1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Stone Imperial Russian Stout - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Imperial Russian StoutStone Imperial Russian Stout

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.60% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-21-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Imperial Russian Stout Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev -10.1%

poured from bomber into st bernardus chalice.

A: pours very dark brown, almost black; medium head, some lacing.

S: strong roasted malt and chocolate come to mind right of the bat, but i do detect some coffee in there. molasses maybe?

T: taste follows the smell closely. complex and well balanced.

M: as with most imperial stouts it's definitely full bodied. average carbonation.

D: again, following the repuation of an imperial stout, this is a sipper. wouldn't stray beyond the one bomber.

overall, very good but IMHO not world class. maybe my expectations were too high going in; i was expecting to LOVE it... def not on the level of a kbs or even bourbon county, in my opinion. guess i'm a sucker for the bourbon. :)

perrymarcus, Jun 13, 2010

After having the past couple vintages of this beer, I am finally deciding to rate it...2010 bottle.

A- Pours very dark brown/black with a large light brown head. Nice lacing. Looks like a pretty typical imperial stout.

S- Nice chocolate aromas with additional roasted malt, and a hint of coffee.

T- Roasted malts. A hint of coffee is there, just as in the nose. Caramel makes an appearance at the finish... a little licorice as well, hints of chocolate. Pretty tasty beer...much more balanced than the Southern Tier Mokah I had before this.

M- Fuller bodied, but more carbonation than I like to see in my Imperial Stouts. Still, this coats the mouth nicely.

D- The drinkability is good here, even with the high alcohol. One bomber would be my limit though.

Overall, it is hard to come by a widely distributed Imperial Stout that is worth picking up. A nice beer to look forward to each year. I liked 2008 a lot, hated 2009 ( I dislike a lot of 2009 versions of beers for some reason), but enjoy this years. I will probably pick up a couple of these for aging.

TK5150, Jun 12, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -14.7%

A - I was impressed when I held this up to my monitor's light and not a single ray was shining through. Whoa. Reminds me of the World Wide Stout.

S - It's hard to catch a smell of it. It doesn't seem to throw it's sent around so much. I'd probably call it chalky actually. Maybe a little bit like dry soil. Earthy tones is an understatement.

T - A lot of toasted something. Pretty thick, and the malts are to blame. But the malt taste isn't so strong. This thing is a kicker though, plenty of alcohol. Great if you're alone... *sniff* *sniff*

M - It seems to bubble up in itself. I'm not sure whether it's because of the sugar content, but it's not so effervescent, because it just foams up and stays foamy. It's pleasant actually. I like it about this beer.

D - It'll put a bit of hair on your chest. It's definitely for a person who can enjoy a ton of character in a beer. This isn't for the normal fragile American tongue. This is the real stuff. That said, it's a bit much for a daily brew. Personally, I enjoy something a bit lighter day to day, but it's a refreshing change I'm sure a stout fan would love.

Echosolace, Jun 12, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -10.1%

Pours black with lots of light brown head. No lacing.

Smells of roasted malts, coffee, brown sugar and bitter chocolate. The roasted malts and coffee seem somewhat watered down. The aroma is a bit nutty as well.

Tastes upfront of slightly bitter roasted malts with a nutty, earthy quality. Finish is bitter coffee, unsweetened chocolate, light brown sugar. Lingering bitter and roasted coffee flavor.

Full bodied with low carbonation, but no chewiness. Slightly syrupy.

A solid example of the style, but nothing great and kind of boring.

6/6/2010

sidetracked, Jun 12, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours an almost black hue, with some brown around the edges and at the bottom. Light brown lacing leaves some delicate sheeting the whole way down.

Aroma smells very roasty and inviting. Also some raisin, carmelized sugar, and chocolate notes going on.

