Stone Imperial Russian Stout - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Imperial Russian StoutStone Imperial Russian Stout

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.60% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-21-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Imperial Russian Stout Alström Bros
4.7/5  rDev +8.3%

Wow!
Probably the best stout I have ever tasted.
Dark brown maple syrup color and aroma.
Thin tan head.
Aromas of oak, nut, maple,anise, black currant, coffee.
Smooth, velvety coating mouthfeel.
FULL BODIED!
Very drinkable for a 10% abv.
Coffee with cream? Tootsie Roll.

BillyB, May 17, 2006
4.85/5  rDev +11.8%

Summer '06 Release

So much hype. So long of a wait (just arrived locally last week). So economical ($6/bottle).

A: Pitch black topped with 1-2 fingers of chocolate brown head. No lacing to speak of. Doesn't lure me in, but does intrigue me.

S: Sweet alcohol and raisins. Chocolate and coffee hints. Subtle and enjoyable, but doesn't amaze me. More than good, but not quite there yet.

T: Coffee and chocolate. Sweet and subtle. Hops seem to appear afterwards. Balanced and clean finish.

M: Creamy and full. Heavy and light all at once. Dense and thick then it disappears.

D: Wanted this to be hard to drink, but I can't put it down. Could buy a case (especially at that price) and drink it all day. +10% does not show up at all.

Notes: Once it got in my mouth, it was perfect. There was so much build up. Was it justified or overhyped? I think it was justified, but not the perfect beer yet. We will see how it does in a few months and years (4 in the cellar so far, and more to join them soon).

kdmorse, May 16, 2006
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

2006 Spring Release. Pours out of the bottle a viscous black with a minimal head that settles quickly.

Aromas arent very potent, I really have to stick my nose in the glass to pick up its smells. Some dark roasted coffee notes with sweet chocolate like characteristics. Very light dark berry flavor comes through and finishes with light hops and an alcohol warming.

The mouthfeel is exceptional, big thick viscous and sticky and is amazingly velvety over my palate. Really quite incredible.
Pretty decent drinkability for the abv, no problems finishing the bomber.

Notes: Still very tastey, definatley is different from previous years, not quite as pronounced aromas and the flavors are not as big and billowing as in previous releases, much more creamy and no big defined currant flavors. Still a good sipping brew though and the mouthfeel I'd say improved. An interesting beer to follow year to year.

Matthew, May 16, 2006
3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

2006 release:

Appearance: Black and completely opaque. Kind of unimpressive ruddy brown head with sub-par retention. Still, this is one mean-looking brew.

Smell: Burnt sugar and burnt coffee, anise, light tamari notes, figs, hazelnuts, and peaty tannins. Subtle alcohol. Mild DMS. This doesn't seem as strong as last year's model.

Taste: The darkest chocolate, the blackest coffee, and the spiciest 151-proof rum en flambé. Rough black currant, vanilla extract, and anise. Finish is lush with chocolate and somewhat acrid. This is a rude, rude brew. I dig it, but it does not live up to the hype, in my opinion.

Mouthfeel: Lighter than anticipated but still damn thick. Pleasantly clean yet still exceptionally creamy and chewy. I wouldn't be able to tell for sure without a side-by-side comparison, but I think this is an improvement over last year's.

Drinkability: Pretty rough on the palate and the tract, but fairly savorable. Would probably benefit from some time in the cellar. I really can't believe this is the second-best beer in the world, but what do I know?

Edit: I am having trouble finishing the bomber, so down goes the drinkablity score. Honestly, people, what is with the obsession over this beer? I'm not sure that tasting heavier than "Siberian crude" is really such a good thing.

soulgrowl, May 15, 2006
3.38/5  rDev -22.1%

2006 release, 22 oz bottle

Pours out thick and black from the bottle into a Chimay goblet, with a light brown half inch head.

Like the bottle says, the aroma is of anise, dark fruits, alcohol, and roastiness. However alcohol seems to be the most dominant.

Taste is similar to the smell, anise, dark fruits and alcohol. Some roastiness in there as well, but not as much as the smell. No hops to balance the sweetness. Very cloying.

Nicely cabonated and a fairly light body for an imperial stout. The carbonation is lost about half way through my glasss however.

Average drinkability. The sweetness definitely hinders this. It seems like a chore to finish the whole bottle. The 2005 release was so much better than this. It seems odd that this was the same recipe. My other two 2006 release bottles will remain in my basement for a year or two, hopefully developing some positive characteristics.

ej285701, May 15, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

22oz bottle, served in my Sam Adams Chocolate Bock glass.

