Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Stone Go To IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Go To IPAStone Go To IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: dwagner003 on 02-03-2014

It's no secret we helped create and popularize West Coast style IPAs (since 1997), Double IPAs (since 2000) & Triple IPAs (since 2006). In fact, IPAs of every ilk imaginable are our bread and (hop) butter at Stone Brewing Co., but we'll be the first to admit that a night of subsisting solely on big IPAs can be a short one. Enter Stone Go To IPA, our session IPA, boasting all the gloriously bitter, citrusy, piney flavor of our bigger / industrial-strength IPAs, but with a significantly lower alcohol-by-volume (4.5%) allowing IPA fans like us to enjoy more of this amazingly, hoppy beer over a longer session, without giving up any of that gloriously crave-able botanically-driven dankness. Well, OK, when you compare to our bigger IPAs you find that you give up some, as that's what happens when you dramatically lower the abv. And while we work hard to bend the time/space/abv intensity continuum, we've admittedly not yet learned to break it. This comes damn close though.
Reviews: 379 | Hads: 3,100
3.78/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

An excellent session IPA. Does not fall short in the flavor department. Have read a few negative reviews and believe that FRESH is the key to enjoying this beer and many IPAs.

3.7/5  rDev -6.6%

I bought this beer in a retailer here in México, it´s at least 4 months old (maybe more) and it was ok, not bad but no so great either. I´ve tried a couple of stone beers here in Mexico and both have been very disappointing, I must try one in the US.

3.87/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Stone "Go To IPA"
12 oz. brown glass bottle, "ENJOY BY 05/0515"

Stone "Go To IPA"... should be an easy one, right? Let's see. Typical IPA appearance although perhaps a little more "golden" than might have been expected. Slightly hazy, but probably from dry-hopping, so no complaints there. The head retention and lacing seem quite good. On to the aroma: pungent, resinous, citrusy - actually quite dank... interesting. The flavor is also a bit pungent and resinous, as well as piney, but there's also much more citrus present than the nose let on (grapefruit, tangerine, lemon). I thought to myself, "if there's no malt going on beyond these hops, that'll still be OK for me", and it's kind of true - both for myself, and within the malt, which is somewhat biscuity but really just basic. Hmmm. I wish I hadn't thought that, because now I have a conundrum... is it OK with such a basic malt, or do I need more to support those intense hop flavors? Or does the malt allow those hop flavors to do what they want and just go to town? In the end I guess that's a question that really can't be answered. This has the bombastic hops of a bigger IPA, but the base of a much simpler IPA... it kind of leaves me looking for the malt of an "average" Stone IPA... but then I don't quite get the hops... so it's a trade-off - other than going to a bigger IPA (with much more alcohol) I'm a little bit stuck with one or the other... hmmm??? What I'll say then is that it's a welcome addition to the Stone line-up that has it's time and place. I'll gladly have more of these in the future, and I'll have plenty of other Stone IPAs as well, but for something like a 5 or 6 hour long deep sea fishing voyage these'll do just fine and I won't wake up as we return to dock covered in fish guts and empty crushed cans of Bud Light! (Not that that has ever happened!)

4.48/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

L - Lightly hazed, bronze-y gold. Trickling bubble curtain near edge of glass. 2 finger white head, dissipated to light film on top. Left substantial lacing without drinking after settling.

S - *Its cold season but I did get some in sniffer* Smelled citrus up front. Orange and grapefruit notes. No alcohol smell, maybe just a tid; not anything like some other IPAs from Stone. Smells clean and crisp.

T - Refreshing. The notes I picked up are registering. The initial taste is sweet and sort of like taking a bite into a grapefruit near the end of the drink. Very easy IPA on the upfront and the back. Tinge of the hoppiness near the end but not nearly like what one would be used to from the other Stone variety. Tame compared to the other stronger brothers. Tastes clean, crisp and earthy.

M - It flows over the palate with light carbonation. The smells all were clear upon first taste. Washed over my tongue with ease, no noticeable IPA bite until after swallowing. Very light numbing hop taste near the end of a drink. Its delightful. Very easy. Could have had a bit more carbonation, but it didn't make me burpy. So that was a big plus.

This is a winner. I would say that overall, this is a very tame but manageable IPA. Even for someone with little education about the style could probably get away with trying this and not regretting it. As for the rest of the beer fans, this is an ideal session brew. Its not sneaky in the ways some other more boisterous IPA's are, its honest but not boring. Its charismatic. Clearly an IPA, but not overly bitter or confident in the hops area. Very delighted with this one. Possibly one of my favorite IPA's to date. Its good cold, not necessary to let it warm up in my experience. Drink up.

