Stone Delicious IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Delicious IPAStone Delicious IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: SocalKicks on 01-05-2014

From the beginning, Stone has been obsessed with the mission of providing people access to high-quality craft beer. After all, great beer is for everyone and anyone with the good taste to recognize it, not just a niche group like us uber beer geeks. So, when we developed this pleasantly bitter, deliciously citrusy, hop-driven IPA, we took it as an opportunity to go a step further and do something we’d spent over a year researching and perfecting: creating a beer that makes it possible for nearly everyone to experience our aggressive, no-holds-barred approach to craft brewing. It’s a flavorful, cutting-edge, modern-day IPA for everyone. Lemondrop and El Dorado hops provide plenty of fruit citrus character and a burst of hop zing that sings on the palate. We’re proud to present it to those who already know us for our IPA prowess and to those who, so far, have only heard legends.
to view more.
Ratings: 1,091 | Reviews: 248
Reviews by Nugganooch:
3.57/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Bruski Burgers in Mira Mesa
Full pint – 05/23/2014

A: A perfect goldenrod pale ale with good clarity revealing some effervescent action. Short layer of paper white suds rests across the top for a few moments. Light dotting and some random patch work of lacing hits the glass.

S: Not particularly pungent or hoppy here which is unexpected for a Stone IPA. It is fruity and floral but in a different kind of way. Has a fruity bubble gum scent to it. I get some perfume like flowers and herbals with lemon oil. Like lavender or lemon verbena or something. Oh geez I hope that is not another one of those.

T: Heavy herbal notes, minty even, with lemon concentrate and fruit gum. A bit of an odd mix really. Has an Orange Julius vanilla crème flavor thing going on about midway kind of like one of those 50-50 ice cream bars. There is an overall smooth level of bitterness to the beer and the alcohol is definitely not shy. It is kind of boozy really and not all that hoppy. Has some stone fruit character there and a bit of understated malt sweetness. A little all over the place and not coming together for me. Kind of disappointing considering they freakin’ coined this IPA to be delicious.

M: Moderate body hitting a touch on the heftier side from a lower level of carb or heavier malt base. Perhaps a combination of the two. Bitterness is modest really with some noticeable alcohol warmth. Slick and clean with some drying at the finish.

D: False advertising! A pretty big miss from Stone in my opinion. Maybe it’s these experimental hops…I am not exactly sure but this one just didn’t work for me at all. They do present some interesting and unique flavors but the bigger issue is everything is fairly muted and extenuated. Not exactly bad but comes across very meh in my book. I would skip this one all together.

3.64/5  rDev -7.1%

12 oz bottle. Pours hazy golden orange with a big frothy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is a bit subdued - resiny piney catty hops with some sugary fruit.

The flavor is sweet bready malt and a little fruit with catty resiny hops. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, I taste no difference due to lack of gluten - definitely the hoppiest gluten reduced beer I've had. The hops aren't my favorite though...a bit catty.

3.92/5  rDev 0%

Appearance - Pours slightly hazy and golden orange in color with a rocky, white 2-finger head. Good retention, eventually leading to a thin, broken layer of surface suds and a fair ring around the edge.

Smell - Bright citrus notes of orange and lemon with hints of stone fruit and a light, sweet bready malt undertone.

Taste - Follows the nose, mostly. Candied orange with hints of lemon, pine and stone fruit. Light, generic bready sweetness hit near the finish.

Mouthfeel - Light to medium body with moderate carbonation. Smooth, then a semi-dry finish.

Overall - Splendid offering - don't let the 'Low Gluten' tag fool you. Fantastic hop profile with just enough malt base to keep it honest. Hop heads will enjoy this.

2.68/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Hmmm so this is a Stone beer?
Very average. One of those beers that will be forgotten.
A = OK nothing bad here. Nice light color slightly hazy. Looks inviting.

Smell = Again nothing bad very light flora notes. Different Hops so a nice change up.

Taste = Balanced Nothing to write home. I left a second bottle to warm with no improvement.

Mouthfeel = My first thought is Thin.

Overall = Different hops in this and I like different so why didn't this beer excite me?
I need to revisit this beer with a different mood/attitude and surroundings.

4.23/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Serving: 12 oz bottle poured into a Founder's pint glass. Says Enjoy By 3/19/15, so maybe 6 weeks old or so?

A: Pours a bright golden-yellow with a 3/4-finger foamy white head that sticks around. Very clear and very carbonated, with tiny bubbles lacing up the glass.