One of the nicest pours I've encountered. Absolutely black, but perhaps a bit thin to the pour.

Smell was not strong at first, but the aroma of chocolate and coffee/cream peaks though, especially after the first sip.

Taste - awesome, I agree with many of the other comments - much sweeter than previous years. More so, I can barely taste the hops until the beer is about room temperature. So, colder for those who are in less favor of hops - and warmer for those who enjoy IPAs and hops. It is a win-win.

I feel this may get a bit better in time, maybe 6 months to a year, so I am reserved about rating it 5's, as I agree that should be a rare thing given.

Alcohol is not an issue with this beer, I would have guessed about 6% with this, certainly not 10.8%. They did an excellent job at not making this too strong.

Overall, absolutely worth a shot - of you find it in the stores, pick up a few. Try one, save some, try them again. Definitely worth it.

Enjoy and Cheers.

HimerMan, May 15, 2006
4.88/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured jet black with a fairly thin, but extremely well-retained tan head.
The smell was mainly of rich, roasted coffee with a touch of alcohol. It was slightly thin, but what was there was very inviting.
The taste was incredible...I drank it before reading the label -which describes it perfectly - It was a complex mixture of coffee, licorice (anise), chocolate-like berries (black currants)...and a slight charcoal-like smoke malt...but, as my roommate (who had the good fortune of sharing it with me) pointed out - each one was like a different level. It was like eating a rich layer cake. You could taste the different levels individually.
The mouthfeel was silky smooth. Perfect.
The drinkability...well, if it weren't for a budget and alcohol-content - I could drink it endlessly...
This is a beautiful beer...
I was prepared to be a bit disappointed because of the hype, which is sometimes overrated. But, in this case the hype was well-grounded!

jwc215, May 15, 2006
4.78/5  rDev +10.1%

(2005 Vintage)

Appearance: Oh my, yes. Pours out a rich, inticing jet black body. The foamy tan-colored head recedes quickly.

Smell: The welcome aroma delivers a sweet scent filled with rich espresso, roasted barley, molasses, and anise. A soft scent of port wine can also be found here. Lastly, an inspiriting alcohol vapor fills the nose.

Taste: While tasting this beer I scribbled some complimentary notes down on a notepad, but didn't get all of them because I went through the world's entire supply of ink and paper in the process.

The world's entire supply of ink and paper, I said.

That said, this brew is tremendously malty, with sharp notes of coffee and chocolate. Undertones of vanilla and molasses are present as well. Hop flavor is gentle, barely peeking through the immense gamut of flavors present. Yes, the alcohol is apparent, but quite soothing.

The long finish leaves a sustaining roasted flavor on the tongue. Delicious.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied and quite chewy at times, while maintaining an unequaled velvety texture.

Drinkability: The very best RIS I've tasted yet.

So, yeah, I liked it. I had very high expectations for this beer, and it met every single one of them.

Thankfully.

(My thanks to AndoBrew for sharing this one with me.)

ChainGangGuy, May 14, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance: Pitch black liquid graced with a rich and foamy chocolate milk head. The head bubbles ominously, evoking images of the contents of a witch's cauldron. Good retention. Lacing is somewhat shy.

Smell: Chocolatey malts, currants, spice, and alcohol. A spot medicinal in the nose. Not the beer's best attribute.

Taste: Sumptuous chocolate, roasted malts, and oh those currants. If it weren't written on the bottle, I would have never put my finger on that taste. Caramel and sugar, and perhaps some vanilla. Superb flavor.

Mouthfeel: Intensely creamy and warming. Robustly full body, and a tinge of carbonation. Quite luxurious on the tongue.

Drinkability: Rather addicting really. Delicious flavor leaves one yearning for more. The alcohol doesn't hide in the taste, but regardless, this one is highly drinkable.

clabaugh, May 13, 2006
4.28/5  rDev -1.4%

Presentation: 22 oz Bomber, Spring '06 Edition

Appearance: Absolutly pitch black. Deep tan to dark toffee head that settles down to a top covering quit quickly. Lacing is decent.

Smell: Deep malts of chocolate, coffee beans, toffee. Dark fruits with caramel drizzled on top.

Taste: Suttleties of the smell quickly overwhelme the tongue. Protruding out of this black liquid comes tastes of dark chocolate, coffee (no sugar or cream thanks), toffee with a splash of caramel. A bit of hops creep up on you, but are pushed back by the onslaught of malts which ends with some roasted nuts and toast.

