Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Stone Imperial Russian Stout - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Imperial Russian StoutStone Imperial Russian Stout

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.60% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-21-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Imperial Russian Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,660 | Hads: 7,813
4.85/5  rDev +11.5%

First off I must say WOW, this one lives up to its hype.

Appearence - Poured motor oil black with a tiny head that went away in seconds.

Smell - Smell is that of coffee and alcohol, alcohol smell was quite powerful.

Taste - A very complex brew, taste starts as coffee and progresses to alcohol and raisin's. In the end I thought I tasted rum raisin which was interesting and quite delightful.

Mouthfeel - Very syrupy. This is one heavy beer, quite rich as well. Extrememly smooth to drink.

Drinkability - Quite exceptional, I dont see myself drinking more then 1 of these in an evening, but that 1 is savored till its last drop. (644 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +12.2%

my christmas eve beer. early summer 2004 release. From the bottle. poured black with a big bubbly brown head that left some lacing. aoma coco bitter sweet chocolate, molasses, a light touch of alcohol as it warm the coffe and dark fruits come out, roasted malts. flavor wooow I can see why this is rated number 2. the first thing that hit the taste buds was the coffee and alcohol than the roasted malts and the sweet berries than along came the chocolate nice mouth feel. would like to get a lot of this stuff (510 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

I think it's my fault - but I simply couldn't get a thick or lasting head in my Stone Imperial Stout glass (couldn't help buying it). What bit I did get was a dark tan that lasted about two seconds. the appearance of the beer otherwise is phenomenal, absolutely the darkest beer I've seen. Zero light gets through. Very sticky, a good swirl leaves a lasting brown sheen on the surface of the glass.

Smell is of nuts and baker's chocolate, with lots of spice zing and a whiff of fruit or citrus. Complex and hard to describe.

Taste is exceptional. So many things going on I can barely describe them. Oily, fruity, cloves, chocolate, coffee. There's a definite alcohol warmth but it's merely the nail in the coffin, sealing it all up. This stuff is GOOD. Taste buds I didn't know I had are standing to attention and rendering a proper salute.

Mouthfeel is similarly wonderful; Carbonation is thin, a few small and tight bubbles that are disinclined to rise, but the beer is so chewy and sticky it's like drinking a heavy wine. You know you're drinking an honest stout.

This beer is quite drinkable for its style; The alcohol content is high but masked by so many other good qualities no faults can be given (as if I'd fault high alcohol content).

This was the last bottle in the store and I'm glad I got it, and its matching glass too. If you see a bottle, snatch it up. (1,383 characters)

Poured from the bottle into a oversized wine goblet. Vintage 2005

Appearance: The beer pours almost a perfect black. The head was a fantastic creamed coffee coloration. Great head retention noted on the beer. The lacing is heavy tan webs down the glass.

Smell: This beer is almost perfect. The smell has loads of darkly roasted coffee and chocolates. Fruity smells float throughout the beer. There is the smell of curants, raisins soaked in rum. There is a very nice spicyness floating in the back of the smell.

Taste: This beer is true to smell. There is massive amounts of chocolatey sweetness. This sweetness is offset by loads and loads of dark char roasted coffee. Dam this is great stuff. There is a nice assortment of fruity goodness floating on all the other great stuff.

Mouthfeel: This beer is very chewy. There is just layer upon layer of great tasting stuff here. This beer is very full bodied. Thanks Stones this is a Imperial Stout that does not fuck the drinker around. I could not ask for anything else in a stout.

Drinkability: Dam this is a good beer. This is a very full bodied, very big balanced treat. Gods of Beer I love this brew! (1,170 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +11%

A HUGE thanks to BA "smchnsgy" for getting me the 05 and 04 version of this beer. This particular rating will be for the 05 version. I may revise it for the 04 version when I crack it open...which speaking of crack....this beer *must* be about as addictive.

