Taste follows pretty close with the wood and smoke being a little more apparent on the aftertaste. Grate range of flavor all the way from start to finish. Fruits and florals up front, some grass and bread in the middle. Feel is medium bodied, smooth with low carbonation.

Overall, a great saison, fairly true to form with a great flavor profile and the added bonus of some smoked uniqueness.

3.71/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours a bright, clear sunset orange with a white, near 2 finger head. Fair retention leads to a thin, broken layer of suds across the surface. Spotty lacing with little stick.

Smell - Funk and citrus notes hit first. Green banana. Light smokiness that increases as the beer warms. Also, a bit of Vick's Chloraseptic throat spray.

Taste - Highly phenolic, giving the brew a very 'chloraseptic throat spray' character to go along with a moderate smoked wood flavor. Hints of banana. Mild spice. Citrus hops come through in the finish ,though the 'chloraseptic spray' quality lingers well into the aftertaste, and is even slightly numbing. An odd, but original and, dare I say, likeable flavor.

Mouthfeel - Medium to full in body with lightly tingly carbonation. Very smooth for the size; I'd never guess this as a 10.5% beer.

Overall - Maybe I've just got odd or sensitive tastebuds, but this screams Chloraseptic spray to me. Hard to believe this is a 10.5% beer; drinks closer to 7 or 8%. In all, I'd say I like it, in small doses, but 22 ounces are just too much for a beer this strong and strange. I will say it's cool what Stone did here in producing this man's own beer recipe and dedicating it to his memory and letting us all get a chance to try it.

3.43/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

This is quite a sweet “saison” with very minimal smoked tones to it. Please note that I wrote it as “saison” because it really isn’t. This is much more a Belgian ale. If it were noted as such, I’d be rating a bit higher. As it is, the smoked tones are really accents at best, and barely that. Thick sweet character overall. A decent drinker, but not blowing me away. Good as a one and done.

3.83/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance- Pours up a pretty good amount of head which looks to have equally good retention. The head is almost pure cotton white but is slightly off-white while the body is a pale amber which glows in the light. Lacing looks to be considerable even at this stage. Lacing is almost completely sheeting excepting a few rings of lesser sheeting.

Nose- Very saison with bright green apples that have a slightly tart crispness to them. Some vinosity, maybe even a little white grape, then a slight smokiness from the cherrywood starts to appear. Recalls savory notes of barbecue, steak, and mashed potatoes even. (Do not be mistaken- I do not actually smell the last two, they only seem to be suggested.) The glass is much softer and shows light apple with some banana. Some hints of smoke. This beer is already interesting. Swirling shows a bit of orange and creaminess- like a muted creamsicle.

Taste- Starts off with a mix of orange, apple, and banana- apple being predominant, though the banana does build at the close of the front end. This moves into rounded cloves which seem to easily transition into the smokiness of the finish. Definite suggestions of barbecue on the finish and linger. Not your traditional saison but so far, I like what Stone has done with the style. While many of the saisons I enjoy are good to great, they do tend to be somewhat simplistic- this beer certainly cannot be accused of that. I also appreciate that the smoked qualities do not dominate the beer but rather wrap the beer up much as a dry finish might. It also makes the clove characteristics of this beer much more tolerable. Slight hints of cherry on the end. Maybe a little bit of burnt caramel that suggests popcorn. This is only real “off-flavor” that I can really pinpoint, if it is one at all. No real hint at the 10.5%. Seems to be between a good to really good beer at the moment but it is questionable how far this flavor profile can go. Twenty two ounces might be too much. The bitterness on the finish is becoming a bit much and is starting to push out some of the enjoyable smoke. Still good though. Some peach starts to come through on the middle.

Mouthfeel- Between light and medium bodied but seems a little heavier because of the smoke. Some syrup to the texture but the carbonation is somewhat light for a saison. This could certainly use more zip to complement the smoky notes. This is no way a negative.

Drinkability- Very drinkable for a 10.5% beer and quite interesting for a saison. This beer is definitely not boring and because of that it is also not very accessible. A bargain at 7 dollars (as always) but I'm not sure if I would purchase it again. If it had any “bugs” in it, I might purchase a bottle to cellar.

Overall- Good to really good but closer to good. Pretty solid but there are a few off-notes (not really flaws) that distract me a bit. Definitely worth a try as this is another interesting experiment from Stone. I know I will be picking up the next one.

3.89/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bomber in to some sort of snifter/goblet thing.

A- An aggressive pour reveals a luxurious white head of 3/4" with a crystal clear light orange body.

S- Belgian yeast spice, piney hops, and some smokey notes if you stick your nose right in.

