Matt's Burning Rosids - Stone Brewing Co.

Matt's Burning RosidsMatt's Burning Rosids

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: DerrickW on 01-03-2014

Reviews: 205 | Hads: 1,241
3.01/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Served in an accidental half-litre glass (lol).

A: Hazy gold.

S: Sour and smoky. Lemons?

T/M: I don't really care for it. Way too weird. It's initially overpowering -- wood, smoke, meat, sweet-strong booze, artificial maraschino -- before quickly fading into a kinda sour-sticky bitterness than lingers. I hate to make the comparison, but...bile.

O: Not to my taste. After about a dozen sips, I pawned it off on a friend. NOT recommended. (442 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +6%

A - A bit more than a finger's worth of slightly late to develop crisp densely packed froth that is modestly off white in color... Average retention segues to a nice lopsided veil of lacing a slight but rich and creamy collar... The color is a vibrant orangish amber... Largely still with a limited few carbonation bubbles rising sporadically and randomly throughout...

S - The nose is vibrant and attention getting... A mix of orange and lemon candy to start... Next come some additional sweet candied sugars... There is a very subtle smokiness present that compliments the aforementioned sweetness tremendously... There is also a strong Belgian yeast component... Very unique... Very pleasing...

T - A kiss of sweetness to start... Candied sugars... Light sweet citrus notes... The Belgian yeast components are next... The cherry wood smoke starts to build slowly... The smokiness reminds me of Easter ham... There are some very subtle red wine tannin notes buried way beneath the surface... A very light medicinal presence on the very deep finish... Again very unique and very pleasing...

M - Medium bodied... Light to medium carbonation... A bit sticky... Even and well balanced... Finishes with a touch of dryness and turns slightly chalky on the distant finish...

D - A very well crafted brew that is unlike anything else that I have ever experienced... I did not Matt Courtright, but this beer lends the drinker to see the unique nature of the human being... It is as advertised - a Smoked Saison... A bit of a sipper, but quite enjoyable... (1,556 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -3.7%

This is my first review, so I'm going to do my best as far as explanation of what I experienced, as well as terminology.

Serving type-I poured this beer from a bottle into my Maui Brewing Company snifter.

Appearance-Right away I noticed the cloudiness of the beer. It had an almost orange-like tint to it. Looked like different juices mixed together. Golden brown orange.

Smell-Had a very strong smoke to it, I actually liked that. Not too overpowering, but was the focal point of the first whiff. Briefly smelled a smoked cherry, woody smell.

Taste-Taste was a lot like the smell. Could definitely taste the high alcohol content on this one. A lot like Stone's Saison they put out, just a lot more smoke.

Mouthfeel-Was surprised at first, almost a champagne like feel in the mouth and back of the throat. This didn't take away from the beer, if anything it added to the taste. Was a major aspect of the first taste of the beer.

Overall- I would definitely drink again if given the opportunity, however it is a once only release. Would recommend to a lover of smoky brews. Good, not great. (1,095 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Before I do my review I know everyone else had prob said it but after reading the back spiel Matt sounded like a top bloke so cheers to him and it pours a hazed golden hue with a fluffy three finger head and leggy boozy lacing all over the place looks the part,the smell is very unique you definately get the cherrywood along with coriander,barnhouse funk,almonds and peaches,the mouthfeel is full,moderately carbonated and a tad slick with tastes of lemon sherbet,smoked wood,sticky Redgum honey and finished with a mix of boozy heat and candy malts and overall not a bad drop that I had to try no matter what RIP Matt cheers. (627 characters)

3.83/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Bottle opened on 4.15.14
Bottled 12/20/13

A - Pours a cloudy, bright orange with a fine cream-colored head with good retention.

S -Smokey, saison yeast, fruity, spices.

T - Light smokey, yeast, fruity.

D - Decent carbonation with a medium body.

