Matt's Burning Rosids - Stone Brewing Co.

Matt's Burning RosidsMatt's Burning Rosids

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: DerrickW on 01-03-2014

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,206 | Reviews: 203
4.08/5  rDev +8.5%

Usually don't drink saisons so maybe this will change my mind.

Pours a deep clear orange with a finger of head.

Smells very Belgian with strong yeast notes. Very similar smell to a tripel.

Again tastes a lot like a tripel, a little bit lighter however. A hint of a boozey burn but at 10.5 that's expected. Some light fruits present there too. Aftertaste is very complex. I get salted meats and cheeses somehow, very different from the regular flavor.

Medium carbonation, good lingering aftertaste that leaves an impression.

I was impressed with this one. I think I will start looking for saisons more often now.

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

2.75/5  rDev -26.9%

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

3.86/5  rDev +2.7%

Heard good things about it, dig Stone's stuff, and respect the inspiration behind it, so thought I'd give it a shot.

Crisp and clear, first off. Golden yellow/amber, the way beer looks in the movies. Big frothy white head, good retention and lacing.

The smell presents primarily with traditional saison and belgian notes. Grains and banana-y esters jump out in the beginning, though there's an additional sweetness beyond the yeast and banana, which I assume to be the cherry wood. Faint ashy smoke that comes out more if you swirl it a couple of times. Smells like a fire at that point, or rather the ashes and coals from a fire. Strikes me as more ash than smoke.

Round smoke certainly sits in the forefront, with that woody sweetness to it as well. Less granular than I was expecting, which is a bonus to me. About halfway through it becomes punishingly bitter: orange peel and pith, primarily. This bitterness remains present through the finish, but is tempered by the honey sweetness, esters and some spice. Woah, this is over 10%?? Definitely doesn't come across that big. I would have guessed closer to the 6-7% range.

I was expecting this to be a decent brew, but I find myself enjoying it more than I anticipated. It is certainly unique, and I don't have mounds of experience with smoked beers and tend not to get too excited about saisons, but this is one I'd certainly drink again.

3.96/5  rDev +5.3%

poured from a big boy into a teku. mostly clear orange in color with a foamy white one finger head. looks nice.

smells like raw plantains or even plantain chips. smells like brett the hitman heart yeast with a spicey breadiness.

taste follows the nose for the most part. big battle between sweet and smokey here. the smoke was abrasive to me at first, but i like it. then again, i'm not very experienced with smoked beers.

mouthfeel has nice medium carbonation with just the right touch of malt to make this feel very easy drinking.

i found this too be quite a tasty beer. imperial saison...who knew?

3.25/5  rDev -13.6%

2.25/5  rDev -40.2%

2.95/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

A rare miss from the folks at Stone...at least for me...

Love the idea of this but the execution didn't hit the mark... the smokiness works in the aromas but it shifts this seriously in the taste dept and I didn't get it... the smoke battles with the funkiness of the base beer and muddles everything together...

I wanted to like this beer as its everywhere around here right now... but I wont be getting this one again.... I don't see how age will affect this to the positive at all...

4.25/5  rDev +13%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Matt's Burning Rosids from Stone Brewing Co.