Stone Go To IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Go To IPAStone Go To IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: dwagner003 on 02-03-2014

It's no secret we helped create and popularize West Coast style IPAs (since 1997), Double IPAs (since 2000) & Triple IPAs (since 2006). In fact, IPAs of every ilk imaginable are our bread and (hop) butter at Stone Brewing Co., but we'll be the first to admit that a night of subsisting solely on big IPAs can be a short one. Enter Stone Go To IPA, our session IPA, boasting all the gloriously bitter, citrusy, piney flavor of our bigger / industrial-strength IPAs, but with a significantly lower alcohol-by-volume (4.5%) allowing IPA fans like us to enjoy more of this amazingly, hoppy beer over a longer session, without giving up any of that gloriously crave-able botanically-driven dankness. Well, OK, when you compare to our bigger IPAs you find that you give up some, as that's what happens when you dramatically lower the abv. And while we work hard to bend the time/space/abv intensity continuum, we've admittedly not yet learned to break it. This comes damn close though.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Go To IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,956 | Reviews: 408

I am truly grateful for this beer. Best session beer ever. As someone previously stated, Stone is "f*** you" to balance. Well, that's not entirely fair to say, but bless them for the times that they are. I don't want balance, I don't want malt. I want hops. This beer is crisp, effervescent, honest from glorious-start-to-shining-finish hops. No sweet ending from too much alcohol to spoil the fun. Herbs, grass, citrus, sunshine fill the mouth and soul. I imagine myself running in slow motion, Sound of Music style, through a hop vineyard on a sunny Willamette Valley day, a wreath of wild chamomile adorning my head. Green everywhere, save for some wild daisies scattered about.

A refreshing summer brew, a soothing nightcap. Low alcohol so I can enjoy it any time. I am grateful. Screw balance. Call me unsophisticated, but my love affair with IPAs started with Bridgeport plenty of years ago and I've "evolved" to desire less and less 'balance' over time. I want a malt rating added to beer labels. I want mandatory dating on bottles. I'm sick of having to take my chances with beers that have gothic-sounding names/labels and promise to deliver some transcending hop experience. I want IBUs to mean something to my palate.

I love everything about this beer. As for balanced, complex beers...bah! I chew hop flowers and suck pine needles for pleasure.

Can't believe this is a session IPA! Tastes and smells bigger. I gave this 5's because I've never has a session IPA that taste and smells like a 7% 'er but you can slam. Huge citrus notes! Awesome job Stone!

Another home run by stone! This is very hoppy! And a awesome session beer at 4.5% abv

I know it seems ridiculous to rate anything 5/5, but I absolutely love this IPA. I'm forever embarrassing myself drinking a higher gravity beer. The description "admittedly" sacrifices flavor for a lower ABV. Not to me. Super piney. Tastes and smells like weed, actually. Ha. I often find double and imperial IPAs to be too sweet. This is perfect. Hoppy and dry. It's hard to catch a buzz drinking it, but that's what whiskey's for. Cheers!

By far and away the best session IPA. Pick some up and drink it all summer.

love this ipa. great for a few after work or half a case to get loaded on the weekend. not a "heavy" brew so you can have a few. a bit piney and good amount of bitterness. this is my default brew

4.97/5  rDev +25.5%

It smells and tastes like I'm standing in a room filled with hops.

4.94/5  rDev +24.7%

Appearance - pours a hazy yellow. Maybe a two finger white head, slow retention, decent lacing
Smell - citrus fruit bowl!
Taste - beware you need to be a true hopheadto like this one! In your face hop bitterness with no malt rescue. Initial taste andaftertaste is hop forward.Best way to describe the finish is dry with a bitter bite like an orange or lemon peel. I love it.
Feel - a little thin but not a bad thing. In a way, light enough feel for summer but enough hop spice for fall.
Overall: Love this. Most brews with 4.5 ABV taste like kool-aid to me. This one has the flavor personality of a much higher ABV.
HIghly recommended if you love the hop forward attributes!