O - Lots of saison yeast and fruit, light smoke. (298 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +3.4%

Unusual Saison. The yeast and funk were there but the smokiness and cherrywood add a different dimension. Pours a clear copper color with an average size white head into a pint glass. Head retention is about average and there is some patchy lacing on the glass.

Aroma is pretty much what I would expect from a Saison. Belgian yeast and a little funky, musty barnyard thing going on as well.

Taste starts out verySaison like as well. The mild funk then is overtaken by a smoky aspect and the taste of the wood barrels. Most of the wood flavor I recognize is oak, Bourbon barrels also leave a signature flavor as well. There is slightly bitter woodiness presence but then there is a sweet spect that follows. Cherry wood must be fairly distinctive in flavor.

Mouthfeel is smooth. The smoke, funk and cherrywood are nicely blended. Not a Saison all the way but an interesting blend of Saison funkiness and some sweet woodiness.

A well crafted and tasty beer. (959 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%

A - 22oz bottle(12/31/13 bottle date) to Duvel tulip few cm head settled Beer is a nice orange

S - woody, cherries

T - smoke definitely is there up front and all the way through.fruity Sweetness then a bit of sour on the finish

M - silky smooth. Good carb, medium body

O - it was OK maybe a bit too much smoke for me. But still refreshing (346 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Light amber in color with a thin minimal white head covering about half of the top of the beer. Aroma of cherrywood and light malt is prevalent. The flavor is strong and you really get that cherrywood flavor. The aroma doesn't seem to give proper warning of the intensity of the flavor. The cherrywood dominates and grows throughout the fade. The mouth is fairly crisp and yet moderately carbonated. (399 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Sapsuckers in Huntington, NY. Pours a hazy gold color with a snow white 1 finger foamy head that faded slowly and left decent spotty lacing. Smells of yeast, floral notes, coriander, brown sugar, malt, grains, apple skin, grape and light citrus hops. Very interesting floral aroma like a rose pedal or honeysuckle plant mixed with fruity grains. Tastes more fruity and grainy with more complicated sweet bready notes; flavors include yeast, floral hops and/or dry flowers, lemon zest, coriander, pepper, brown sugar, sweet malt, toasted grains, apple skin, light citrus hops, light spices and a mild funk like a penny or metallic taste. Much mellower then I anticipated, but pretty well balanced and easy to drink, hiding the ABV well. Mouthfeel was average, with light carbonation, a medium body and a slightly funky finish that's on the clean side. A nice beer, and while I didn't get any of those smoky grainy notes I thought might come about from reading about this, I still found it enjoyable and quite tasty. Cheers to Stone and Matt, RIP Matt, it sounds like we lost a solid guy. (1,096 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

bottled December 2013, opened today

A - clear pale gold with plenty of spritzy bubbles leaving a thin but lacy head.
S - I smell Saison funk overlayed with smoky wood backed by subtle esters.
T - Saison'esque taste but shockingly contrasted with woody resins and smoky aftertastes. Starts sweet but quickly goes tart and finishes astringent. Wheat and spice flavors are intertwined withwood and smoke. A woody Saison mixed with a very mild Rauchbier.
M - medium body with good carbonation. The abv is low key but waiting for you.
O - an interesting twist on a Saison and definitely worth a try, just don't expect a typical Saison . (632 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

Bottled 1/14/14 and poured 5/27/14 into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint. I believe it was $6.99 for a bomber, which was a surprisingly low price, to me.

Appearance: Aggressive pour gave off about a finger of head that didn't last too long. The beer is golden in color with excellent clarity for the first half of the bottle, but floaters come into the fold when the end of the bottle winds up in the glass. Active carbonation coming from the bottom of the glass. Not much lacing to speak of.

Smell: That barnyard saison funk is there, which is nice. Then there's a banana and apple sauce sort of aroma, as well as that cherrywood. Smells exactly like you'd expect -- a saison with cherry and cherrywood aromas. Smoke? Maybe a little bit, but it's not nearly to the point of being overdone. Pretty much perfectly executed.