Taste is very complex and delicious. Bitter coffee and chocolate upfront. In the middle I am getting the dark fruit taste and a hint of licorice. Also a nice amount of hop bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is absolutely perfect. Silky texture that just dances on the palate. Drinkability is good for a big beer, but definately not a chugger. A great beer and one.I have enjoyed for a long time just never reviewed.

snpub540, Jun 11, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - Exceptionally dark. Practically what you see pouring out of your car engine each year. Not a lot of head, but what is there is creamy. A bit of lacing as well.

S - Lots and lots of bitter dark chocolate and roasted malts. The roasted smell is quite dominant.

T - Much like the smell, there is strong hop bitterness to it which works so well with the bitter chocolate and roasted malt.

M - A full bodied beer that sticks with you. It's very creamy and goes very well with desserts.

D - I wouldn't recommend it on a hot day after work or from mowing the lawn. As a beer you relax and sip on, it's a fine wine in beer form.

Transatlantic, Jun 11, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

One of my top RIS's for sure. I had this fresh twice last year but for this review I am reviewing a 2008 bomber, so this is aged 2 years.

Pours black with a modest 1-finger tan head even on an aggressive pour. Carbonation has probably been knocked down a bit due to the age. Turns to a ring and leaves some lacing.

Lots of malt, coffee and dark fruits from the nose. Alluring to say the least.

Taste is of the pure RIS variety I have come to know and love. I can taste the decadence! Lots of flavors - roasted malt, black coffee, licorice, flashes of plum and raisin. Booze is a highlight here rather than a bother, well-hidden for 10.8%. Definitely less hot than when fresh. A surprising amount of sweetness for a stout so evil and robust. The dark fruit comes out more as it warms, along with dark chocolate and vanilla. Amazing.

Mouthfeel is excellent, thickness, carbonation, and alcohol taste are at a great level. Balance is awesome.

Very drinkable and enjoyable, bomber is not a problem. Pretty good price for the quality too. Stouts don't need to be barrel-aged to be great, this is undeniable proof.

**4/13/11 - more notes**

Thoroughly enjoying a 2008 (3 years old) 12 oz right now. This beer is only improving with age...basically a dark chocolate/dark fruit/licorice bomb of awesomeness with really no alcohol bite. Drinking super great right now, happy to have alot of this vintage especially.

**4/27/13 - more notes**

2008 bomber, 5+ years old! This beer rules, period. Awesome vintage. Carbonation is definitely sinking but such a good, deep beer, lots of character. Lots of dark fruit chocolatey-ness. Easy drinking, unique. Had this next to fresh 2013+2013 Espresso versions - all great but this blew em away.

Chico1985, Jun 11, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

2010 on tap at Belmont Station in Portland, OR poured into a Delirium Tremens snifter.

appearance - rich black, tan head, excellent lacing, some retention

smell - coffee, anise, malt, chocolate

taste - strong anise up front, black currants, coffee is dominant throughout the profile

mouthfeel - heavy mouthfeel, thick and dry, lingering, warm

drinkability - a very complex but huge beer, difficult to get through a snifter in any amount of time

djbreezy, Jun 11, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Thanks to dansteino for the great selection.
Poured into my Guinness mug.
2010 release.

A: Pours pitch black with some dark brown hues around the top edges. About 2 fingers of mocha foam fade pretty quickly, leaving thin wisps of lacing around the sides.

S: Big coffee aromas up front with hints of chocolate floating throughout. Maybe a little bit of dark fruit, but other than that, not much else.

T: Again, big coffee and chocolate presences abound. Dark fruits as well. Yeasty bread makes its way to the surface, too.

M: Pretty smooth. Not much hotness from the alcohol either. A little bit dryer than I would like though. Still very good.

D: I'm almost invariably left wanting more.

NewGeneric, Jun 11, 2010
4.18/5  rDev -3.7%

'10 bomber poured in to my cigar city snifter.

A- pours midnight black in color. A 2 finger tan head. Splendid retention and a fair bit of lacing.

