Stone Imperial Russian Stout - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Imperial Russian StoutStone Imperial Russian Stout

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.60% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-21-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Imperial Russian Stout Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev -3.7%

Thanks to johngalt1 for this 08 bottle included as an extra. I have been waiting to crack this one, and the weather in New England has me itching for big stouts. Poured into a dogfish head signature glass. The pour yields a deep black body, that lets no light through, with a one finger mocha head. As the head fades it leaves behind a very thick oily lacing.

The smell is roasted coffee, molasses, dark fruits (maybe some cherries, figs), bitter dark chocolate and on top of that a sweet chocolate fudge. Very inviting.

The taste matches the smell and hits all the big notes a RIS is supposed to, faint coffee flavors roll over roasted malts and bitter dark chocolate. The dark chocolate moves right into toffee, dark fruits and caramel and then there is a nice earthy hop undertone that dries out the palate. The aftertaste gives off a nice alcohol heat that encourages me to take another sip.

The beer is lightly carbonated, just enough to let the flavors work together and the beer move through the mouth. The alcohol is just present enough to let you know you're dealing with a big beer, but not cloying or overpowering. Compared to the 09 I have previously tried, the 08 blows it away, very nice.

rpstevens, Nov 18, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured this outta a 22oz bomber and into my Arrogant Bastard glass. Pours a black as midnight color. A dark tan lacy brown head appears that disappates within 1 minutes time.

Initial smell of this brew was deep roasted malts with scents of roasted java dominating the olfactory.

Taste was big at first sip. Nothing less then expected from Stone. Dark roasted coffee with a touch of prune. Alcohol hits 3/4 way through this brew but is gone by the end. Left with just a touch of hoppiness on the palate. As this fine brew warms up the alcohol becomes more pronounced as do the hops. As I approach 1/2 way through this bomber a warm fuzzy feeling over comes me. Nice. Very nice.

Mouthfeel was thinner then expected at first but then as it warmed the consistency is what I expected. A thick feeling that coated the mouth as this elixer of love was passed over the tongue and into the belly.

Lets face it. This is no session beer. It is a big beer full of flavor that will warm your inards on cool fall evening.

icetrauma, Nov 17, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a deep ebony with a small, but frothy, deep tan head that hangs around for a while leaving a thin, but sticky trail of lacing in its path.

Aroma is big & packed with hearty roasted malt, coffee, milk chocolate, and dark bread notes.

The roasted malt with coffee highlights is absolutely delicious with hints of chocolate nibs, and robust toastyness. The sweetness is more pronounced as the brew warms but at the end the roasted malt returns.

Reserved carbonation, medium to full in body with tons of character and just the right flavors.

Amazing beer, pleasing to all senses, nothing that disappoints, and a fine example of the style. Enjoy!

CHADMC3, Nov 15, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +6.7%

I had the 2002-2009 versions at Stone's RIS Vertical last week and my favorite was the 2002 w/2004 a close second. This review is for 2002.

Appearance- As dark as tar w/1 finger of head.

Smell- Bourbon and chocolate.

Taste- Bourbon, chocolate, coffee, and cherries.

Mouthfeel- Heavy but satisfying.

Drinkability- It is a sipper, not for the ABV but for the heaviness and tastes.

SanDiegoBeerLove, Nov 14, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass. Poured a black wonderful consistency with a brown/ dark tan full head, two fingers. The head faded and left good lacing as the beer went down. The aroma is immediate roasted malt with hints of coffee and some chocolate. These smells mirror the tastes as you sample this beer. It is surprisingly smooth and palatable for a Russian Stout and could use a touch more body. The easy drinking quality of this beer makes it a good stout for people used to lighter beers. Due to the light carbonation combined with the perceived thickness I would give this style points and say it is a very enjoyable beer. After enjoying many of the other Stone offerings I was happy to try one that is not for all of us hop heads and continue to be impressed with their offerings.

jnezda, Nov 13, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -12.4%

Been using the site for years, but have never posted my reviews. Figured I'd throw some up here.

The Stone RIS seems like a good place to start as I've had several over the years and enjoy them; a solid beer.

Drank this one on Monday night, during the game. Poured into a tulip glass. A small light tan head that dissipated fairly quickly as I drank. Very thin clear lacing.

