Join our email list →

Stone Imperial Russian Stout - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Imperial Russian StoutStone Imperial Russian Stout

Stone Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Russian Imperial Stout | 10.60% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-21-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Imperial Russian Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,682 | Hads: 8,000
4.72/5  rDev +8.8%

Nightmare black pour. Fluffy head the color of espresso foam lasts for about 30 seconds. No lace, no ring, no cling, although it is obviously viscous and tarry. Not really expected at this high ABV.

Aroma meets me before I even get my nose in there. Powerful chocolate and coffee, shadowed by dark fruits, anise, charred malts, creme brule', and sweet alcohol. Very deep and complex nose.

Flavor starts off with unsweetened espresso mocha, high%-cacao dark chocolate, rum soaked plum and berries, creamy dark caramel, a hint of smoke, and piney/floral hops in the finish. A bit of sweetness is apparent somewhere in the middle, and in the finish. Superbly balanced. The level of hops is perfect and allows the glorious dark malt flavors to take center-stage. The finish on this beer is unbelievably long.

Mouthfeel is just shy of big, with a very oily, almost syrup-like texture and a slick, creamy mouthfeel. This beer is pure bliss to drink. It satisfies me on every level. Thank God I have one more bottle!

Thanks to GClarkage for the samples.

4.7/5  rDev +8.3%

My long wait for the 2005 vintage is over, and my tears of joy have yet to stop flowing. I had a single sip of this last year and have been counting th days since. On with the review.

So i poured from the bottle to glass and the color is rich dark black, couldn't see through to the other side. aroma is definately roasted with chocolate and coffee notes. Mouthfeel is full bodied with a lasting aftertaste. A bit rough around the edges as it leaves your mouth almost a bit puckered, but I have been assured that aging does wonders for this one. The head was thick caramel with a definate java note. I can't wait to drink this one again, and again, and again. Thank you Stone!!!

4.23/5  rDev -2.5%

2005 Vintage

Pours a dark deep black no light thru this one big fluffy chocolate head but not much lace.

Aroma is lots of roasted malt big coffee aromas mingled with alcohol and hops. Some chocolate and fruit mingled underneath.

Taste is well a little hot and rough on this one some cellaring should help mellow it to perfection. Taste is big lots of roasted malt packing big coffee flavors upfront. Have the fruit dipped in sweet chocolate underneath trying to mellow out some of the harshness. Alcohol is noted and finishes with a nice dose of hops pine/grapefruit west coast style.

Mouthfeel is nice big full flavored loads of malt.

Drinkability is good still a nice IRS but doesn't live up to the 04 yet which seemed perfect fresh. Then it has been a year and I have had lots of big Stouts since then so maybe my tastes have matured either way believe this one will only improve with age. Have to do a tasting this winter 04 vs 05.

4.82/5  rDev +11.1%

Pours a pitch black color with no hue and has a minimal light brown head with very little lacing.

Roasted and nutty milk chocolate malt aroma with some molasses, and has pine and some herb with the smell of citrus hops.

Wow this is a good Stout, I'm savoring the taste. A moderately sweet and almost heavy bitter, roasted and nutty milk chocolate malt taste with molasses and coffee, flowery herbal and pine hops flavor with lime and grapefruit/orange.

Full bodied, dry and creamy texture, soft and lively carbonation, and has a smooth metallic and heavy alcohol finish with a light astringency.

Very drinkable for a RIS however something one would want to savor with a good steak or close the evening right before bed.

3.86/5  rDev -11.1%

Wow, the head on this beer is darker than most beers I'm drinking these days. Beautiful chocolate brown head and dark, almost syrupy-pouring beer. The taste isn't syrupy, though, as the carbonation cuts through nicely. The body in this beer reminds me of Double Bastard, but the flavor is (of course) a more chocolatey, coffee taste. I don't get the "dark fruits" that a RIS is supposed to contain, but I think my tongue (or my brain?) is less sensitive to the fruity esters that beers contain. This beer is probably too over-the-top for an August evening such as right now, but I think I'll be picking up another of these in the winter!

3.9/5  rDev -10.1%

22 oz bottle of the Summer 2005 version. Pours a completely opaque midnight black. It has a small and fizzy head that is the darkest brown head I've seen. The head quickly goes down to a thin ring.

The aroma is sugary lactic cocoa with some anise, coffee and a little fruitiness.

The flavor is sweet chocolate and fruits that quickly morphs into a strong burnt, somewhat acidic, licorice bitterness with a noticeable alcohol finish. The mouthfeel is very full-bodied and viscous with light carbonation.

