Stone Go To IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Go To IPAStone Go To IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: dwagner003 on 02-03-2014

It's no secret we helped create and popularize West Coast style IPAs (since 1997), Double IPAs (since 2000) & Triple IPAs (since 2006). In fact, IPAs of every ilk imaginable are our bread and (hop) butter at Stone Brewing Co., but we'll be the first to admit that a night of subsisting solely on big IPAs can be a short one. Enter Stone Go To IPA, our session IPA, boasting all the gloriously bitter, citrusy, piney flavor of our bigger / industrial-strength IPAs, but with a significantly lower alcohol-by-volume (4.5%) allowing IPA fans like us to enjoy more of this amazingly, hoppy beer over a longer session, without giving up any of that gloriously crave-able botanically-driven dankness. Well, OK, when you compare to our bigger IPAs you find that you give up some, as that's what happens when you dramatically lower the abv. And while we work hard to bend the time/space/abv intensity continuum, we've admittedly not yet learned to break it. This comes damn close though.
to view more.
Ratings: 2,820 | Reviews: 368
3.94/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

-light in color and a large head with larger bubbles , slight haze
- bright citrus laden hops
- water with mellow citrus hops, bright and light
-smooth but very light
- a great session style beer! great flavor just hoped it would have less of a watered down taste, but it may just be my palate being used to stones above average ibus

Nice IPA but I enjoy the regular one more

1.42/5  rDev -64.1%

Initially I thought this beer was Fantastik, but it turned out to be Formula 409.

3.54/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Gold in color with nice lacing. Grapefruity floral aroma hops hit the nose followed by... wait you cant follow up those massive hop aromas. This is a nice summer beer with strong bittering hops that finish subtly with grapefruit.

4.06/5  rDev +2.5%

Tastes like someone spilled watered down grapefruit juice into my Stone IPA.

2.5/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I don't really get the high rating on this one, it is like every other session ipa i have tried; watered down, weak, and lacking any flavor other than a one noted bitterness. Take Stone off the bottle and put to a blind taste test and i would put money on this one getting a lower rating.

Don't get me wrong I have greatly enjoyed other Stone beers, but unwarranted inflation of a beers scores based on brand is annoying.

Would not seek out or purchase again.

2.5/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Tasted like watered down ipa

3.94/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured clear pail gold with a modest creamy off white head, leaving spotty lacing.

Crisp citrus with grapefruit out front, but far more subtle than one would expect from an IPA.

Bitter grapefruit through the opening to the finish. A bit of a single note, but a good note it is.

Medium body, well carbonated, and no hint the alcohol is below 5%.

This low abv thing is an interesting and welcome new trend. Especially knowing that fully developed flavors can be achieved, I think this is an excellent market move for breweries. I enjoyed this with grilled cheese and sundried tomato bisque.

3.57/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is relatively clear pale yellow in color and has a light amount of carbonation. It poured with a two finger high white head that has good retention properties that consistently left a finger high head covering the surface.
S: Light aromas of citrus are present in the nose.
T: The taste has light to moderate flavors of grapefruit hops and a light amount of associate bitterness.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This IPA is certainly very easy to drink, but seems to be over carbonated and isn't as flavorful as some of the other top "session IPAs".

3.83/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Not even sure I'd want to session this, probably just drink less of something I like more. But for what it is it's solid. Just not my taste.

3.71/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Aroma is pleasing and tempts one to proceed as planned. As far as sessions go, this is one to keep on hand.

4.45/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Nice beer, drink it very cold with a ribeye.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look: A nice golden color with a good white head that leaves good lacing

Smell: Pine and citrus hops

Taste: Pine and citrus hops, light caramel and biscuit malts, balanced bitterness

Feel: Light body, crisp carb

Overall: One of the best session IPAs I've had, doesn't disappoint and it feels like stone

4.32/5  rDev +9.1%

Amazing scent on a session ipa!

3.6/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I'm not normally an IPA guy, but this one is turning me toward the style.

2.93/5  rDev -26%

Straight ipa, nothing that exotic.

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

An excellent session IPA. Does not fall short in the flavor department. Have read a few negative reviews and believe that FRESH is the key to enjoying this beer and many IPAs.

3.7/5  rDev -6.6%

I bought this beer in a retailer here in México, it´s at least 4 months old (maybe more) and it was ok, not bad but no so great either. I´ve tried a couple of stone beers here in Mexico and both have been very disappointing, I must try one in the US.