An initial light coffee smell that quickly turned to roasted malts. Also a small amount of chocolate. A little more alcoholic smelling than I remember.

The stout tastes very similar to the smell. Large roasted malts with some chocolate finish. The 10.5% certainly comes through and stays around for a bit. It is a bit thinner than I remember but still has that silky feel.

Drinkability became better the warmer the beer became. Again, the stronger alcohol finish made it not quite as enjoyable as many other big stouts that I enjoy.

Overall, a beer I will continue to drink periodically, but not one of my top RIS's.

Consumed: 11/9/2009

hayesez, Nov 12, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Pours pitch black an has a nice toffee- brown looking head that sticks around for a while.

S: malt, chocolate, coffee, darkfruit, alcohol

T: Coffee and malt are dominant along with the chocolate

M: very creamy and light on carbonation

D: I've been waiting for this one for a while. Glad to see that there was a bottle sitting in a local establisment for me to finally crack it open. One bomber was enough to make me feel pretty good during monday night football. Go steelers!

beerman207, Nov 10, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured into a tulip glass it produces a 5 mm brown head that leaves little lacing. The color is very dark, almost black, but with no cloudiness. The aroma is very slightly hopped with a hint of coffee. The taste is uber strong roasted coffee and chocolate with malt sweetness and a hint of bitterness. It feels sinfully thick and rich with moderate carbonation. I could drink more than one of these in an evening but my conscience would bother me.

rfabian, Nov 10, 2009

this is my first review in a long time. it's good to be back.

after having a smoke, i cracked open a bottle of this baby, which i had so long been waiting to try, turned on some Explosions in the Sky, and just sippied the shit outta this thing.

The first sip was exactly like experiencing your first good beer- it's perfect. There's ruby candy wine smoke with a flowery berry field vapor finish. the nose is a red wine gingerbread with cinnamon. Oh dear god! This is the best beer I have had in a long time. Has everything- good body, good carbonation, and unbelievable flavor. If you have not yet been able to experience this thing, I suggest you get a bottle as soon as you can. Stone has found a way to put transcendence in a bottle.

Note: On a second tasting, I noticed that the taste can be very similar to sherry at times. This beer is still one of the best I've ever had.

etaggie09, Nov 08, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I picked this up in Clayton.

Appearance- black color, thin but nice tan head

Smell- chocolate, coffee, malt

Taste- chocolate, roated malt, espresso

Mouthfeel- thick, smooth, full bodied

Drinkability- This is awesome. I love it. Perfect for after dinner digestion which is what I need every night!

jeffjeff1, Nov 08, 2009

A nice Imperial Russian Stout. A bit over-hyped but a great brew nevertheless.

Presentation: 22 Oz bottle. Iconic demon gargoyle with Russian hat holding a glass of beer in the front label. Long and typical Stone over-the-top narrative on the back, somewhat tongue-in-cheek rambling playing on the notion of a perfectly crafted sinful brew, including a brief historic note on the style and brew description. Notes bottling date as "Limited Spring 2009 Release". Lacks any other info other than Alc. by Vol (10.5%) and cellaring indications. Poured into a snifter.

A - Black pour with very deep brown edges. Thick light brown foamy head fading to some nice lacing.

S - Chocolate and a bit of roasted coffee over a malt sense hits the nose right away in a very nice balance. Not as intensely aromatic or complex as promised but nice nevertheless.

T - Dark malt flavor, roasted sweetness with small caramel notes and a fruitiness and yeast character typical of most Stone brews. Luckily here it is a note in the background and not that dominant. While flavor is good, again it is not as complex as promised or remembered.

M - Smooth and creamy with adequate carbonation.

D - High drinkability but on this occasion it does not feel particularly remarkable. In fact it is a bit dull towards the end.

Notes: This is one of the brews that early on opened my taste buds to the US craft scene. I must have had one of the early releases since it must have been 01 or 02 when I first had it. I was just amazed at the variety of stouts in the country and almost by chance I ordered to have this one and was psyched to see a bomber land on my table, and totally awed when I tasted it. A lot has happened since and while I still like it, I don't find it as extraordinary as I once did. It might be part of the brew but certainly I have expanded my palate. This revisit to Stone's RIS was nice but fell short of the memories I had from those early years in the US.