A- big roasted malts and coffee. Some booze are present and a hint of black licorice.

T- roasted malts and coffee are in charge. The malts have a touch of char to them. The licorice I got in the nose, is more prevelant here. The booze are a little hot and there is a bit of hops present in the finish. As it warms there is a fig or raisin that really comes out. The flavors really become more complex at room temperature.

M- on the fuller side of medium. Not as thick as I was expecting but in no way is it light. The carbonation is on the lower side which I prefer in stouts.

D- I enjoyed sipping on this one. I took my time with it. I drank the whole bomber solo over an hour. I am glad I did because like I said before, it really opens up as it warms. I really enjoyed it and I believe I will purchase more to put some age on them.

urwithdave, Jun 10, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -9%

Just poured a 2009 edition since the 2010s just came in

Appearance: jet black in appearance, pours a little thick with a light caramel head, sticking to the sides

Smell: smells like a standard imperial stout, good coffee aroma and some alcohol, nothing too special

Taste: very good flavor, rich and full of coffee flavor, mild sweetness, alcohol in the after taste, good resonating flavor

Mouthfeel: extremely smooth, almost velvety, little carbonation

Drinkability: very drinkable, the flavor isn't over powering and it tastes great, the alcohol is also pretty well hidden for its content

I'd highly recommend picking one of these up, especially if over a year old.

aasher, Jun 09, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -8.3%

Had on tap at Belmont Station in Portland Oregon. I have had the 2010 in the bottle several times now, and finally got a try on tap. The appearance was deep black with a really foamed up brown head. As the glass settled they maintained some patches of bubbles. Nose was roasted malts, coffee, bakers chocolate, and a twinge of hops. Taste was more of the same with the hops and currant being more prominent than in the bottle, and in a way that was less pleasant for me. The mouthfeel was spectacular.

squaremile, Jun 09, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a pint glass and built up a massive dark tan head that lingered for quite a while which was highly unexpected. Coloration was black as night. Smell was ok, pretty nutty smelling with loys of coffee. Tastes of roasted nuts and malt upfront with a very taint bitterness at the end of the sip. Pretty thick mouthfeel, also nice and creamy and smooth. A nice sipper in my opinion. Not the heaviest or most massive stout out there but very nice.

Darien, Jun 08, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -14.7%

appearance i rated a 4
i did that because i found it impressive on how dark they were able to get the beer. no light whats so ever got through when held up o the light. head was thick and creamy. the color was an off white. it was fairly firm and didnt disipate.

smell - 3
nothing special just a heavy coffee smell

taste 4
had a heavy but smooth coffee taste with some hint of nuts

drink - 3.5
i say this because for me with how heavy the coffee taste i may be able to stomach one or two at a time because of how rich it is

bierguru, Jun 07, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

picked this up on a whim since i they didn't have the beer i was looking for.
poured from the bottle into a snifter glass
appearance dark almost black in color with chocolate colored head .
smell dark roasted malts and a bit of coffee
taste slightly bitter with above flavor
i am really impressed with this quality brew

Dodt, Jun 07, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +3%

Thanks BenC for breaking out an '08-'10 vertical of this.

review of 2010:
a - dark black. light colored head.
s - smokey malts, some coffee
t - coffee and smokey. good amount of bitterness.
m - med-heavy body. thick and somewhat chewy, but carbonation keeps it from being too syrupy.

2009: smell is way sweeter than '10. dark fruit notes and vanilla. taste is sweeter as well. picking up honey and chocolate.

2008: smell i sweeter than '10, but less than '09. smokey cocoa nose. taste is super smooth, but seems to have lost some flavor over the '09. more chocolate malts.

overall - I think the best year was '09, but it may have been a bit too sweet. Somewhere between 1 and 2 years is about perfect. Actually at the end I mixed '08 and '09 together and enjoyed it quite a bit!

levifunk, Jun 04, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

2008 through 2010 vertical courtesy of BenC, an BA, hot sauce aficionado, and generally good bloke.

