Stone Go To IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Go To IPAStone Go To IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: dwagner003 on 02-03-2014

It's no secret we helped create and popularize West Coast style IPAs (since 1997), Double IPAs (since 2000) & Triple IPAs (since 2006). In fact, IPAs of every ilk imaginable are our bread and (hop) butter at Stone Brewing Co., but we'll be the first to admit that a night of subsisting solely on big IPAs can be a short one. Enter Stone Go To IPA, our session IPA, boasting all the gloriously bitter, citrusy, piney flavor of our bigger / industrial-strength IPAs, but with a significantly lower alcohol-by-volume (4.5%) allowing IPA fans like us to enjoy more of this amazingly, hoppy beer over a longer session, without giving up any of that gloriously crave-able botanically-driven dankness. Well, OK, when you compare to our bigger IPAs you find that you give up some, as that's what happens when you dramatically lower the abv. And while we work hard to bend the time/space/abv intensity continuum, we've admittedly not yet learned to break it. This comes damn close though.
Reviews: 363 | Hads: 3,009
4.01/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Ok, have to admit I didn't read the label and thought I was drinking a bigger beer.
Really on the money flavour and body wise for the ABV.
Very much an IPA not an APA as well. Little too much pine for this palate but certainly west coast style with grapefruit.
Nice (265 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I've put off, and put off, trying a session IPA. The idea has just always struck me as a little weird. My biggest concern was that it would feature a strangely thin body for a hoppy-tasting brew. But given my expectations, I was impressed with this. Nice piney aroma, good lacing, a little bitter on the end, but with a solid body. If you can accept this as a legit style, then I don't know how much more you can hope for from one. This was a good drink. (454 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

-light in color and a large head with larger bubbles , slight haze
- bright citrus laden hops
- water with mellow citrus hops, bright and light
-smooth but very light
- a great session style beer! great flavor just hoped it would have less of a watered down taste, but it may just be my palate being used to stones above average ibus (334 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Gold in color with nice lacing. Grapefruity floral aroma hops hit the nose followed by... wait you cant follow up those massive hop aromas. This is a nice summer beer with strong bittering hops that finish subtly with grapefruit. (229 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -37%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I don't really get the high rating on this one, it is like every other session ipa i have tried; watered down, weak, and lacking any flavor other than a one noted bitterness. Take Stone off the bottle and put to a blind taste test and i would put money on this one getting a lower rating.

Don't get me wrong I have greatly enjoyed other Stone beers, but unwarranted inflation of a beers scores based on brand is annoying.

Would not seek out or purchase again. (462 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured clear pail gold with a modest creamy off white head, leaving spotty lacing.

Crisp citrus with grapefruit out front, but far more subtle than one would expect from an IPA.

Bitter grapefruit through the opening to the finish. A bit of a single note, but a good note it is.

Medium body, well carbonated, and no hint the alcohol is below 5%.

This low abv thing is an interesting and welcome new trend. Especially knowing that fully developed flavors can be achieved, I think this is an excellent market move for breweries. I enjoyed this with grilled cheese and sundried tomato bisque. (647 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is relatively clear pale yellow in color and has a light amount of carbonation. It poured with a two finger high white head that has good retention properties that consistently left a finger high head covering the surface.
S: Light aromas of citrus are present in the nose.
T: The taste has light to moderate flavors of grapefruit hops and a light amount of associate bitterness.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This IPA is certainly very easy to drink, but seems to be over carbonated and isn't as flavorful as some of the other top "session IPAs".

Serving type: bottle (651 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look: A nice golden color with a good white head that leaves good lacing

Smell: Pine and citrus hops

Taste: Pine and citrus hops, light caramel and biscuit malts, balanced bitterness

Feel: Light body, crisp carb

Overall: One of the best session IPAs I've had, doesn't disappoint and it feels like stone (306 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Blah! Disappointed. And I like Stone, so I gave it a try, but session beers are clearly not gonna be my thing any time soon. Too faint and low abv - there was some malt and hop to it, no doubt, but just sad. (207 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

An excellent session IPA. Does not fall short in the flavor department. Have read a few negative reviews and believe that FRESH is the key to enjoying this beer and many IPAs. (177 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -6.8%

