Stone Go To IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Go To IPAStone Go To IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: dwagner003 on 02-03-2014

It's no secret we helped create and popularize West Coast style IPAs (since 1997), Double IPAs (since 2000) & Triple IPAs (since 2006). In fact, IPAs of every ilk imaginable are our bread and (hop) butter at Stone Brewing Co., but we'll be the first to admit that a night of subsisting solely on big IPAs can be a short one. Enter Stone Go To IPA, our session IPA, boasting all the gloriously bitter, citrusy, piney flavor of our bigger / industrial-strength IPAs, but with a significantly lower alcohol-by-volume (4.5%) allowing IPA fans like us to enjoy more of this amazingly, hoppy beer over a longer session, without giving up any of that gloriously crave-able botanically-driven dankness. Well, OK, when you compare to our bigger IPAs you find that you give up some, as that's what happens when you dramatically lower the abv. And while we work hard to bend the time/space/abv intensity continuum, we've admittedly not yet learned to break it. This comes damn close though.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Go To IPA Alström Bros
3.7/5  rDev -6.6%

I bought this beer in a retailer here in México, it´s at least 4 months old (maybe more) and it was ok, not bad but no so great either. I´ve tried a couple of stone beers here in Mexico and both have been very disappointing, I must try one in the US.

4.46/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.04/5  rDev +2%

3.63/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.87/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Stone "Go To IPA"
12 oz. brown glass bottle, "ENJOY BY 05/0515"

Stone "Go To IPA"... should be an easy one, right? Let's see. Typical IPA appearance although perhaps a little more "golden" than might have been expected. Slightly hazy, but probably from dry-hopping, so no complaints there. The head retention and lacing seem quite good. On to the aroma: pungent, resinous, citrusy - actually quite dank... interesting. The flavor is also a bit pungent and resinous, as well as piney, but there's also much more citrus present than the nose let on (grapefruit, tangerine, lemon). I thought to myself, "if there's no malt going on beyond these hops, that'll still be OK for me", and it's kind of true - both for myself, and within the malt, which is somewhat biscuity but really just basic. Hmmm. I wish I hadn't thought that, because now I have a conundrum... is it OK with such a basic malt, or do I need more to support those intense hop flavors? Or does the malt allow those hop flavors to do what they want and just go to town? In the end I guess that's a question that really can't be answered. This has the bombastic hops of a bigger IPA, but the base of a much simpler IPA... it kind of leaves me looking for the malt of an "average" Stone IPA... but then I don't quite get the hops... so it's a trade-off - other than going to a bigger IPA (with much more alcohol) I'm a little bit stuck with one or the other... hmmm??? What I'll say then is that it's a welcome addition to the Stone line-up that has it's time and place. I'll gladly have more of these in the future, and I'll have plenty of other Stone IPAs as well, but for something like a 5 or 6 hour long deep sea fishing voyage these'll do just fine and I won't wake up as we return to dock covered in fish guts and empty crushed cans of Bud Light! (Not that that has ever happened!)

4.48/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

L - Lightly hazed, bronze-y gold. Trickling bubble curtain near edge of glass. 2 finger white head, dissipated to light film on top. Left substantial lacing without drinking after settling.

S - *Its cold season but I did get some in sniffer* Smelled citrus up front. Orange and grapefruit notes. No alcohol smell, maybe just a tid; not anything like some other IPAs from Stone. Smells clean and crisp.

T - Refreshing. The notes I picked up are registering. The initial taste is sweet and sort of like taking a bite into a grapefruit near the end of the drink. Very easy IPA on the upfront and the back. Tinge of the hoppiness near the end but not nearly like what one would be used to from the other Stone variety. Tame compared to the other stronger brothers. Tastes clean, crisp and earthy.

M - It flows over the palate with light carbonation. The smells all were clear upon first taste. Washed over my tongue with ease, no noticeable IPA bite until after swallowing. Very light numbing hop taste near the end of a drink. Its delightful. Very easy. Could have had a bit more carbonation, but it didn't make me burpy. So that was a big plus.

This is a winner. I would say that overall, this is a very tame but manageable IPA. Even for someone with little education about the style could probably get away with trying this and not regretting it. As for the rest of the beer fans, this is an ideal session brew. Its not sneaky in the ways some other more boisterous IPA's are, its honest but not boring. Its charismatic. Clearly an IPA, but not overly bitter or confident in the hops area. Very delighted with this one. Possibly one of my favorite IPA's to date. Its good cold, not necessary to let it warm up in my experience. Drink up.

I will buy this again, and also suggest it to others that are new to different beer styles.

3.66/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.28/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.3/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.11/5  rDev +3.8%

3.9/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bottle of goto IPA drank.

3.63/5  rDev -8.3%

3.99/5  rDev +0.8%

4.62/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.91/5  rDev -1.3%

4.24/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.77/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

On tap this is one of the all time best ipas available

I know it seems ridiculous to rate anything 5/5, but I absolutely love this IPA. I'm forever embarrassing myself drinking a higher gravity beer. The description "admittedly" sacrifices flavor for a lower ABV. Not to me. Super piney. Tastes and smells like weed, actually. Ha. I often find double and imperial IPAs to be too sweet. This is perfect. Hoppy and dry. It's hard to catch a buzz drinking it, but that's what whiskey's for. Cheers!

4.65/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.39/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is a great beer. Poured into a pilsner glass. Finger head dissipates fairly quickly. Light amber color. Smells floral. Tastes kinda bitter like any other hoppy IPA but has a nice citrus-y thing going on. Not bad bitter just enough to add character. Reminds me of grapefruit juice but in a good way.

4.3/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.36/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Stone Go To IPA from Stone Brewing Co.