Stone Imperial Russian Stout - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Imperial Russian StoutStone Imperial Russian Stout

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.60% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-21-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Imperial Russian Stout Alström Bros
3.08/5  rDev -29%

Poured from a bottle into an imperial pint glass

A- black as night with a tan head, light carbination and some nice lacing of the glass

S- very nice coffee malt alcohol, wioth some chocolate undertones

T- far far out of whack, too young needs some years under the belt. Some malt then big overpowing alcohol. Burns a bit going down, warms you up. But a wiskey like burn from a stout, not a good thing

M- balanced feels like a stout, again to much alcohol

D- unfinishable, way to much alcohol in the mouth for this beer to be anyway near refreshing. Some complexity sure but the heavy alcohol taste takes over.

Notes- this is the second of stone's offerings I have tried (VE 6 06.06) in recent days. Both seem to have tons of potential with age, but are to overpowering young. If I buy stone again it will be years before i drink it.

Big and bold, but to much of a good thing

mcarroll10177, Jul 28, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

Alright, at this point we're hanging on by a thread. The line-up of the Madison Big Stout Session has been insane but we've got one to go on courtesy of DaPeculierDane. Deep breath...and here we go.

Pour: Black hole black, nothing escapes under a minimal skim of coffee cream head.

Nose: oatmeal grain/malt, milk chocolate, lactose and caramel sugar.

Taste: Coffee, toffee, vanilla/caramel cream, bittersweet chocolate, a bit of lactose milkiness and booze in the finish.

Feel: boozy thin to medium body, smooth, smooth, smooth

Drinkability/Overall: Mad drinkable for almost 11%, impeccable balance between sweet caramels and toffees and bitter coffees and chocolates and grainy malts. A great cap on a knockdown, dragout night of extreme beer drinking. Cheers, boys.

Golden2wenty1, Jul 27, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

What a great beer for review 100 - thanks to DaPeculierDane for this one...

Appearance: Black, with a 1/2 inch cappucino head. Doesn't leave much by way of lacing. Medium viscosity.

Aroma: Spectacular nose - chocolate, with port notes, raisins, blood plums and green apple skins. A little molasses.

Taste: Wonderfully understated for the style and the level of complexity. Mild chocolate, with cocoa, lactic sours. A little booze on the tongue, but balanced by back palate nuttiness until the slightly vegetal aftertaste. Fruit developments, predominantly raisins, with bursts of brown sugar. Simply fantastic.

Mouthfeel: Smooth in the mouth with a wonderfully dry finish. Low, constant carbonation.

Drinkability: Spectacular - completely drinkable despite a heavy complex flavor and a high ABV. Body carries this brilliantly. One hell of a beer - fantastic whether judged according to style, to flavor, or to sheer drinkability. Thanks again, Dane, for one of the nicest beers I've tasted.

expatsteve, Jul 27, 2006
3.78/5  rDev -12.9%

A: Jet black and very thick, can't see through the glass whatsoever. Unfortunatly even with a hard pour I could only get a very thin tan head that disapeared as soon as it appeared. Very little lacing.

S: Very strong smell of dark fruits and hints of roasted malt and soy sause. The sweet fruit smell is dominant.

T: The super sweet malt hits first reminding me a bit of North Coast's Old Stock, then comes roasted espresso like flavors in the finish. Aftertate is bitter like coffee. Alcohol is present but not overpowering. I was hoping that the roasted flavors would be more dominant then they were.

M: Very thick and creamy. More carbonation than I thought there would be (a good thing). Goes down very smooth for something so heavy.

D: Though it was very good, it's not something I could drink horribly often, but something I would love to have again. This is definitly a sipper, I even shared my 22 and still had a hard time finishing it. Not because I didn't like it, but because it's so rich and heavy. a bomber of this goes a long way.

MLegendre, Jul 22, 2006
3.98/5  rDev -8.3%

I've reviewed the 04 and 05 previously, so this is my most-reviewed beer. Charting the differences has been kind of fun.

Appearance is similar to both of the previous years, if I remember. Jet freakin' black with a substantial tan head and good retention for the style.

Smell is extremely fruity, plums and raisins, with a good amount of espresso in there, as well. Quite boozy when the beer is this young, though, which is why it didn't get a 4.5 or 5.

Taste is more of the same, with a fairly hot alcohol presence. Still very nice, with an intense sweetness that's balanced with an earthy hop and a dark roast coffee/espresso.