3.87/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Stone "Go To IPA"
12 oz. brown glass bottle, "ENJOY BY 05/0515"

Stone "Go To IPA"... should be an easy one, right? Let's see. Typical IPA appearance although perhaps a little more "golden" than might have been expected. Slightly hazy, but probably from dry-hopping, so no complaints there. The head retention and lacing seem quite good. On to the aroma: pungent, resinous, citrusy - actually quite dank... interesting. The flavor is also a bit pungent and resinous, as well as piney, but there's also much more citrus present than the nose let on (grapefruit, tangerine, lemon). I thought to myself, "if there's no malt going on beyond these hops, that'll still be OK for me", and it's kind of true - both for myself, and within the malt, which is somewhat biscuity but really just basic. Hmmm. I wish I hadn't thought that, because now I have a conundrum... is it OK with such a basic malt, or do I need more to support those intense hop flavors? Or does the malt allow those hop flavors to do what they want and just go to town? In the end I guess that's a question that really can't be answered. This has the bombastic hops of a bigger IPA, but the base of a much simpler IPA... it kind of leaves me looking for the malt of an "average" Stone IPA... but then I don't quite get the hops... so it's a trade-off - other than going to a bigger IPA (with much more alcohol) I'm a little bit stuck with one or the other... hmmm??? What I'll say then is that it's a welcome addition to the Stone line-up that has it's time and place. I'll gladly have more of these in the future, and I'll have plenty of other Stone IPAs as well, but for something like a 5 or 6 hour long deep sea fishing voyage these'll do just fine and I won't wake up as we return to dock covered in fish guts and empty crushed cans of Bud Light! (Not that that has ever happened!)

4.48/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

L - Lightly hazed, bronze-y gold. Trickling bubble curtain near edge of glass. 2 finger white head, dissipated to light film on top. Left substantial lacing without drinking after settling.

S - *Its cold season but I did get some in sniffer* Smelled citrus up front. Orange and grapefruit notes. No alcohol smell, maybe just a tid; not anything like some other IPAs from Stone. Smells clean and crisp.

T - Refreshing. The notes I picked up are registering. The initial taste is sweet and sort of like taking a bite into a grapefruit near the end of the drink. Very easy IPA on the upfront and the back. Tinge of the hoppiness near the end but not nearly like what one would be used to from the other Stone variety. Tame compared to the other stronger brothers. Tastes clean, crisp and earthy.

M - It flows over the palate with light carbonation. The smells all were clear upon first taste. Washed over my tongue with ease, no noticeable IPA bite until after swallowing. Very light numbing hop taste near the end of a drink. Its delightful. Very easy. Could have had a bit more carbonation, but it didn't make me burpy. So that was a big plus.

This is a winner. I would say that overall, this is a very tame but manageable IPA. Even for someone with little education about the style could probably get away with trying this and not regretting it. As for the rest of the beer fans, this is an ideal session brew. Its not sneaky in the ways some other more boisterous IPA's are, its honest but not boring. Its charismatic. Clearly an IPA, but not overly bitter or confident in the hops area. Very delighted with this one. Possibly one of my favorite IPA's to date. Its good cold, not necessary to let it warm up in my experience. Drink up.

I will buy this again, and also suggest it to others that are new to different beer styles.

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bottle of goto IPA drank.

4.77/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

On tap this is one of the all time best ipas available

I know it seems ridiculous to rate anything 5/5, but I absolutely love this IPA. I'm forever embarrassing myself drinking a higher gravity beer. The description "admittedly" sacrifices flavor for a lower ABV. Not to me. Super piney. Tastes and smells like weed, actually. Ha. I often find double and imperial IPAs to be too sweet. This is perfect. Hoppy and dry. It's hard to catch a buzz drinking it, but that's what whiskey's for. Cheers!

4.39/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is a great beer. Poured into a pilsner glass. Finger head dissipates fairly quickly. Light amber color. Smells floral. Tastes kinda bitter like any other hoppy IPA but has a nice citrus-y thing going on. Not bad bitter just enough to add character. Reminds me of grapefruit juice but in a good way.

3.96/5  rDev 0%

I drank it in the bottle. Immediately I could smell notes of grapefruit, lots of them. Has a bitter like grapefruit aftertaste and it is very carbonated. Not a bad IPA 4/5

to view more.
Stone Go To IPA from Stone Brewing Co.