A - Each year's pour is dark brown, with a small bit of brown head and not much lacing.

S
2008 - Tobacco, raisin, and vanilla
2009 - Booze, vanilla, and dark fruits
2010 - Coffee, roasted malts

T
1st impressions:
2008 - Chocolate malt balls, molasses, and toffee
2009 - Vanilla, bourbon, milk chocolate
2010 - Roasted coffee, molasses, dark chocolate, and a slightly piny, bitter finish

Overall, the 2008 stole the show for me. It wasn't nearly as sweet as the 2009 (the only chink in the latter's armor...great beeer), and the scents and flavors invoked elements of my favorite old ales. The 2009 was the most distinctive, with a lot of bourbon flavor mixed with the other sweet flavors noted above. The 2010 tasted strongly of dark-roast coffee and had more hops, as expected, but it wasn't as complex as the earlier years. I have some in the basement and will look forward to trying it again in three to six month intervals.

M
2008 - Not much carb, a bit syrupy
2009 - Standing next to the other two, the sugars in this are prominent and impact the mouthfeel. Boozy.
2010 - Lighter than the former years' offerings. A fair amount of carbonation.

D
2008 and 2010 are very drinkable, with the 2009 lagging slightly behind.

I was impressed with the differentiation here. The 2008 > 2009 > 2010, but they're all good. This is an awesome RIS, and, for the price, it's second to none. Buy several, drink one or two, and cellar the rest.

klikger, Jun 04, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

220z bottle into a snifter. 2010 bottle.

A - Not as black as some stouts I've had, showing some deep brown around the edges when held to the light. One finger head burns away to not much of anything. No lacing to speak of.

S - Dark chocolate, coffee, and alcohol. The coffee comes through more at room temperature.

T - Tons of dark chocolate as the nose implies, not as much coffee as I would've thought. The alcohol is not as strong as I thought it would be, and hints of vanilla and black cherry in the finish. Delicious. This is what I keep coming back for.

M - Thick, velvety, and oily. Chewy in the way that I would hope most stouts would be.

D - Surprisingly high. I've had three bombers in a night before and not had a problem. The flavor keeps me wanting to have another sip and doesn't wear on me.

Overall - This is one of my favorite of the easily available RISes. I need to keep reminding myself to buy a case each year when it comes out, and even that probably wouldn't be enough to tide me over until next year.

djmichaelk, Jun 03, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -6%

2009 Vintage

A. Pours a very dark black with a tan head that dissipates with no residual lacing.
S. Smells of dark malt and a slight bit of caramel sweetness as well as some coffee.
T. Strong roasted malt flavor with some caramel and coffee bitterness on swallow. Still quite a bit of alcohol burn in the swallow as well.
M. Med-thick bodied with a low (appropriate) amount of carbonation.
D. Once the alcohol burn fades a bit more this will be supremely drinkable.

BeerAndBourbon, Jun 03, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +4.4%

On tap at Jupiter.

A: Served in a snifter, the body is a rich black color with no light penetration even against the powerful California sun. The cloudless sky illuminated a finger of light mocha head (I seem to remember the bottle having a darker head? No?). Just the hint of a breeze ruffled the cap until it receded into a thin collar around the edges. No lace.

S: As I listened to the chirping birds and the chatter of tanned, beautiful people, I enjoyed the wafting aromas of roast, coffee, chocolate, anise, nuts, and just a touch of dark fruit. Luckily, the aroma wasn't overwhelmed by the beautiful foliage of the beer garden.

T: Roast- and coffee-forward. I prefer more chocolatey stouts, but this isn't exactly lacking in that department. Dark chocolate accentuated by a touch of plum. I pick up anise and a nutty character in the finish. The aftertaste brings out roast again. As I sipped on this, I reflected on how wonderful it is to live in California's perennial springtime.