Mouthfeel is velvety, creamy and luscious.

Drinkability kind of suffers because of the alcohol hotness and the overall booziness of this one. Still not nearly as boozy as Weyerbacher Heresy, and Heresy is only 8% abv.

veggiemafia, Jul 22, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +3%

An onyx brew that sucks everything else in the room away and leaves you purely focused on the beer and nothing but the beer. The smell then leaves you begging to taste what you know you are expecting. You are smelling the expectation of something so dark, so smooth so rich, yet so mellow that you could swill this stuff down faster than water itself. You finally take a swig and it tastes like a full compliment of laughing licorice soldiers with ginger helmets and their complimentary cavalry of mellow spice horses thundering across the plains of your tounge, You are forced to put more in your mouth uncontrollably. Once you begin to consume you will not wish to stop. Most excellent.

idResponse, Jul 21, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

Summer 2005 Release served at between fridge and cellar temperature.

Appearance- Pours a dark brown viscous liquid with ruby highlights... absolutely stunning color. Thick even on the eyes, the tan head emerges and peaks at almost two fingers. Bubbles randomly pop and fizzle into submission over several minutes.

Smell- A generous, full aroma showcases chocolate, some molasses, and black currants quite well. Heavy and really, really huge... the fruit notes here are much more pronounced compared to every other beer of this style I've tried... save for Dark Lord last year. Awesome and damn impressive.

Taste- Rich, fruity notes of black currants blend seamlessly with the roasty character of chocolate and coffee. The alcohol presence is felt not only in the warmth throughout the body, but certainly in the back end of the tongue during and after the swallow. Bold and decadent... a gargantuan example of a RIS.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Thick and creamy in the mouth... the carbonation is rightfully downplayed in favor of a smooth, slick, viscous experience. I'm savoring each sip, this will take you down if you're not careful. Great beer.

yelterdow, Jul 19, 2006
3.63/5  rDev -16.4%

22 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours an extremely dark brown/black color, and seems like you're pouring chocolate sauce. Looks completely black in the glass and has a small tannish-brown head that turns into a film fairly quick.

Smell: Has most all the smells that you might find in a dark beer: roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, molasses, etc. The overall smell is a bit like a mocha. Maybe a tad overkill, though.

Taste: Very heavy on the malts, with the coffee and chocolate kicking in shortly thereafter. The alcohol is rather apparent at times as well. Somewhat bitter in the aftertaste -- more of a coffee bitterness than a hoppy one.

Mouthfeel: Heavy-bodied and very smooth, with a light bit of tingling. Light burning of alcohol too.

Drinkability: Very high alcohol content (which I don't personally find bothersome), but it's the distinct taste of the alcohol makes it difficult to drink.

One of the better beers I've tried from Stone Brewing Co. This one is over the top as usual, but not as much as the others. The flavor itself is quite good, but it seems as if they dumped some grain alcohol in during bottling. I like to feel alcohol in a beer, but not taste it. This has the distinct taste of hard alcohol -- while I don't mind the taste & feel, I personally don't think that it belongs in a beer. An interesting beer with some major strong points and worth trying, but overall... a novelty.

mithrascruor, Jul 14, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +4.4%

2006 Edition, poured into my Tripel Karmeliet chalice.

Black color, dark brown head that quickly dissipated, I didn't get the head the picture shows, but maybe my glass was dirty. Smell is very nice. Full of chocolate, dark fruit, piney hops, coffee, and I think some oak was present. Taste doesn't let down either, chocolate in the beginning, coffee stepping in before a dry vanilla oak finish. Mouthfeel had great carbonation and was full bodied, heavy on the tongue. Very good beer, I wish I had easier access to it, but it's worth seeking.

badbeer, Jul 13, 2006
4.18/5  rDev -3.7%

I really looked forward to this beer, after hearing so much about it. It poured absolutely pitch black into a snifter and the light from my halogen desk lamp did not even penetrate it, which was impressive. It had a very small tan head and left very little lacing. The smell of baking chocolate and roasted coffee beans predominated, with the taste being of bitter chocolate and espresso. There was very little carbonation and the mouth feel was at the same time heavy and silky, with very lttle carbonation. This is definitely the type of beer that one sips like a fine cognac.

surfmanjim, Jul 09, 2006
4.2/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Let's get straight to the point on this one. It's an amazing beer, but I don't think it's worthy of #3 on Best of BA. Pours black with light brown head and smells a bit sherry-like, chocolatey brandy maybe with a bit of alcohol. The roasted flavors really came our in the flavor. Chocolate, burnt coffe, espresso, more chocolate, and warming alcohol; quite tasty and it really lingers. It has a nice thick mouthfeel, but it took me a while to get through maybe 5-6 oz. I'd call it a great beer, but not an epic.

tempest, Jul 07, 2006
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Limited Spring 2006 Release. I planned on saving it for at least the fall, but I could resist no longer. I used a pint glass. It's viscous. It's opaque black with a creamy, sticky mocha head. It looks formidable.

