Stone Go To IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Go To IPAStone Go To IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: dwagner003 on 02-03-2014

It's no secret we helped create and popularize West Coast style IPAs (since 1997), Double IPAs (since 2000) & Triple IPAs (since 2006). In fact, IPAs of every ilk imaginable are our bread and (hop) butter at Stone Brewing Co., but we'll be the first to admit that a night of subsisting solely on big IPAs can be a short one. Enter Stone Go To IPA, our session IPA, boasting all the gloriously bitter, citrusy, piney flavor of our bigger / industrial-strength IPAs, but with a significantly lower alcohol-by-volume (4.5%) allowing IPA fans like us to enjoy more of this amazingly, hoppy beer over a longer session, without giving up any of that gloriously crave-able botanically-driven dankness. Well, OK, when you compare to our bigger IPAs you find that you give up some, as that's what happens when you dramatically lower the abv. And while we work hard to bend the time/space/abv intensity continuum, we've admittedly not yet learned to break it. This comes damn close though.
to view more.
Ratings: 2,838 | Reviews: 375
4.01/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Ok, have to admit I didn't read the label and thought I was drinking a bigger beer.
Really on the money flavour and body wise for the ABV.
Very much an IPA not an APA as well. Little too much pine for this palate but certainly west coast style with grapefruit.
Nice

3.45/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Smells and taste good pretty good

4.23/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I've put off, and put off, trying a session IPA. The idea has just always struck me as a little weird. My biggest concern was that it would feature a strangely thin body for a hoppy-tasting brew. But given my expectations, I was impressed with this. Nice piney aroma, good lacing, a little bitter on the end, but with a solid body. If you can accept this as a legit style, then I don't know how much more you can hope for from one. This was a good drink.

4.18/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

For a light IPA it's pretty good. For a work day this is perfect.

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

Not a big session fan, but I'm already drunk so it makes sense...it's really good.

4.75/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

As a person who is really starting to fall in love with sessions. This is the apex predator of the lot.

4.74/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My go to beer, hands down. The 4.5% ABV allows me to drink as often as I want. Nose is excellent as is the tease. A no brainer for me.

3.94/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

-light in color and a large head with larger bubbles , slight haze
- bright citrus laden hops
- water with mellow citrus hops, bright and light
-smooth but very light
- a great session style beer! great flavor just hoped it would have less of a watered down taste, but it may just be my palate being used to stones above average ibus

Nice IPA but I enjoy the regular one more

1.42/5  rDev -64.1%

Initially I thought this beer was Fantastik, but it turned out to be Formula 409.

3.54/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Gold in color with nice lacing. Grapefruity floral aroma hops hit the nose followed by... wait you cant follow up those massive hop aromas. This is a nice summer beer with strong bittering hops that finish subtly with grapefruit.

4.06/5  rDev +2.5%

Tastes like someone spilled watered down grapefruit juice into my Stone IPA.

2.5/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I don't really get the high rating on this one, it is like every other session ipa i have tried; watered down, weak, and lacking any flavor other than a one noted bitterness. Take Stone off the bottle and put to a blind taste test and i would put money on this one getting a lower rating.

Don't get me wrong I have greatly enjoyed other Stone beers, but unwarranted inflation of a beers scores based on brand is annoying.

Would not seek out or purchase again.

2.5/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Tasted like watered down ipa

3.94/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured clear pail gold with a modest creamy off white head, leaving spotty lacing.

Crisp citrus with grapefruit out front, but far more subtle than one would expect from an IPA.

Bitter grapefruit through the opening to the finish. A bit of a single note, but a good note it is.

Medium body, well carbonated, and no hint the alcohol is below 5%.

This low abv thing is an interesting and welcome new trend. Especially knowing that fully developed flavors can be achieved, I think this is an excellent market move for breweries. I enjoyed this with grilled cheese and sundried tomato bisque.

3.57/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is relatively clear pale yellow in color and has a light amount of carbonation. It poured with a two finger high white head that has good retention properties that consistently left a finger high head covering the surface.
S: Light aromas of citrus are present in the nose.
T: The taste has light to moderate flavors of grapefruit hops and a light amount of associate bitterness.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This IPA is certainly very easy to drink, but seems to be over carbonated and isn't as flavorful as some of the other top "session IPAs".

3.83/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Not even sure I'd want to session this, probably just drink less of something I like more. But for what it is it's solid. Just not my taste.

3.71/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Aroma is pleasing and tempts one to proceed as planned. As far as sessions go, this is one to keep on hand.

4.45/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Nice beer, drink it very cold with a ribeye.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look: A nice golden color with a good white head that leaves good lacing

Smell: Pine and citrus hops

Taste: Pine and citrus hops, light caramel and biscuit malts, balanced bitterness

Feel: Light body, crisp carb

Overall: One of the best session IPAs I've had, doesn't disappoint and it feels like stone

4.32/5  rDev +9.1%

Amazing scent on a session ipa!

3.6/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I'm not normally an IPA guy, but this one is turning me toward the style.

2.93/5  rDev -26%

Straight ipa, nothing that exotic.

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

An excellent session IPA. Does not fall short in the flavor department. Have read a few negative reviews and believe that FRESH is the key to enjoying this beer and many IPAs.

3.7/5  rDev -6.6%

I bought this beer in a retailer here in México, it´s at least 4 months old (maybe more) and it was ok, not bad but no so great either. I´ve tried a couple of stone beers here in Mexico and both have been very disappointing, I must try one in the US.

to view more.
Stone Go To IPA from Stone Brewing Co.