Stone Imperial Russian Stout - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Imperial Russian StoutStone Imperial Russian Stout

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.60% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-21-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Imperial Russian Stout Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev -4.8%

Bomber to pint glass
A: Pours jet black with a nice inch, dark brown and chocolatey head.
S: Chocolate, berries. Not much aroma.
T: Taste is very interesting and very good. Chocolate and blackberries mix well and distinctly remind me of a Godiva chocolate bar with fruit. Good, but odd at the same time...definetly something that you have to try.
M: So creamy and thick. Sticks to your tongue.
D: No trace of the alcohol. Don't think I could drink more than a bomber in a night. Definetly a stout that I would buy a few times a year as a treat to myself.

pbr85, May 13, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Sweet sweet sweet

a: Very dark brown, almost black with decent tan head. Nearly no lacing.
s:Smells of chocolate malts
t:Sweetness permeates every aspect of this brew. Even the alcohol, which is very well hidden, has a sweetness about it.
m:Chewy, meaty mouth
d:A bit sweet for my tastes but good.

Notes: first time I had this I had some roquefort cheese and white grapes. Very nice indeed. I followed that with some Indian foods including a vegi dosa. The Indian food went perfectly with this brew. I'd give it all fives if rating was on that.

NiceGuyMike, May 12, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +8.3%

A green-as-green-can be bomber from the Spring 2006 release. Luckily I have two more I'm cellaring so I can see what happens hopefully much later down the road. But of course I had to crack one open now.

I figure the Duvel tulip would be a good outlet for tasting this sucker, so here we go.

Appearance: Blacker than the back of your eyelids. Yes, this is as opaque as can be. I recently washed the glass before I poured it in, so there's not much lacing and not much head, but I'm giving it a 4 on the account of the fact that it has to be the glass. I need to make it a point to never do this again.

Smell: Even green this is awesome. Lots of dark, rich, unsweetened chocolate, tons of malt and the tinge of bittering and curbing hops to quell it all. There's some mocha, some fresh ground coffee beans, a bit of black licorice, some dark dark cherries and fruit, and the slightest amount of anise. I don't get the toasted and burnt feel of the malt as much, though--could it be the hops that are making this so?

Taste: Smooth, really smooth--tons of malt, chocolate, the oh-so-nice-amount of bitterning hops, and finally some burnt and toasted malt characteristics. Finishes with notes of raisins, toffee, slight vanilla, dark fruit, unsweetened and strong chocolate, and, once again, the lingering presence of the hops to sustain its longevity. I can't imagine this later down the road. Green's my new favorite color, ya'll.

Mouthfeel: Hugely thick and coating with the carbonation levels high when they need to be high, though they're the back-up singers, so to speak, in the mix. This does nothing but contribute to the finish. Silktastic.

Drinkability: Yes, I'll have another. My advice is drink one now and save a bunch for later. On the bottle they suggest a case! That's why I love Stone. They know what they're about, and if I had the funds right now I would snag one in an instant. There's a reason this beer is so highly regarded.

asabreed, May 11, 2006

Served into a snifter:

Appearance: This stout pours a deep dark black liquid with possibly the darkest creamy looking head that I have ever put eyes on. As I swirl this fine beer in my glass I notice the syrupy legs running down ever so slowly, Leaveing behind minimal laceing.

Smell: The aromas are woody, a sweetened chocolately coffee bean malt, a vague trace of soy sauce, a touch of cherries, some bready and/or doughy notes as well. All of these combine to create a most superb scent. Not much hops in the nose, but I can definitely detect an alcohol presence. Very nice aromas indeed!

Taste: The flavors are absolutely stunning. Very much like the nose the flavors consist of milk and dark chocolate, cafe latte coffee with a hint of vanilla extract, a quaffable alcohol sweetness that makes this beer very smooth. It has the bready notes as well as a nice roastiness that seems to balance everything to become one. Oh yea, did I mention that this beer is balanced, wow!

Mouthfeel: Smooth and silky redefined! The alcohol helps to make this not so thick as it is satiny smooth. Just a pleasure to drink. Its like thin motor oil. A full mouthfeel that is on the leaner side of heavy with a carbonation that is really not detected aside from the wonderful head.

Drinkability: The high abv % does not hurt the drinkability at all. In fact, im in a very pleasant if not giddy mood now. This is just about as close as you can get to a perfect Imperial stout. I concentrated very hard on not being swayed in my review by the hype that this beer gets. But let me be the first to say BELIEVE THE HYPE!