Daniellobo, Nov 08, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

22oz bottle split with a friend. 2009. Poured into a pint glass.

A- pours pitch black with just less than a finger of dark brown head that reduces to almost nothing within a minute or two.

S- huge roasted coffee on the nose. some sweet molasses and chocolate in the backround. some pungent stuff, too.

T- tons of chocolate and roasted malts up front and a big bitterness kick in the end blend together to create an awesome coffee/espresso flavor. An extremely well balanced beer for having to blend such big flavors together.

M/D- the feel of this beer is what really sets it off IMO. It's so thick and creamy with just a subtle carbonation to remind you that this beverage is a beer, not something from Starbucks. I could drink a bomber of this stuff every night. At least untill my liver completely shuts down. It's just one of those beer where you can't put down the glass. It is a BIG beer, though, which can slow you down eventually.

Freethyhops, Nov 07, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

poured into pint glass
A: pours dark brown against the glass, looks like runny chocolate syrup pouring from the bottle. four finger head due to bad. pouring, settled very slowly to a finger and a half and laced well. pours almost like it has a widget

S: brown sugar, coffee and caramel. smells thick if thats possible

T: smoky sweet, coffee, dark roasted malt, no noticeable hop. strong coffee and smoke aftertastes

M: creamy and syrupy coating,

D: very drinkable, defiantly not session-able one bomber is enough for one sitting

rootbeerman, Nov 06, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Has pretty much everything I look for in a great stout. Pours black as midnight with a somewhat frothy brown head that remains a thin layer throughout.

S- Deep and rich. Licorice,a ripe red fruit(strawberry?) that really sets this one apart, black currant, tobacco.

T- Milk chocolate, burnt malt. Less fruity than the nose with more of the dry tobacco quality. Vinous with blackberry almost like ruby port.

M- Thick and rich without being syrupy and suprisingly velvety carbonation.

D- Doesn't drink like it's 10.5%. A really well made beer. I agree with Stone, buy a case.

brownbeer, Nov 05, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured a 2007 vintage bomber into a pinot wine glass.

A-Jet black, very dark with a nice 1 finger thick chocolate milk colored head that is very thick and producing nice lacing on the glass. Head dissapated slowly but stayed around the outside of the glass the entire time.

S-Roasted coffee beans and some really dark bitter chocolate, molasses/maple syrup, definate roasted malt smell.

T-Very very dark chocolate but very smooth and creamy, then you get a huge burst of roasted coffee, followed by some date/fig flavors, the hops are nearly gone on this but there is a bitter citrus looming on the finish but not much as the dark malt flavors quickly disperse the bitterness.

M-Nice big/heavy body, very thick beer, as it should be. Alcohol is present but not overpowering. Carbonation is present and definately takes a back seat to the overpowering flavors and alcohol.

D-Very nice Beer, gonna try to finish this bomber by myself. Normally I would share this beer with at least one other person.

Schmaltzy, Nov 04, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Note: this is a 12 oz bottle, released in fall of 2008 in a small batch. I'm not totally sure, but I think these were leftovers from a shipment of IRS to Japan. Either way, it's been laying down for a year, so let's see how that year treated it.

A: This is what an imperial stout should look like. Absolutely jet black in color, so black that the black is radiant/eye-catching (if that makes sense). Head is a thick, dense, and incredibly firm layer of thick, creamy foam, reminiscent of that seen on the finest nitro-stouts, but it's a hell of a lot darker with more texture to boot. Thick lacing all the way down the glass with a solid cap of foam with a central dollop of cream atop the beer throughout. A great looking stout.

S: Aroma is beastly. Dark fudge mashed up with dark roast coffee beans, mixed with molasses and a hearty helping of dark fruits. An oak-like vanilla is present, too. Interestingly enough, there's a substantial waft of citrus hop aroma bellowing out of the glass, as well. The aroma is quite balanced and nuanced, and doesn't seem to be overly burnt or roasted like some others in the style. Still, even at a year there's a decent helping of alcohol that remains. We'll see how the next bottle is a year from now.