Overall, a solid brew. A little strong on the sweetness and the alcohol in my opinion.

4.82/5  rDev +11.1%

This bottle obtained via BIF10 from Gueuzedude. Many thanks for this treat!

This is review #500

Wonderfully rich aroma of dark malts and fruits. Alcohol. Heavy rich sweetness. A slight oxidized state from aging. A little wild hop aroma hanging around on the fringes round it off nicely. Greatly complex.
Black as pitch, with one of the darkest heads ever that starts off heavy but in time settles into a persistent ring.
The flavor is the kicker on this. Extremely heavy and rich without being over the top. Roast more abundent than the fruits. Ever increasing bitterness rounds off the drink with an extended dryness. Again bold with without excess.
Thick and chewy mouthfeel of just the right lower level carbonation. Soft and smooth, but not quite velvety. Very nice nonetheless.
This drink holds all the right elements. Complete and complex. In the words of my fellow MN BA's Yum!

An early summer 2004 addition that I sat on for over 1 year. It's aged beautifully.

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours an opaque black, black as night with a thick dark brown head. Very lacy. Smells malty, roasted maltiness, sweet chocolate malt and alcohol.

Tastes of alcohol, burnt malt and coffee. Milky too. Oaky vanilla. Tastes kind of like those little chocolate bottles filled with liquor. Rich malt and some alcochol burn in the finish. Creamy mouth and smoky on the back of the throat that lingers. A sipper to be sure but very good. Could stand a little aging and I'll bet it would age very well.

4.48/5  rDev +3.2%

This was the 2004 release.

Pours from the bomber a jet black and stunningly thick with a nice brown head.

Smell is heavy hops, chocolate, and espresso.

Taste, oh the taste, was dark chocolate, coffee, and bitter hops up front. Body is very full and mouthfilling. Sweet malt is balanced by massive hops, and rounded out by the dark coffee taste. This is a massive beer. Finish is long and sweet with snappy and bitter hops.

Wow, what a beer. I couldn't drink too many of these in one sitting, definitely a sipper, however, it was calling my name long after it was gone. Amazing.

4.17/5  rDev -3.9%

2005 Release

Jet black, sun-blocking, motor oil like liquid with a 1/4" tan head. The head fell down to a swirly cap rather quickly. Some lacing.

A intense roasted aroma and alcohol dominated the nose in its preliminary stages. As the beer warmed sweet dark fruits and malts were detectable. No doubt this beer has some hops but they are in the shadows.

The first thing that hit my tastebuds was saltiness. That faded quickly and was a strange sensation. As the beer opened up I detected licorice, espresso and burnt toast. This is a very deep complex tasting brew. I tasted some earth and nuttiness as well. The alcohol is very prominent in the taste right now as well. Best way to describe this RIS is intense!

The mouthfeel is thick, rich, full-bodied, and creamy. The beer has a very long finish with its burnt, roasted character swirling around the mouth long after it has been swallowed. It is definitely alcohol forward right now. Good for sipping, has a big warming effect.The drinkability will definitely improve with age. This could easily be part of the Vertical Epic series, I don't doubt at all that it will hold up that long.

4.32/5  rDev -0.5%

This was quite possibly the greatest Imperial Stout I've ever had. Dark, rich, it was a treat to drink this. It poured black, witha brown head that laced as I drank it down. The aromas were so complex I don't really know where to start. There was Cherry, oak, chocolate, roasted coffee, vanilla, and many more. The flavor was just as complex. It reminded me of a nice bourdeux, with lots of chocolate, coffee, roasted nuts, vanilla, cherries. The mouthfeel was silky smooth, and glorious. I can't say anymore other than wow.

4.68/5  rDev +7.8%

Summer 2005 release. Stone Imperial Stout. "Russian" has been omitted from this release due to Uncle Sam's red tape. The laws restricting the naming of beer have recently been amended. This will be reflected in the next release.

Presentation: 22 ounce bomber. Standard Stone Brewery spiel. Poured into an Arrogant Bastard pint glass.

Appearance: Blacker than Lucifer's soul. Beautiful three-quarter inch thick head the color of toffee and brown sugar. Surprisingly little lacing.

Smell: Hints of chocolate, mocha, with a somewhat fruity undertone. Brown sugar and molasses dominate my nose. An entire dessert shop in one bottle.

Taste: Oh lord. Chocolately, sweet, wonderfully tasty. A bittersweet coffe/mocha flavor hits a second later. Hints of prune, and very little alcohol. Acidity and bitterness seem to keep each other perfectly in check. More than 4.5, less than 5.0, what am I to do?