I will buy this again, and also suggest it to others that are new to different beer styles.

I know it seems ridiculous to rate anything 5/5, but I absolutely love this IPA. I'm forever embarrassing myself drinking a higher gravity beer. The description "admittedly" sacrifices flavor for a lower ABV. Not to me. Super piney. Tastes and smells like weed, actually. Ha. I often find double and imperial IPAs to be too sweet. This is perfect. Hoppy and dry. It's hard to catch a buzz drinking it, but that's what whiskey's for. Cheers!

4.39/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is a great beer. Poured into a pilsner glass. Finger head dissipates fairly quickly. Light amber color. Smells floral. Tastes kinda bitter like any other hoppy IPA but has a nice citrus-y thing going on. Not bad bitter just enough to add character. Reminds me of grapefruit juice but in a good way.

3.96/5  rDev 0%

I drank it in the bottle. Immediately I could smell notes of grapefruit, lots of them. Has a bitter like grapefruit aftertaste and it is very carbonated. Not a bad IPA 4/5

3.91/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Really enjoyed this "session IPA" .... Not much is lost in terms of taste and "hoppy-ness" with significantly lower ABV. I'll return to this beer for sure.

4.19/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A-A bodacious blonde and orange hue with moderate carbonation

S-An effervescent range of citrus and floral aromas with a strong grapefruit notes

T-A light pleasant start but it quickly releases tons of citrus and floral character. While it provides some mild bitterness, it delivers then a clean finish. This beer has some of the strongest and well defined citrus and orange notes I have ever tasted in an IPA.

M-Offers a rather light malt presence and lingering citrus notes with moderate carbonation.

O-Certainly a hoppy IPA with character, and if I am looking for a rush of citrus I am going to pick this one. No doubt, a very good session IPA.

4.02/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a nonic glass.

Beautiful golden color with plenty of small bubbles. Small head of foam that dissipated rather quickly. Some light lacing.

Strong hop aroma with floral notes.

Hoppy with a light taste of peaches. Surprisingly mild bitterness given the strong smells. Grassy, barnyard flavors in the aftertaste.

Well balanced IPA that is as the bottle says quite sessionable. The floral notes tend to overpower any of the more subtle fruity flavors.

On tap at Craft, Vancouver.
Hazy dark lemon with pocked snowy crust. 4
Big Citra musty grapefruit nose. 4
Hint of breadstick but then giant lemon curd, unripe pineapple and pine needle hops. 4
Lemon Starburst finish and herbal linger.
Halfway to medium, crisp, slight cling. 4

Lemon balm! Both herb and citrus; Citra doesn’t get out of control. A bit thin, natch. 3rd best session IPA behind All Day and Daytime. 4

3.77/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Stone Go To Session IPA

Appearance: pale yellow in color, no head to speak of. [2.5]

Aroma: subdued version of taste. [3.5]

Taste: Melon and Mango. Somewhat earthy-dank flavor takes over (grapefruit, grass). Very subdued malt flavor (if any). Strong bitterness for a small beer. [4]

Feel: Pretty thin, somewhat lingering bitterness. Carbonation is good and let's the ingredients do the talking. [4.25]

Overall: A little disappointing per Stone's pedigree. A good beer no doubt, but nothing particularly special about this one. [3.75]

3.49/5  rDev -11.9%

Pale straw color. 2 finger head dissipates quick.

Aroma gives Big bursts of grapefruit and florel hops. Big citrus notes.

Taste is dissapointing... I guess I should have guessed. The beer is pretty watery. I get primarily bittering hops at the end. Off-tasting lingering flavor. A kiss of citrus.

Overall I would take one of stones regular IPA's for three of these sessions. Just pick up a regular ipa!!! I would pair this with simple sautéed broccoli rob with garlic and Calabrian chile. It gets a 70/100.

4.05/5  rDev +2.3%

It's a straight across 4, about a tie with my "other favorite" brewer, my local, Carton, which makes Boat Beer. (and I'd give a close nod to Saucony Session IPA).

I give this beer a 4.25 overall for being a flavorful, true session APA with plenty of bite, bitter, and complexity. If I had to drink beer all day long, any of these would be for me.
(However, local is best for lots of reasons including it comes in cans, it's green, supports local economy, and it's fresh.)

A: Pours a hazy light amber with lots of visible carbonation. It pours into a tulip with a finger of head and leaves scads of dotty lacing.
S: Plentiful aromas of grapefruit, herbal hops and pine resin, stronger as the beer warms. Pleasantly hoppy.
T: Follows the smell but the pine resin kicks in stronger and longer. More complexity and a good finish of bitterness. A nice sweet malt under layer, but hops win.
F: It is light-bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Best feel of the pack.