-Cheers2Beers-

cheers2beers, May 10, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

2006

I got three bottles of this stuff, and after this first one, I am sure am glad. My plan is to open up the next one in 6 months, and the next 6 months after that.... hopefully I can wait.

Poured a deep dark black color with a medium tan color head almost like old used motor oil. Had a fusal hops, with chocolate and coffee. Very nice aroma. The flavor was more of the same with lots of chocolate and coffee. A very sweet almost like molasses. Has a fusal hob bitterness that helped mellow it all out very nicely. Wonderful flavor. Mouthfeel is chewable. This was one of the thickest mouthfeels I've had. Mild carbonation. Exceptional beer.

jabocu, May 10, 2006
3.63/5  rDev -16.4%

Pours an absolutel black, with a very, very sparse flecking of tan foam. It would take one heck of a pour to get a head out of this.

Smells of soy, beef jerky, dates, and apricots. Not sure where this soy/teriyaki smell is coming from, but it's pretty distinct.

Tastes of plums, rum, cinnamon, sourdough, and a hint of soy sauce (again with that element, it's almost distracting).

Mouthfeel is big, bold, and a warming alcohol finish. Just enough carbonation to keep this heavy, heavy syrup from becoming a fork-and-knife event.

With the alcohol, and the persistant aftertaste of soy sauce, I really think last year's batch was much easier to drink, which is really too bad. I had my hopes set extremely high for this beer.

waldowin, May 10, 2006
3.93/5  rDev -9.4%

Sampled on-tap at the Brookline Publick House, to match with the huge-ass order of ribs I had there.

Appearance: I just love staring at the black hole sun that only seems to radiate out of RIStouts. Great creamy mocha head looked like a fine Italian espresso.

Smell: It even smelled like a good coffee, with some sprinkles of lake champlain Tanzanian dark chocolate. Piney hop effluves slowly creeped up and alcohol in the finale was and soothing.

Taste: Surprisingly smooth at first, the hop astringency gradually comes along in the end, making a kind of wave that's creamy, then just a bit sweet, then bitter and warm from the alcohol. I wouldn't drink tons of this stuff, but when I have a feel for a RIS I wouldn't mind having some of this.

Goldorak, May 10, 2006
3.88/5  rDev -10.6%

2006

I bought a couple of bottles of this because I am a Stone fan more than I am a fan of stouts. When I first poured this into my glass I was blown away. It was as dark as old used motor oil and the head was a dark chocolatey brown color. I actually took it outside and held it up to the sun and I could not see through it... cool!

The smell was not overpowering, but a nice chocoalte coffee aroma. The taste was good, I was not blown away maybe because I am not a fan of stouts. But this was by far the best stout I have ever had and it had nice very balaced hoppy flavor. The after taste was a nice malty flavor that diappeared quickly. The one think I noticed was the lack of the flavor of alcohol, it a beer that is 10.8% you should taste some alcohol, but I did not really taste it. The mouthfeel was good, nice and thick and it coated you mouth well.

Overall a really interesting beer that I enjoyed. I think was made this beer really unique is the fact that it is so new and already balanced really well without the taste of alcohol... Give it a try if you get a chance.

BradBLR, May 08, 2006
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

2006

Dense, jet black color with a thin brown head - nice lacing at first but more of a slick coating as it warms. Rich aroma of roasted chocolate malts, complex vinous fruits, sweetened coffee, and alcohol. Thick, intense flavor - rich malts, charred grains, and dark fruits. The alcohol is clearly evident but not a problem - nicely warming on the throat. This is thick viscous stuff, oh yes...lusciously smooth and warm.

This could most likely chill in the cellar for a while to bring out the best of it, but it is pretty damn complex as it is now. Obviously a big, serious brew; one bomber's probably enough for one sitting. A rather tasty stout though, if I may say so myself, but it can only get better after sitting around a while...

wedge, May 08, 2006
4.78/5  rDev +10.1%

2006
As black as it gets, with an inviting warm brown head. Ring forms for the duration and leaves bits of lace about the glass. Aroma of sweet roasted caramel, espresso, burnt black fruits, and extra dark bittersweet chocolate. Taste is loaded with constant luscious awesome. Burnt roasted coffee bean, velvety cocoa, sun ripened raisons, cherries, rasberries, plums, black grapes, and the list goes on. Hop character peels through the density giving an added variety to the sea of dark beery goodness. Mouthfeel is thick like a heavy cashmere winter blanket. Viscous feel as it moves slow motion around your mouth. An oh so long finish coats your mouth. The rich juicy charred fruits and espresso flavor is constant throughout the session. After one sip I wonder if my mouth will ever feel dry or empty again. Drinkability is smooth and easy especially for such a complex, thick, and high alcohol beer.