Mouthfeel: Easily my favorite part of this beer. Smooth and creamy. Feels like a milk stout going down. Velvet is the first word that comes to mind. I would give it a 6 if I could.

Drinkability: Amazing. You WILL drink this a little too quickly; there is no stopping yourself.

overall: As a relatively inexperienced BA, this beer seems to fit PERFECTLY within it's style. This is a wonderful treat. A dessert unto itself. If you are a fan of big beers, you MUST try this.

4.08/5  rDev -6%

App: Deep black with thin brown head that dissipates quickly. Little to no lacing.

Smell: A bit hoppy and citrusy with a touch of coffee and chocolate

Taste: Lots of coffee and chocolate. Bittersweet finish with the alcohol coming through to leave a small sting. Espresso aftertaste.

Mouth: Smei-heavy and slippery. Good carb.

Drink: Good

Overall: Very solid IRS from stout. There's still a few in my book that are better, but very good nonethless.

3.8/5  rDev -12.4%

Update 9/21/2006: Tried the "early spring 2006 bottle". The mouthfeel is very good, somewhat creamy. finish is clean. Flavors are as before, I'm raising my original review from 3.5 to 4 on the taste and mouthfeel. The fizzy wisky is not as I originally reviewed - yes, there is some, but at over 10% I'd think some alcohol flavor exists. I'm finding "fizzy wisky" more like "rich RIS style" than I originally percieved. Year to year variation? I would say my tastes and perceptions are more the discrepancy here. In any case, TRY THIS!!!

This pours from the "early spring 2005 bottle" quite thick! Aaah, yes, the rich Imperial stout! Dark brown that light hardly passes through - I'll have to pour another during daylight to see if sunlight can peak through. No head, too much alcohol I guess.

smell - alcohol, malt and molassis. In a good way.

Taste - a bit thick on the alcohol, richly sweet, but hardly a balance that I would expect. I'll have to revisit that bottle of Great Lakes Blackout Stout and give it another try to compare, (I will update this review if my taste buds are skewed today), but it seems that this all alcohol and sweetness with little other stuff to balance it out. Too much like fizzy wiskey for my tastes.

Mouthfeel is a bit flat and thick too.

Finish is a little rough going down. That thickness turns a bit thick on the way down, with a bit of bitter unpleasentness.

I tend to like some Russian Imperial Stouts. I like Great Lakes Blackout and North Coasts Old Rasputin - but this one lacked the balance needed to hide the heavy alcohol a bit. Please try one anyway, I've love every other offering I have tried from Stone.

I will re-review this if I've found today was just an off day. I'm surprised I'm not giving this at least a 4, but it just isn't cutting it per my tastes.

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

presentation: bomber with the usual stone gargoyl painted graphics. colors are silver and blue. for some reason the word "russian" isn't on the front of the bottle. it is however in stone's description on the back of the bottle. "limited early summer 2005 release" is printed on the bottle. serving temperature is displayed at 55 degrees and the ABV is displayed at 10.8%.

appearance: pours a midnight black with little noticible highlights into an oversided wine goblet. head is a half-inch burnt sienna color with tight fluffy bubbles. disapates quickly, but hidden bubbles rise to the top leaving a thin layer all the way down. lacing is minimal.

smell: sweet with a dominant espresso coffee nose. some alcohol and some chocolate and bananas after swirling.

taste: dominant coffee with caramel. roasted nuts and barley. very complex with prunes, chocolate and caramel taking turns taking command. medium bitter and light alcohol finish. i love it. so complex and yet very balanced.

mouthfeel: thick, smooth and creamy. good acidity and carbonation. perfect mouthfeel for this style in my opinion.

drinkability: very drinkable...at first. then the alcohol hits you. i noticed a little buzz by the end of the bomber from hasty drinking. as the brew warms, the alcohol taste becomes more evident. but you wanna drink it. you havta drink it....

overall: for the longest time north coast's old rasputin has been my favorite RIS, but this years RIS by stone is a little bit better. appearance and drinkability are the only things that bring it down. i've yet to drink a better russian imperial stout.

3.89/5  rDev -10.4%

Incredibly black - won't even let light shine through. A thick, chocolaty head with good amounts of lacing; the head recedes fairly quickly. The body is as thick as it is dark, pouring with a consistency almost like that of real maple syrup. Only light carbonation after the pour. If the head were a little thicker, alittle creamier, and lasted longer I would have given it a 5.0.