S: Lemon, lemon pie, orange candies, some papaya and apricot as well. More exotic tropical fruit aromas than your traditional grapefruit and mango. Very unique.

T: Lots of lemon, orange, tangerine, papaya, and some pineapple. Not too sweet. Some bready malts on the finish.

M: Nice and full, great carbonation. ABV is somewhat noticeable, but this is a 7.7% IPA. Very, very dry finish. Almost, too dry.

O: So other than the unique spin of being "gluten-reduced", the main thing this beer has going is it's unique hop profile. There's some nice exotic fruit notes and nice lemon notes here you don't get in your average IPA, and I like that they mixed it up here. Very refreshing. The whole gluten thing doesn't really come into play, at least I can't tell the difference. I'd like the ABV toned down a touch, but the balance here is nice. May not blow you away, but it's an above average IPA from Stone that's unique above all else.

Recommendation: Gluten-intolerant or not, every hop-head should check this beer out at least once.

Clear gold color, medium size white head with good retention and plenty of frothy patchy lacing....a good looking beer. Aroma is robust, citrus hops and a good indication that this one is going to be bitter enough for hop heads.

Taste is citrus hops, never had Lemon drop hops that I know of, but there is a lemony/citrus presence. This beer is plenty bitter. Mouthfeel is crisp and bitter, no hint of 7.7% abv.

A very tasty AIPA that I would try again.

4.27/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Interesting beer I think the ABV might be higher than needed here for this beer though. I am dying for a 6.5% in between beer of Go To IPA and Enjoy By. I think that beer in 6 packs would crush. I like this beer and will revisit. This is an impressively crafted IPA but should have been a bomber format beer to test the waters. I'm ready for Go Enjoy IPA.

2.53/5  rDev -35.5%

12oz bottle: no freshness date that I can see

Appearance: Brilliantly transparent dark gold color under a creamy fluffy white head.

Aroma: This is going to sound nuts, but I used to use this catfish blood with my bait and I'm getting a similar smell from this beer.

Taste: It has a very faint grain flavor along with a bit of tea, but it's very watered down.

Mouthfeel: Pretty dry, but it doesn't have enough presence in the mouth.

Overall: I wasn't a fan of this beer and I wouldn't pick it up again. The hops just didn't have enough flavor, there wasn't enough body supporting the beer...it just fell flat.

4.14/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

It's not imperial. It's not complex. It's not laced with elements of rarity or limitations. But what it is, is a straight-forward American IPA that doesn't back down from its bitter pedestal or cave to smoother, softer hop impressions. It is a bitter IPA and it is delicious!

The light golden, crystal clear, and highly effervescent beer builds a foamy lather of froth to aspire the aromas of grapefruit, orange, lemon and fragrant stemmy botanicals. Its first sip is tepidly of caramel and grain but hardly makes a mark on the hop onslaught to come.

Its quick middle casts aside any sweeter influence and favors hop taste, texture ad whimsy early on. Freshly grated oranges, lemons and grapefruits all capture an herbal, perfumy and woodsy spice as to capture a flavor that's most redolent of green tea, sassafras, fresh-cut grass and citrus peel.

Fully drying in the end, the medium-light ale closes with bone dryness and no apologies. Aggressive in its sharp and resinous finish, an afterglow of gin, spruce, lime and pepper begin to grace the quick aftertaste. with only echoes of citrus washing over the late palate.

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

These guys don't miss ever.

2.37/5  rDev -39.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Very disappointed in this beer. Very bad after taste, lacks flavor and don't rellay tast any citrus hops

4.21/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle, Enjoy by 05-05-15 dating etched on the bottle

LIghter amber, typical quality look to this Stone brew..

Pungent grapefruit soaked sniff

Densely flavorful, fresh hop bomb. Well crafted, highly enjoyable and well worth seeking out

4.41/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very good tasting ipa, not as harsh as a typical stone brew, but I like that about it.

4.21/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a chalice.

Appearance: Pours a bright golden orange with a moderate amount of bubbles. About one finger of white head which fades back into a thin creamy layer.

Smell: A juicy, spicy, and earthy hop forward aroma with hints of citrus fruit and grass. Citrus hops with juicy hints of grapefruit, orange peel, lemon, mango, pineapple, and stone fruit. Grassy hop scent along with a little pine. Light malt scent with hints of grains, cracker, and yeast. A pretty solid hoppy aroma.

Taste: Like the nose, a juicy, earthy, and spicy hop driven taste with good notes of citrus fruit and grass. Juicy taste of citrus hops with notes of orange peel, grapefruit, lemongrass, mango, pineapple, and stone fruit. Floral and grassy hops with some notes of spicy pine. Soft pale malt presence with notes of grains, cracker, and yeast. A pretty nice taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Juicy, spicy, and somewhat oily with a drying finish.