GREAT

tastybeer, May 08, 2006
3.75/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

2006 bottle. Pours jet black with a small, creamy, tan head. Quickly fading, no lacing. The aroma is very sweet - golden grapes, chocolates and figs. Overall, the nose is suprisingly mellow for a monster Imperial Stout. Flavor is also very sweet - lots of dark fruit, chocolate, molases, becoming bitter and roasted at the end when some coffee and dark chocolates come in. Finish is long, sweet and slightly bitter with a heavy dose of warm alcohol. The mouthfeel is big, rich, creamy and coating. This one is a bit too hot for me, lets hope it mellows with some age.

artusory, May 06, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +4.8%

2006 spring release...

Pours an absolutely pitch black with good sized head. Very cloying to the sides of my glass. This looks to be a thick one.

Smell is of roasted malts dark ripe fruits, mocha, some chocolate, maybe ever alittle smokiness. A wonderful smell. There is alcohol too which is very apparent, but for some reason isn't harsh.

The taste was up front solid, roasted, malts which was backed by wine like cassis and coffee flavors. The final hit is of smoke and a lingering alcohol kick. Very complex.

The overall mouthfeel was good. It was alittle too astringent for my taste , but its what i expect a russian imperial stout should be like. The only thing i didn't like was how the acidity seemed to become more powerful as i drank more of the beer. Also for some reason this beer was not as fullbodied as i expected from such a dark beer.

Overall you can def down more than one of these beers easily. If you love RIS's then this is the beer for you without a doubt. Also i think with age this beer will be unstoppable. I'll try and review one again months from now and see if i can tell the difference.

Drunk Responcibly;) -Matt

mattpetti, May 06, 2006
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Ah, a bomber of quality Imperial Russian stout, indeed a pretty sight. At least as good as a jug of sack, but slightly easier to find for us if not Falstaff. That said, I wish more places near me brought Stone to the table. Usually I have to go Brooklyn for it, as in this case. This is a 220z of the 2004 limited early summer release and has some comical Russian themed randomness on the bottle.
Color is black as night. The beer has no head as it pours, develops one after and it slowly dissolves back to nothing like a perfect circle. The color is pure jet black with tannish lacing and head scraps. Nose is pure coffee malt on overdrive with pine, sugar, and dairy. Alcohol dances lightly in the backround. This is an attractive beer.
Coffee and malt sugar combine in a flavorful but not overwhelming taste with an almost eternal aftertaste. The alcohol is present but understated for the size. Mouthfeel is good but not perfect. Definitely more bitter than many stouts of similar size and reputation.
This isn't quite the greatest stout I've ever had but I will definitely be looking for it again soon.

daliandragon, May 03, 2006
4.9/5  rDev +12.9%

OK again BLACK! Truly [again as pretty much expected] One of the darkest head I've remember seeing. Doesn't last long, and no lace, but that seems pretty typical (?) This is so good! This seems perfectly balanced right now... I'm glad i bought several, but don't know if i will be able to keep any in the "cellar". I "upped" this a bit from the previous review, but ...right now i'd go buy a case of this right now! [if it wasn't a 50 mile drive]
GREAT BEER as stone does now and again!!!

ReDave, May 02, 2006
3.93/5  rDev -9.4%

2006 Edition served in the Stone RIS tulip glass

A: Pours midnight black with a brown 1-1/2 finger head that subsides to a wispy layer of foam. Not much lacing.

S: Full aromas of chocolate, anise, and alcohol.

T: More hop presence than last year's (as I remember) with some typical chocolate and coffee flavors attempting to sneak through but covered by strong alcoholic and metallic tastes. This one needs to wait a bit.

M: Thick and creamy with light-moderate carbonation.

D: Last year's edition was the best beer that I've ever had to date, and this year's was a bit of a dissapointment to me. This is still one of the best beers out there, but not as good as I remember. I'll be cellaring the rest of my bottles in hopes that the flavor will smooth out.

klewis, May 02, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

This bottle came from the "Limited Spring 2006 Release." I received it as a gift for my 30th birthday party, and what a gift it turned out to be.

This one practically oozed out of the bottle: a thick, black, hearty beverage with a thin layer of brown foam that quickly settled and left a shallow pool of carbonation in its wake.

The odor was a mix of coffee, caramel, and cherries.