4.92/5  rDev +24.2%

Less hoppy than the regular IPA but more refreshing, a nice pine taste, a bit more fruity, not as full body and complex. Almost exactly like Russian River's Pliny the Elder, which rated 100 here. I give this Stone Go To IPA 100 overall.

Absolutely world class!

4.89/5  rDev +23.5%

Picked up a 6 pack from Chuck's hop shop downtown Seattle. Bottled less than 2 weeks ago.

A: Fantastic, like enjoy by, very clear very light, poured into a Dogfish Heaed IPA glass, decent carbonation. 1 finger thick creamy white head. Looks beautiful.

S: WOW, FRESH HOPS, similar to enjoy by, fruity, citrusy, grapefruit. Smells great, just a very fresh clean grapefruit hoppy nose.

T: This is a fantastic IPA, and ONLY 4.5% my god the only thing that is holding me back from consuming a 6 pack of this daily this summer is the price....$13 for a sixer..?? The taste is fantastic, there's a breadiness off the bat followed by hops/grapefruit/orange, taste similar to enjoy by.

M: Perfect, just the right amount of carbonation. Not to heavy and not too light. I am a golfer and usually I will bring out a sixer of torpedo or even Stone's IPA, and after 2-3 they just get so bitter and as they warm up its just almost uncomfortable to drink. But these babies are so smooth and light yet so flavorful it's amazing. I am definitely getting that onion/garlic breadiness that enjoy by has. This is a great beer Stone I am wowed.

10/10, best session IPA out there. Bring it on Easy Jack.

4.87/5  rDev +23%

So I have two ways of thinking on a beer review. What was the goal and did they meet it. The other being do I love this beer? With Stone Go to IPA they're naming it something pretty darn epic. A beer that I should ALWAYS go to? That's lofty. Add in they want this to be session worth and be an IPA? Founders did an ok job with all day ipa, it was good, not great. However stone already makes one of the best damn beers under 5% with Levitation so can they make a hoppier and better version?

Well, I'll end the suspense. This is hands down the best beer under 5% I've ever had. This beer is simply amazing. Exploding "bursts" of grape fruit hops, so amazingly fruity with just enough malt to keep it from during and without so much bitterness as to turn to beer into a bittery water mix.

The amazingly clean golden body....creamy mouth feel.

Look, I could write more but here's all a review needs to say. This is very possibly my favorite beer not named bourbon county stout and without a doubt my new go to beer. It's not a 10% super complex monster. It's just an amazing beer that I can have many of without losing control and it's so amazingly tasty I just might do that often!

Stone....you have made up for the total utter SHIT beers that raped my wallet called Crime and Punishment. And I'll be honest, I didn't think that was possible!.

4.86/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Served: On tap.

Appearance: Transparent amber, 1 inch head faded to lacing after a few minutes

Smell: VERY fragrant hops - citrus and floral. My favorite part of this beer.

Taste: Medium bitterness for an IPA. Much less bitter than I was expected based on the smell. Aftertaste fades pretty quickly.

Mouthfeel: Above average carbonation and very little thickness give a very crisp feel. Very refreshing.

Overall: Great refreshing IPA! There are not any aspects that I would change, but the nose really steals the show!

4.85/5  rDev +22.5%

Bottle. Didn't check best by date. Fantastic clarity. Huge tropical and pine hop aroma. Strong bitterness and excellent hop flavor. Slightly thin, but that tends to come with the style. Amazing beer.

4.84/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Strong hops flavor with low EtOH makes this a great summer beer. It has a unique citrus flavor. On opening there was very little "pffft" which resulted in a small head on pouring into a frozen beer glass. It's one of my favorite IPAs so far...

4.83/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A delicious, fruit-forward, light IPA. Enjoyed out of the bottle. It poured very clear into the glass, almost a pilsner light. The mouthfeel was also light, but as that fits super-well with the style, so I like it. The kind of beer to have when I'm having ... anything, really. The flavor is mostly citrus, with some light grassiness for good measure. Hoppy, but not overly bitter. I would get this again, for sure, would like to find on tap.