Complex aroma. Chocolate, coffee, and burnt malts. And alcohol. Other stuff I'm not too sure of. Dark fruit? Black cherries?

Take a few sips and... oh yeah. It's Imperial, all right. At first, I'm thinking bitter chocolate, or coffee without sugar. Keep drinking and more levels of flavor are revealed to you. On the back of the bottle they mention anise and black currants. I will admit, I don't know what those things are. That's why we have Wikipedia:

"Roasting enhances the flavor of anise... also used in anise-flavored liqueurs (such as raki, arak and ouzo) and is the dominant ingredient used in the infamous and sometimes-banned liquor absinthe. It is also used in soft drinks such as root beer."

"Blackcurrants have a very sweet and sharp taste. They are made into jelly, jam, juice, ice cream, cordial and liqueur. In the UK, Europe and Commonwealth countries, some types of confectionery include a blackcurrant flavour, but this is generally missing in the United States, even within the same brand. Instead grape flavour in candy (including grape jelly) almost mirrors the use of blackcurrant in both its ubiquity in the USA, and its rarity on the eastern side of the Atlantic."

Now I know. And now that I think of it, another flavor comes to mind: licorice. Black licorice.

"It should be noted, though, that in most of these [licorice] candies the taste is reinforced by aniseed oil..."

Now I know. I am that much more intelligent and that much more numb after drinking this beer. Yes, it's a sipper. A philosophical sipper. Do not gulp. The alcohol is quite obvious, but it does not detract from the overall flavor profile.

I am nourished, Stone Brewing Company. Well done.

edskirk3, Jul 07, 2006
4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

Man this is a great beer! Saw some at the store and bought the last four bottles they had. The head is light brown and thick, takes a bit to clear up. The taste is heavy stout all the way but I could definately taste the alcohol. Not too big on stouts but love this one. Goes great with a steak! One of my overall favorite beers! Hits you something fierce, don't mess around with this beer!

TheBeerWolf, Jul 05, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It pours like crude oil but looks like black gold to me. The head forms to a nice almost purple-ish hue. Smells like a chocolate coffee and slight alcohol. The taste kicks the crap out of my tongue, with delightfulness of course, bringing to light the smell that was heaved in but plum and raisens crept in to my surprise. Mouthfeel is fantabulous. Yes I just used that word but if you try the damn beer you will see what I mean. The Alcohol, though apparent in the smell, is masked well considering 10.8 %. I think last years offering is a little better but the 2006 early summer release is yet another supurb offering by Stone. An imperial stout that is hard to match.

chelovek, Jul 03, 2006
4.63/5  rDev +6.7%

Heard some good things, so I figured I'd go see for myself....
Bottle opened and poured into awaiting chalice...

Paired with seared steak served over lentils with some Dijon mustard...

A - Even the dark knight of gotham city wasn't this dark. Nice rich head that made a very enticing sound as the bubbles dissipated. Could see hues of auburn and gold when swirling around the glass.

S - Pleasant enough to simply smell. A very blended mature smell that reminded me of cloves, charcoal, oak, coffee, dark chocolate, and dried fruit...oh and a little sharp alcohol at the end.

T - Extremely pleasant. Stouts are not even my favorite type of beer and this baby just put a smile on my face. The flavor was not overwhelmed by the "take-no-crap" 10.8%. A soothing "roasty toasty" warm malt flavor covers the tongue, only to be woken up quickly by an alcohol bite.

M - Simply pleasant and warm...makes you feel as if you're at your grandma's warming your feet by the fire.

D - In one word....scary. In two, scary and delicious!
I finished a whole bottle of this in an afternoon ofcourse..not noticing that this baby is a whopping 10.8%. After my meal and pouring the last remnants into my gullet, my footing wavered and made me wonder "What the hell is in this stuff?" Upon seeing the 10.8%...with a serious face I quietly walked into my bedroom and took a nap.