One sip and I thought to myself, "Good god this is tasty." The coffee flavor came through immediately, but heavy, almost like tar, yet not overpowering. This was followed by a mildly bitter sweetness akin to some red wines. The alcohol is also clearly present but not overpowering. Aftertaste is mainly coffee with a splash of caramel.

I held a gulp in my mouth and could feel the tingling of carbonation, but other than that the drink is soothing on the palate, with no burning alcohol sensation.

I'm not that familiar with imperial Russian stouts, and I bought this one with a skeptical mind despite all the hype, thinking it might be a little too winey for me, but it's nice. I'm taking it slowly, but I could easily see myself making short work of this treat if I wasn't consciously pacing myself. And at almost 11% ABV, I think it would be wise to give this one time.

The best part is, it's still a very young beer, and I'm fully prepared to follow the advice on the bottle:

"We recommend getting a case and opening a bottle every three to six months to best enjoy its journey."

I love Stone as it is, but this beer is on another level.

I've just poured the remaining contents of the bottle. My glass is literally hissing at me. Or is it the gargoyle on the bottle? Stone doesn't mess around.

instrumentality, May 01, 2006
4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip. This brew poured the darkest black wherein no light permeated. Nice chocoalte milkshake head that fades quick but leaves the tiniest layer throughout. Smells strong of alcohol and cinnamon with notes of plum and pomegranate. Taste is sweet with notes of coffee. The gentle hops play off the moderate vinous taste. Alcohol is clearly present but is overwhelmed by a nice complexity. As it warms, green apple and vanilla notes make their prescence known. A giant among beers. Mouthfeel is chewy and creamy. Drinkability is hindered because the alcohol does play prominently in taste. Overall, a big complex beer that leaves you with a warmth and a sense of what went into its creation.

Bleedingshrimp, May 01, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

2004 Bottle purchased at American Beer Distributing Company in Brooklyn (felt pretty lucky to come across this gem). Not sure how well it was stored, so was a bit worried when I cracked it open. Wish I had done it with a vertical, but oh well - will have to compare based on memory.

A: Pours a jet black with a thick tan head. Very pretty.

S/T: Big hop presence. Certainly not overwhelming though, as the roasted malts and chocolate/vanilla swirl flavors compensate quite nicely. It wasnt till the last 6-8 oz. or so of the bomber that the alcohol presence started to make itself known (I think it tasted better without it).

M/D: Strangely, I felt the brew was much more carbonated than the last sample I had had. Swirling it in my mouth didn't leave the sticky chewiness that I expected - slightly less full-bodied. Drinkability was very high at the beginning, but as I said, the alcohol started to come across at the end (as I began to get a bit intoxicated).

Fantastic brew overall. I think the aging worked well - though not to such a drastic effect as I had anticipated. I would say that at most it was a bit more subdued. Not sure if hte increased carbonation was a part of it (I would have expected the opposite).

Lnedrive14, Apr 30, 2006
4.3/5  rDev -0.9%

2005 edition, stored cold over the past 9 months.

Pours absolutely opaque with a dark tan head. There's some serious dark malt in this baby. Aroma of dark toffee, faint chocolate, dark toasty malt )almost pumpernickel, maybe brown bread) and alcohol.

Who needs dinner? Hugely chewy - starts with a brown bread toastiness then all malt hell breaks loose. Vast flavor - between the bittering hops and roasted malt, those taste buds are happy, and in the meantime the rest of the brew goes to work with dark, fruity maltiness and a serious warming surge of alcohol to accompany. Finished with a long, lasting alcoholic vapor and bittersweet dark malt. Huge. And hugely enjoyable.

Given the strength two would be plenty - but many other brews of this heft (I smoked a pork shoulder with less meatiness) would have me shouting "No mas!" after one bottle. Damned fine brew.

sponberg, Apr 30, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

Just as a driver's ed teacher would say "the car is not a toy" a wise beer drinker might say the same of this beer. Yank off the cap, and gaze in wonder as the glass slowly fills with magnificent ebony liquid. This liquid is so dark that the head looks more like the froth on top of a chocolate milk shake. Nose seems restrained to me. I get loads of choclate and espresso. Taste starts off with sweet chocolate syrup, giving way to cocoa and then coffee. Finish is like your mouth after swallowing a mocha. I suppose I would have liked a tad more bitterness.
Now the mouthfeel is where this beer shines like a spotlight. It coats the mouth like an oil spill. The carbonation is like a fragile work of art. Delicately spilling over the tongue and the rest of the mouth. If I had the means I would be happy to drink this whenever I craved a stout. The reputation is well deserved.