T&M: Monster of a beer. Loads and loads of flavor, so I'll just list each in order of its apperance--creamy dark chocolate, espresso, dates, anise, roasted grains, fruity citrus notes in the background. Alcohol has a generous presence, though it contributes much more than it detracts. Body is thicker than oil with a silky, viscous feel. Finish is extremely long and lingers with hoppy bitterness (yes, hoppy!) and a hint of malt flavor. A dry one, for sure.

D: A sipper if there ever was one. Still, the flavors are rich and decadent, though not overpoweringly so. Complexity keeps it very interesting, but it's still balanced and coherent. A well-crafted beer, and one that will need to still sit in my cellar probably another year before I take another crack at it. Still, I'm quite pleased that I decided to open this bottle tonight.

BamaBeerBuff, Nov 03, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -9.4%

Appearance: jet black. Tan head. Opaque. Beautiful.

Smell: nice roasted aromas with some english hop aromas evident. Smells appetizing

Taste: roasted and toasted flavors dominate with a nicely balanced hop bitterness. No hop flavor. Would like a little more rounded and complex malt profile.

Mouthfeel: nice. Not astringent.

Drinkability: excellent sipper. Will have again

Squelch, Nov 03, 2009

We vaulted last night at 0400 hours. A jump behind enemy lines. Thick and black night with a good portion of brown smoke wafting atop in the moonlight. Our purpose is clear, our mission deadly. The dark brown soon fades, leaving a few spots of lace behind in our minds, or perhaps it's the gunfire flashes glancing off of the spots of cloud...
We must not be seen, we must be black as the abyss around us. The deadly aroma fills the air around us, we try to quietly run with our packs and our guns. There is only death or glory. It wafts over us, earthy, sweet and organic, as well as hard and mechanical, the oil from the tanks. Milk chocolate and sweet cream, carob and vanilla bean. The burnt black of oil like so much dark roasted grain, the aroma filling the sky behind us as we trek on, away from one flame and into another.
And the flavour assaults the senses as the aroma had caressed them... Acrid burnt grain and a hint of the smoke that lingers on our fatigues, combined with the mildest milky, lactose-sweet, chocolate flavours, and finishing with a light warming note of alcohol.
Dry, it's dry, and the warmth keeps us from freezing as we press on. We're not as full as we'd like... the body is rather light, actually, for this style, but we have little to change that. The body is thick, don't misunderstand, it has to be. It's simply not as full as the style generally demands.
So we have to trek on, the burns in our thighs, ignore, they don't matter. Press on for a brighter tomorrow, because the world is governed by force. Our heartbeats pound, every breath screams in our heads, Death or Glory, Death or Glory.

khiasmus, Nov 02, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -20.5%

Pours a dark cola color with no light able to get through. There is a brownish head that is thick and gives way to some moderate lacing. The smell is of roasted malts with a hint of chocolate and a slight alcohol smell. The taste is of chocolate tones with a roasted malt backbone, the taste mask the alcohol fairly well, however, the taste of alcohol becomes more prevelant the more you consume this beer. The mouthfeel was silky yet a little slick, the alcohol presence i thought was felt more through the mouthfeel than the taste. Overall it is a very good beer, however, after consuming more and more I began to notice the mouthfeel coming out more and more along with the alcohol, overall a solid good beer.

goblue3509, Nov 02, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

Had a glass of the 2008 Stone IRS on tap at TJ's East Coast/West Coast Throwdown. Reviewing from my detailed notes from that day.

A: Poured into an outward-flared tulip glass. Even held up to light, this beer is completely opaque black. Absolutely no light gets through...not even around the edges. Head is creamy and frothy and dark. Lacing comes in random thin patterns from top to bottom.

S: The dominant aromas here, as one might expect, are dark roasted malts and dark chocolate. The beer has some slight remnants of hops, but more notably, there are some notes of vanilla.

T: In the taste, the roasted malts hit first. The give way to bitter dark chocolate flavors and coffee. Despite the high alcohol, the age has mellowed this beer out nicely. There are also some burned sugars with hints of vanilla hiding in the background.

M/D: The bitterness is biting initially. The finish is dry and malty, incredibly smooth down the pipe. There is a silky character to this beer. Despite the high ABV, this is so delicious that I wish I had some of this every night.

NittanyBeerFan, Oct 31, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

22 ounce bomber sampled from a snifter.