Very good *sneaky* beer...

Gregorious, Jul 03, 2006
3.85/5  rDev -11.3%

It reminds me a lot of Avery's The Czar.

It actually reminds me a lot of Celebrator. It's got the deep, dark fruit flavours that make Doppelbocks so wonderful -- plums and raisins, most raisins really. This is counterbalanced by a light, powdery 'darkness' that ephemeral bitterness that roasted barley can contribute when used in just the right balance.

As it warms, the alcohol definately becomes more biting. I would say that is really the only flaw with this beer. That, and the hopiness seems to be fighting with the roasted barley. The two, very different kinds of bitterness are really fighting for attention here. It's more like two spoiled brats rather than a heavyweight champion fight.

Yeah, this beer definately does not benefit from warming. Ironic, it is usually the reverse.

shbobdb, Jun 28, 2006
4.18/5  rDev -3.7%

Perhaps the thickest, darkest beer I’ve ever had the pleasure of sampling; pours an oily, opaque black with a rich brown head that EVENTUALLY reduces to a heavy, sprawling lace. The earthy aroma features mainly coffee and chocolate. The robust and very complex palate includes a variety of roasted and burnt flavors such as coffee, bitter chocolate, burnt grain, as well as some dark rum notes and some distinct hints of dark fruit (raisins, plum, etc). The rich, lingering finish has a satisfying burnt bitterness. The mouthfeel is very thick with mildly active carbonation.

What a great Imperial stout: rich, thick with very nice burnt flavors and a great overall complexity. The alcohol is well hidden, barely detectable considering the nearly 11% ABV. It’s not quite as good as in years past, but honestly, the difference is so minimal that it could be my taste buds numbing down or my palate becoming more “demanding.” In any event, it’s still very good and entirely satisfying. Highly recommended.

arguemaniac, Jun 26, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

22 oz. Bomber(S) bottle 2006 spring release.Updated with Spring 2008.

Very thick black color, Totally opaque...are you kidding?Light? No, we're on the darkside here folks! dark-macha brown head, medium in size, stuck around as long as I had the beer in the glass. Dense and thick, reminds me very much of the 30 year old Courage IRS, but even thicker.

The nose is bold and very aromatic: Deep, rich baker's Chocolate, honey roasted almonds,Subtle, rich ground coffee, Great balance of aroma's, with a tremendous balance of peppery, earthy hops.

Many of the top-rated RIS cannot boast about a sublime balance, this one achieves a very high degree of that. The Rich, chalky, full-bodied malt with deep, dark chocolate is only equaled in intensity by a PERFECT earthy, peppery and semi-dry hop counter punch. The flavor is what I imagine a "Peak" Courage IRS would be like, only with a bigger, warmer heat that is not over-powering, but just right. Heady-ass malt with a non-bitter hop finish is exactly what the doctor ordered. Dr. GratefulBeerGuy, that is !

Yum-tastical!

GratefulBeerGuy, Jun 25, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +2.5%

22 oz brown bottle shared with my friend Dave. 2006 Spring Release.

Pours an amazingly black color with a dark head that lasts for a bit. Smell is complex, sweet, roasted, alcohol and a bit of hops. The taste is very nice - a blend of sweetness, alcohol, dark fruit, roasted coffee and a slightly bitter finish. Mouthfeel is nice and thick with little carbonation and a fairly clean finish that leaves the mouth salivating for more. A great beer and RIS. I'm excited to see how it ages.

AaronHomoya, Jun 20, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

I had really hoped to buy more than one so I could age a bottle...but I managed to grab the last bottle from the Bottle Shoppe in Bellingham and it seems like they weren't expecting anymore.

2006 Edition. Brewed and bottled whilst wearing (fake) fur hats.

First, I'll get the bad out of the way. The smell isn't very strong, and comes off as one dimensional. Dark malts, roasted malts. Very faint hops. Slighty vinous scent. Not very strong...typical of Imperial Stouts, but nothing that grabs me.

Drinkable in that this is quite enjoyable for the style...but the big bottle and high ABV limits this to a one, maybe two a night...if you can find that many.

The good. Rich, deep taste. Dark malts, roasted malts, winey and port hints. Lovely black appearance with a thin, quickly dissappating brown head. Thick on the mouth, very little carbonation... Rich, complex body. Excellent imperial stout.