Very strong smelling at first, but less so as head dies down. I smell something that reminds me of soy sauce, also a little anise and coriander. The light carbonation probably lends to the dissipating nose. As it warms the nose starts to reappear, but slightly. At the end of the glass, I begin to smell the alcohol; but only slightly.

This is my first Imperial Stout, so I'm not sure exactly how this beer is *supposed* to taste. I definitely taste a medium-strong bitterness that lasts after I finish drinking. I can taste the anise and a malty sweetness very well. A slightly metallic aftertaste lingers a few moments after swallowing. The flavors change as the beer warms up and its character definitely moves towards that of a Scotch Ale.

This is exactly what I expected an Imperial Stout to feel like. It is very thick with a consistency like whole milk. It leaves a sticky sensation on my lips, as if I had been eating a candy. As thick as it was to begin with, it gets even thicker as it warms. Silky is probably a better way to describe it.

This is a very strong beer, not in any particular area but as a whole. It's bitter but not incredibly bitter. It's thick but not syrupy. It has a powerful nose that dissipates quickly. It's very malty but not quite like a Scotch Ale. It wasn't very carbonated, but I would expect as much from a stout without one of those little Guinness nitro-widget thingies. I think this beer might take me close to an hour to drink even if I wasn't writing a review while drinking it. Even so, the taste makes me wish I could drink it faster.

I like this beer. It has a good, strong taste that isn't characteristic of normal stouts. It has a beautiful appearance and incredible mouthfeel. It is incredibly dynamic as the flavors change while the beer warms. On the downside, it is a little hard to drink - this is definitely a meal in itself. I think the taste definitely improved as the beer warmed up, though towards the end the alcohol got a little strong. If it weren't for that and the quickly dissippating nose, I would have given this a very high score. Overall, however, a very good beer.

4.4/5  rDev +1.4%

Black...opaque, with a minimal head by the time it arrived. Firm ring of foam atop the brew. The nose lacked the complexity that I was expecting, some coffee, a little licorice. But the taste...semi-sweet chocolate start, bitter coffee, anise and hops, all working together and standing apart. Where was all of this in the nose? Mouthfeel is oily, full and the finish is marathon length. All the flavors reappear and linger long after the swallow. Find it. Drink it. Enjoy.

4.37/5  rDev +0.7%

2K5 release.

Impenetrable black body with a shaved chocolate colored head.

Smells like sweetened cocoa powder. No hop notes.

Dark roasted coffee, chocolate with a slight tang and a sweet finish. I can find some bittering hops, but they are very well hidden beneath the dark malts. Little to no alcohol profile.

Thick like whole milk. Fantastic! Carbonation is low, but there is some CO2 bite present.

Too bad this is nearly 11% because it is wonderfully smooth and drinkable.

Stellar RIS! Kudos to Stone. Certainly a beer to look forward to each year.

4.67/5  rDev +7.6%

Let's work down from 5 on this bad mofo, because it seems appropriate.

It's presentation boasts a totally black body--carbonation invisible thereby--and a dark tan head. It loses marks for a light, easily erased foam cover--but thankfully it comes back with a little swirl, because DAMN is that foam delicious. Creamy and bursting with flavor, MMMM so good. Demerits for poor lacing. Also, the bottle is standard-issue Stone awesomeness, with an essay and random funny tidbits (it was brewed during a jig...).

The smell has coffee, chocolate, caramel, but I don't know what "anise" is so it may or may not be there (like the bottle notes say). Loses a point for potent alcohol scent...nah, it doesn't, because it smells good next to the (roasted?) malt flavors.

Tastes fantasmorgasmic. Everything from the nose is back, plus cherries, a brilliantly enjoyable cloying-like sensation, and something reminiscent of heavy cream. Grapefruit comes through when the carbonation hits. Goes well with sour cream and burrito, by the way. Apple is in there, I think, and maybe--is that pear? Well, other fruits. And a wonderfully balanced hop/malt ratio. Alcohol is put in context.

Amazing texture! Silky but with so much flavor as it runs by. Smooth but biting somehow...great for such a strong and dark brew. Deserves its place among the top 10.

Motor Oil appearance and pour with dark tan head that takes a while to develope and quickly fades with a bit of lacing.

The smell is outstanding. malty rich flavors, chocolatey with a touch of coffee ....mostly sweet but not overpowering. Alcohol is evident to balance the sweetness.

Taste was Oh OH sooo good...The best imperial stout I've ever tasted. while the only slight ding could be in appearance ( I personally loved the appearance but to some it may be a bit lacking in (head/retention) Syrup mouthfeel is perfect for a big stout and alcohol warming is off the charts nothing overbearing and well hidden but wow a nice cheek warming drink. God DAMN!!! every once in a while a beer is so good all I can do is cuss and emberass myself with excitement. Hey its an Imperial and lets you know all along the way. Loved this beer...Greatness from STONE.

