Stone Go To IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Go To IPAStone Go To IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: dwagner003 on 02-03-2014

It's no secret we helped create and popularize West Coast style IPAs (since 1997), Double IPAs (since 2000) & Triple IPAs (since 2006). In fact, IPAs of every ilk imaginable are our bread and (hop) butter at Stone Brewing Co., but we'll be the first to admit that a night of subsisting solely on big IPAs can be a short one. Enter Stone Go To IPA, our session IPA, boasting all the gloriously bitter, citrusy, piney flavor of our bigger / industrial-strength IPAs, but with a significantly lower alcohol-by-volume (4.5%) allowing IPA fans like us to enjoy more of this amazingly, hoppy beer over a longer session, without giving up any of that gloriously crave-able botanically-driven dankness. Well, OK, when you compare to our bigger IPAs you find that you give up some, as that's what happens when you dramatically lower the abv. And while we work hard to bend the time/space/abv intensity continuum, we've admittedly not yet learned to break it. This comes damn close though.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,786 | Reviews: 363
3.84/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

RB

Had this one a couple of times but finally getting around to reviewing one of the last bottles left in my fridge... Picked this up at the COOP a couple weeks ago.. Pours a crystal clear golden with a short lived white head.

Nose is huge hop-forward tropical fruits with plenty of pithy citrus zest for so little malt backbone.. almost too much, but I really like it nonetheless.

This tastes like my idea of summertime brews! Very hoppy and still balanced.. bitterness melts back fast into the pithy hops with just enough melon and finishes back bitter with a dry pale maltiness...

Light body... nice bubble... incredibly drinkable especially for Stone..

3.5/3.75/4/3.75/3.75

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

4.22/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I decided to give Stone another chance. Maybe it was old, maybe it was me, circumstances of a vast array can make you love or hate a beer or for anything for that matter. I consider myself someone who can handle the IBU's I like hoppy beers and had some monsters that I loved. Which brings me to my point, I tried Arrogant Bastard and hated it, this was before my reviewing days so I may revisit it. I have been hearing a lot from friends and various other sources that the Enjoy By series is something I should try, I have two 4/20/14's in the fridge as we speak, but today I also ran across a six pack of this stuff it was on sale for $10, so I figured what the hell, I can go home this weekend watch the Masters and try a variety of brews and since this one is only 4.5% something I can get into. Now to the review, wow, I was really impressed. It has a lot of wonderful hop flavor and aroma without too much assertive bitterness with a very pleasant drinkability. Its pale, not really an IPA more of just a PA but its really good and if it were in the $8-9 range I could see myself drinking this frequently, but as I said it was on sale for $10 and that was down from $12. At $12 I can find better stuff, it was worth seeking out, and the price point was good, today, but they need to work on that a bit. Which is my only complaint. I think the ratings above are close to right on, but I would maybe move it up to low 90's.

3.25/5  rDev -17.9%

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

2.48/5  rDev -37.4%

appearance; light straw, decent amount of white head. lots of bubbles

smell; citrus, some light herbs as well

taste; hints of herb and citrus, and an overwhelming bitter flavor.

mouthfeel; very dry, light body.

overall; way too bitter, and almost nothing else.

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

4.18/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle.

Pours sparkling gold with a tight, short head of white that settles to a partial skim coat and plenty of torn lacing.

Aromatics are pungent and dank. Some tropical fruit in the back but this beer is pretty much straight ahead dank and Citra-like.

Light to medium bodied with a crisp, tacky mouth feel. Resinous.

A carpet-bombing of palate-slapping hops opens the eyes and demands respect from your mouth. A solid, almost bracing bitterness with loads of dank weed and resin begs to remind ones self that this beer is only 4.5% abv. Zero malt to balance.

Finishes with a lingering bitterness, dank hops, and burps filled with hoppy revisits.

A great beer and screamingly fresh at this point. Unfortunately, at $12.00 a sixer though, this beer will NOT be my "Go To IPA".

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Stone Go To IPA from Stone Brewing Co.