4.82/5  rDev +21.7%

Vintage: 2014
Appearance: Transparent Golden Straw; White, bubbly head; Zero Lace
Smell: Dank; Pine; Nectarine; Resinous
Taste: Dank; Pine; Peach; Orange Rind; Lingering bitterness
Mouth-feel: Low to medium carbonation; light body; Hollow middle ground; resinous finish
Overall: Really good SIPA; The hop-bursting is apparent in the aroma and flavour complexity

4.81/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is a great brew! At the store just a minute ago, it was a coin toss between this or a local brewery. Nah I'll go with Stone lol

4.78/5  rDev +20.7%

City's nose and a dry mouthfeel. Intense hoppy citrus aroma and a hop forward flavour. A new favorite

4.77/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

On tap this is one of the all time best ipas available

4.75/5  rDev +19.9%

Poured from the bottle into a standard pint glass on a hot summer day.

Beer poured a very nice golden, with a touch of amber. A white sudsy 1.5-2 finger head sat on top.

Aroma - The resulting head and carbonation really gives the hops from this beer their time to shine. From opening the bottle I could revel in the glorious fragrance. This may be a low ABV IPA, but a Stone IPA, none the less.

Taste - From the strong nose, the flavors carry over quite nicely. This one doesn't let you down as the hops have a rounded out flavor where the other session IPA's are lacking. It has the high citrus bright hops, and the low dank hop notes that are desirable in an IPA. Winner winner, chicken dinner.

Mouthfeel: great carbonation with this brew, and allows the hops to showcase their stuff. On the light side but full flavor.

Overall - Of all the session IPA's, this is my favorite. This is exactly what a session IPA should be. Bravo.

4.75/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

As a person who is really starting to fall in love with sessions. This is the apex predator of the lot.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is simply one of the most sessionable sessions in session history. Hoppier than many non-session IPAs. Citrusy, acidic, bight hops, up front and in back. No malt balance -- screw that. Probably the best sub-5% APV beer I've ever had. I want to marry it. As usual, Stone delivers.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Outstanding color and smell if you like hops and fruit. I have been waiting for this consistency for a long time. Others want more alcohol, but as it is a "go to" session beer, I have no problem with the 4.7. I do have an issue with the price. It is $10 a six pack? Maybe the hops are expensive, but it seems high for low alcohol content. However, it is a GREAT refreshing brew for those of us wanting crazy citrus flavor and a satisfying, non metal aftertaste.

4.74/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz bottle poured into an imperial pint.
4.5% ABV, Enjoy by 05/21/14

A - Bright pale golden yellow in color, Go To IPA is a perfectly clear beer that foams up with a tall white head, which leaves sheet after sheet of lacing left on the pint glass!

S - Abundant in refreshing, vibrant hop aromatics, Stone's Go To IPA overflows with a citrus and tropical fruit injection of ripe tangerines, lemon oil, white grapes, balled mango, and apricot jam spread across a toasted English muffin. Perfection!

T - Light pale malt makes for a simple base that steps out of the way for the lovely lupulin-filled hops to do their thing but, while the aroma bursts with hops, the flavor is just a bit more subdued. Grassy undertones compliment the lemony presence that's haunted by the ghosts of the tropical fruit aromatics.

M - A kiss of honey flavor leaves some sweetness lingering across the tongue but the showcase of Go To IPA is it's sessionability; crisp, clean, and smooth, this IPA bows out with light dry hop bitterness that finishes with perfection.

O - Stone's love for the lupulin knows no bounds; I'm just surprised it's taken one of the masters of the hop this long to make a session IPA! Stone certainly perfected the beer before unleashing it, however. From it's bright, aromatic hop nose to the incredibly sessionable taste and crisp, drinkable body, Stone Go To IPA can certainly be one of my go-to session IPAs!

4.74/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My go to beer, hands down. The 4.5% ABV allows me to drink as often as I want. Nose is excellent as is the tease. A no brainer for me.

Stone Go To IPA from Stone Brewing Co.