M: My face baked to a light honey color and my serotonins stimulated by the tanning, I swirled this in my mouth and reflected on what a pleasure it is to drink. Thick, chewy, flavorful. Carbonation is appropriately low, though it does result in a coating feel (something that hampers drinking a full glass, I feel).

D: I'm glad it's easily available at a reasonable price. I usually buy several bottles of each year.

Arbitrator, Jun 03, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

This stout is jet black with a brown head that leaves lace behind in bands as you drink. The head eventually settles to a thin layer of foam. At this point it could pass visually as espresso.

Roasted malts, coffee and smoke in the nose. I expected some alcohol smell at 10.5% but it isn't here, so I'll look for it in the taste.

Wrong again! The alcohol is very well masked. There is only a slight burn on the palate, barely detectable. The roast and coffee continue on in the taste as smoky elements attack the sides of your tongue. There is also a slight hint of toffee on the tongue. I detect very little by the way of hops. There is some bitterness but it's hard to discern if that's from the roasted malt or from the hops making their presence known. Knowing Stone, it's the hops.

A medium body with the appropriate amount of carbonation. I'd prefer a cleaner wash, but this is a stout after all.

Very drinkable for an Imperial Russian Stout, but without losing any boldness. These could be dangerous on cool autumn evenings. Luckily it's nearly summer and I'll want something lighter next.

Naugros, Jun 02, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

2010 batch.

Pours a root-beer color, almost opaque. Coral colored head falls quick to a small ring, no lacing.

The aroma is complex but light with hints of licorice, horehound, caramelized pecans, grape jelly and toast, and an earthy/woodsy/musty scent.

The flavors match the nose, with the caramelized pecans and licorice leading the way, it has dark red wine undertones.

Everything is right on with the mouthfeel. Medium to heavy body, thick, warm, and coating. It has a deep dry finish.

One fine sipper! Bang for the buck this blows most beers in this class away! Ive paid twice the $$$ for RIS's that dont even come close.

sitarist, Jun 01, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

grabbed this one from HV Bottle Shop in Durham, NC...indicated on the label this was a limited edition Spring 2010 release...

pours an unpenetrating oil black with a light brown fluffy head...outstanding lacing and head build...looks inviting to any stout fan...

smells of dark and rich roasted coffee beans...i'm also getting something sharp to the nose, most likely the alcohol burn...

holy shit, this one is tasty...there's a ton of flavors in this stout, but as odd as it sounds it is extremely balanced...the roasted malts dominate but the burn of the high alcohol is well received...very creamy with a solid aftertaste...the carbonation takes control of your mouth...let this one warm up in your glassware and you'll get a caramel flavor that will knock you down...truly awesome warmed taste...

i'd highly recommend this brew, one of the best i've had...i enjoyed this one with a friend from england playing pool in his at-home pub...cheers!

cnjohn19, May 30, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +10.1%

a - nice dark color, gentle pour into a pint glass yielded a lovely caramel head about the thickness of my little finger, some lacing as the head receded

s - rich roasted smell with chocolatey notes

t - robust flavor with mixed sweet and bitter, gentle roasted notes

m - thick, almost sensuous mouth feel, but not too heavy

d - very drinkable, even with the ABV

tunamcdermot, May 30, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +4.8%

A - No sunshine, poured it high and got a nice cascade effect, some lacing.

S - roasty, coffee, chocolate.

T&M - Sweet upfront with chocolate, caramel, molasses, with a silky feel. A coffee, roasty flavor, with a peppery alcohol bite on the finish.

D - The case recommendation printed on the bottle is a good idea..

Overall a great beer I will be buying again. The flavor was spot on. Very well balanced and a easy drinker. I think the feel will get better with age, it was a bit harsh on the finish. Let this warm up a bit if outta the fridge. My favorite Stone so far..

al3, May 27, 2010
Stone Imperial Russian Stout from Stone Brewing Co.