O: Extremely flavorful. Must try.

4.36/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Reviews were all over the place so I had to give it a try. Aroma was super strong, tons of citrus notes. Taste was great. This might be my new session beer! Super smooth, no bitterness.

4.58/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Very good. Hesitated trying for a while due to lower reviews and low abv. It is really good. Tastes like lighter version of enjoy by to me. Has those mango grapefruit notes that enjoy by blasts out that ipa and ruin lack, but a little more subtle /watered down. Very good.

3.43/5  rDev -13.4%

Found the beer to be very thin and way over done on the late addition hops. Maybe got a weird batch but the beer is over price with so many other like "bouncy house ipa" out there.

3.99/5  rDev +0.8%

Excellent way to get hop satisfaction without too much alcohol or malt heaviness. I also appreciate that the hops aren't over boiled, so you get those fresh flavors.

In this style, I slightly prefer the floral and citrus flavors of Founders All Day. This has a little of what I would call the West Coast IPA marijuana flavor, which isn't necessarily bad. A matter of personal preference.

On the other hand, this has probably the highest ratio of hop flavors to alcohol and malt heaviness I can think of. So if that's what you're looking for, it's pretty much ideal.

4.26/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Color is gold and has a piney smell.
Taste follows the nose but the citrus flavors comes towards the end with a lingering taste.
Body is light but very drinkable.

3.29/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Aroma- Lemon, pineapple, piney, 4 houses down cut grass. Citrus tropical smack. American light lager dank. Great aroma.

Apperance- Head is barely existent with medium agreesion pour. Urine color slight merkyness.

Flavor- Tingle in front of tounge that opens into suuper pine bitterness. Pure pine taste. Maybe some chewed up stems that open a semi dank flavor. Finishes dry.

Mouthfeel- tingly medium body for a small IPA. Exactly what I want in an IPA

Overall a good bitter session beer. In my opinion it's more bitter then Ruination just not as nearly balanced. Can see myself liking these on a cold fireplace IPA night.

3.85/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bought this as a single 2 mos after the Best By date, such that in guessing its 8mos old.

Still, a tasty drinkable brew. Guessing it'd be even more favorable if it were not so old.

3.96/5  rDev 0%

A 12oz bottle with a BB of Feb 2015. Acquired recently from the Brewdog webshop. A Stone IPA with a reduced ABV for enhanced drinking!

A: Poured into a Duvel tulip. Bottle conditioned. A bright golden-amber hue with faint haze and light carbonation. Produces a huge head of creamy white foam that lasts for a few minutes before reducing to a patchy surface layer. Nice lacing.

S: Aroma of incredibly fruity hops with hints of grapefruit, citrus, white grape, mild melon, subtle pine, grass/hay, caramel malt and earthy yeast. Superb.

T: Tastes of intense aromatic hops with a powerful bitter finish. Notes of grapefruit, orange peel, citrus, pine, white fruits, grass/hay, caramel malt, earthy yeast and stewed hops. Well-attenuated, followed by a strident hoppy bitterness upon swallowing.

M: Mouthfeel is smooth, tingly and dry, with spritzy carbonation and light body. Pretty astringent, accompanied by an aftertaste of bitter aromatic hops, citrus/pine and earthy yeast.

O: Fantastic as always - Stone have the Midas touch. Looks great, while the aroma and flavour are sublimely hoppy. Citrus, pine and fruitiness backed up by subtle malt and yeast notes. Good body. A delight for the palate; well worth sampling if you have the chance.

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very bright gold

Tropical citrus, finishing with a pilsner kind of crisp.

Tatses like you peeled a grapefruit, hand squeezed it, and started chewing on the "skin." Finishes like the nose: more like a pilsner than an IPA. Some well water in there.

Mouthfeel's pretty light, nothing special.

Overall a respectable session beer, just not one I'll purchase again. Founders All-day and FFF Yum Yum are preferable in my region.

4.41/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Grassy, minty hops over light graham cracker and melon on the nose and the palate. Gold with a light haze under a 1” white foam cap that quickly descends to a thick film but produces good lace. Creamy medium body and carbonation. Very easy to drink.

4.85/5  rDev +22.5%

Bottle. Didn't check best by date. Fantastic clarity. Huge tropical and pine hop aroma. Strong bitterness and excellent hop flavor. Slightly thin, but that tends to come with the style. Amazing beer.

Stone Go To IPA from Stone Brewing Co.