Mouthfeel: Absolutly one of the smoothest beers I've ever had. Slight carbonation, slicked from the slight levels of hops which seem to have a greater effect on the mouthfeel than the taste palate.

Drinkability: 10.8%... go figure... never would have known this as the alcohol is hidden to near perfection. Could drink quite a bit of this... pass that bomber back over here. Unfortunately did not live up to the quite high expectations I had, but certainly a very enjoyable experience.

jslot38, May 13, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -4.8%

Bomber to pint glass
A: Pours jet black with a nice inch, dark brown and chocolatey head.
S: Chocolate, berries. Not much aroma.
T: Taste is very interesting and very good. Chocolate and blackberries mix well and distinctly remind me of a Godiva chocolate bar with fruit. Good, but odd at the same time...definetly something that you have to try.
M: So creamy and thick. Sticks to your tongue.
D: No trace of the alcohol. Don't think I could drink more than a bomber in a night. Definetly a stout that I would buy a few times a year as a treat to myself.

pbr85, May 13, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Sweet sweet sweet

a: Very dark brown, almost black with decent tan head. Nearly no lacing.
s:Smells of chocolate malts
t:Sweetness permeates every aspect of this brew. Even the alcohol, which is very well hidden, has a sweetness about it.
m:Chewy, meaty mouth
d:A bit sweet for my tastes but good.

Notes: first time I had this I had some roquefort cheese and white grapes. Very nice indeed. I followed that with some Indian foods including a vegi dosa. The Indian food went perfectly with this brew. I'd give it all fives if rating was on that.

NiceGuyMike, May 12, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +8.3%

A green-as-green-can be bomber from the Spring 2006 release. Luckily I have two more I'm cellaring so I can see what happens hopefully much later down the road. But of course I had to crack one open now.

I figure the Duvel tulip would be a good outlet for tasting this sucker, so here we go.

Appearance: Blacker than the back of your eyelids. Yes, this is as opaque as can be. I recently washed the glass before I poured it in, so there's not much lacing and not much head, but I'm giving it a 4 on the account of the fact that it has to be the glass. I need to make it a point to never do this again.

Smell: Even green this is awesome. Lots of dark, rich, unsweetened chocolate, tons of malt and the tinge of bittering and curbing hops to quell it all. There's some mocha, some fresh ground coffee beans, a bit of black licorice, some dark dark cherries and fruit, and the slightest amount of anise. I don't get the toasted and burnt feel of the malt as much, though--could it be the hops that are making this so?

Taste: Smooth, really smooth--tons of malt, chocolate, the oh-so-nice-amount of bitterning hops, and finally some burnt and toasted malt characteristics. Finishes with notes of raisins, toffee, slight vanilla, dark fruit, unsweetened and strong chocolate, and, once again, the lingering presence of the hops to sustain its longevity. I can't imagine this later down the road. Green's my new favorite color, ya'll.

Mouthfeel: Hugely thick and coating with the carbonation levels high when they need to be high, though they're the back-up singers, so to speak, in the mix. This does nothing but contribute to the finish. Silktastic.

Drinkability: Yes, I'll have another. My advice is drink one now and save a bunch for later. On the bottle they suggest a case! That's why I love Stone. They know what they're about, and if I had the funds right now I would snag one in an instant. There's a reason this beer is so highly regarded.

asabreed, May 11, 2006
4.9/5  rDev +12.9%

Served into a snifter:

Appearance: This stout pours a deep dark black liquid with possibly the darkest creamy looking head that I have ever put eyes on. As I swirl this fine beer in my glass I notice the syrupy legs running down ever so slowly, Leaveing behind minimal laceing.

Smell: The aromas are woody, a sweetened chocolately coffee bean malt, a vague trace of soy sauce, a touch of cherries, some bready and/or doughy notes as well. All of these combine to create a most superb scent. Not much hops in the nose, but I can definitely detect an alcohol presence. Very nice aromas indeed!

Taste: The flavors are absolutely stunning. Very much like the nose the flavors consist of milk and dark chocolate, cafe latte coffee with a hint of vanilla extract, a quaffable alcohol sweetness that makes this beer very smooth. It has the bready notes as well as a nice roastiness that seems to balance everything to become one. Oh yea, did I mention that this beer is balanced, wow!

Mouthfeel: Smooth and silky redefined! The alcohol helps to make this not so thick as it is satiny smooth. Just a pleasure to drink. Its like thin motor oil. A full mouthfeel that is on the leaner side of heavy with a carbonation that is really not detected aside from the wonderful head.