Taste/feel: First sip I wasn't sure what to think... then I sipped a few more times... I enjoy this beer because it's so different -- to me, anyway. Saison funkiness, cherry tartness and sweetness, a mild smoke character... it's actually a bit sour and I'm really liking that aspect about this beer. I could see why some would find this beer to be all over the place, but I'm liking that it is... it doesn't become a discombobulated mess to me like it seems to be to others. Nice banana, apple, malt flavor going on here. The finish is a biscuity with a somewhat peppery flavor on top of banana. This beer has about a medium body with a moderate carbonation so it's not something you couldn't exactly pound (which is a good thing, take a look at that ABV). I'm not picking up any of the alcohol anywhere in this beer, so it's hidden incredibly well.

The ABV for the price and the unique blend of flavors coming through this beer makes it one I'd love to have again if I wanted something unique. I'd personally prefer this be in 12oz bottles rather than bombers, but I can completely understand why they did it this way. I really like the taste of this beer. If I find another bottle, I'm going to cellar it. This is a great tribute from Stone, and I thank Matt for introducing this wonderfully unique beer to my taste buds. If you can pick up two, I'd recommend doing so.

Cheers Matt Courtright... this is a winner, and a brew I will never forget. (2,267 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The color resembles a good IPA with its matte copper orange color. It's certainly not a clear beer, but not necessarily cloudy or hazy either, just kind of a matte texture. The head is only a finger thick and mostly nondescript. Not much retention and no lacing. Every swirl brings it back to life, but it's a fairly run of the mill appearance.

I think I like the smell, but it's unusual and I reserve the right to change my mind. It's got an extremely heavy dose of what seems to be a spice of some sort. It could be the cherrywood-smoked malt, but it comes across as a chipotle pepper-like spice scent. There is a faint cherriness to it, as well as a alcoholic heat. The smell leads you to believe your throat and palate may not survive the nuclear attack that possibly is coming. All the while, a funky saison like scent is lurking.

It's a mish-mash of flavors. The wood-smoked malt provides many different flavors masquerading as many other different flavors. Only the faintest hint of cherry is present. You can pick up the roasted malt, as well as the peppery yeast. It's an unsual flavor combination to say the least.

Like many saisons can be, the mouthfeel is strange. Kind of funky with lots of spice. A bit of roasty and some heat from the alcohol. Medium bodied. A tart finish with a pilsner like feel.

Overall, this beer falls on the slightly weird side of beers, something you can imagine from a saison. It's not bad, it's just got some weirdness to it. Again, something not unusual in a saison. Regardless, I'm glad I bought and tried this beer simply because of why it was created. (1,600 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Enjoyed out of a 22 oz brown bottle with a stamped on bottling date of 12/20/13 that had almost rubbed off. Poured into a Boulevard Smokestack Series tulip glass.

Appearance - So far, pretty standard, with a hazy orange body with tangelo highlights where the light refracts through the the liquid. Some tarnished brass shadows also lurk right beneath the one-finger beige head. Retention is solid, hanging out for several minutes before slinking to a thick film and leaving just a bit of lacing.

Smell - I wasn't quite sure what to expect since I'm finally getting around to opening this almost six months after it was bottled. That said, the smokiness is still present--notes of applewood-smoked bacon, hints of spices--allspice, cumin--sit atop a more traditional base of peppery spice and hints of generic fruity esters from the saison base--likely the yeast. Interesting, but has me a bit tentative, as I like my smoked beers to be a little more subtle.