I bought this beer in a retailer here in México, it´s at least 4 months old (maybe more) and it was ok, not bad but no so great either. I´ve tried a couple of stone beers here in Mexico and both have been very disappointing, I must try one in the US. (253 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Stone "Go To IPA"
12 oz. brown glass bottle, "ENJOY BY 05/0515"

Stone "Go To IPA"... should be an easy one, right? Let's see. Typical IPA appearance although perhaps a little more "golden" than might have been expected. Slightly hazy, but probably from dry-hopping, so no complaints there. The head retention and lacing seem quite good. On to the aroma: pungent, resinous, citrusy - actually quite dank... interesting. The flavor is also a bit pungent and resinous, as well as piney, but there's also much more citrus present than the nose let on (grapefruit, tangerine, lemon). I thought to myself, "if there's no malt going on beyond these hops, that'll still be OK for me", and it's kind of true - both for myself, and within the malt, which is somewhat biscuity but really just basic. Hmmm. I wish I hadn't thought that, because now I have a conundrum... is it OK with such a basic malt, or do I need more to support those intense hop flavors? Or does the malt allow those hop flavors to do what they want and just go to town? In the end I guess that's a question that really can't be answered. This has the bombastic hops of a bigger IPA, but the base of a much simpler IPA... it kind of leaves me looking for the malt of an "average" Stone IPA... but then I don't quite get the hops... so it's a trade-off - other than going to a bigger IPA (with much more alcohol) I'm a little bit stuck with one or the other... hmmm??? What I'll say then is that it's a welcome addition to the Stone line-up that has it's time and place. I'll gladly have more of these in the future, and I'll have plenty of other Stone IPAs as well, but for something like a 5 or 6 hour long deep sea fishing voyage these'll do just fine and I won't wake up as we return to dock covered in fish guts and empty crushed cans of Bud Light! (Not that that has ever happened!) (1,848 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

L - Lightly hazed, bronze-y gold. Trickling bubble curtain near edge of glass. 2 finger white head, dissipated to light film on top. Left substantial lacing without drinking after settling.

S - *Its cold season but I did get some in sniffer* Smelled citrus up front. Orange and grapefruit notes. No alcohol smell, maybe just a tid; not anything like some other IPAs from Stone. Smells clean and crisp.

T - Refreshing. The notes I picked up are registering. The initial taste is sweet and sort of like taking a bite into a grapefruit near the end of the drink. Very easy IPA on the upfront and the back. Tinge of the hoppiness near the end but not nearly like what one would be used to from the other Stone variety. Tame compared to the other stronger brothers. Tastes clean, crisp and earthy.

M - It flows over the palate with light carbonation. The smells all were clear upon first taste. Washed over my tongue with ease, no noticeable IPA bite until after swallowing. Very light numbing hop taste near the end of a drink. Its delightful. Very easy. Could have had a bit more carbonation, but it didn't make me burpy. So that was a big plus.

This is a winner. I would say that overall, this is a very tame but manageable IPA. Even for someone with little education about the style could probably get away with trying this and not regretting it. As for the rest of the beer fans, this is an ideal session brew. Its not sneaky in the ways some other more boisterous IPA's are, its honest but not boring. Its charismatic. Clearly an IPA, but not overly bitter or confident in the hops area. Very delighted with this one. Possibly one of my favorite IPA's to date. Its good cold, not necessary to let it warm up in my experience. Drink up.

I will buy this again, and also suggest it to others that are new to different beer styles. (1,835 characters)

I know it seems ridiculous to rate anything 5/5, but I absolutely love this IPA. I'm forever embarrassing myself drinking a higher gravity beer. The description "admittedly" sacrifices flavor for a lower ABV. Not to me. Super piney. Tastes and smells like weed, actually. Ha. I often find double and imperial IPAs to be too sweet. This is perfect. Hoppy and dry. It's hard to catch a buzz drinking it, but that's what whiskey's for. Cheers! (440 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is a great beer. Poured into a pilsner glass. Finger head dissipates fairly quickly. Light amber color. Smells floral. Tastes kinda bitter like any other hoppy IPA but has a nice citrus-y thing going on. Not bad bitter just enough to add character. Reminds me of grapefruit juice but in a good way. (303 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -0.3%

I drank it in the bottle. Immediately I could smell notes of grapefruit, lots of them. Has a bitter like grapefruit aftertaste and it is very carbonated. Not a bad IPA 4/5 (171 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Really enjoyed this "session IPA" .... Not much is lost in terms of taste and "hoppy-ness" with significantly lower ABV. I'll return to this beer for sure. (156 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A-A bodacious blonde and orange hue with moderate carbonation

S-An effervescent range of citrus and floral aromas with a strong grapefruit notes

T-A light pleasant start but it quickly releases tons of citrus and floral character. While it provides some mild bitterness, it delivers then a clean finish. This beer has some of the strongest and well defined citrus and orange notes I have ever tasted in an IPA.