Translucent black bottle with the Stone Gargoyle, 2005 limited edition on the bottom, with all sorts of cute references to Czarist Russia hidden in spots around the bottle. Makes for interesting reading while enjoying this beer.

Then the taste. I drank. It was hard not to swallow tears at the same time. The taste was so complex, and literally seemed to change as the beer grew warmer. Some hops to it, mostly

It poured into the glass with the consistency, speed and appearance of motor oil (no kidding). Thick and viscous, with a thin red-brown head that dissipated quickly. The beer did, however, leave a decent lacing around the glass.

I smelled it. I wept a little. I smelled dried fruit, but on the heavier side like dried cranberrys or raisins. Huge toasted malts, like dark rye toast.

As I tasted it, it was hard not to drink tears at the same time. Beautiful. Sweet hops up front, dark chocolate bitterness, a bit of anise seed. As it warmed, some of the dried fruit character became more apparent, as did the bitter dark chocolate become enhanced. So huge and complex.

This is definitely a full bodied beer, about as thick and chewy as I can remember in a long time. Exquisitely drinkable, but really only one at a time. Amazing beer.

Can't wait to see how the "bottle konditioned (nice touch with the 'k,' Stone!)" 2004 version tastes. I may pass out. (1,642 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +11.5%

Stone Imperial Stout (2005 version)

Stone Imperial Stout poured opaque black with a short tan head. Aroma contained notes of chocolate, fruit, and liquorish. I tasted cocoa, fruit, ripe olives and a hint of smoke. The body was viscous and thick with low carbonation.

Deliscious. Rich, thick, flavorful. This stout is worth seeking. (337 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

This beer pours a dark black with brown tones and has a thick tan head that lingers with the entire pour. The smell is of dark chocolate, plums, raisins, black cherries and no alcohal to be smelt. As I tasted this beer the bitterness from the hops kicks to the fore-front as well the malty chocolate essence and finishes sweet caramel and nutty. This beer is so smooth I could drink it all day. (394 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

22 ounce bottle. Stone Imperial Stout chugs out a thick, black color into my Duvel glass. It is topped with a small, dark brown head. The aroma is roasted coffee, licorice, chocolate, and raisins. Huge roasted malt flavor. Sweet, but not overly so. Hoppy in the finish. Perhaps the thickest mouthfeel I've experienced in a beer, but the truly amazing thing is that the drinkability does not suffer for this at all. This beer is very drinkable, and at almost 11% abv. A great beer that lives up to the hype. (506 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +3.9%

Spring 2005 edition

Winter is kicking in full force, time to start drinking the stuff being "saved until winter"

appearance: very dark, motor oil-esque, thin chocolate brown rim, light and creamy lacing. Appearance is pretty good all around but not awe inspiring

smell: rich and full....sweet chocolate, creamy aromas, some dark fruits...a touch of coffee on the nose...very nice

taste: soooo creamy, sweet and rich chocolate, light coffee, roasted malts, some sweet hops in the background, some licorice floating around...alcohol present but not offensive, kind of a brown sugar sweetness

mouthfeel: silky smooth, creamy, light alcohol

drinkability: very drinkable, especially compared to expedition stout or rogue imp (737 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

I've been holding on to several bottles for special occassions, and since I just finished my last final of the fall semester of MBA school, I figure what better time to pop the top.

First off... the pour. This beer is darker than any beer I have ever seen. Pours thick, like the motor oil the bottle speaks to. the head, while fairly small, is a reddish brown that I have never seen before. Gorgeous beer.

As soon as I poured this beer into the glass, the fragrance hit my nose. What a complex aroma! From chocolate to berries and fruit, to a noticeable alcohol aroma, with a bit of toffee thrown in the back end. Wow... amazing odor.

The flavour is just as the smell would have me believe. Extraordinarily complex, and beautifully balanced. Huge toffee notes in the back end of this one. This is preceded by chocolate, vinous berries, and big chunky malt tastes.... simply incredible.... flawless.