Drinkability: The high abv % does not hurt the drinkability at all. In fact, im in a very pleasant if not giddy mood now. This is just about as close as you can get to a perfect Imperial stout. I concentrated very hard on not being swayed in my review by the hype that this beer gets. But let me be the first to say BELIEVE THE HYPE!

-Cheers2Beers-

cheers2beers, May 10, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

2006

I got three bottles of this stuff, and after this first one, I am sure am glad. My plan is to open up the next one in 6 months, and the next 6 months after that.... hopefully I can wait.

Poured a deep dark black color with a medium tan color head almost like old used motor oil. Had a fusal hops, with chocolate and coffee. Very nice aroma. The flavor was more of the same with lots of chocolate and coffee. A very sweet almost like molasses. Has a fusal hob bitterness that helped mellow it all out very nicely. Wonderful flavor. Mouthfeel is chewable. This was one of the thickest mouthfeels I've had. Mild carbonation. Exceptional beer.

jabocu, May 10, 2006
3.63/5  rDev -16.4%

Pours an absolutel black, with a very, very sparse flecking of tan foam. It would take one heck of a pour to get a head out of this.

Smells of soy, beef jerky, dates, and apricots. Not sure where this soy/teriyaki smell is coming from, but it's pretty distinct.

Tastes of plums, rum, cinnamon, sourdough, and a hint of soy sauce (again with that element, it's almost distracting).

Mouthfeel is big, bold, and a warming alcohol finish. Just enough carbonation to keep this heavy, heavy syrup from becoming a fork-and-knife event.

With the alcohol, and the persistant aftertaste of soy sauce, I really think last year's batch was much easier to drink, which is really too bad. I had my hopes set extremely high for this beer.

waldowin, May 10, 2006
3.93/5  rDev -9.4%

Sampled on-tap at the Brookline Publick House, to match with the huge-ass order of ribs I had there.

Appearance: I just love staring at the black hole sun that only seems to radiate out of RIStouts. Great creamy mocha head looked like a fine Italian espresso.

Smell: It even smelled like a good coffee, with some sprinkles of lake champlain Tanzanian dark chocolate. Piney hop effluves slowly creeped up and alcohol in the finale was and soothing.

Taste: Surprisingly smooth at first, the hop astringency gradually comes along in the end, making a kind of wave that's creamy, then just a bit sweet, then bitter and warm from the alcohol. I wouldn't drink tons of this stuff, but when I have a feel for a RIS I wouldn't mind having some of this.

Goldorak, May 10, 2006
3.88/5  rDev -10.6%

2006

I bought a couple of bottles of this because I am a Stone fan more than I am a fan of stouts. When I first poured this into my glass I was blown away. It was as dark as old used motor oil and the head was a dark chocolatey brown color. I actually took it outside and held it up to the sun and I could not see through it... cool!

The smell was not overpowering, but a nice chocoalte coffee aroma. The taste was good, I was not blown away maybe because I am not a fan of stouts. But this was by far the best stout I have ever had and it had nice very balaced hoppy flavor. The after taste was a nice malty flavor that diappeared quickly. The one think I noticed was the lack of the flavor of alcohol, it a beer that is 10.8% you should taste some alcohol, but I did not really taste it. The mouthfeel was good, nice and thick and it coated you mouth well.

Overall a really interesting beer that I enjoyed. I think was made this beer really unique is the fact that it is so new and already balanced really well without the taste of alcohol... Give it a try if you get a chance.

BradBLR, May 08, 2006

2006

Dense, jet black color with a thin brown head - nice lacing at first but more of a slick coating as it warms. Rich aroma of roasted chocolate malts, complex vinous fruits, sweetened coffee, and alcohol. Thick, intense flavor - rich malts, charred grains, and dark fruits. The alcohol is clearly evident but not a problem - nicely warming on the throat. This is thick viscous stuff, oh yes...lusciously smooth and warm.

This could most likely chill in the cellar for a while to bring out the best of it, but it is pretty damn complex as it is now. Obviously a big, serious brew; one bomber's probably enough for one sitting. A rather tasty stout though, if I may say so myself, but it can only get better after sitting around a while...

wedge, May 08, 2006
4.78/5  rDev +10.1%

2006
As black as it gets, with an inviting warm brown head. Ring forms for the duration and leaves bits of lace about the glass. Aroma of sweet roasted caramel, espresso, burnt black fruits, and extra dark bittersweet chocolate. Taste is loaded with constant luscious awesome. Burnt roasted coffee bean, velvety cocoa, sun ripened raisons, cherries, rasberries, plums, black grapes, and the list goes on. Hop character peels through the density giving an added variety to the sea of dark beery goodness. Mouthfeel is thick like a heavy cashmere winter blanket. Viscous feel as it moves slow motion around your mouth. An oh so long finish coats your mouth. The rich juicy charred fruits and espresso flavor is constant throughout the session. After one sip I wonder if my mouth will ever feel dry or empty again. Drinkability is smooth and easy especially for such a complex, thick, and high alcohol beer.