I remember, many years ago, buying a bottle of this with a good friend. This was before our palates had developed, and before we really knew what a RIS actually was. We hated it.

So, here I am today...years later, trying it again. And, right off the bat, the smell is intoxicating.

Pours an excellent shade of black with a nice cream/tan colored, thinly present head. Mostly, there is a bit clinging to the sides of the glass.

Smells of oak, caramel, cedar, vanilla, chocolate. There is some alcohol in the nose, for sure. Smells bitter-sweet...like baker's chocolate.

The taste is creamy, bitter-sweet. Notes of chocolate, brown sugar, maple syrup, espresso.

The alcohol is very present in this one...which I think is why I didn't care for it when I tried it before. But the alcohol is well-balanced, giving a nice, warming sensation as it goes down. It complements the intense flavors involved in this beer, letting them linger for a long time on the tongue and down the back of the throat.

This is a top-notch beer...one to be reckoned with for sure.

movingtrain, Oct 31, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

Spring 2009 Release, so aged a few months.

Appearance-pours a thick, almost opaque, dark brown, with two fingers of fluffy coffee colored head. The head quickly disappears but leaves a nice ring of lacing behind. Tiny streams of bubbles are the only movement you can see in this beer, and they just...don't...stop.

smell-A smoky, heavy, dark chocolate coffee. Notes of dark fruits (raisins and prunes) and molasses. You can definitely smell the alcohol.

taste-Even bigger than the smell. There is the initial heavy bitter taste, but it's also very sweet, with a heavy molasses taste and hints of brown sugar. Again, there's a very smoky, earthy taste, along with the taste of roast coffee beans, and again, there's the taste of raisins and prunes. You can taste the alcohol, but remarkably very little for the ABV.

mouthfeel-Very good. Enough carbonation to keep it easy to drink, but also very smooth and creamy.

Drinkability-Very drinkable. The fact that it goes down so smoothly and that the alcohol is masked so well is even more impressive.

afausser, Oct 31, 2009
4.28/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a scored tulip. Beer is BLACK as night, thick, forms a very thin head of brown tiny bubbles. The head falls away quickly leaving almost nothing behind in the way of the head but a lot of lacing, especially considering the tiny scale of the original head.

Smell is far weaker than I was expecting. There is some sweetness, some malt, not a lot of roast and I can detect some alcohol in there as well. No hop aroma.

Mouthfeel is good, not too thick not thin at all. The flavor is sweet, with a lot of roast in the back. I can taste some of the alcohol. High drinkability. The roast completely clears leaving no aftertaste. This is a superb RIS.

drabmuh, Oct 29, 2009
3.08/5  rDev -29%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

reviewed fresh

poured into a schnifter. pours a thick black with a half finger of fairly thin brown head which disappears rather quickly but leaves a nice ring of lacing.

smell has a lot of alchohol heat. any malt characteristics are incredibly hidden by the alcohol.

taste has a much more even balance of things. there is alot of flavor for a quick second but then goes into alchohol madness. pretty intense if i do say so myself.

goes down really smooth but leaves a stinging in your heart from the strong alchohol presence

drinkability: i wouldnt recommend this one to any beer newbies as it is very intense with alchohol. i also would recommend putting some age on it and not drinking it fresh.

good beer though

northaustin, Oct 27, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a thick, opaque black. No back lit highlights or varying hues, this beer is black as pitch. The head is nice and brown, dissipates into a nice frothy ring around the edge of the beer.

Smell is very big. Lots of roasted malt, dark fruit sweetness, bitter chocolate, molasses and a distinct presence of alcohol. This beer isn't kidding around or trying to be subtle.

Just like the smell suggests, the taste is huge. Viscous, nearly syrupy mouth feel with just enough carbonation. Creamy and sweet up front, molasses and dark fruit, perhaps some hints of chocolate. Bitter and roasted flavors come through next, lingering into the aftertaste which also has a decent alcohol presence. Very creamy throughout.

This is one hell of a beer. Would definitely be enjoyable if it were 20 below. Had an 07 vintage of this a few days ago, still had a big alcohol kick but the molasses sweetness and fruit came through much more.

ClevoPiwo, Oct 26, 2009
Stone Imperial Russian Stout from Stone Brewing Co.