T- Hmmm.. I'm not sure what I was expecting this to taste like, but I guess the label describes it perfectly: an amped-up smokey saison. I'm having a tough time deciding if it's sweet or not because of the smoke flavor. It's certainly something quite out of the ordinary. A little boozy, but not terribly strong and very peppery. Just so much going on!

M- Pretty light feel and warming alcohol at the end.

O- I'm not so sure this beer is my "cup of tea" so-to-speak, but I like trying various oddities. I suppose it's worth a try. That said, RIP Matt.

3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from a bomber into a Brewer's Art goblet. Moderate hand. Brewed on 12/20/13 according to the label.

A: Light copper with good clarity. 1 finger of slightly off-white head. Ok retention. Moderate lacing.

S: Belgian-type yeast with floral notes, light honey, spice, lemon, citric acid. Indistinct fruit. Pretty nice, although no smoke to speak of.

T: Round spice with light tartness initially. Yields to a moderate, slightly herbal, hop bitterness. Semi-dry to dry finish. There is a mild, lingering sourness throughout that is nice. Light alcohol for the ABV (10.5%). Light wood notes, but minimal smoke presence.

M: Moderate carbonation with moderate body. A touch light on the fizz for a saison, I'd say.

O: I enjoyed this beer. I was a bit let down with regards to the smoke; however, it had a nice saison nose and I definitely enjoyed the tartness. Drank easily for a 10.5%er. I'm curious how a bit of age might treat this one.

Prost!

2.57/5  rDev -31.6%

$6.99 for a 22oz bottle @ BevCo. 10.5%per the bottle. No ingredients or specs per the bottle or website.

Pours out to a slightly hazy orange, forming a voluminous peaking light yellow head with superior retention and lacing, owing to it's brisk carbonation, ~3.25 carbs or so. The nose has the spicy phenolics one would expect for a saison, although the smoke is quite subtle. Pineapple, pear and apricot esters with a little grass and moderate yeast character. Mouthfeel, even at this rate of carbonation is cloying, not quite attenuated enough with a dense, syrupy body. The taste is a recap of the nose, however the smoke is much more noticeable in flavor than in aroma. Hovering in there is a medium firm bitterness. Tart throughout, but more so in the really bad finish. Plenty of bitterness lingers into the aftertaste, which is also pretty bad. A little hot and a little harsh.

This is an interesting beer, but it's just not very palatable. I love rauchbiers and saisons, but this just doesn't work. The smoke, bitterness, phenolics and esters and the crummy mouthfeel just don't sit well together. Perhaps if this were a quality saison with 10% smoked malt, it would work.

3.9/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a pint glass. I know, I know, but I was at work and not headed home anytime soon!

A - A translucent golden earthy brown. Half finger frothyish head and a tad bit of sugar lacing

S - TONS of sugar, cherry, overly ripped banana, smoked cherry wood?, toasty/roasted malts, citrus zest, slight pine hop, very earthy, very slight booze note, biscuit like yeast, lots of green earth, some soil and more sugar

T - Soapy, lots of sugar, huge malt up front, very nice floral and pine hop notes, some citrus rinds, cherry, burnt wood and/or malts, Belgian yeast, reduced bananas, caramel, not much of a booze note for the abv and lots of all around living earth notes

M - Full bodied, wonderfully complex, very nice balance, medium-minus acidity and a long sweet, malty, slight hoppy finish

D/O - Very nice, refreshing and all around delicious. HUGE. Very filling. Nicely done for sure. The slight smoke and cherries really make this one nice. Not for novice drinkers, but it is worth a try. Grab a friend and give it a go.

Final thoughts - $6 a bottle and 10.5 abv. I am loving it. I want to send Stone my condolences and congratulations

4.07/5  rDev +8.2%

A cool story on the bottle,pours into a large tulip glass a clear medium golden with a amber tinge,man I love the color and the thick creamy shite head.After a few good swirls I pick up some overipe juicy citrus fruits along with some medicinal and spiced yeast notes.Yeasty and mildly phenolic with some clove spice standing out upfront on the palate,the some comes thru providing some meatiness and rich fruitiness,viney hops linger in the finish.This is a pretty complex and damn fine beer,RIP Matt.

3.88/5  rDev +3.2%

A: Pours from a bomber bottle a clear orange with a solid two-inch thick white head with good retention and yields sheet and splotchy lace.

N: Typical saison yeast, rustic, smoked malt is faint but present, slight orange citrus, herbal, hay/grassy and mild spices.

T: Yeasty up front, estery, subtle smoked malts, well balanced, mildly sweet, on warming the smoke becomes more dominant.