M-Offers a rather light malt presence and lingering citrus notes with moderate carbonation.

O-Certainly a hoppy IPA with character, and if I am looking for a rush of citrus I am going to pick this one. No doubt, a very good session IPA.

O- (656 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a nonic glass.

Beautiful golden color with plenty of small bubbles. Small head of foam that dissipated rather quickly. Some light lacing.

Strong hop aroma with floral notes.

Hoppy with a light taste of peaches. Surprisingly mild bitterness given the strong smells. Grassy, barnyard flavors in the aftertaste.

Well balanced IPA that is as the bottle says quite sessionable. The floral notes tend to overpower any of the more subtle fruity flavors. (485 characters)

On tap at Craft, Vancouver.
Hazy dark lemon with pocked snowy crust. 4
Big Citra musty grapefruit nose. 4
Hint of breadstick but then giant lemon curd, unripe pineapple and pine needle hops. 4
Lemon Starburst finish and herbal linger.
Halfway to medium, crisp, slight cling. 4

Lemon balm! Both herb and citrus; Citra doesn’t get out of control. A bit thin, natch. 3rd best session IPA behind All Day and Daytime. 4 (419 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Stone Go To Session IPA

Appearance: pale yellow in color, no head to speak of. [2.5]

Aroma: subdued version of taste. [3.5]

Taste: Melon and Mango. Somewhat earthy-dank flavor takes over (grapefruit, grass). Very subdued malt flavor (if any). Strong bitterness for a small beer. [4]

Feel: Pretty thin, somewhat lingering bitterness. Carbonation is good and let's the ingredients do the talking. [4.25]

Overall: A little disappointing per Stone's pedigree. A good beer no doubt, but nothing particularly special about this one. [3.75] (538 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -12.1%

Pale straw color. 2 finger head dissipates quick.

Aroma gives Big bursts of grapefruit and florel hops. Big citrus notes.

Taste is dissapointing... I guess I should have guessed. The beer is pretty watery. I get primarily bittering hops at the end. Off-tasting lingering flavor. A kiss of citrus.

Overall I would take one of stones regular IPA's for three of these sessions. Just pick up a regular ipa!!! I would pair this with simple sautéed broccoli rob with garlic and Calabrian chile. It gets a 70/100. (510 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +2%

It's a straight across 4, about a tie with my "other favorite" brewer, my local, Carton, which makes Boat Beer. (and I'd give a close nod to Saucony Session IPA).

I give this beer a 4.25 overall for being a flavorful, true session APA with plenty of bite, bitter, and complexity. If I had to drink beer all day long, any of these would be for me.
(However, local is best for lots of reasons including it comes in cans, it's green, supports local economy, and it's fresh.)

A: Pours a hazy light amber with lots of visible carbonation. It pours into a tulip with a finger of head and leaves scads of dotty lacing.
S: Plentiful aromas of grapefruit, herbal hops and pine resin, stronger as the beer warms. Pleasantly hoppy.
T: Follows the smell but the pine resin kicks in stronger and longer. More complexity and a good finish of bitterness. A nice sweet malt under layer, but hops win.
F: It is light-bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Best feel of the pack.

O: Extremely flavorful. Must try. (1,010 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Reviews were all over the place so I had to give it a try. Aroma was super strong, tons of citrus notes. Taste was great. This might be my new session beer! Super smooth, no bitterness. (185 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Very good. Hesitated trying for a while due to lower reviews and low abv. It is really good. Tastes like lighter version of enjoy by to me. Has those mango grapefruit notes that enjoy by blasts out that ipa and ruin lack, but a little more subtle /watered down. Very good. (272 characters)

Stone Go To IPA from Stone Brewing Co.