1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Stone Imperial Russian Stout - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Imperial Russian StoutStone Imperial Russian Stout

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.60% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-21-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Imperial Russian Stout Alström Bros
4.4/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Not my favorite style of beer, but when you put a sign on the beer that says "Limit 1 per customer," I'm going to buy it. And only $6.99 for a world-class rating? Please.

A - poured semi-vigorously into my not-adequate FFF pint glass. Seems a huge disservice to the guys in San Diego to not have the right glassware for this beer, and I feel worse about myself already. Very dark brown, opaque, with 2 fingers of light tan head (expected a darker head, still nice) that laces very nicely.

S - sweet, roasty malts, hint of coffee at the end, maybe a little biscuity? I might be completely missing the point, but I rather like it.

T - not quite as complex as I was expecting, but definitely still very good. I don't think I'm sophisticated enough to weed out the evolving tastes of these heavy hitters anyways, so it works out well for me. Burnt malt, bitter chocolate, maybe some toffee at the end.

M - medium to heavy, light carbonation, and smooth - quite nice actually. Leaves a medium alcohol burn on the way out that lasts for a while.

O - again, will never order a stout/porter over a pale or IPA, but will definitely buy this again. It is excellent, and the price can't be beat. Can't wait to open my 2nd bottle in a year or so and see how it compares. Pick it up, now, in large quantities.

hoody711, May 03, 2012

SiflandOlly, May 02, 2012

HopFace, May 01, 2012

pirmannt1, May 01, 2012
4.55/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – Pitch black, with a light cocoa colored medium head. Nice lacing.

Smell – A relatively mellow scent rather than strong. Roasted malts, licorice, brown sugar, and earthiness, with a nice hint of alcohol.

Taste – Burnt malt, maybe some dark chocolate, with some booziness. To me, it’s relatively simple, but quite good.

Mouthfeel – Thick, creamy, light-medium carbonation, and smooth.

Drinkability – Super easy drinking stout, especially at 10.5% abv.

Falcon91Wolvrn03, May 01, 2012

jdougherty, May 01, 2012

TonyT013, May 01, 2012
4.45/5  rDev +2.5%

I sat for a while with only the word "AMAZING" typed into the review box as I continued to sip away on my first ever Stone IRS.

2012

The look of this beer is amazing. Pours viscous and deliciously dark. Firm pour entices a few fingers of mocha colored head. Dark as sin and just as inviting.

I can smell this beer as it pours, and it's amazing. Typical coffee and chocolate mixed with roasted malts. Smells a little boozy, but there seems to be something unexplainably fruity in this.

Taste is...amazing. One sip and I'm smiling at how I feel that I'm robbing Stone Brewing company. How can they sell this beer at $6.99 per 22oz? This beer is sweeter than most I've tried, and it's out of this world. The creamy molasses and coffee flavors hit and linger. Caramel and malt come though as this warms, and finishes with a slight boozy character. I've read about how well this ages and I can only imagine that the flavor deepens as the alcohol taste disappears. I'm putting one in my cellar.

Stone IRS might have the most amazing mouthfeel of any beer I've tried. It is lusciously creamy with flavors that coat the tongue and don't leave until you are ready for you next sip.

Overall, amazing. This beer is (and defines) what a world class RIS should be. I cannot wait until this beer ages and I get to experience a whole new level of Stone IRS.

markmiller, May 01, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

dlello2, May 01, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

22oz. 2012 Release

A - Motor oil black. Thick, creamy, mocha-colored head builds quickly. Shows some good retention. Sticky patches of lacing get left behind.

S - Got a good whiff before the cap was completely off. Lots of chocolate coming through. Toasted malts with some caramel hanging around.

T/M - Again, chocolate really comes through in the taste. Layers of it as well. I get a hint of milk chocolate before it turns a more bitter dark chocolate. Really nice roastiness with a little bit of burnt toffee. Creamy, full-bodied, with low carbonation.

O - Awesome! Hard to deny how good this one is at such a reasonable price and availability.

bigaltemple, May 01, 2012

rogerthegill, Apr 30, 2012

Canesfan22, Apr 30, 2012

szmnnl99, Apr 30, 2012

SalMineo, Apr 30, 2012
3.71/5  rDev -14.5%

Appearance - Pours a midnight black with light penetrating only the thinnest of edges. Head is a cocoa powder color and 2 fingers thick, good retention, and leaves behind a spotty lacing.

Smell - Aromas are fairly light. Chocolate and roasted malt notes. Even at warmer temps, not getting much from the aroma.

Taste - Darkly roasted malts. Sweet. Chocolate notes. Flavors feel held back; subdued.

Mouthfeel - Full body. Almost syrupy. Decent carbonation. Smooth.

Overall - Stone is known to brew some aggressive brews, so I'm a little befuddled by this RIS. While all the typical characteristics are there, they seem fairly muted and, dare I say, safe. It's a good RIS, but I can't say it's in my top 10.

TheSixthRing, Apr 30, 2012

Steimie, Apr 30, 2012

Kirby, Apr 29, 2012

Hopstout, Apr 29, 2012

ZethOfTheNorth, Apr 29, 2012
Stone Imperial Russian Stout from Stone Brewing Co.