As the beer warms, it becomes thicker... extremely thick. OK... not Guinness thick, but then again, that would limit the drinkability wouldn't it. As it is, the mouthfeel is perfectly thick.... you can notice the moderate carbonation and hoppiness on the tongue, but nothing the weight of the beer doesn't overcome.

For a 10.8% beer, I challenge anyone to say this isn't drinkable. Barely perceptable alcohol, perfect weight, wonderful taste. All in all, I have a hard time not giving this one all 5's.... after drinking this beer, I want to go back to all the other Impy Stouts I've tasted (maybe save Storm King) and dock them for producing, in comparison, a mediocre beer.

Wow.... glad I have two more of these in the cellar.... absolutely phenomenal. (1,671 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -19.5%

A: Pours like used motor oil (that's AWESOME). Black, slight redish tinge, tan head... a little retention, lace.

S: Burnt, fruity, bready.

T: Bitter, roasted, tar, molases, black currents. Certainly some depth to the flavour. Bold hop bitterness, initially slightly sweet, with a dry, sherry-like finish that's quite bitter. Did I mention it's bitter?

M: Thick, syrupy.

D: I find it a little harsh.

An interesting brew. Currently rated #2... but I think it'll start to fall as the hop heads come off their Bitter Blitz.

Thanks Len! (549 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -10.3%

I kept on plugging away at the Stone lineup, hoping I'd eventually find one that I actually liked, and appear to have found it. The IRS is, hands down, the best Stone beer I've ever had. Contrary to my other experiences with Stone beers, this one almost achieves a very real balance between alcohol presence, malt sweetness and insane hoppiness, and I feel like I've finally found one of their beers that would improve with age.

Appearance: I like to shop at Uwajimaya, the Asian supermarket here in Seattle. It's a great place to find things like Asian produce, inexpensive soba and all the other crap my wife sends me in for that I can't seem to recall at the moment (I do love me some daikon radish). They also have the single largest soy sauce section I've ever encountered in any store. I like soy sauce just fine, but I'm not sure I like it that much. If I had ever found a bottle of carbonated soy sauce and poured it into a pint glass, it would look exactly like the IRS does. Actually, it also looks just like a ninja wearing coonskin cap (completely impenetrable blackness, with a dark brown head).

Smell: A massive blast of malt and alcohol that is chased out of your nose by this insane soy sauce follow up. I poured it, took a deep sniff and thought i was insane. I handed it to my wife, she did the same and said, "Smells like soy sauce." Nice to know I'm not completely smell-deficient.

Taste: I was a little dubious, and didn't really expect to like it, but I did. Massive alcohol in the front that is balanced by the malty, brown sugary sweetness in the middle, and then that weird salty, soy saucy finish. The hops are there (I get them only when I burp), but they are completely masked by all of the other characteristics of the beer.

Mouthfeel: I like thick, chewy beers, and this is one. I'm only rating it a four, however, because I don't like thick, chewy beers that have a massive alcohol front to them. Makes them seem thicker and more onerous than I like them to be.

Drinkability: I originally had this at a 4, but I'm actually moving it down to a 3.5. The reason for this is that alcohol presence. I was able to finish the bomber, but it took me the better part of two hours. I'm very tempted to buy a bottle of this and toss it in the cellar for a year or so. I bet that it would age very, very well (and would probably change this number score quite a bit). (2,401 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -5.3%

Sampled: 11.25.05

Appearance is muddy black, like dark liquid chocolate. A Brown head with big bubbles sits atop. Opaque. All the way through.

Smell is creamy chocolate and roasted malts & coffee. Initially, it’s sort of what one expects from a big stout like this, but the creaminess gives way to an aroma of ice cream, java chip ice cream! Some barley scents are present as well, and due to mine being a 2004 edition, a little metallic smells crept in.

But not to worry, the flavor more than held up! Tangy extra dark chocolate and more roasted coffee beans envelop the palate. The creaminess follows through from the nose and a mocha coffee ice cream flavor (it’s slightly different from the aroma; more chocolatey) This bad boy is real sweet, but there is a bitterness at the end, though I’d hardly call it hoppy. This brew is very smooth and this is even amplified by the low carbonation, which makes it quite full in the mouth.