TheBungyo, Apr 29, 2006

Highlights:

Taste: Like most stouts, this one is best consumed just under room temp. I made the mistake of chilling it in the fridge for 3 hours. When I first tasted this stout I was unimpressed. But the more it warmed up the more it showed it's true character. Chocolate, coffee and dark malts swirl together to give this beer depth. This is the sort of beer you just sit back and contemplate.

Ap: This stout is as thick as they come. Pitch black and as dark and syrupy as used motor oil. The head was thick and creamy.

Thoughts: This is just as good as the Victory Storm King Stout in all categories except taste. But This is not a 4.5 beer in the taste department so I deducted .5 from the drinkability score. I think storm king has a little more going on in the taste department but that is not to slam this great. beer. But there can only be one top stout and this one makes a good case for that title. Excellent in every way.

maddamish, Apr 29, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +2.5%

2006 edition

stone imperial russian stout pours a pure blackness color. no light what so ever shinning threw. has a nice little dark brown head that fades away quickly.

this had a really really extreme alcoholic aroma. it was a little of a turn down at first, but as i dipped my nose deeper in into the snifter, i smelt some hops and beef jurky which kind of cought me off guard. very unique.

taste is great. a great hop and chocolaty malt flavor. everything is perfectly balanced. not one thing overpowers another.

feels nice and smooth on the palate. smooth and very chewy.

another great drinkable brew by stone. this one's a sipper though so be carefull with it.

deuschbag, Apr 28, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +4.8%

2006 release poured from a 22oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep brownish black, with a thick brown head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: It has a rich coffee roast & dark chocolate aroma with a little bit of hops & alcohol. The smell has a robust quality to it that lets you know right away that this beer doesn’t mess around.

T: The taste is an excellently balanced, rich flavor of coffee & chocolate, roasted malt and a touch of hops. As Stone does so well, it’s not overly sweet, but not bitter and STILL masks the 10.80% ABV.

M: Full-bodied, extremely smooth, medium carbonation, leaves a clean finish without any syrupy or oily residue which I would attribute to the fact that the sweetness isn’t excessive.

D: This beer is treacherously drinkable because it’s so smooth & tasty and the ABV is well hidden in the taste. It also is not filling unlike other stouts that I’ve had. Given all of that, this beer can do some heavy damage if you go with it for some time. Unfortunately for me, I won’t be able to test myself beyond the one bomber that I had.

This is an excellent beer. I know that by the time I make it back to the store where I got this beer, it will all be gone. While I consider myself lucky to have gotten the beer, I’m cursing myself for not buying more of it. I guess I learned my lesson for next year.

TheManiacalOne, Apr 27, 2006
4.28/5  rDev -1.4%

Limited spring 2006 release pours from the STD.Stone 22oz. bomber a rather thick, black-licorice with a cocoa brown inch of foamy head. Very stout indeed.

Comes to the nose sweet, dark and alcoholic...whoa! Black currants, dark roasted coffee, black patent malt and a truck load of alcohol fill my nasel cavity.

Initially sweet, strong , black malt of a coffee flavor loads the tastebuds. Powerful, almost puckering rich, toasty (almost burnt) flavor that doesn't quite know when to quit...astonishing complexity. When you finally do find the time to swallow this amazing elixer, it goes down, ever so smooth and warming, with the pefectly bitter balance of a finish. A lingering, gourmet coffee like aftertaste that satisfies, yet makes the taste senses yearn for more...and more...and...

This is a full bodied beer if there ever was one...thick, some what chewy, velvety smooth in the mouth with a warming of alcohol, that make it a stout that's a "must try, or you'll really be missing out" great STOUT!

Can't recommend this one enough, get some or you'll be sorry. And don't forget to get some for your thirsty cellar !!!

scottoale, Apr 26, 2006
4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

New 2006 release. Thick inky black pour, no real head, just dark tan swirly foam. Aroma is nice and strong, with intense coffee notes, very roasty, with hints of light chocolate and black currant/dark fruits. Alcohol not very strong in the nose. The taste is rather dry, and mostly like coffee, with chocolate undertones. Moderately bitter, the alcohol taste is slight, but becomes strong over time. Thick mouthfeel, but smooth and slick feeling. This beer goes down easily, until the alcohol catches up to you, but I am looking forward to cellaring for awhile, because as it stands this stout lacks the depth to be a top 10 or even top 100 brew yet.

bennetj17, Apr 25, 2006
Stone Imperial Russian Stout from Stone Brewing Co.