4.13/5  rDev -4.8%

EDIT: Now includes a 2005 release notes (7/28/05)- I didn't do a separate review, because the scores are pretty much the same, and much of the descriptive info is the same too. The big difference- seems more coffee-like rather than bitter chocolate. But it's bitter coffee. And the alcohol notes are really strong- too much for this lover of a kinder, more gentle (but still full flavored) beer. But the flavor profile is still pretty nice in mid-drink, just rough at the end.

Early Summer, 2004 varietal, found in a little out of the way liquor store in July of 2005. I actually thought it was the new vintage when I bought it- I was pleasantly surprised when I got it home. I may pick some more up and compare with the '05 soon. Great little bits on the label like "Limited... Release, Bogartski while you can" and "Brewed and bottled while doing a Cossack dance by...." the Stone boys do have a sense of humor!

Jet black racing motor oil, with a beautiful brown soap-bubble head that quickly subsides, leaving a little lacing. I love this look.

Aroma is actually not all that strong. Good roasty malt profile, with slight bitter chocolate. I looked for coffee, didn't find it.

Flavor is great with one off note. The overall blending of the roasted malts in a rich, very full mouthfeel is marvelous. My only kicker is that it has a stronger alcohol back end than I like.

Overall, very good, but watch out for the alcohol- not to be taken lightly, comrade!

4.9/5  rDev +12.9%

2005 Edition

Poured into a chalice, this beer becomes a black hole within my home office. Light may enter this brew...but absolutely none is allowed to escape. It is capped with a ½" of malted-milk style foam which seemed to be chased off within a minute by the alcohol esters emitted from the goblet opening.

The nose, as a precursor to actually tasting the body, does a very good job of readying the palate. Ripe with chocolate, molasses, black currant, and heady alcohol, this stout is nothing but serious business.

Entry is silky smooth, getting support from a perfect level of carbonation. The deeply roasted malts lead headlong into the midtaste, quickly followed by layer after silky layer of chocolate covered fruits, molasses, and toffee. The finish is ushered in by a fast appearing wall of hoppiness which quickly disperses into a beautiful, alchohol-warming, slow malt fade which warms both the throat and the heart...

4.28/5  rDev -1.4%

This review pertains to the limited edition 2005 early summer release. Black as night with a malted milk head that faded fairly fast. Some small smatterings of lacing were evident. It poured a thick almost motor oil like consistency. Aroma was of dark fruits, raisins, plums, and some roastiness. Alcohol in strong evidence. Taste was superb, one to sip, with all the above mentioned aromas figuring strongly as well in the taste profile. Thick and rich on the palate, with some chocolate notes I may add. This kicks your butt folks, I went right to bed after I had my bottle. More appropriate for a cold winter night but thankfully I had a coolish summer night to try it on. A very decadent big big beer.

4.53/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

====
2005 Vintage
Presentation: Limited Early Summer 2005 Release on the bottle.

Appearance: Motor oil viscous almost syrupy thick. Dense black with a brown carbonated head. The head doesn't last long and quickly settles to ring the glass nicely.

Smell: Dried plums, raisins, vanilla, a bit of oak, also some alcohol esters noted. Truly magical.

Taste: Very raw and vinous. A touch of smoke, vanilla bean, dark roasted malts, bitter chocolate, french roasted coffee all beat the heck out of my palate.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and slightly creamy. The carbonation balances out nicely. There is a long, coffee bitterness to the finish.

Drinkability: One to sip and savor. A fine summer tradition. A bit raw and I can't wait to see what some age does to this.

Strongly recommended.

Yup, a perfect score. 2005 Issue

This beer was amazing. I have to admit, not being much of a stout drinker, I was a bit intimidated. But it welcomed me with big, black warm open arms.

Poured opaque black and thick, like pouring vegetable oil.
Head resembled chocolate mousse
Lacing stuck around, used a pint glass, tonight I will use a goblet.
Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy coating my toungue and teeth
The drinkibility was what I was really surprised by.
To go into the complexity of the flavors is a bit daunting. In no particular order, chocolate, coffee, fig, currant, prune.

Malty but not too sweet, hops are there for a bit of a bitter finish, but definitely not a stand out characteristic. Warmed me all over. If I could give it a 4.995 I would, because I can't wait to taste this after I cellar it for a few years.

Stone Imperial Russian Stout from Stone Brewing Co.