It’s fairly easy to drink for the style, but it’s one that’s made to savor. Not much alcohol present, but it could pack a punch if you rush. (1,092 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love this beer. I knew that when I first tried it, there was something special going on here. It’s super dark with huge coffee and chocolate flavors along with some strange fruit flavors that sneak in. The mouthfeel is really pleasant as well. Fantastic beer! (262 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -8.5%

This 2004 Stone Imperial Russian Stout poured and inky black with a small dark tan head on top. The foam faded quickly to a thin ring around the glass leaving a few spots of lace behind. A malty aroma with some notes of coffee and nuts greeted me before my first sip.

This medium to full bodied beer is smooth on the tongue. The roasted malt flavor is blended nicely with some coffee, chocolate and nut tastes. Towards the end some sour cherry and alcohol flavors mix in and remain behind after each the beer is gone.

This is a very good full flavored beer that hides it's 10% alcohol very well. (601 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +6.9%

Early summer 2004 Limited Release.

Allow me to preface by saying that, as the first Stone beer I've reviewed, I efffing love the bottles. Especially the Arrogant Bastard one.

A- Wow. Is this beer or a Chevron product? Sounds heavy going into the glass. Cannot be pierced by light -- a veritable black hole. Milk chocolate-looking head stuck around for a little, dissipating and inviting me to follow it. This is going to be a good time.

S- Malts and malts of malts, with a tinge giving away the high ABV (10.8% in this edition, booyah!). Chocolate, caramel, coffee, a hint of spice. All good things.

T- Sticky sweet, from the demon's head to his feet. Malts attack! Everything in the smell explodes onto the scene. Dark dark chocolate and coffee, some burnt flavors, all with solid alcohol air cover. Hops seem more or less obliterated. Since it's about to snow I can dig it, but it's hard-hitting, to be sure. Warms you up.

M- Substantial but easy -- well balanced for the ten ton flavor.

D- Putting down this bottle solo and it is a formidable task. There's a lot to it, and the 10.8 is not exactly stealth-like. Still, as one expects from Stone, quite tasty and true to form. Would certainly keep one breathing in Siberia ... sort of ironic given it comes from California.

Lives up to its reputation, but NOT to be taken lightly. This is hardcore, As such, I would only tackle this beast every so often. (1,429 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +8.5%

Late Spring 2003 release. Glossy sable. No highlights, no edges, no nothing. It isn't possible for a beer to be more light nullifying than this one is. The head is one of the darkest that I've ever seen. It's a menacing shade of cocoa brown, the perfect color compliment to the beer on which it rests. It also puts the lie to the notion that high-ABV beer tends not to have large, persistent heads. Even though there isn't a glass smothering amount of lace, there's more than enough not to spoil a world-class appearance.

The nose is outstanding. It practically oozes heavily roasted black malt with all of the aromas that go along with it. Bittersweet chocolate fudge swirls around chunks of crushed coffee bean with generous lashings of molasses. The faintest hint of alcohol is more than welcome since it gives the aroma a seriousness that all good RISs possess. Perhaps nearly three years in the bottle is a bit too long to expect hops to persevere. However, I still have hope that they'll make a cameo on the palate.

Stone RIS is phenomenal! It's everything that I had hoped for and so much more. I have never experienced a more mind-blowing, darkly delicious, megaton malt bomb in my life. First and foremost, it possesses a monolithic malt backbone that gives granite an inferiority complex. Rivulets of melted chocolate, espresso, blackstrap molasses and the finest ouzo combine to create a raging river of mouthfilling (and belly warming) bliss.