Taste - The smoke isn't as up front on the palate as it was on the nose, allowing the fruity esters--notes of apple, nectarine and even dried apricot--to come through up front. However, there is a twinge of sourness (not puckering or tart, just sourish) followed by more aggressive smoke profiles. BBQ dry rub and smoked cherrywood as well as some more generic woodiness and leather. Unfortunately, while the taste in and of itself isn't bad, cumulative drinks really are hard to do. I'm not going to be able to finish this entire 22 oz bomber.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied and moderate carbonation, and sort of an oppressive feel, like I get with many smoked beers. The opposite of refreshing.

Overall, an interesting beer and certainly unique, as I've not had or even heard of other smoked saisons. And while I respect the imagination and craft that went into it, it's just not a beer that appeals to my taste. The smoke needs a little better counterpoint. (1,918 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

22oz bottle served in pint glass. Beer pours slightly cloudy and pale orange in color, alarmingly viscous for a saison (oh, right, *imperial* saison), with an ample white head. Fruity sweet aroma. Flavor is both more bitter and more sour than I'd expect in this cherrywood-smoked saison, but I guess that's the ever important "imperial" qualifier. My tolerance for Belgian funk is pretty low, but this is well within it. I don't get much smoke out of this, but there is a nice tartness reminiscent of cherry which works really well here. I will also point out that the strong flavors in this brew hold their own against the substantial alcohol content here. (657 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance:
Slightly hazy amber body plays host to gentle streams of carbonation and nice legs. Thin, soft white head is rather disappointing when compared to other saisons.

Aroma:
Quite sour at first sniff... me likey! Plenty of sweet notes from ripe apple and pear with crisp honey lend an almost cider-esque quality to the aroma. Cloves and pepper spice things up. Light peat and smoke characters.

Taste:
An impressive explosion of flavor. If you're a fan of the style, you'll know right away that this one is something special. Earthy wood notes (I can only assume its cherrywood) hit right away with a nice bitter profile. Plenty of pepper and other spices I can't quite nail down. Mild tart cherry notes on the finish with a bite that reminds you this one packs an impressive 10.5% ABV. Aftertaste is packed with smoked notes.

Mouthfeel:
Served at 40 degrees, this one is easy to drink. As it warms more puckering goodness is noticeable, keep this in mind when serving (I personally liked it more as it warmed). Typical saison in most regards here; medium bodied, light carbonation, semi-dry finish. Not what I would consider a clean finish, but enjoyable none-the-less.

Overall:
Definitely worth snagging if you're a fan of the style, you won't be disappointed. Even if you're not, you can't help but not be impressed by the complexity of this big saison (I'm struggling to think of another that comes close to this in ABV). I'm hoping I can still find a bottle to age in my cellar.... So if you see it, grab 2, just in case. (1,538 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

decent beer, great cause. this is born from a terrible tragedy, but its a nice way to honor the man here. very strong saison type, not nearly as smoked as i wish it was, sometimes it takes a lot of cherrywood smoked malt to get the desired result. definitely well short of a smoked beer like a ranch, but it gives this saison an additional earthy factor along with the yeast. my problem with it is how sort of average it all is, not as distinct as the tagline that sold me, and honestly its way too strong. its a bottle of beer that is just too much, even half a bomber with a buddy is more of this than i really want. however, i appreciate how light it feels, i mean, you don't taste the alcohol at all, and its so brilliantly carbonated that it never really shows its true meat. nice clear color for a saison too, usually these have quite a bit more haze to them. overall a special release from stone is always worth trying, especially with a story like this one, but it could be improved with a more robust smoke profile, and with an abv down in the 8% range. (1,062 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -25.3%

Appearance: Golden peach orange. Tiny bright-white collar with a tiny wispy cap. Moderate carbonation. Slight chill haze drops out as it warms.

Smell: Solid smoke, but it's not acrid. A touch of sweet pulpy wood with some underlying saison yeast. Some clove, a vague peppery element, and some mild earthy notes. Cherry wood offers some sweet smokiness with a mild fruity undercurrent. Banana, a touch of grass. Nicely balanced. Malts run on the sweeter side with some mild bready elements and a touch of cooked and caramelized malt. A touch of stone fruit and gummi candy.