Overall: Another good IPA from Stone. Nice juicy citrus and grassy hop flavors.

3.88/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Golden color, clear. Nice head retention and lacing.
Smell: Fruity, citrusy hops. Not overly aromatic though.
Taste: Lemony citrus and grapefruit very dominant, quite nice. Just a hint of malty sweetness.
Mouthfeel: medium to light bodied, nice dry finish
Overall: Quite tasty! Very refreshing for an IPA, probably due to the dryness in the finish.

4.67/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a crystal clear copper with a finger of white head.

Nose is sensational. Lemon, tangerine, orange, pine, with a slight malty sweetness.

Flavors of lemony goodness. Astringent hoppy acidity, but in a good way. Bitterness is higher than I expected, again a good thing. Actually is delicious.

Coats the mouth and the aftertaste makes you want to come back for more.

This is a very delicious IPA. I've never heard of Lemon Drop Hops but now I want more of them. Very very good.

3.76/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

This is a pretty decent IPA. After buying a 6-pack at Sprouts, I got it home and realized that this is supposed to be "reduced gluten". I don't have any sensitivity to gluten so I probably wouldn't have bought it had I caught that. That aside, I enjoyed it, but probably wouldn't get it again.

3.77/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

It smells like lemon juice. Straight up. After drinking some down I do get more of the cracker malt on the nose, but right after pouring all I got on the nose was lemon!

The taste was surprisingly not as citrusy and fruity sweet as I was read to believe. I get a cracker-sourdough malt with a distinct amount of bitterness from the hops. The way this one was billed, and even smelled, I was thinking it would taste more along the lines of Born Yesterday; or even Fresh Squeezed. It's definitely a good IPA and something I wouldn't mind to drink now and then, but not as revolutionary as the bottle blurb about lemondrop hops had me going.

Aptly named!!! I would never have guessed this is a gluten free beer. Lovely citrus orange/tangerine/pine hop aroma; bright, refreshing lightly malty hop flavor that lingers. Best gluten free beer I've had so far. Stone almost never disappoints!! :D

2.8/5  rDev -28.6%

Just okay. With a name like Delicious, I was hoping for much more.

3.93/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 ounce glass into a tulip glass.

It's a beautiful looking beer with a radiant quality. The head is light and frothy and forms a crown of sorts above the body. The body is elegantly clear and golden in color with a tinge of amber. Majestic-looking beer. 5

Lemony, sweet floral hints and bready. Aside from the lemon notes, conventional but nice. 3.75

I'm definitely finding some unique flavors from this. It's lemony, sweet and vanilla-like, and has a finish that tastes like a lemon candy. Not sure how they achieved that. 4

The body initially comes off as watery and thin, but fullness emerges thanks to the spice of the hops and a healthy rush of carbonation. As I sip it it occurs to me this drinks very light and easy. 3.75

I like this. This should be there go-yo IPA as it's much more flavorful and feels so light.

3.83/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Uber Fresh. Hit shelves in the Bay Area this morning from what I was told.

Interesting and unique citrus profile. I'd describe as a lemon-lime citrus forward beer with some grapefruit skin. Grassy and prickly pine complimenting the citrus but there's a weird bready - cardboard thing going along with it. Kind of one-dimensional but easy drinking 7.7%ABV makes this a sneaky beer. Light and crisp body for the ABV with just enough malt to let you know it's there, but make no mistake, this one's not about the malt. Alcohol slightly detectable.

Nothing mindblowing in today's arena of new up and coming amazing hoppy beers popping up all over, but for $8.99 a six-pack....This isn't a bad deal when you consider what a rip Ruination is. Cheers!

4.73/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Hoppy, delicious, and great for getting fucked up.

3.58/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I agree with some prior reviews that there was something "off" taste wise or I simply don't like the lemondrop hop: Bread with cat urine + an odd aftertaste that lingered far too long on my tongue. I guess my expectations of what a hop named lemondrop would bring to a beer were off base. Got the "zing" but didn't get citrus at all. Not bad by any means but nothing I would ever seek out again. Even the initial pine/citrus smell faded quite fast. Alcohol % aside, almost a session IPA feel in that it lacked complexity.

3.01/5  rDev -23.2%

had a slick feel I don't like. I personally don't like the hot characteristics in this beer

to view more.
Stone Delicious IPA from Stone Brewing Co.