The hops haven't completely faded, although I'm sure they're a shadow of their former 2003 selves. As is usually the case, they make an appearance on the finish when the malt deluge has finally begun to abate. I'd love to taste this beer fresh, but I have to say that it's an ass kicker of the highest order when aged. It's amazing how long the flavor lingers. The licorice/anise/ouzo hangs on seemingly forever.

This particular vintage clocks in at 9.47% and it feels every bit of that (even if it doesn't taste like it). This is a beer that is brewed to be sipped. It's doing an admirable job of warming me up, which I needed since I just came in from snowblowing half a foot of snow off my driveway. Each mouthful leads me to thank the boys at Stone for such an incredible beer. Although I don't usually buy in cases, this is a 'case beer' if there ever was one.

The mouthfeel is, in a word, perfection. It's as if the brewers read my mind and designed it especially for me. I've had thicker Imperial Stouts, but none that possessed this degree of heavy silkiness. Try as I might, I cannot find a flaw. Perfect mouth presence, perfect coating finish, just... plain... perfect.

SIRS is Stone's finest creation and is infinitely deserving of a place in the pantheon of the greatest beers ever created. I've run out of adjectives for 'great', but I haven't quite run out of beer. So if you'll excuse me, it's time to savor the final few swallows. Stone Russian Imperial Stout is a tour de force and is the finest stout in existence, bar none. (3,003 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +5.3%

Appearance: Tarry black color, nice gingerbread head that leaves good amounts of lacing.

Smell: Dark chocolate, dark coffee, alcohol. Rich with some woody scents to it.

Taste: Big, rich and flavorful. A whole lot of coffe flavors domintate this beer, also with some dark chocolate. Flavors are forceful and direct, this is a very potent beer that has a lot of very nice characteristics. Hops also finish this out with a nice alcohol finish, good for a frosty winter's night.

Mouthfeel: Full and slick, leaves a slightly sticky mouthfeel, but is very good, with appropriate carbonation levels.

Drinkability: Excellent, an outstanding Imperial Stout. Well worth the ratings, because this is a big beer which can appeal to more beer drinkers, becuase it isn't over the top like many beers in the Imperial/Double stout category. (837 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

2005 release in 22 oz bottle.
Pours a dark brown thick, dark chocolate color with a medium to small tan head(probably small due to the high alcohol content).

Smells of dark roasted coffee, currants, molasses and chocolate.

Tastes very sweet, malty with a nice bite about it. Chocolate, malt,currants, and a powerful alcohol taste. This is a strong beer and not for the timid. A damn fine brew and only $4.99 in Columbus,OH.
This beer may have a high alcohol kick to it, but you definately get a well balanced mix. There is so much going on in this brew that it is definately a must have for anyone that loves a good stout, or a strong brew. (648 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

Summer 2005 release. Pours a thick consistency, blacker than black, and totally opaque. Light brown head is dense and creamy, and reaches a full fist in hieght. The retention is excellent, holds a tight half-inch cap, but leaves only weak patchy lacing. Vinous dark fruit nose, with hints of bakers chocolate and cascade hops. The taste is boldy sweet at first, chocolate malt and roasted barley. Some fusel notes are perceived as it warms, but a dry, american hop bite in the aftertaste keep the ABV and sweetness in check. Finish is dry, but leaves some traces of fig/plum and a slight alcohol smack. The full body and flat carbonation lend an exceptionally smooth mouthfeel and combine with the well-rounded flavor to allow a high drinkability. Magnificent. (760 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -2.8%

This is a hard beer to find out these parts. A 6.50 a bottle my hopes are pretty high.

A. As usual, Stone does a clever job marketing their beers. "Early Summer 2005 Release". Seems like the beer could have been aged just a little more. I am not one to sneeze at a fresh bomber though.

S. Strong alcohol smell accompanied by roasted notes of pine and burnt sugar. The head does a nice job maintaining, in turn, helping give off these essences.

T. Super strong in all categories in this department. Roasted malts, huge bitterness, chocolate follow through. Very charismatic.