Taste: Smoke pushes a bit harder than the nose and dominates up front. Slightly acrid and sweet. Very woody. A touch of grass, a solid herbal presence. Saison yeast throws some fruity esters coupled with some solid spice notes. Clove dominates the spice profile. Malts are slightly sweet. Some restrained pale malt sweetness with some bready elements. Slightly caramelized. Smoke builds a bit as it warms but clashes in the long run. So much cherry wood smoke. A really odd blend.

Mouthfeel: Mediumish body with a moderate carbonation. Decent astringency with a juicy sip up front. Finishes a touch dry.

Overall: Matt's burning something.

Just odd. It's not bad, but the weird saison and smoke combo falls short. Everything competes and nothing settles. (1,335 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled 2/31/13 at 45 degrees into a tulip glass
Faint aroma of smoke
Head small (1.5cm), white, creamy, rapidly diminishing to a broken layer 1 – 2 mm thick
Lacing good – small bubbles covering the surface
Body medium yellow, hazy
Flavor is primarily smoke and alcohol – no distinct hops, no malt, no diacetyl, a hint of saison fruitiness and yeast as the beer warms up.
Palate is medium, watery, lively carbonation.

Not sure why so many people gave this such reviews on BA. To me this is just another alcohol-heavy beer with little other flavor. The smokiness detracts from the essential characteristics of a saison. (625 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear golden color with white head. Looks perfect. Saison like qualities, with a dry, fruity smoke. Floral and spicy more than anything. Moderately bitter and smokey. Light to medium bodied, crisp with a small bite. Dry and very good. This works. Alot going on but it works. (282 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -17%

Appearance: Pours a clear, deep, orange-gold body with a couple inches of whitish foam.

Smell: Sweet-scented, honeyed nose atop pilsner malts, not altogether much in the smoke or wood department, citrus and orchard fruits, spiciness from alcohol, clove-scented phenols, and other peppery elements.

Taste: Pils and graciously bready malts given a thick, shimmering coating of candy syrup and honey for a full sweetness. Apple, zestful orange, clove-spiked pear, and a little banana give a melange of tangy fruitiness. Light wooden, light smoke accent. Peppery, earthy, herbal tone perks up midway and carries along until the finish. Growing alcohol warmth.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium-plus carbonation. There's a noted fullness, heaviness to the beverage.

Overall: While I didn't dig the beer, the tribute was welcome and fitting. Felt more akin to a big, beefy BSPA than a saison. (893 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours a cloudy light orange with a one-finger white head. Light lacing.

S - Aroma of Belgian yeast with a hint of light smokiness.

T - Taste is just like a classic Saison. The Belgian yeast and corriander give way to some nice smokey malts. Finish has a nice amount of smokiness.

M - medium bodied with high carbonation. Dry mouthfeel and finish.

O - Nice Saison. The smoke adds some nice flavor. Not mind blowing, but recommended. (439 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +5%

Pours a cloudy light orange with a small off white head, which fades quickly to a small ring of foam, leaving spotty lacing. The aroma has Belgian yeast, citrus, spices, and smoked malt.

Tastes sweet, without being overly sweet, with some smokiness. There is Belgian yeast, citrus, spices, smoked malt, apples, peaches, and grapes. Has a very nice combination of flavors.

Medium bodied with low carbonation. Very easy to drink, and the alcohol is well hidden. There is no alcohol burn, and the abv is 10.50 %. Very nicely made. (530 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Picked up a bomber from Total Wine in early March for $6.49.

Beer poured a cloudy orange with very little head.

Nose is classic Belgian saison yeast strain, some citrus, with a hint of smokiness.

Taste is classic saison and then the smoked malts kick in. There is some citrus and the finish is somewhat dry.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth. Normally i would expect a lighter field given this is a belgian style brew this is essentially an imperial saison.

