Stone Go To IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Go To IPAStone Go To IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

It's no secret we helped create and popularize West Coast style IPAs (since 1997), Double IPAs (since 2000) & Triple IPAs (since 2006). In fact, IPAs of every ilk imaginable are our bread and (hop) butter at Stone Brewing Co., but we'll be the first to admit that a night of subsisting solely on big IPAs can be a short one. Enter Stone Go To IPA, our session IPA, boasting all the gloriously bitter, citrusy, piney flavor of our bigger / industrial-strength IPAs, but with a significantly lower alcohol-by-volume (4.5%) allowing IPA fans like us to enjoy more of this amazingly, hoppy beer over a longer session, without giving up any of that gloriously crave-able botanically-driven dankness. Well, OK, when you compare to our bigger IPAs you find that you give up some, as that's what happens when you dramatically lower the abv. And while we work hard to bend the time/space/abv intensity continuum, we've admittedly not yet learned to break it. This comes damn close though.

(Beer added by: dwagner003 on 02-03-2014)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Go To IPA Alström Bros

RuinDees, Aug 18, 2014

Chimmy, Aug 27, 2014
1.8/5  rDev -54.5%

hxchase, Sep 07, 2014
1.81/5  rDev -54.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

I've been on a sessionable IPA kick lately, and greatly enjoy Daytime IPA from Lagunitas, a beer that is low in ABV, hoppy, balanced, and very drinkable. I was looking forward to trying Stone's entry into the sessionable IPA arena. What a disappointment! This beer (or at least the batch I got) suffers from a serious case of isovaleric acid off flavor. Isovaleric acid compounds are usually due to using stale or poorly stored hops, and result in off flavors best described as "cheesy". Sadly this is the dominant flavor and aroma on offer here - nasty, stale cheese. Not pleasant in the least, and definitely not what I expected. Drain pour I'm afraid.

od_sf, Mar 22, 2014
1.85/5  rDev -53.3%

A: Clear straw golden nice carbonation and head. pretty.

S: Citrusy and a bit tropical

T: WOW straight garlic onions. I thought i put 10 raw onions in my mouth. Just nasty. I've never understood people saying they taste onion in beer now I do. Just disgusting.

M: Light bodied as expected.

O: A uniquely horrible experience.

Givemebeer, Mar 29, 2014

thefluker, Jul 02, 2014

thereal_adam, Jun 04, 2014

jbierling, Jun 21, 2014
2.4/5  rDev -39.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Attention beer companies: I am not going to consume your product if you don't have clear dates as to when they should be enjoyed by.

This is relevant because of another bottle date mishap today. I exchanged for this after returning my Lagunitas Hop Stoopid bomber which had a metallic taste to it. I had to call Lagunitas itself. Oh, so the bottle is dark, and there is dark etching somewhere at the neck, and the numbers mean what? "Can I put you on hold? Uh, no." The grocery store wasn't much help, either. No, Miss Cashier, the bottling expiration date was April 5th, and today is June 16th, so it isn't still good, despite the original concept behind the IPA.

So, I exchanged the Lagunitas for this. This is not Stone's best offering. It is very unbalanced, because they hop burst to keep the piney grapefruit notes, but there is very little backbone to balance it out by keeping the ABV down. The result is an unbalanced bottle of bitter grapefruit juice. I actually would not have hop bursted at the end with this, since it really throws things off.

While I applaud the concept of trying to make low ABV to accompany the big flavor you find in higher Stone ABV brews, it simply isn't well executed in the Go To IPA.

It's actually also pretty bad for the Stone IPA that this is actually a better beer, for all it's balance issues. My experience with Stone Brewery has been quite enigmatic. They either screw the prom queen, or screw the pooch, and there really isn't much in between.

dave39, Jun 16, 2014
2.43/5  rDev -38.6%

appearance; light straw, decent amount of white head. lots of bubbles

smell; citrus, some light herbs as well

taste; hints of herb and citrus, and an overwhelming bitter flavor.

mouthfeel; very dry, light body.

overall; way too bitter, and almost nothing else.

SteveB24, Apr 10, 2014

MaltGoblin, Jul 22, 2014

sean_paul, Tuesday at 04:17 AM

Jenessa, Jun 01, 2014

Moose90, Today at 05:54 AM
Stone Go To IPA from Stone Brewing Co.