M&D. Another tremendous offering from Stone. Creamy all the way through, its drinkability is hurt a little by its high alcohol content. (722 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured a thick black mass of tar leaving little to no head but plenty of residue along the sides.
Heavy -but not too strong- malt smell followed by espresso and chocolate.
Sweet and dark chocolates, coffee with hints of nuts. A warming alcohol presence made sure to remid me of the big 10 abv but wasn't to heavy, balanced fantasticly.
Slick oily mouthfeel. Heavy hitting, thick and chewy. This is a great Imperial just perfect for a cold winter evening playing chess or reading a book. (490 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +5.3%

appearance of black motor oil with a decent brown head. smells of chocolate ice cream with coffee, caramel and light grainyness. some slight floral hop notes, as well as some other more literally floral aromas. dark fruits, tobacco and roasted qualities come out after some warming occurs.
chocolate and roasted coffee dominate the taste with a really excellent balance avoiding the heavy sweetness that can sometimes take away from this type of beer. a good amount of bitterness at the finish cleaning things up very well without preventing the very good aftertaste from coming though. the alcohol is masked well and is nearly undetectable. a cigar like tobacco flavor coems out as it warms, especially in the back of the throat.
full chewy body with light carbonation. silky mooth and a pleasure to drink. excellent drinkability, packed with flavor, but not overwhelming or excessive ever. it just makes you want to have more. seek this out, it's top notch as far as this type of beer goes. stone never disappoints. (1,019 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +6.9%

Year and a half old Stone Imperial Russian Stout. Early Summer 2004 release consumed on date of review.

I cellared this and few of his brothers for a year and half and decided to try this one out tonight.

Pours a beautiful dark black brown with a frothy mocha head. The head doesn't last long.

Smell is rich dark chocolate and coffee. Not much in the way of hops.

Taste is more chocolate and coffee with cream. Very smooth and sweet balanced by some nice roasted bitterness.

Mouthfeel is extra creamy.

Very drinkable! (535 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +6.4%

This black molasses looking beer was poured from a 22oz. "Limited Early summer 2005 Release" brown bomber. It pours to form a nice but moderate/conservative brown head. The head quickly dissiaptes to a lacing around the sides of the glass, with a very very thin film over the top of the beer. When agitated the head dosen't really return, not very much head retention here.

The beer has a very malty smell, I detect no presence of hops at all in this beer. After tasting this beer I can easily smell the roasted barley/malt and chocolate aromas that eminate from this beer. The smell is not very strong, nor is it weak, but its about average. Don't get me wrong, the beer smells great but its not very potent, meaning this: when I opened it the aroma of the beer didn't fill the room. Ok so call me crazy but there is something in the overall aroma that reminds me of the smell my George Foreman Grill Produces when I clean it off after making Hamburgers. I clean it with a paper towel. Perhaps a burnt smell, but that's just what it reminds me of, it's a good smell of course.

This beer is amazing. I recently just brewed a batch of my own Russian Imperial stout. I was anxious to see how these two compared. I must say that the two brews have quite a different taste to them. My brew is just overall maltier, sweeter. This one has a wider variety of flavors. I can taste a roasted flavor, chocolate flavor, and an overall sweet flavor. My brew just had the overall sweet flavor to it. When this brew hits the lips the first thing I taste is the sweet malty flavor of this beer. Next comes a weak, short lived, bitter taste at the back of my tongue. This is followed by chocolate and roasted taste. The after taste after thinking about it for a while reminds me of M&M's and coffee.

Nice dark and heavy mouthfeel to this beer. It's a full bodied dark brew that feels great on the tongue. This beer is low in carbonation as well it should be, I don't think that a beer like this would be very good with high carbonation. This beer is excellent, and is definitely worth the money I spent on it. I would definitely buy it agian. As to the actual drinkability of this beer it is something to be sipped, I imagine if you drink too many of these in one night you'll easily get sick. Definitely an amazing beer go grab one if you haven't had this. (2,351 characters)

Stone Imperial Russian Stout from Stone Brewing Co.