Overall this is a pretty interesting brew. It definitely blurs the style lines but that is what makes things fun in the tasting game. (600 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +6.5%

This one comes off the tap with a nice, creamy almost-white head about a finger tall that shows resilience and falls slowly during the session. The brew itself is a clear and brightly shining orange-gold. Lacing is dropped in solid patching.
Smoke is gentle but there, at a very nice level as it makes itself known without charging. A bit of leaf, almost herbal, rests beneath that, and then some earth comes out. There's a bit of spiciness, both kitchen and pepper.
The flavor lets the smoke build on the tongue, and the surprise to me is how much fruit is in the taste. It's got lots of brightness, and the way it works with the smoke is very nice. It has a slight tartness, some citrus flavors making some headway in the middle to finish with the smoke and a light lingering leaf. The way the smoke builds without ever overpowering, adding more tang, or getting acrid displays a mastery. Earthy and spicy play a supporting role, always noticeable without vying for attention.
The body is about medium, and it may have a bit of heft for a Saison. It is bright and the crispness makes it very refreshing. Smoothness isn't lacking, either. (1,139 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Stone's Matt's Burning Rosids last month for $6.99 at The Lager Mill. This one seems like a pretty interesting beer and I don't think I've ever had a smoked Saison before and I'm interested to see how it turns out, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a Belgian tulip.

A- The bottle looks pretty nice, I think the look of the bottle goes well with the name. It poured a yellow orange color that took on a darker golden and orange color when held to the light with three fingers worth of creamy white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the smoke being the first to show up and it's almost on the border of being medium smokey and it's followed by some sweet malt aroma. Up next comes the Belgian yeast with some citrus rind and banana like aromas coming through. Towards the end comes a little more fruity aromas with some green apple coming through and there's a little bit of spicy and earthy hop aromas. This beer has a decent aroma, I like the smokey aspect, but the Saison aromas were a little dull and sweet.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the sweet malts being the first to show up and their followed by that Belgian yeast that imparts the same aspects that it did in the aroma with citrus rinds showing up the most this time and the banana shows up a little in the background along with a slight green apple flavor. Up next comes the same amount of smoke that I got in the aroma with a slightly boozy flavor that's a little warming and it's followed by the hops that impart a spicy flavor and a slightly higher amount of medium bitterness with a sweet fruity, lightly smokey and Belgian yeast like aftertaste. This was a decent tasting beer, but I thought the sweetness and the alcohol showed up a little more then they needed to.

M- Not the smoothest, a little boozy, a little cloying, a little sticky, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was decent, but it was a little too thick and sticky for me.

Overall I thought this was decent beer and a decent example of a Saison and a pretty unique example of the style, but it's not really how I prefer my Saisons, they call it a Imperial Saison and I would say that's what I would call it too, it reminds me a little of Brewery Vivant Zaison with the higher sweetness and noticeable alcohol. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it wasn't too smooth, it was a little thick, a little boozy, little cloying, a little filling and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, I think half the bottle is a good amount for me, I think the whole bottle would start to wear on me after awhile. I think this would be a good beer to enjoy in the fall time. What I like the most about this beer was the smoke aspect, it worked well with this beer and it wasn't overpowering. What I like the least about this beer was the sweetness and alcohol, they were both a little too high and I felt like they both held this beer back. I don't think I would buy this beer again, it's priced nicely, but I just don't feel the need revisit it again. I can't say I would recommend this beer. Overall I wasn't too impressed with this beer, I did like the smoke aspect, but the imperial Saison base wasn't as good as I thought it might be and left me wanting more flavor and less sweetness and alcohol. It's not my favorite Stone beer and it's for sure my not my favorite Saison and when it comes to imperial Saisons I would rather have Brewery Vivant Zaison instead. Better luck next time guys, this one just wasn't for me. (3,905 characters)

Matt's Burning Rosids from Stone Brewing Co.