M: Moderate body and semi-full carbonation. Finishes dry, smokey and yeasty.

O: An interesting creation. Cheers Matt!

4.04/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 5

Got this on tap at a local bar. After watching Stone's video about Matt I could not pass it up. Prost!! I drink this to you Matt!

Appearance - Very golden in color, rich, a little tinge of red.

Smell - I am in a smoke filled bar, one of the things I can't accurately judge. I get a tarty sort of smell, can't pick up much more than that.

Taste - Very nice, though the Saison feel is fleeting. It starts like a Trippel with sort of that distinct citrus/coriander taste and then finishes with a nice cherrywood smokiness, not too strong, subtle, just right.

Mouthfeel - Not superheavy, pretty even on the carbonation.

Overall - A great beer, Prost Matt! I gave it a perfect in deference and respect to the love the Stone Brewery put into the beer in your memory.

Poured a redish amber. Small head of white bubbles. Little to no lace.

Smells of fruity esters, yeast, and a bit of smoke.

Sweeter flavor than expected. Bright fruitiness, and spicy notes. Lemon rind like bitterness, with a tart smokey finish.

Slightly biting carbonation. Bordering on cloying.

In some ways I felt like this Saison was leaning more toward the flavors of a Triple. That said, I really enjoyed it! The Cherrywood smoke was a nice compliment, and added to the flavor rather than taking over as smoke can sometimes do. Maybe a bit on the sweet side for a Saison, but in my humble opinion, a nice brew. Cheers Matt!

4.21/5  rDev +12%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: clear peach. A little off white head that dissipates to some wispy swirls.
Smell: smoky and tart. Rich and pungent.
Taste: much like the nose. That is, smoky, tart and damn tasty.
Overall: nicely done guys. Nice tribute and a fine beer. This one is tasty, better than I expected.

3.16/5  rDev -16%

A: golden amber
S: Peppery, earth, very nice saison spiciness and the faint aroma of smoked malt was excellent. Made me eager to taste.
T: Somewhat hot & boozy, not sweet, but not dry either, and with a fairly heavy feel, combined with the alcohol, which I think contributed to the sweet perception
M: Big, a little much for a saison, me thinks
O: Loved the aroma and what they were going for. I think a smoked saison will work yet, however this one seemed to lack follow through with the palate. Maybe going imperial isn't always the best decision.

3.29/5  rDev -12.5%

Appearance: Bubbly, large bubbles, bright yellow.

Smell: Peppery and spicy.

Taste: Odd. Odd. Odd. Smokey, sweet, not particularly balanced. Some fruit and heavy-handed finish. This is all over the place. Bluh.

Mouthfeel: Medium body.

Drinkability: Not my cup of Saison.

3.65/5  rDev -2.9%

Gorgeous golden orange glow with a tight bright white head. Lots of sweet saison notes on the nose, flowery, dried apricots and peaches, touches of smoke.

Medium bodied, bright belgian like crispness. Sweet pale malts, lightly toasted grains, some smoked savory flavors along the mid-palate, a little bit of woodiness, dried fruit flavors, apples, apricots, light touch of smoke throughout, with some alcohol heat and spicy yeast on the back end with a nice underlying to balance out the flavors. pairs well with chili. A little boozey on the back end but overall an unexpected blend of flavors that works pretty well.

3.78/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

22oz, 12/20/13
MBE snifter

A: Pours pretty clear bright orange color. Faint layer of bright white color. Forms a collar. Not any lacing.

S: Really get that sweet smoke. Touches of Belgian yeast. Dryness. Clean. Not funky like other saison mainly due to the smoke.

T: Impressively sharp smoke bite. Actually nice beer if the alcohol was a touch lower. Belgian yeast. Some fruit esters from that. Finish is very dry. Lingering smoke flavors.

M: Medium bodied.

Bottled 1/3/14.
In a snifter the beer was a perfectly clear gold color with just a tiny white head.

Aroma was smoky, fruity, and spicy. A little alcohol was noticeable.

Cherries in the taste. Smoke. A little peppery. A little funky. Still some alcohol.

Things combined well in this beer. Very pleasant.

A nice tribute.

3.63/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 22 oz bottle.

A:is almost bourbon like, minimal head with average lacing.

S: has a hint of wood and Saison spice. You can smell the high gravity.

T: is funky, smoky and woody. There is the bourbon again in the taste.

F: slightly heavy and effervescent.

Overall, an interesting beer certainly worth a try. Great tribute and interesting flavors abound. Tastes like a funky barn!

Matt's Burning Rosids from Stone Brewing Co.