I really enjoy this...worth the praise it gets. Wish I had been able to grab more than one. I look forward to hopefully getting the 2007 release.

BDTyre, Jun 20, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

Inky black, oily, reddish-purple tinge at the edges. Slow-motion fine froth forms eventually. Carbonation is there however, just held in check by the alcohol. Big malt and espresso runs through the nose. Caramel, bittersweet chocolate, orange peel. Syrupy sweet start to the taste - turkish coffee, roasted malt, burnt edges, dark fruits. Long finish slowly turns mildly bitter and earthy. Alcohol shows itself in the aftertaste, a little bit of lip-numbing tongue-tickling burn. Still remains smooth and silky down the hatch. Nothing harsh. Mouthfeel is fine, full and foamy. The aftertaste actually has two parts, at first a mild alcoholic chocolate bitterness, the second being a bright herbal tang.

This stuff is gorgeous and dangerous.

horndecker, Jun 20, 2006

Pours black black black. Half inch of mocha brown head lingers for a long while.

Chocolate roast dominates the smell. Some winey raisin scents as well. Incredible.

Dominating flavor. Sweet chocolate, bitter roast. Caramel, raisins, alcohol. Huge, yet so damn refined. Better than the best wine hands down. Absolutely fantastic.

Smooth and silky on the tongue, incedibly tasty and very drinkable. A finely crafted ale.

nortmand, Jun 20, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

22 oz. 2006 edition, poured into pint glass.

A: Impenetrable jet black with a slight mocha head, which quickly disappears.

S: Wonderful chocolate & coffee smells, with candy and alcohol also present. Robust and complex. It's worth spending a while inhaling this one before taking the first sip. Well, not TOO much time...

T: Stone makes big, overpowering beers and this is no exception. The flavors of IRS are as rich and full as the smell. The chocolate comes off as bittersweet, the caramelly-candy melds nicely with a warm alcohol finish. Bitterness and maltiness nicely balanced.

M: The alcohol and bittersweet flavors make this beer slightly clingy on the palate, but the flavors are so good I hardly mind. Very thick, full-bodied.

D: Very enjoyable as a sipping beer. Only gets better as it warms. I finished the bottle over the course of about 90 minutes, savoring the flavors in between sips.

Overall, an excellent beer; understandable why it's so highly rated on BA. I have 3 more bottles which I'll keep in the basement to enjoy over the 12-18 months.

msubulldog25, Jun 19, 2006
4.3/5  rDev -0.9%

OK, here's the scoop on the 2004 release:

Poured a dark, impenetrable black with a chocolate milkshake-colored head. Smelled of chocolate -- unsweetened cocoa and dark chocolate, with a tad bit of fruity sweetness. Mmmm. Candy. A truly enticing scent.

As for taste: my first thought was the alcohol -- it was more up front than in the 2006. Next I noticed the chocolate and a bit of licorice, fighting with the malt and coffee flavors for dominance. Not sure any one of them was declared the winner, and oddly enough (compared to the 2006 at least), the hops were pretty muted. Not sure if it's because this is a different recipe or because the aging had toned down that bitterness, allowing the malty, sweet flavors to take charge. . . .

Mouthfeel: I described it as thick and rich but also velvety, with just a tad bit of carbonation dancing around in there. Definitely a heavy beer, but relatively modest in heft on the tongue. Nice balance.

All in all we were most impressed with the nose of the 2004 compared to the 2006. But on taste the general consensus was that the 2006 was a little bit better. But both are excellent. If you find them, buy them. And enjoy.

Drinkability: The high ABV and taste of alcohol detracts from the overall drinkability. However, I'd love to have a couple of these while sitting by a campfire on a cool Fall night.

A shout out to MRMOJORISIN for sharing from his obscenely well-stocked stash.

Kendo, Jun 14, 2006
4.08/5  rDev -6%

This is a very strong brew. Most things that stone make are this way so I expected a powerful drink. The Appearance is like oil. Its thick and dark as night. The smell is fantastic. All I can say is interesting. Black curant and even wildberry notes are in this. The taste is intense. Strong and hard to break down. There are similar tastes to the smell with notes of coffee and even chocolate. The mouthfeel is my only complaint. Its almost dirty, but in a good way. Not my bag but I can tell its a fine brew. Not something I will buy again so I cant give a 5 on drinkability.

Kicksmile67, Jun 12, 2006
Stone Imperial Russian Stout from Stone Brewing Co.