Stone Go To IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Go To IPAStone Go To IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

It's no secret we helped create and popularize West Coast style IPAs (since 1997), Double IPAs (since 2000) & Triple IPAs (since 2006). In fact, IPAs of every ilk imaginable are our bread and (hop) butter at Stone Brewing Co., but we'll be the first to admit that a night of subsisting solely on big IPAs can be a short one. Enter Stone Go To IPA, our session IPA, boasting all the gloriously bitter, citrusy, piney flavor of our bigger / industrial-strength IPAs, but with a significantly lower alcohol-by-volume (4.5%) allowing IPA fans like us to enjoy more of this amazingly, hoppy beer over a longer session, without giving up any of that gloriously crave-able botanically-driven dankness. Well, OK, when you compare to our bigger IPAs you find that you give up some, as that's what happens when you dramatically lower the abv. And while we work hard to bend the time/space/abv intensity continuum, we've admittedly not yet learned to break it. This comes damn close though.

(Beer added by: dwagner003 on 02-03-2014)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Go To IPA Alström Bros

I am truly grateful for this beer. Best session beer ever. As someone previously stated, Stone is "f*** you" to balance. Well, that's not entirely fair to say, but bless them for the times that they are. I don't want balance, I don't want malt. I want hops. This beer is crisp, effervescent, honest from glorious-start-to-shining-finish hops. No sweet ending from too much alcohol to spoil the fun. Herbs, grass, citrus, sunshine fill the mouth and soul. I imagine myself running in slow motion, Sound of Music style, through a hop vineyard on a sunny Willamette Valley day, a wreath of wild chamomile adorning my head. Green everywhere, save for some wild daisies scattered about.

A refreshing summer brew, a soothing nightcap. Low alcohol so I can enjoy it any time. I am grateful. Screw balance. Call me unsophisticated, but my love affair with IPAs started with Bridgeport plenty of years ago and I've "evolved" to desire less and less 'balance' over time. I want a malt rating added to beer labels. I want mandatory dating on bottles. I'm sick of having to take my chances with beers that have gothic-sounding names/labels and promise to deliver some transcending hop experience. I want IBUs to mean something to my palate.

I love everything about this beer. As for balanced, complex beers...bah! I chew hop flowers and suck pine needles for pleasure.

Stone Go To IPA from Stone Brewing Co.