GREAT

tastybeer, May 08, 2006
3.75/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

2006 bottle. Pours jet black with a small, creamy, tan head. Quickly fading, no lacing. The aroma is very sweet - golden grapes, chocolates and figs. Overall, the nose is suprisingly mellow for a monster Imperial Stout. Flavor is also very sweet - lots of dark fruit, chocolate, molases, becoming bitter and roasted at the end when some coffee and dark chocolates come in. Finish is long, sweet and slightly bitter with a heavy dose of warm alcohol. The mouthfeel is big, rich, creamy and coating. This one is a bit too hot for me, lets hope it mellows with some age.

artusory, May 06, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +4.8%

2006 spring release...

Pours an absolutely pitch black with good sized head. Very cloying to the sides of my glass. This looks to be a thick one.

Smell is of roasted malts dark ripe fruits, mocha, some chocolate, maybe ever alittle smokiness. A wonderful smell. There is alcohol too which is very apparent, but for some reason isn't harsh.

The taste was up front solid, roasted, malts which was backed by wine like cassis and coffee flavors. The final hit is of smoke and a lingering alcohol kick. Very complex.

The overall mouthfeel was good. It was alittle too astringent for my taste , but its what i expect a russian imperial stout should be like. The only thing i didn't like was how the acidity seemed to become more powerful as i drank more of the beer. Also for some reason this beer was not as fullbodied as i expected from such a dark beer.

Overall you can def down more than one of these beers easily. If you love RIS's then this is the beer for you without a doubt. Also i think with age this beer will be unstoppable. I'll try and review one again months from now and see if i can tell the difference.

Drunk Responcibly;) -Matt

mattpetti, May 06, 2006
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Ah, a bomber of quality Imperial Russian stout, indeed a pretty sight. At least as good as a jug of sack, but slightly easier to find for us if not Falstaff. That said, I wish more places near me brought Stone to the table. Usually I have to go Brooklyn for it, as in this case. This is a 220z of the 2004 limited early summer release and has some comical Russian themed randomness on the bottle.
Color is black as night. The beer has no head as it pours, develops one after and it slowly dissolves back to nothing like a perfect circle. The color is pure jet black with tannish lacing and head scraps. Nose is pure coffee malt on overdrive with pine, sugar, and dairy. Alcohol dances lightly in the backround. This is an attractive beer.
Coffee and malt sugar combine in a flavorful but not overwhelming taste with an almost eternal aftertaste. The alcohol is present but understated for the size. Mouthfeel is good but not perfect. Definitely more bitter than many stouts of similar size and reputation.
This isn't quite the greatest stout I've ever had but I will definitely be looking for it again soon.

daliandragon, May 03, 2006
4.9/5  rDev +12.9%

OK again BLACK! Truly [again as pretty much expected] One of the darkest head I've remember seeing. Doesn't last long, and no lace, but that seems pretty typical (?) This is so good! This seems perfectly balanced right now... I'm glad i bought several, but don't know if i will be able to keep any in the "cellar". I "upped" this a bit from the previous review, but ...right now i'd go buy a case of this right now! [if it wasn't a 50 mile drive]
GREAT BEER as stone does now and again!!!

ReDave, May 02, 2006
3.93/5  rDev -9.4%

2006 Edition served in the Stone RIS tulip glass

A: Pours midnight black with a brown 1-1/2 finger head that subsides to a wispy layer of foam. Not much lacing.

S: Full aromas of chocolate, anise, and alcohol.

T: More hop presence than last year's (as I remember) with some typical chocolate and coffee flavors attempting to sneak through but covered by strong alcoholic and metallic tastes. This one needs to wait a bit.

M: Thick and creamy with light-moderate carbonation.

D: Last year's edition was the best beer that I've ever had to date, and this year's was a bit of a dissapointment to me. This is still one of the best beers out there, but not as good as I remember. I'll be cellaring the rest of my bottles in hopes that the flavor will smooth out.

klewis, May 02, 2006
Stone Imperial Russian Stout from Stone Brewing Co.